[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Former Ladies

Former Ladies

So, Motown wouldn't "allow" Lynda to sing leads? She was there only for the Jimmy Webb LP and I Guess I'll Miss The Man and Bad Weather singles. Plus, I was always curious about Jean Terrell being in the FLOs. She wanted the group to leave Motown and change the name to something else. She didn't like singing earlier Supremes songs but joined a group that mainly sang the old Supremes songs. She didn't like touring even when it was her time as a solo at A&M but was with the FLOs, who toured a lot in Europe. The FLOs honestly are not the Supremes, just former members who joined together to continue touring and making money. I liked them all tremendously and really always liked Scherrie a great deal. They were more tribute than anything, the current lineup is interesting as it would have been what the group would have been had they carried on after 1977. Still, that is an interesting read.

I always loved that photo of the FLOS. Thanks for the article Lake! A very interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    So, Motown wouldn't "allow" Lynda to sing leads? She was there only for the Jimmy Webb LP and I Guess I'll Miss The Man and Bad Weather singles. Plus, I was always curious about Jean Terrell being in the FLOs. She wanted the group to leave Motown and change the name to something else. She didn't like singing earlier Supremes songs but joined a group that mainly sang the old Supremes songs. She didn't like touring even when it was her time as a solo at A&M but was with the FLOs, who toured a lot in Europe. The FLOs honestly are not the Supremes, just former members who joined together to continue touring and making money. I liked them all tremendously and really always liked Scherrie a great deal. They were more tribute than anything, the current lineup is interesting as it would have been what the group would have been had they carried on after 1977. Still, that is an interesting read.
    Did Jean tell you she didn't like singing those Supremes songs, or that she didn't like touring? I ask [[rhetorically, of course) because sometimes we have to take a step back from what the rumor mill in the forum and across the net claim vs what might actually be the truth. Also you have to keep in mind that just because a person didn't like something 20 years ago, doesn't mean they can't change their minds. And let's be real, Jean traveling the world with Scherrie and Lynda in the 80s was probably a lot less stress free than traveling with Mary, Cindy and Lynda in the 70s with all the pressure that comes with being popular recording artists, and all the behind the scenes stresses that we know was the Supremes' situation during that time. Add to the scenario possible financial issues that might have caused these women to figure out how to best garner additional income.

I've mentioned this before, and I guess it bears repeating, but when people like the Supremes are bitten with the performing bug, it's hard to give that up. That's why Diana is still doing it and claims she has no plans to give it up. That's why Florence decided to get back in it, after everything she had been through. It's why Mary didn't decide to become a secretary when the Supremes ended, or why Cindy returned to the stage after years in the private sector. It's hard for some people to shake the desire to get in front of a crowd of people and do what they grew up believing they were put on this earth to do. I don't think the FLOS would be any different.

Each of these ladies were Supremes, which makes them singing together, the Supremes. But they never bill themselves that way and I respect them for that. Each lady played a part in the group legacy and they should be respected for it.

Of course, I have no idea other than what I have read and heard. The FLOs were not the Supremes because that ended on June 12, 1977. I do wonder about the remark that Motown would not "allow" Lynda to sing lead. By 1973, it seemed like Motown could care less about the Supremes as they were focused on Hollywood, Diana Ross and the Jackson 5. I respect all of the Supremes contributions to the group while they were in the group and what they all did afterwards. Jean, to me at least, seems like an enigma wrapped in a riddle. She definitely was a talented vocalist but she clearly would have to know what replacing the lead singer in the top female group would mean and how much scrutiny she would be under. I think a personality that would relish the spotlight and show how much of a talent and personality they were would have been what would be expected. It seems, in my apparent view, that Jean thought her talent and voice would be enough and in many ways it was and in many ways it wasn't. Up The Ladder was the first record I ever bought so clearly her voice was a draw for me[[ although by Jimmy Webb she seemed to be so nasal and shrill that I was starting to not be as into the group). As far as the billing, I do wish it was still Former Ladies of the Supremes. The moniker of Scherrie and Susaye of the Supremes with Joyce Vincent is a bit much.

I'm of the opinion that whenever two or more Supremes gather together, it's the Supremes.

Your comment about their moniker made me laugh. "Scherrie and Susaye of the Supremes with Joyce Vincent" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?

They did bill themselves as the Supremes in Europe, especially in England.

Interesting indeed especially about Lynda. If I remember correctly while touring Jean was ill and could not perfom but Lynda and Mary took the stage as The Suprmes minus one while Lynda did all the lead singing.

I don't know Jean so all I can do is speculate.

In 1973, she wanted out of the group that gave her her greatest professional success.

She popped up again throughout the 80's and 90's re-recording most of the Supremes catalog, and performing live 90% of the hits she never sang on.

It seems to me Jean was interested in performing and being a Supreme when it was convenient for her, or it worked in her favor.

