[REMOVE ADS]

Imagination Feat. Leee John: 40 Years release date January 20, 2023

After discreetly having pre-release album cuts played on the UK’s pirate jazz-funk and soul stations, IMAGINATION, with their charismatic lead singer, LEEE JOHN, burst onto the scene in May 1981, when their debut single ‘Body Talk’ entered the UK Charts at #68, with it peaking at #4 on 18th July 1981, having gained momentum after their momentous and unforgettable debut performance on BBC One’s Top Of The Pops on 4th June 1981.
    In the period 1981-1983, IMAGINATION had hits in almost 30 countries around the world, with very high popularity across Europe, especially in France, Italy, Benelux and Germany, whilst also appearing in the Billboard US Dance and R&B Charts on a regular basis in the throughout the ‘80s. They really were a internationally successful British group, earning numerous
    Platinum, Gold and Silver discs, for hit singles ‘Flashback’, In And Out Of Love’, the much-sampled ‘Just An Illusion’ and ‘Music And Lights’, ‘New Dimension’, ‘State Of Love’, ‘Looking At Midnight’ and ‘Thank You My Love’ and albums BODY TALK, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, SCANDALOUS, NIGHT DUBBING, CLOSER and LIKE IT IS.
    IMAGINATION worked with legendary producers Tony Swain/Steve Jolley, Arthur Baker, Nigel Wright, Preston Glass, Nick Martinelli and Ron ‘Have Mercy’ Kersey, and had tracks remixed by David Morales, Frankie Knuckles, Mike Pickering, Graeme Park, Victor Simonelli and Larry Levan.
    “40 YEARS” is a career-encompassing retrospective of IMAGINATION’s and LEEE JOHN’s recorded music output, with 189 tracks across 17CDs, including all of their studio albums from 1981’s BODY TALK, up until 2016’s RETROPIA.
    “40 YEARS” also features a 2-disc collection of Unreleased Trax, Mixes & Demos, a 2-disc collection of alternate and unreleased mixes from CLOSER in Closer Revisited, a Live Trax disc from several shows spanning the decades and a disc of extended versions in 12” Singles Selection.
    “40 YEARS” was conceived and personally curated by LEEE JOHN and to celebrate the box set’s release, the initial pressing includes a limited edition print signed by Leee John.

17CD, Boxset

• Conceived and curated by Leee John
    • 189 tracks across 17 CDs
    • Contains all Imagination & Leee John studio albums

https://www.classicpopmag.com/2022/0...ing-leee-john/

Great to see this coming out. The hardest working man in UK soul!

I've ordered of course but a shame it doesn't include the Instrumental of Just An Illusion that was on the original single B-side. I think this remains unreleased on CD.

This is one of those groups I know nothing about, but I'm pretty sure I’d be a fan if I did. I know I like "Just An Illusion" and "Flashback" but I couldn’t tell you how they go.

One to look into for sure