[REMOVE ADS]

Misty Blue - final Supremes single

I think most of us know what it's like when songs are 'shopped around' and Dorothy Moore was a one-hit-wonder.

The Supremes could have had a big farewell hit with this song.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I think most of us know what it's like when songs are 'shopped around' and Dorothy Moore was a one-hit-wonder.

The Supremes could have had a big farewell hit with this song.
    Dorothy Moore was not a one hit wonder. “I Believe You” was both a pop and r & b hit in the USA and UK. She also scored top ten r&b hits with other songs.
    For me DM totally owns this song. Hard to imagine it a Supremes hit.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-28-2022 at 05:20 AM.

I think because the song is such a classic, it's difficult to hear anyone but Dorothy singing it. I don't think it was really the group's style either, but it might have been interesting to hear how it might have been reworked to fit them.

Believe it or not, I like that "Let Yourself Go" ended up being the last single. It was all about fun and having a good time, as opposed to love found or lost.

The first time I heard MISTY BLUE, it was done by Joe Simon. A few years later, Dorothy's version was being blasted throughout my neighborhood. I still love that record, as well as some of her other recordings like I BELIEVE YOU and SPECIAL OCCASION.

If the Supremes did MISTY BLUE, who would do the lead? It is a tempting idea to give it to Mary to see what her smoky alto would do with it. But Scherrie could probably jam with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The first time I heard MISTY BLUE, it was done by Joe Simon. A few years later, Dorothy's version was being blasted throughout my neighborhood. I still love that record, as well as some of her other recordings like I BELIEVE YOU and SPECIAL OCCASION.

If the Supremes did MISTY BLUE, who would do the lead? It is a tempting idea to give it to Mary to see what her smoky alto would do with it. But Scherrie could probably jam with it as well.
    I think any female singer attempting this song comes second to Dorothy.
    Of the Supremes, Lynda would probably be my first and only choice.

Yeah, first thought would be Mary singing it, and I think it would have been good. [[Did she ever do it live? Seems like it would've been right up her alley over the years.) But Scherrie might have given it that extra emotion that it needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, first thought would be Mary singing it, and I think it would have been good. [[Did she ever do it live? Seems like it would've been right up her alley over the years.) But Scherrie might have given it that extra emotion that it needed.
    I didn't start seeing Mary in person until 1987 so I can't comment on what she did before that. But I never saw Mary do that song at any concert I attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think any female singer attempting this song comes second to Dorothy.
    Of the Supremes, Lynda would probably be my first and only choice.
    I was thinking of the Supremes doing it in a world where Dorothy had not. I do recall seeing Monica and Mary J. Blige do a duet of it on the tv show MOTOWN LIVE back in the 90s but I don't recall what I thought of it.

I was thinking of the Supremes doing it in a world where Dorothy had not. I do recall seeing Monica and Mary J. Blige do a duet of it on the tv show MOTOWN LIVE back in the 90s but I don't recall what I thought of it.
    I guess i just can’t imagine a world without Dorothy’s “Misty Blue” lol. The only other version I've heard that comes anywhere close to the soulful, bluesy style of DM is by Australian singer Karen Lee Andrews.

Mary J. also did a pretty by-the-numbers solo version on her live The Tour​ LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I guess i just can’t imagine a world without Dorothy’s “Misty Blue” lol. The only other version I've heard that comes anywhere close to the soulful, bluesy style of DM is by Australian singer Karen Lee Andrews.
    At some point, I would like to hear what the earlier country versions sound like. I suspect Joe Simon's version might be close to those.

At some point, I would like to hear what the earlier country versions sound like. I suspect Joe Simon's version might be close to those.
    Most likely. Joe Simon’s is a singer i’m not really familiar with. His version of “Misty Blue” really is rather good, being very similar to Dorothy's or the other way round as it were.
    I would like to have heard Flo singing it.

Out of curiosity, how is it that it’s this song thats is being considered ? Is there a connection ?
    MISTY BLUE strikes me as too personally sung to be sung as a group concept.
    Maybe fine as an album cut rather than their final single.
    Just now realizing the irony of their last single being titled LET YOURSELF GO.