[REMOVE ADS]

Bruce Springsteen covers soul

First video from the Nov. 11 release "Only the Strong Survive" is this soul stomper :

Oops. I see that this was already posted [twice] yesterday in the Soulful Detroit Forum, but there may be some Motown fans who don't check there- so for them- here it is!

I wonder where and when Bruce Springsteen would have first heard this song.

Methinks everybody in the world would have heard it! in the UK it had been used on a number of TV adverts. As much as I like him, Bruce murdered it !

I typically hate it when anybody white dares to duplicate The Motown Sound, but I've gotta admit that when I recently discovered Bruce Springsteen's new version of the Motown Frank Wilson chestnut "Do I Love You", I was not only pleasantly surprised but impressed! Bruce has now racked up at least two tributes to two of my favorite entities in the entire world -- Phil Spector [["A Fine, Fine Boy" duet with Darlene Love") and now Motown's "Do I Love You". I hope Bruce has a big hit on his hands with it.

This is really not bad at all. I don’t know much of Bruce’s music, and I'm not really a fan of his singing [then or now], but I might just get this album. It looks like a pretty good collection of songs… more interesting than some other soul/Motown cover albums. Tracks include "Don't Play That Song", "I Wish It Would Rain", and even "Seven Rooms of Gloom"!!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-06-2022 at 06:12 PM.

I also found this quite nice story:
    https://www.wigantoday.net/news/peop...-of-it-3865480

Over the years, i have heard some awful covers of Motown records, one of the worst being Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers' version of "Where Did Our Love Go".
    As revivals go, this is rather good and a lot stronger than, say, Rod Stewart's "This Old Heart of Mine".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Over the years, i have heard some awful covers of Motown records, one of the worst being Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers' version of "Where Did Our Love Go".
    Even worse than Adam Ant's?

Here's Bruce's cover of The Commodores' "Nightshift".

This is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Even worse than Adam Ant's?
    Looking at it objectively, PJ & J's version was far worse. As a cover, it was in direct competition with the Supremes and would have deprived it of some sales, thus jeopardizing its chances to be a hit. Adam Ant's version, on the other hand, was was a revival and could even have stimulated interest in the original.
    Subjectively , I have missed out on hearing the Adam Ant version over the years and have no wish to inflict it upon my delicate ears.