[REMOVE ADS]

Billboard's Hot 100/ Top 40 Motown Chronicles - 1972 - [Pt. 3]

Due to the volume of content, the year 1972 is being divided into three threads.
    This is Part III:
    Sept. - Dec.

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #36

Sept 02, 1972

previously on Motown and Billboard's
    Hot 100/ Top 40:

Number of singles reviewed this week: 87
    last week: 102

including:
    THE BAND - DON'T DO IT [3:30)
    The Holland-Dozier rocker, a past hit for Marvin Gaye, is given
    a dynamite dance treatment, a cut from the Band's new LP "Rock
    of Ages "

One of Motown's weakest of weeks. A total of three songs from the label are on the Hot 100, with just one of them on the Top 40, The Jackson Five's LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS, and it's stalling at #16. No debuts from the label.

The Top 10:

No Motown.

Rarely does a song return to the top of the chart once it drops from it. This week , ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY] by Gilbert O'Sullivan does so, bumping out BRANDY [YOU'RE A FINE GIRL] by Looking Glass after one week at #1. BRANDY is now #4 and The Hollies' LONG COOL WOMAN is lined up at #2 hoping for its turn at #1.
    Two new songs arrive into the Top 10 both by new artists to the Top 40: Glamor act Gary Glitter's instrumental B side of his ROCK AND ROLL enters at #9 from #17 and long time
    vocal group [since 1958] The O'Jays finally arrive with BACK STABBERS at #10 from #14.
    Off are IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG by Luther Ingram to #13 from #6 and COCONUT by Nillson from #8 to #17.

The Top 40:

LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five - likely peaking this week with a repeat at the #16 position.

Biggest mover within the chart: Seventeen places
    HONKY CAT - Elton John to #23 from #40

Light week, four songs entering, all with big gains, two newbies, 3 US, 1 UK

titles coded with a brown + will go Top 10
    Highest Debut:
    + EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL + - Main Ingredient - #32 up 10 from #42 [*first time artist]

PLAY ME
    - Neil Diamond #33 up 11 from #44

[19th Top 40 Hit]
    SPEAK TO THE SKY - Rick Springfield #35 up 14 from #49 [*first time artist] his only one of the seventies
    + NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN + - Moody Blues #39 up 8 from #47[sixth Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

11 singles
    titles coded with green will go Top 40
    NEW: . Starting this week , artists never before on the Hot 100, will be noted with pink # symbol.
    Eight newbies.
    Highest debut:
    3rd tier:
    #78 - FOR EMILY WHEREVER I MAY FIND HER - Simon and Garfunkel

- DON'T EVER BE LONELY [A POOR LITTLE FOOL LIKE ME] - Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose
    #86 - THUNDER AND LIGHTNING - Chi Coltrane
    #87 - GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES - Danny O'Keefe
    #88 - LOVING YOU JUST CROSSED MY MIND - Sam Neely
    #89 - LISTEN TO THE MUSIC - Doobie Brothers
    #90 - THINK [ABOUT IT] - Lyn Collins
    #92 - LIFE AND BREATH - Climax
    #98 - LADY ELEANOR - Lindisfarne
    #99 - FOOL'S PARADISE - Sylvers
    #100 - WHATEVER TURNS YOU ON - Travis Wammack

Motown:
    no debuts
    5th week: ^BEN - Michael Jackson - #43 up 8 from #51
    5th week: - ^YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE - Supremes #66 up 3 from #69
    11th week: WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles off from #57
    Off:
    Despite coming too far, Smokey ends the Miracle's 17 year union this week with a farewell/ departure themed tune [although lyrically about a couple] with sentiments that seem to contradict the impending reality. Johnny Bristol is behind
    WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW as he was with The Supremes departure tune SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER. Falling short of the Top 40, peaking at #46, Motown will give the original line-up one more try at charting, the next single coming up shortly, also off the same last Smokey Robinson & The Miracles LP, for some reason titled, FLYING HIGH TOGETHER.

A very good week for:
    Sweetness
    four songs have sweet titles:
    Barbara Streisand's SWEET INSPIRATION is at #38 [and is the Hot 100's only split hit WHERE YOU LEAD being the other side]
    Millie Jackson's MY MAN IS A SWEET MAN is at #55
    The Supremes' YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE at #66
    and Bobby Womack charting with a remake of Neil Diamond's 1969 hit [#4 peak] SWEET CAROLINE at #73 in its second week:

SWEET CAROLINE
    will peak at #51 [#16 Soul], but DJs start playing the B side which will reintroduce the record and put Womack back into the Top 40.

UK's fondness for Motown continues: four songs are on the UK Top 50.

#28 - AIN'T NO SUNSHINE - Michael Jackson
    #30 - AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes
    #34 - MY GUY - Mary Wells
    #36 - WALK WITH ME TALK WITH ME DARLING - Four Tops

#1 on the Jazz LP chart :

UPENDO NI PAMOJOS [LOVE IS TOGETHER]
    by the Ramsey Lewis Trio their first LP on Columbia after ten years at Chess. The album features one cover of a Motown song, Michael Jackson's GOT TO BE THERE.

RIP Ramsey Emmanuel Lewis Jr.
    [May 27, 1935 – September 12, 2022]

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-25-2022 at 01:03 AM.

Chart #37

Sept 09, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 80
    last week: 87
    including:
    JERMAINE
    JACKSON - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES[3:23)
    [prod: Johnny Bristol) [writers: Jones-Brown-Bristol)
    The 17 year old member of the Jackson 5 with a potent rhythm cut
    from his smash "Jermaine" LP.

FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS - WALK ON DON'T LOOK BACK [2:55)
    [prod: the Corporation) [writer: the Corporation) Back in
    his winning rock ballad style, Valli leads the Seasons into what should
    prove a heavy chart item for top 40. MOWEST

Michael Jackson and his brothers rub shoulders on the Top 40 this week, the movie tune BEN enters at #26 as the week's highest debut , and at #27 LOOKIN THROUGH THE WINDOWS drops just below it. The Supremes in their sixth week are still climbing, a bit, and The Four Tops enter The Hot 100 with NATURE PLANNED IT, despite a recent hint in Billboard that they had left the label. No drop offs , one new one added, equals four charters total for Motown.