Over the years, Mary got a lot of grief for singing "Diana's hits" but Jean seems to get a free pass.

What I'm most curious about is why Jean, with all of her talent, kept going into the studio for subpar karaoke versions of the hits. Were there no other opportunities? Couldn't she of at least recorded some other covers? To this day, there are former FLOS releasing Supremes and Diana singles.

Interesting. From what I've read [[over and over) Jean bitched about singing 'Diana's songs' when she was in the group. Then....spent the 80's and 90's doing just that...plus re-recording them to boot?? Mary brought up a good point.... were there no other opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Interesting indeed especially about Lynda. If I remember correctly while touring Jean was ill and could not perfom but Lynda and Mary took the stage as The Suprmes minus one while Lynda did all the lead singing.
    I remember when new Supreme Lynda took over lead for sick Jean Terrell in Hawaii and at the NY Copa, but Mary and Lynda were joined by pregnant Cindy.

I have read that on at least one occasion, Diana and Mary appeared on stage as a duo because Flo was sick or did simply did not show up

Jean was in the studio as part of a group of Supremes, not as a soloist, so she was recording what was being offered the group. Those Motorcity recordings were beneath the talent of nearly- if not all- of everyone Ian was recording. Without having spoken to Jean, I'm guessing she probably hated it, but maybe viewed it as promotion for the touring FLOS. I find it hard to believe that Jean was turning down opportunities worthy of her talent and instead recording the crap of Motorcity, which is so bad that I refuse to track down every Supremes recording during that period.

The people who went in on Mary for singing "Diana's" songs were the contingent of fans who believe Diana Ross is the Supremes. Most people understood Mary was singing the songs Mary's group made famous, and so I think it stands to reason that most fans wouldn't give Jean crap for singing songs made famous by the group she herself once fronted. What else was Jean going to do? Tour singing songs from I Had To Fall In Love?

All of the Supremes, from Diana to Susaye have attempted to use their time as Supremes for the benefit of their career after the group ended, with maybe the exception of Florence, and had she lived longer, she might have done it too. And with the obvious exception of Diana, who can blame them? None of their post Supremes solo careers resulted in successful singles and albums. It's also probably easier to get booked as "Supremes" than it is to be booked as individuals, and since they all probably have the need to perform [[or once had the need), using the Supremes was probably the most sensible way to do it.

Mary might be the only other one who was able to get work with or without her Supremes connection, and that was probably only after putting in a ton of work on stage and in the media to carve out her own individual recognition.

Fans and reporters have just written that Jean did not want to sing 60's Supremes songs near the end of her tenure in the actual group. Mary, of course, wanted to expand but always enjoyed singing the songs that helped make her famous in the Supremes. Mary did eventually do her Up Close and Lena Horne shows which showcased what she really wanted to do as a soloist but she loved her history. Jean may have changed her mind as is her right as she also was a Supreme. Any member should have the right to sing any part of the Supremes song history if they want to. Just wonder what changed Jean's mind at the time? She was the first to leave the FLOs, so perhaps she eventually was over touring and the group once again.

Could have been any number of things that caused Jean to bounce in and out. For me the obvious one is just the need to perform, to have that creative outlet when you were bitten by the performance bug. Maybe she'd get her fix, get fulfilled, and then take a break, until it was time to do it all over again.

Jean was a mother. In the 90s she still had a kid [[or kids, I don't think I know how many children Jean has) at home, so she may have been trying to balance singing and motherhood, with motherhood being the priority.

I don't know what Jean's financial situation is. We all know she complained about the money at Motown, but we've never heard about her being down on her luck like Florence, or Cindy, or even Mary. But maybe she sometimes needed the money and the FLOS was the quickest way to get it. Can't fault her on that.

I want to make it clear that this next one is purely possible scenario speculation and not something I'm saying is fact. But perhaps mental health was an issue. Back then when people said mental health people might think Schizophrenia or something, rather than depression or anxiety, both of which affects millions of people, including entertainers. Again I'm not suggesting outright that Jean had mental health issues, but I imagine it's possible, as it is for any of us.

Also Jean was from a big family. She may have had financial obligations by caring for an ill sibling or other relative. Perhaps Jean's parents were elderly and needed care. So there might be a ton of different reasons why she might jump in and out of the entertainment industry, or felt the need to compromise her skill as a vocalist to make a quick buck singing karaoke versions of former group's hits.

Does anyone know if Jean is 'formally' retired? I haven't heard much about her
    in recent years.

Maybe she is just difficult and no one wanted to work with her.

Jean has two sons, Jason and Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that whenever two or more Supremes gather together, it's the Supremes.

Your comment about their moniker made me laugh. "Scherrie and Susaye of the Supremes with Joyce Vincent" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?

LOL The poor soul who had to pin all of those letters on a marquee.