[REMOVE ADS]

Bruce Springsteen Soul Covers Album, ‘Only the Strong Survive’ [Columbia-11/11/2022]

From BestClassicBands.com-
    Bruce Springsteen has announced a new album, Only the Strong Survive, of classic soul covers. The collection’s 15 tracks include his remakes of favorites by the Temptations, the Four Tops, Aretha Franklin and more. The album, coming Nov. 11, 2022, via Columbia Records, is named for the 1969 Jerry Butler single, a 1969 R&B and pop hit. Springsteen had been teasing the collection since Sept. 26 with a series of social media posts.

Springsteen’s 21st studio album will also feature guest vocals by Sam Moore [of Sam and Dave fame], as well as contributions from the E Street Horns, full string arrangements by Rob Mathes and backing vocals by Soozie Tyrell, Lisa Lowell, Michelle Moore, Curtis King Jr., Dennis Collins and Fonzi Thornton.
    In the Sept. 29 announcement, Springsteen said, “I wanted to make an album where I just sang. And what better music to work with than the great American songbook of the Sixties and Seventies? I’ve taken my inspiration from Levi Stubbs, David Ruffin, Jimmy Ruffin, the Iceman Jerry Butler, Diana Ross, Dobie Gray and Scott Walker, among many others. I’ve tried to do justice to them all—and to the fabulous writers of this glorious music. My goal is for the modern audience to experience its beauty and joy, just as I have since I first heard it. I hope you love listening to it as much as I loved making it.”

1. Only the Strong Survive
    2. Soul Days feat. Sam Moore
    3. Nightshift
    4. Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do)
    5. The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore
    6. Turn Back the Hands of Time
    7. When She Was My Girl
    8. Hey, Western Union Man
    9. I Wish It Would Rain
    10. Don’t Play That Song
    11. Any Other Way
    12. I Forgot to Be Your Lover feat. Sam Moore
    13. 7 Rooms of Gloom
    14. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted

15. Someday We’ll Be Together

As a Bruce fan [[not a fanatic, but a fan) this should be fun.

This could have been interesting 20 years ago when his voice was more formidable.

I like it. This is powerful, captures the motown feel...full strings and full chorus. Well produced. I like this much better than Phil Collins tribute.

What a great lineup of songs. Some very familiar, some not so familiar. I am very pleasantly surprised to see the inclusion of the Walker Brothers song “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore” which isn’t usually considered a soul or rhythm and blues song, but which was, in my opinion, produced with a lot of influence from both Motown and Phil Spector recordings. And how great that he’s closing the album with one of the best “farewell“ songs ever written. Can’t wait to hear this set.

I don’t like these culture vulture projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a great lineup of songs. Some very familiar, some not so familiar. I am very pleasantly surprised to see the inclusion of the Walker Brothers song “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore” which isn’t usually considered a soul or rhythm and blues song, but which was, in my opinion, produced with a lot of influence from both Motown and Phil Spector recordings. And how great that he’s closing the album with one of the best “farewell“ songs ever written. Can’t wait to hear this set.
    Hi Kenneth!

I believe this is the original recording of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwS2SqNbEM

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Kenneth!

I believe this is the original recording of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" -

Best regards
    Heikki
    Yep; Frankie Valli was the first one to record "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" [and it was one of the first recordings that The Four Seasons issued under Valli's name in the '60s]. However, the song was only a minor hit for him in 1965 and a major hit for The Walker Bros. the following year.

Heikki,

I had no idea that Frankie Valli even recorded it. I see it is by the writers who wrote for the 4 Seasons very frequently. It’s nice but I don’t think anyone’s vocal could compare to Scott Walker’s. Now if you tell me the lead vocal was actually by one of the other “Walker“ brothers, I’ll really be upset!

Heikki,

I had no idea that Frankie Valli even recorded it. I see it is by the writers who wrote for the 4 Seasons very frequently. It’s nice but I don’t think anyone’s vocal could compare to Scott Walker’s. Now if you tell me the lead vocal was actually by one of the other “Walker“ brothers, I’ll really be upset!
    I'd Like to add that one of things about The Walker Bros. version of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" is that it's got a similar feel to the classic Righteous Bros. songs from this era like "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", "Just Once In My Life" & "[You're My] Soul And Inspiration". The original version of "The Sun.." by Frankie Valli doesn't have that.

are some songs so special in their own setting [DO I LOVE YOU ] that they are untouchable ....

a real voice over real instruments

Oh Im definitely buying this CD. I love me some Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I'd Like to add that one of things about The Walker Bros. version of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" is that it's got a similar feel to the classic Righteous Bros. songs from this era like "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", "Just Once In My Life" & "[You're My] Soul And Inspiration". The original version of "The Sun.." by Frankie Valli doesn't have that.
    You are right...they really do have the same vibe. I think both the Walkers and the Righteous Bros. arrangements borrowed heavily from Phil Spector. But what a great song it is.

I continue to be amazed by the number of "pop" songs that were thought to be originals that were first recorded by the Four Seasons. What an accolade!
    Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Kenneth!

Best regards
    Heikki

You are right...they really do have the same vibe. I think both the Walkers and the Righteous Bros. arrangements borrowed heavily from Phil Spector. But what a great song it is.
    The Walker Brothers had multiple goes at getting this song right, and their first attempt was actually set at a similar tempo to the Frankie Valli original. It also drew more influences from it.

It sounds OK and better-produced in its stereo mix than Frankie's version sounds in its stereo mix, but whoever had the idea of increasing the tempo was the genius who made the track the smash that it eventually became.

Makes me wonder how an uptempo version by Frankie might have fared.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I don’t like these culture vulture projects.
    I'm not a great fan of Bruce Springsteen's normal singing style, but on the Western Stars album he sings extremely tunefully, extremely soulfully, and extremely well. That album is great to listen to all the way through and is lacking Bruce's normal efforts at shredding his larynx.

In the live version of the album [on DVD] Bruce even has a run at "Rhinestone Cowboy" and does it credit.

I for one, would therefore be very interested to hear the new album, but how much I enjoy it will probably depend upon the way that the songs are arranged and vocally interpreted.

Karaoke won't do it for me.

Also, regarding "culture vulture", where would that leave Frank Sinatra? Many of his best recordings are remakes of already-known songs.

It ain't what you do....