The Top Ten:

ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY]
    , beat the odds by returning to the Top last week , this week it tops that feat further by remaining there. Six weeks total at #1 for Gilbert O'Sullivan. That's wild, but equally as wild O'Sullvan has a latest album, his second, and ALONE GAIN is not on it. It will remain as a single only for decades. Held at #2, The Hollies LONG COOL WOMAN IN A BLACK DRESS and held again at #3, Al Green's I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU. Two new records are quick to the Top Ten: In five weeks, BLACK AND WHITE by Three Dog Night moves up five from #13 to #8 and six week on the Hot 100 for Chicago and their SATURDAY IN THE PARK to #10 from #15. Two that fall out: Argent's HOLD YOUR HEAD UP and its goodbye to GOODBYE TO LOVE by The Carpenters.

The Top 40:

BEN - Michael Jackson #26 DEBUT
    LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five big dip from #16 to #27 will likely drop off next week.

Biggest mover within the chart, twelve places:
    PLAY ME -Neil Diamond to #21 from #33

Six new entries, all American [one recorded in UK] and box office heavy hitters each :

Highest debut:
    BEN - Michael Jackson #26 up 17 from #43 [4th Top 40 Hit]

+ MY DING-A-LING + - Chuck Berry - #31 up 11 from #42 [12th Top 40 hit] first in 8 years
    + USE ME + - Bill Withers #33 up 20 from #53[3rd Top 40 hit]
    THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS -Arlo Guthrie #36 up 5 from#41 [One Hit Wonder]
    GOOD FOOT [Part I] [sic]- James Brown #37 up 9 from #46 [39th Top 40 Hit]
    + BURNING LOVE + - Elvis Presley #40 up 18 from #58 [95th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

Last week a slew of newly charting artists, 13 entries this week, mostly from return acts
    Highest Debut:
    Third Tier:
    #
    71 - IF I COULD REACH YOU - Fifth Dimension

#
    73 - ROCK ME BABY - David Cassidy
    #
    78 - WITCHY WOMAN - Eagles
    #80 - SLAUGHTER - Billy Preston
    #83 -
    NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops
    #
    84 - I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW - Johnny Nash
    #
    88 - SUMMER BREEZE - Seals & Croft
    #89 - MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Five Man Electric Band
    #92 - CARRY ME ,CARRIE - Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
    #93 - COLORADO - Danny Holien
    #94 - DON'T HIDE YOUR LOVE - Cher
    #99 - THEY LONG TO BE CLOSE TO YOU - Jerry Butler Brenda Lee Yeager
    #100 - EVIL WAYS - Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles
    green = Top 40 bound

Motown:
    One debut:
    1st week: - NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #83 DEBUT
    6th week: - ^YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE - Supremes #59 up 7 from #66
    no offs

A very good week for:
    being played.
    One after the other on the Top 40:
    At #21 PLAY ME - Neil Diamond
    At #22 EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL - Main Ingredient

Richard Carpenter wrote [with John Bettis] the Carpenters 8th Top 40 hit, that has peaked at #7, after watching a 1940 Bing Crosby movie that kept mentioning a song with the title GOODBYE TO LOVE, but such a song was never presented, so Richard wrote it. He also got a novel idea: feature a fuzz guitar solo. He instructed Tony Peluso to "play the melody for five bars then burn it up."

At 2:20, Karen's singing of the lyrics stop and then at 2:45 the electric guitar arrives and finishes out the four minute song. Some fans are outraged by the conflicted intrusion. From the Carpenters the power ballad has arrived .

Last week GOODBYE TO LOVE peaked at #7. This week it's Gary Glitter's turn to do the same as the pioneering glam rocker ROCK AND ROLL PART II moves up from #9 to #7 to peak there. Very rare for a two-part song to chart primarily because of the second half [The Four Tops MACARTHUR PARK another example] and in this case especially strange as it eliminates the credited artist , becoming an instrumental.
    Both sides are played in the UK where it has peaked at #2, the first of 11 hits in a row for Glitter on Britain's Top 10, most reaching #1 or #2. PART II has become an ongoing sports arena anthem, while PART I is never heard:

With another instrumental 45 in 1975, The Glitter Band will have a #4 disco hit with MAKES YOU BLIND.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-29-2022 at 12:51 PM.

Chart #38

Sept 16, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week:95
    last week: 80
    including:

EDWIN STARR - WHO IS THE LEADER OF THE PEOPLE [2:29]
    [prod: Nick Zesses & Dino Fekaris] [writers: Zesses-Fekaris]

Only one other artist is hotter than Michael Jackson on the Top 40 this week, Elvis Presley. Michael Jackson's BEN, the theme to the movie, moves up 13 places while Elvis' BURNING LOVE flames up 18 places. Meanwhile Michael and the rest of the family ride another week on the Top 40 with LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS now down to #32. The Supremes stall at #56 while The Four Tops surge with NATURE PLANNED IT at #64 in its second week, a rise of 19 points. Two new Motown singles enter the Hot 100, one by a big name, and one by a new artist [sort of]. No drop offs, six Motown titles total on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

BLACK AND WHITE by Three Dog Night bolts past the competition this week from #9 to become the latest #1 single, as ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY] by Gilbert O'Sullivan ends its tenure there after a six week run dipping to #3 as Mac Davis' BABY DON"T GET HOOKED ON ME is now the #2 hit up from #4.
    YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM plunges to #21 from #8, replaced in the Top 10 by Elton John's HONKY CAT in at #9 from #13. It's John's third time now on the Top 10.

The Top 40:

BEN - Michael Jackson #13 , a 13 place bolt from #26.
    LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five dips a bit to #32 from #27, will likely drop off next week.

Biggest mover within the chart, eighteen places:
    BURNING LOVE by Elvis Presley #22 from #40.

Five new songs: 3 American, 2 UK , one a future +Top Ten+

Highest Debut:
    +GARDEN PARTY+ - Rick Nelson #33 up 9 from #42 [35th and final Top 40 hit]

STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN
    - Mel & Tim #37 up 7 from #44 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]
    WHY/LONELY BOY - Donny Osmond #38 up 5 from #43 [6th & 7th Top 40 hit] this week the record becomes a split hit.
    YOU WEAR IT WELL - Rod Stewart - #39 up 6 from #45 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    EASY LIVIN' - Uriah Heap -#40 up 1 from #41 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Twelve entries, eleven new, four Top 40 bound, one proxy
    Highest Debut:
    Third tier
    #70 - MIDNIGHT HOUR - Joe Cocker

#81 - WOMAN DON'T GO ASTRAY - King Floyd
    #83 - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson
    #86 - [BABY] DON'T [YOU] DO IT - The Band -HDH written hit for Marvin Gaye #27 1964
    #87 - I AM WOMAN - Helen Reddy
    #90 - SPACE MAN - Nillson
    #92 - BUZZY BROWN - Tim Davis
    #93 - BEST THING - Styx
    #97 - I'LL MAKE MUSIC - Beverly Bremmers
    #98 - KEEP ON RUNNING -Stevie Wonder
    #99 - WE CAN MAKE IT - Steve and Eddie
    #100 - WITH PEN IN HAND - Bobby Goldsboro
    # = first time artist

Motown:
    Two debuts:

1st week: - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #83 DEBUT
    1st week: - KEEP ON RUNNING - Stevie Wonder #98 DEBUT
    2nd week: -^ NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #64 up 19 from #83
    7th week: - YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE - Supremes #59 repeat position
    no offs

A very good week for:
    Woman
    song titles.
    LONG COOL WOMAN by the Hollies just missed as a #1 single [2 weeks at #2] and a "new" entry aims for the top as well, I AM WOMAN by Helen Reddy re-enters at #87. Also new this week by King Floyd WOMAN DON'T GO ASTRAY and The Eagles continue their chart ascent with WITCHY WOMAN at #62.

The Four Month Club has a total of three members with each achieving that distinction this week: BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY by Daniel Boone is still rising to #15 in its 16th week. IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG .... by Luther Ingram, still on the Top 40 in its 16th week at #32, and dropping off the Top 40 from #35 to #45 are The Detroit Emeralds and their self-penned, ultra smooth, BABY LET ME TAKE YOU [IN MY ARMS].

Peaking at just #24
    [#4 R&B] despite its four month run, this will be The Detroit Emeralds most successful record.

Full page ad this week:

With understandably
    Great Pride
    ABC/Dunhill Records
    Proudly Welcomes
    To Our Family
    The Four Tops

Chart Noteworthy : Former Motown act The Spinners have been on the lower rungs of the Hot 100 the past four weeks with HOW COULD I LET YOU GET AWAY. DJs have started playing the records B-side and now this week it becomes a split single with I'LL BE AROUND. It moves up 3 in this its fifth week to #74 from #77.

Also Noteworthy: Speaking of The Spinners, The music industry may not be noticing but a music machine out of Philadelphia has been unleashed and their presence will soon practically dominate. Much more on that to come as it unfolds.

Also from that Philadelphia camp is a most significant yet overlooked record that after peaking at just #64, slips one to #65 before fully departing next week after an eight week run.

It's a cover by The Trammps of the 1934 song, ZING WENT THE STRINGS OF MY HEART , a trademark tune for Judy Garland. The Trammps have taken it and turned it on its head resulting in something entirely new.

Its' reinvented sound seems almost too remarkable as a reboot on its own, and in truth The Trammps have developed their version based on an earlier version by The Coasters in which Billy Guy sings very much like Earl Young of The Trammps [inventor of the disco high hat sound]. The Coasters version was the b-side to their 1958 hit YAKETY YAK.

So unknown are The Trammps, that Billboard was first listing them as The Tramps . Like their name's spelling, they have a distinct sound ....a sound without a name .....yet.

Here's the timeless Judy Garland version:

The Coasters and Trammps versions will appear in next week's chart review.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-16-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Chart #39

Sept 23, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 90
    last week: 95

Motown has a
    single that enters the Top 10 making it the label's biggest record on the Top 40 in weeks. BEN by Michael Jackson is also the label's only record on the Top 40. Last week NATURE PLANNED IT by The Four Tops seemed the label's next best hopeful as it moved up 19 spots on the chart. This week, the third for the single, it slows way down and loses its bullet. Jermaine's debut single now seems to offer Hitsville the most glimmer of high charting hope as it moves up 10 spots. One less charter this time, for a total of five Motowners on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

After a meteoric bolt to #1 from #9 last week , Three Dog Night's BLACK AND WHITE takes a surprising step down to #2 after holding the top spot for just one week. Mac Davis's BABY DON"T GET HOOKED ON ME, now #1 from #2, and already #1 for two weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart, resulted when the singer/songwriter was challenged by his label to write a song with a "hook". A bit of a shake-up as three new songs enter the Top 10, the highest by Michael Jackson and BEN, in at #6 from #13. Coming in just below that at #7 are The Main Ingredient with their first Top 40 and now Top 10 hit with EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL, with a nine point jump from #16. Also reaching the Top 10 for the first time at #9 from #12 are The Raspberries with GO ALL THE WAY.
    Three take big bows out: At #21, LONG COOL WOMAN by The Hollies plummeting from #6, from #23 to #8 falls BRANDY YOU'RE A FINE GIRL from Looking Glass, and plunging to #31 from #10 is I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU by Al Green.

The Top 40:

Only Michael Jackson [#6] is on the Top 40 this week.

Biggest mover within the chart,
    12 places {tie:}
    USE ME - Bill Withers #13 from #25
    YOU WEAR IT WELL - Rod Stewart #27 from #39

Five singles achieve Top 40 status, all American , two future +Top Ten+.

Highest debut:
    TIGHT ROPE - Leon Russell- #34 up 7 from#41 [*First Time Artist]

+FREDDIE'S DEAD+ - Curtis Mayfield #36 up 8 from #44 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    LISTEN TO THE MUSIC - Doobie Bros. #37 up 15 from #52 [*First Time Artist]
    DON'T EVER BE LONELY [A POOR LITTLE FOOL LIKE ME]
    - Cornelius Bros.& Sister Rose #38 up 11 from #49 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    +GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES+ - Danny O'Keefe #40 up 11 from #51 [One Hit Wonder]

Hot 100:

10 new 45s, 3
    Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on Hot 100.

Highest debut:
    third tier

#80 LET IT RAIN - Eric Clapton

#82 - ALL THE YOUNG DUDES - Mott The Hoople
    #83 - I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME -Lobo
    #85 - ROCK N ROLL SOUL - Grand Funk Railroad
    #87 - CANT YOU HEAR THE SONG - Wayne Newton
    #88 - ONE MORE CHANCE - Ocean
    #90 - AMERICAN CITY SUITE - Cashman & West
    #97 - MEAN LITTLE WOMAN ROSALIE -Tommie Roe
    #99 - DANCE DANCE DANCE - New Seekers
    #100 - POOR BOY - Casey Kelly

Motown:
    No debuts:

2nd week: - ^ THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #73 up 10 from #83
    2nd week: - ^ KEEP ON RUNNING - Stevie Wonder #94 up 4 from #98
    3rd week: - ^ NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #58 up 6 from #64
    8th week: - YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE - Supremes #60 down 1 from #59

off:
    LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five
    An eleven week run took this Clifton Davis written tune to #16. The album by the same title has done better reaching #7 on Billboard's Top 200 LP chart. It's the last hit including brother Jermaine.

A very good week for:
    O's .
    with two in the top 5: Gilbert O' Sullivan's ALONE AGAIN at #5 and BACK STABBERS by The O'Jays at #4 . And Danny O'Keefe's GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES enters the Top 40 at #40.

The Trammps have restructured Judy Garland's famed tune, ZING! WENT THE STRINGS OF MY HEART [see chart #38].
    Their version plays heavily off the 1958 version by The Coasters with Trammps' drummer Earl Young emulating the vocals of Coasters' baritone Billy Guy.

Then the TSOP gang did something very clever, to The Coaster's version of ZING! WENT THE STRINGS.... , they added... strings. In a prominent way, swirling throughout. Add that and a scratching guitar, bongos, and a constant beat emphasized by the high hat, and The Trammps are on their way to perfecting something new in the music scene.

Their version will now disappear and not become included on an LP until 1975 when Tom Moulton will get a hold of it along with other Trammps singles, and cleverly title the LP :
    THE LEGENDARY ZING ALBUM.

A brief article in Billboard about The Four Tops:

[Who knew all these years they've wanted to write their own songs]

Los Angeles- The Four Tops, whose signing with ABC/Dunhill was officially announced only this week, have actually been in the studio with staff producers Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter for nearly two months. The ex-Motown stalwarts are recording a concept album dealing with urban ghetto tensions and, for the first tine in their careers, have written the bulk of the songs themselves. The Four Tops, who began making hits for Motown in 1965, are the first act to leave the label with all its original personnel.

Fact check: Their premier LP for ABC, KEEPER OF THE CASTLE beyond the title cut, is absent the "urban ghetto tension" theme, and there is only one cut that is mostly written by The Four Tops: TURN ON THE LIGHT OF YOUR LOVE.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-21-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Chart #40

Sept 30, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week:79
    last week:

including:
    ISAAC
    HAYES - THEME FROM "THE MEN" [4:00]
    [prod: Isaac Hayes & Ozzie Horne] [writer: Hayes)
    Theme
    of the new dramatic TV series is a potent dance
    instrumental with traces of the "Shaft" magic.

Michael Jackson puts Motown back amongst the nation's highest ranking singles as BEN becomes a Top 5 song this week. For the second week, its also Motown's only Top 40 record, with nothing immediately charting at a rate to sometime soon join it. Brother Jermaine remains outside the Top 60, but is bulleted and strongly advancing, nine points in his 2nd week. Fizzling: The Four Tops and Stevie Wonder. Gone: The Supremes. Nothing new from the label enters the Hot 100 so Motown has four singles charting there.

The Top 10:

Log jam. Mac Davis remains at the top with BABY DON'T GET HOOKED ON ME and Three Dog Night hold fast at #2 with BLACK AND WHITE. Again at #3 is SATURDAY IN THE PARK by Chicago and BACKSTABBERS by The O'Jays again at #4 . The rest of the Top Tenners are forcing their way up and each with bullets, Michael Jackson now at #5 with BEN one up from #6.
    The bottom 3 , #8, #9, and #10 are new to the Top Ten. Bill Wither's USE ME from #13 to #8, Elvis is hot with BURNING LOVE jumping 9 places from #18 to #9, Hot Butter also applying heat becoming #10 from #14 with POPCORN.
    Three big tumblers: From #8 to #17, HONKY CAT by Elton John , from #5 to #18 Gilbert's ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY], and a 20 point dip for Gary Glitter's ROCK AND ROLL from #10 to #30.

The Top 40:

Only Michael Jackson [#5] is on the Top 40 this week.

Biggest mover within the chart, 13 points:
    GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES - Danny O'Keefe #27 from #40

Just four singles break the Top 40: all American, two +top ten+ bound

Highest Debut:
    THUNDER AND LIGHTNING - Chi Coltrane #34 up 10 from #44 [*one hit wonder]

+WITCHY WOMAN+ - Eagles #35 up 8 from #43 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    +IF I COULD REACH YOU+ - Fifth Dimension #37 up 10 from #47 [19th Top 40 hit]
    IF YOU LEAVE ME TONIGHT I'LL CRY - Jerry Wallace #38 up 3 from #41 [7th and final Top 40 hit, first since 1964]

The Hot 100:

11 new 45's hit the Hot 100, 2 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, no Motown debuts, one by proxy,

new!: gold titles indicate a Philly International related release

Highest debut:
    Third tier:
    #81 - A LONELY MAN/MAN AND THE WOMAN - Chi-Lites

#83 - GUILTY - Al Green
    #86 - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW - Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes
    #87 - MOSQUITO - Doors
    #93 - IF YOU CAN BEAT ME ROCKIN' [YOU CAN HAVE MY CHAIR] - Laura Lee HDH label: Hot Wax
    #94 - DINAH FLO - Boz Scaggs
    #95 - FUNNY FACE - Donna Fargo
    #97 - TAKE ME BAK 'OME - Slade
    #98 - WHY CAN'T WE BE LOVERS - Lamont Dozier
    #99 - SING A SONG/ MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC - Barbra Streisand
    #100 - SO LONG DIXIE - Blood Sweat & Tears

Motown:
    No debuts:

3rd week: - ^ THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #64 up 9 from #73
    3rd week: - ^ KEEP ON RUNNING
    - Stevie Wonder #90 up 4 from #94
    4th week: - ^ NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #55 up 3 from #58
    9th week: - YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE - Supremes off from #60

off: The Supremes took the song Smokey Robinson wrote for Kim Weston in 1966, and repackaged for them to #56
    . YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE the third and final single release from their FLOY JOY album and the last release for the group from Hitsville in Detroit, now its off to California

This week the Top 40 says goodbye to perhaps its currently most sophisticated entry,
    YOU'RE STILL A YOUNG MAN, after peaking last week at #28
    [now #50] by the large ensemble group out of Oakland California, originally known as Motown, before becoming Tower Of Power.

The group would be off to a good start with this debut hit with lead singer Rick Stevens, nephew of Motown's Ivy Jo Hunter, except that, in Rick's words,
    It was chaos, egos, drugs, women. I lost all feeling. I was drained” and before their next hit, a new lead singer will replace him. In 1976, Stevens will go to prison for 35 years until pardoned by Jerry Brown for Steven's involvement in a triple murder [he pulled the trigger.]

A very good week for:
    "B" sides
    or rather for sides that have titles that begin with the letter "B":
    4 of the Top 5 do: BABY DON'T GET HOOKED ON ME, BLACK & WHITE, BACKSTABBERS , BEN. Also joining them in the Top 10: BURNING LOVE.

Of interest in Billboard this week:

Dionne Moves Her Label to Memphis

MEMPHIS-
    Singer Dionne Warwicke's record company, Sonday, is being moved here, with
    Mempro, Inc., to be headquarters for the Warwicke label. Marty Lacker and Don Burt,
    owners of Mempro, said their company will handle all administrative, distribution, sales and promotion for Sonday. The firm, named for Miss Warwicke's son, has under contract
    Leslie Uggams, The Constellations, Calvin Arnold, and Liz Land. It has been New York-based since its organization about 18 months
    ago

Leslie Uggams fronting a sometimes Motown sounding production on Dionne's SONDAY label:

Leslie, who has been recording since 1959 and had her own TV variety show in 1969, will record one LP for Warwick's label before shifting to Motown where she will also record one album.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-26-2022 at 03:44 PM.

Chart #41

October 7, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 84
    last week:

including:

TEMPTATIONS - PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    [6:58]
    [prod:Norman Whitfield] [writers: Whitfield-Strong] Finally released from their hit "All Directions" LP. Strong entry pop and soul. GORDY 7121 [Motown)
    RADIO ACTION: WBRM-FM [Chicago]
    -----
    SUPREMES - I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN [2:40)
    [Sherlie Matthews & DekeRichards] [writer: Schwartz) Heavy change of pace for the trio is this ballad beauty from the Broadway show"Pippin," penned by
    "Godspell" 's Stephen Schwartz. Potent top 40, MOR and soul.. MOTOWN 1213
    ------
    SYREETA - I LOVE EVERY LITTLE THING ABOUT YOU [3:39)
    [prod: Stevie Wonder) [writer: Wonder), MoWEST 5016

Big surge for Michael Jackson's theme from the movie BEN, from #5 to #2 positioning Motown to possibly have their first #1 single this year.
    Have to look outside the Top 40 for other Motown charters where brother Jermaine stays strong at #56 with a bullet. The Four Tops cling to a Hot 100 position moving up one this week while Stevie Wonder can't do the same, lasting just four weeks. One new debut: Eddie Kendricks IF YOU LET ME his second single from his second solo LP. One off and one on, Motown has four songs on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Mac Davis holds the #1 position for the third week, and this week the MOR chart catches up by ranking BABY DON'T GET HOOKED ON ME at the top. Michael Jackson's BEN is hard pressing at #2 up three from five with a bullet. All Top 10 titles advance with BLACK AND WHITE by Three Dog Night dropping from #2 to #8 to give them room as does SATURDAY IN THE PARK by Chicago, leaving the Top 10 to #13 from #3. That opens up one space, #9, and Chuck Berry snags it with MY DING-A-LING from #13.

The Top 40:

Only Michael Jackson [#2] is on the Top 40 this week.

Biggest mover within the chart, 10 rungs:
    TIGHT ROPE Leon Russell #26 from #36

Six new 45's on The Top 40, 5 USA one UK, 2 +Top Ten+ bound, two by proxy.
    Highest debut:
    +I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW+ - Johnny Nash #33 up 10 from #43 [5th Top 40 hit]

I BELIEVE IN MUSIC
    - Gallery
    - #35 up 6 from #41 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    MIDNIGHT RIDER -Joe Cocker & the Christ Stainton Band #36 up 8 from #44 [Joe's 6th Top 40 hit}
    GERONIMO'S CADILLAC - Michael Murphy #37 up 9 from #46 [*first time artist]
    LOVING JUST CROSSED MY MIND - Sam Neely -#39 up 8 from #47 [*first time artist]
    +I'LL BE AROUND+ - Spinners #40 up 11 from#51 [4th Top 40 hit]

Hot 100:

9 entries, 3
    Top 40 bound, one Motown , one by proxy.

Highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #67 - ELECTED - Alice Cooper

3rd tier:
    #80 - ROCKIN' PNEUMONIA & THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU - Johnnie Rivers
    #82 - IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks
    #83 - THE WEDDING SONG [THERE IS LOVE] - Petula Clark
    #84 - SUNNY DAYS - Lighthouse
    #93 - DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE - Temptress
    #98 - A MAN SIZED JOB - Denise LaSalle
    #99 - I JUST WANT TO MAKE LOVE TO YOU - Foghat
    #100 - HAPPIER THAN THE MORNING SUN - BJ Thomas written by Stevie Wonder plus credited appearance.

Motown:
    one debut:

1st week: - IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks # 88 DEBUT
    4th week: - ^ THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #56 up 8 from #64
    4th week: - KEEP ON RUNNING
    - Stevie Wonder off from #90
    5th week: - ^ NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #54 up 1 from #55

off:
    Billy Preston's huge success with OUTA-SPACE likely caught fellow keyboardist Stevie Wonder's attention. Both are now making the clavinet's sound known to funk and pop music. Stevie's first dabble with the instrument is this upbeat electronic groove KEEP ON RUNNING. The tune opens with Stevie's warning about being careful because "someone's going to come out of the bushes and grab you" with the bulk of the song repeatedly advising them to therefore keep on running. #90 is as far as the menacing lyrics would advance despite the funky groove. Wonder will do much better by year's end with his next clavinet venture.

While KEEP ON RUNNING peaks at #90, another song also taken from Stevie's current MUSIC OF MY MIND LP, HAPPIER THAN THE MORNING SUN, as performed by BJ Thomas, enters this week at #100 and will stop there:

Heard on harmonica: Stevie Wonder.

A very good week for:
    Mac Davis
    not only is he #1 for the third week his first time on the Top 40, but the self-penned title song to his 1971 LP, I BELIEVE IN MUSIC enters the Top 40 by Detroit group Gallery.

As of late, the UK and US charts seem miles apart with very little overlap, looking at the top 20 of both, only the titles of Donny Osmond's TOO YOUNG and Rod Stewart's YOU WEAR IT WELL are on each chart. They are out of sync when it comes to Motown too.
    There are two Motown songs on the UK's Top 50, Jr Walker's WALK IN THE NIGHT at #20 and Michael Jackson at #8, not with BEN as in the States, but with a cover of Bill Wither's AIN'T NO SUNSHINE from an earlier album.

from Julian Coleman's Soul Sauce

New product by Gladys Knight and the Pips, The Supremes, Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye coming from Motown any day now.....

.....Replacing Smokey with the Miracles is William Griffin, who was introduced to the company
    by Damon Harris, the newest member of the Temptations. Griffin
    and Harris both hail from Baltimore, Md.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-03-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #42

October 14, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week:75
    last week:84
    including:
    JACKSON 5 - CORNER OF THE SKY [3:35)
    [prod: Sherlie Matthews & Deke Richards) [writer: Schwartz) From the new Broadway musical "Pippin" comes
    another chart topper for the Jackson 5. MOTOWN 1214

If you're going to have just one record on the Top 40, let it be its' #1. As is the case for Michael Jackson's ballad BEN on behalf of the otherwise sparsely represented Motown label. The rest of the label's charters have slowed to a crawl, none with bullets, the exception being a bulleted debut by The Temptations, PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE at #81. Adding it to the mix, Motown has five singles on the Hot 100.

The Top Ten:

At #1 is Michael Jackson and BEN, a Motown production by The Corporation composed around the outside lyrics of Don Black known for his work in film and musicals, with such titles as BORN FREE and TO SIR WITH LOVE. Just below, Bill Withers with USE ME is putting the lean on BEN, bolting four notches from #6 to #2. Elvis' BURNING LOVE is also closing in at #4 from #7. To make room, Mac Davis' BABY DON"T GET HOOKED ON ME drops to #6 from its three week perch at #1. Three Dog Night's BLACK AND WHITE also plunges to #21 from #8 allowing the Moody Blues NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN on at #8 from #12, the only record to do so this tight week.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Only Michael Jackson [#1] is on the Top 40 this week.

Biggest mover within the chart, 8 places

I'LL BE AROUND - Spinners #32 from #40.

Five 7"ers make it to the top cut, 4 American, 1 mostly Canadian, two +Top 10 bound+ , one proxy

highest debut:
    +I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME+ - Lobo #35 up 9 from #44 [2nd Top 40 hit]

+I AM WOMAN+
    - Helen Reddy #36 up 10 from #46 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    ROCK ME BABY -David Cassidy #38 up 3 from #41 [4th Top 40 hit]
    SPACE MAN - Nilsson #39 up 4 from #43 [7th Top 40 hit]
    DON'T DO IT - The Band #40 up 10 from #50 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Light week, 8 debuts, 4 Top 40 bound, 1 Philly International related release, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Motown:
    Highest Debut:
    2nd tier:
    #78 - OPERATOR [THAT'S NOT THE WAY IT FEELS] -Jim Croce

#83 - PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations
    #89 - BABY SITTER - Betty Wright
    #91 - NO - Bulldog
    #92 - I'M STONE IN LOVE WITH YOU - Stylistics
    #96 - DETERIORATA - National Lampoon
    #97 - RUNNIN' BACK TO SASKATOON - Guess Who
    #98 - SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH ME - Austin Roberts

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: - PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations # 83 - DEBUT

2nd week: - ^ IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #77 up 5 from # 82
    5th week: - ^ THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #53 up 3 from #56
    6th week: - NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #54 again

Off: none

A very good week for:
    only the lonely
    Four songs' titles address it:
    #16 - LONELY BOY - Donny Osmond
    #24 -DON'T EVER BE LONELY - Cornelius Bros & Sister Rose
    #43 - ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY] - Gilbert O'Sullivan
    #58 - A LONELY MAN - Chi-Lites

With the increasing releases of Gamble & Huff productions naturally comes mixed charting results:
    On the successful side: in this week's Top 10 is BACK STABBERS by the O'Jays which peaked at #3 last week and #1 Soul, while POWER OF LOVE by Joe Simon is at #61 now after peaking at #11 and also #1 Soul.

Written by G&H and arranged by Bobby Martin, POWER OF LOVE is likely a residual from the Philly LP project DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE and will be included on a compilation LP in 1973 of mixed productions.

and other times not:
    The Intruders WIN, PLACE, OR SHOW [SHE'S A WINNER] peaks this week just shy of the Soul chart's Top 10 at #11, which is not bad, but it's not enough of a winner for a place or even a show on the Hot 100.

which is a shame ...
    ... the stars are not quite yet lined up for disco .....not yet....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-06-2022 at 07:10 PM.

I truly enjoy these recaps.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I truly enjoy these recaps.
    Thank you for that SatansBlues!

I enjoy putting these together. Regrettably life has kind of has gotten in the way of my being timely. But I'm hoping to catch up .... I will have start 1973 in what, a couple of weeks!!!!!
    It's a bit challenging because I want to include certain additional material, which then takes more effort, and I don't want to compromise with something less.
    One part of the challenge is a post maxes out at 10,000 characters, so I wind up having to go back to decide what to reduce to make posts acceptable in length. Sometimes rewording here and there works, but for those weeks where the essentials are of high number, for example where there are many debuts on the Top 40 or Hot 100 , I wind up removing other items of interest found in that week's issue of Billboard.
    Each charting I never fail to learn new details from an era when music was important in my life, so its a satisfying labor of love.
    Merry Christmas SB
    and stay tuned for 1973, as life permits !!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-11-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #43

October 21, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 70
    last week: 75

From having the record at the very top of the chart at #1 last week , to having one that's at the very bottom of the chart at #100 this week, well such are the ups and downs of Motown. It's been nice, but Michael Jackson's plateau at the top turns out to be short lived at 1 week, with just too many strong records vying for that spot they force BEN down to #6.
    It's still the label's biggest 45 currently and their only one in the Top 40, but brother Jermaine is closing in at #48 with a bullet. The Temptations are also lookin' good, vaultin' 29 points to #54 the second week with PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE. With no drop offs and one premiering at #100, Motown has six records scattered on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

An unexpected record leapfrogs over other strong singles to become this week's #1 song. From #7 to #1 is Chuck Berry's MY DING-A-LING, the first #1 record of his career [SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN was #2 in 1957] and his first time back on the Top 40 since 1964. Michael Jackson's BEN drops quite a bit to #6 from #1 while the O'Jays' BACK STABBERS drops all the way to #35 from #9 allowing Rick Nelson to enter the Top 10, at #8 from #12, for the first time since 1963 with GARDEN PARTY a rare self-written tune in Rick's catalogue of 109 singles.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Only Michael Jackson [#6] is on the Top 40 this week.

Biggest mover within the chart, 9 places
    I AM WOMAN Helen Reddy - #27 from #36

Just four singles arrive to the Top 40, 3 American, 1 British, 1 +Top 10 bound+,

highest debut:
    +SUMMER BREEZE+ - Seals & Croft - #34 up 16 from #50 [*First time artist]

ELECTED - Alice Cooper - #37 up 11 from #48 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    AMERICAN CITY SUITE - Cashman & West #39 up 5 from #44 [One Hit Wonder]
    FROM THE BEGINNING - Emerson, Lake & Palmer #39 up 1 from #40 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Huge turnover, 16 debuts, 5 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Motown:
    Highest Debut:
    2nd tier:
    #63 - VENTURA HIGHWAY - America

#65 - IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - Albert Hammond
    3rd tier:
    #73 - THEME FROM THE MEN ** - Issac Hayes
    #80 - CONVENTION '72 -Delegates
    #87 - I LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW - Donny Hathaway
    #88 - TOGETHER ALONE - Melanie
    #89 - SUNDAY MORNING SUNSHINE - Harry Chapin
    #90 - CRAZY HORSES - Osmonds
    #91 -YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME - Al Green
    #92 - HEY YOU LOVE - Mouth And MacNeal
    #94 - DOWN TO THE NIGHTCLUB - Tower Of Power
    #95 - MISTY BLUE - Joe Simon
    #96 - PEOPLE TREE - Sammy Davis Jr.
    #98 - SONG SELLERS - Raiders
    #99 - WHAT AM I CRYING FOR - Dennis Yost/ Classics IV
    #100 - I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: - I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #100 - DEBUT

2nd week: - ^PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations #54 up 29 from # 83
    3rd week: - ^ IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #76 up 1 from #77
    6th week: - ^ THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #48 up 5 from #53
    7th week: - ^ [IT'S THE WAY] NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #53 up 1 from #54 [this week Billboard switches to the full correct title]

A very good week for:
    The Four Month Club:

Can't say when, if ever, three members of the Four Month Club were in the Top 10 at once as has happened this week, a testament to how hard a road some of these records travel to finally reach their peak. Mac Davis' BABY DON'T GET HOOKED ON ME is at #7 in its' 17th week, Raspberry's GO ALL THE WAY still in the Top 10 down from #5 in their 17th week, and still climbing in its' 16th week is POPCORN by Hot Butter up 1 to #9.

POPCORN may be the first chart hit whose primary sound is synthesized. If so, it is overdue and three years in the making, the POP CORN composition first appeared on Gershon Kingsley's MUSIC TO MOOG BY in 1969, and is finally presented by American band mate Stan Freeman and Hot Butter:

The arrival of pop electronica is well received internationally: POPCORN is #1 for 3 weeks in Germany, 4 weeks in France, Switzerland 10 weeks, #1 in Australia, #2 in Canada, #5 in England.

One other record on the Hot 100 is also in the Four Month Club this week, 16 weeks on and is still climbing at #23 [will peak at #19] is STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN by cousins
    Melvin Hardin and Hubert Timothy McPherson, Mississippian cousins who recorded this hit in Alabama in Muscle Shoals, their first [and final] Top 40 hit since 1969's BACKFIELD IN MOTION [#10]

LADY SINGS THE BLUES performed by Diana Ross gets the first of what will be ongoing promotions in Billboard by occupying all ad space on the magazine's cover as well as a full-page ad for the soundtrack further into the issue.

** disco significant record
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-15-2022 at 02:51 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #44

October 28, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 70

including:
    UNDISPUTED TRUTH - GIRL, YOU'RE ALRIGHT [2:58)
    [prod:Norman Whitfield-C.McMurray] [writers:Sawyer-McMurray]
    Flip: "With A Little Help From My Friends" [4:24] GORDY 7122

FOUR TOPS- KEEPER OF THE CASTLE [2:44] [prod:Barri/Lambert/ Potter] [writers:Lambert-
    Potter] Group's first for the label is a strong blues ballad penned by Lambert & Potter. Dynamite potential . ..pop and soul. . DUNHILL 4330

Michael's BEN is still a Top 10 record this week and it's joined in the Top 40 by PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE by The Temptations. The rest of the Motown charters are semi-stalled, with a new hopeful from, once again, The Jackson Five premiering at #88. No drop offs, gives Motown a strong showing with seven singles on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Reunion time on the Top Ten! [see below]
    MY DING-A-LING repeats at #1 staving off Bill Wither's attempt for the grand prize, now dropping to #4 after a spell at #2 with USE ME.
    Now pressing for the top spot at #2 from #3 is Elvis' BURNING LOVE. From #5 to #3 is NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN by The Moody Blues. Three drop offs this week: Mac Davis' BABY DON"T GET HOOKED ON ME #21 from #7 , Hot Butter's POPCORN dips to #24 from #9 and Raspberries GO ALL THE WAY goes all the way down to #33 from #10. These three replace them: Johnny Nash's I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW #5 from #20, FREDDIE'S DEAD by Curtis Mayfield #6 from #12, and GOOD TIMES CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES by Danny O'Keefe #10 from #14.

The Top 40:

Motown
    BEN - Michael Jackson - slips two places to #8
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations DEBUTs at #38

Biggest mover within the chart, 15 places
    I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME -Lobo #15 from #30

Just 2 new singles break [a first?], half Motown - half Philly, both +Top 10 bound+,

IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW
    - Harold Melvin/Bluenotes #36 up 8 from #44 [*1st Time Artist]
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations - #38 up 16 from #54 [30th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

Nine new arrivals, 4 Top 40 bound, 4 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Motown, 1 by proxy.

Highest debut:
    third tier
    #72 - DIALOGUE - Chicago

#83 - WORK TO DO - Isley Bros -Former Motown Act
    #86 - CLAIR - Gilbert O'Sullivan
    #88 - CORNER OF THE SKY - Jackson Five
    #90 - DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT - King Harvest
    #91 - SOMEONE SPECIAL [sic] - Heywoods
    #98 - DO YA - Move
    #99 - REDWOOD TREE - Van Morrison
    #100 - SUITE: MAN AND WOMAN - Tony Cole

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: CORNER OF THE SKY - Jackson Five -#88 - DEBUT
    2nd week: - ^ I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #94 up 6 from #100

4th week: - ^ IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #74 up 2 from #76
    7th week: - ^ THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #47 up 1 from #48
    8th week: - [IT'S THE WAY] NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #64 down 11 from #53

A very good week for:
    Renaissance
    Four of the records in the Top Ten are by acts dating from the 50's. Chuck Berry at #1, Elvis Presley at #2, Johnny Nash at #5, and Rick[y] Nelson at #7.
    Other reminiscent names that are on the Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts: Wayne Newton, Cher, Johnny Rivers, O'Jays, and thanks to Mike Curb's MGM Records: Sammy Davis Jr., Steve & Eydie, and Petula Clark.

Chuck Berry must be pinching himself. A song he's been toying with for years has suddenly made him the hottest act on the circuit:
    First written and recorded in 1952 by versatile music man Dave Bartholomew whose other credits also include AIN'T THAT A SHAME and I HEAR YOU KNOCKING.

Like others, Chuck Berry played with the song and its lyrics...

... but it's his live version of MY DING-A-LING recorded in February of this year at a festival in England complete with the crowd's enthusiastic participation that has struck a chord.

Disco is arriving: some are paying attention.

CHICAGO
    -condensed -

A new talent production firm is offering nightclub record spinners in approx. "2,000 night spots," their first recognition via a contest in a controversial attempt to urge bar and lounge owners to hire more live acts. Club owners hire the 'dee-jays' often at $40 a night instead of using live performers. ...spinners are seen as not only depriving live acts of business but have been the bane of jukebox operators as well. Spinners operate in predominately black neighborhoods... some are moonlighting deejays from black stations... most move to two or three spots a week. Spinners themselves feel exploited because many pay upward of $1500 to $2,000 for elaborate equipment and buy their records. Where club owners might pay $700 a night for two singing acts, an announcer and a five piece band, they can get by for far less by using a spinner.
    Spinning records for dance hops at schools and such, and discotheques of the 60's are nothing new, but the displacing of live acts in bars and clubs is. It's a trend that will get more refined, where the DJ will become the night's star attraction using two turntables and a microphone.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-17-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Chart #45

November 4, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 75
    last week:84
    including:
    STEVIE
    WONDER - SUPERSTITION [[3:59)
    [prod: Stevie Wonder] [writer: Wonder) Flip: No info available. TAMLA 54226

Michael Jackson seems in no hurry to leave the Top Ten, he again drops just 2 places to #10 from #8. A wise move as it might be a long time in coming again. Jermaine's attempt to join his brother on the Top 40 looks iffy as this week he repeats at #47. The family as a whole is coming on stronger with a thirty point jump to #57 from #88. The Temptations meanwhile have the week's strongest moving record on the Top 40. No singles drop off as one by Rare Earth joins on and Motown has an impressive 8 singles on the Hot 100. A good week.

The Top 10:

One 50's artist replaces another as Johnny Nash moves into the top spot held for two weeks by Chuck Berry and MY DING-A-LING . Interestingly, both their hits are stalling low on the Soul Chart repeating at #44 for Chuck and #45 for Johnny. I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW is fairing far better over on the MOR chart where it is also #1, replacing The Fifth Dimension's IF I COULD REACH YOU, now #2 while remaining completely absent from the Soul Chart.
    NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN by The Moody Blues is now #2, their best chart performance yet and prolonged in coming, the song having been recorded five years ago.
    Motown is still Top Tenning , but just barely, Michael's BEN, clings there for another week, dipping to #10.
    Two 45s drop out , and two take their place. The Spinner's promised to be around and they are, in at #7 from #14 with I'LL BE AROUND and just below that at #8 is Lobo's I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME from #15 taking just seven weeks of Hot 100 charting to get there. Bill Withers' latest has now been used up, peaking at #2 with USE ME and he bows out at #13. The Main Ingredient's EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL now to #16 from #9.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    BEN - Michael Jackson - slips two places to #10
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations leap halfway up the chart to #17 from #38.

Biggest mover within the chart: 18 points
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations - #17 from # 38

Seven songs bust through to the Top 40: Six American, One British, 4 +Top 10 bound+
    highest debut:
    +CONVENTION '72+ - The Delegates #26 up 21 from #57 [*One Hit Wonder]

+YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME+
    - Al Green #31 up 28 from #59 [5th Top 40 hit]
    OPERATOR - Jim Croce #35 up 11 from #46 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    ROCK N ROLL SOUL - Grand Funk Railroad #36 up 8 from #44 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    +VENTURA HIGHWAY+ - America #37 up 5 from #42 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    +IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA+ - Albert Hammond #39 up 11 from #50 [*1st Top 40 hit]
    ALL THE YOUNG DUDES - Mott The Hoople - #40 up 1 from #41 [*One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Fourteen new arrivals, 4 Top 40 bound, 4 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 3 Philly International related, 1 Motown.
    Highest debut
    3rd tier
    #
    71 - I DIDN'T KNOW I LOVED YOU [TIL I SAW YOU ROCK AND ROLL] - Gary Glitter

#74 - ME AND MRS. JONES - Billy Paul
    #76 - LIVING IN THE PAST - Jethro Tull
    #77 - IN HEAVEN THERE IS NO BEER - Clean Living
    #79 - LIES - J.J. Cale
    #82 - I FOUND MY DAD - Joe Simon
    #84 - ONE NIGHT AFFAIR ** - Jerry Butler
    #85 - GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth
    #89 - LONG DARK ROAD - Hollies
    #90 - LOVIN' YOU LOVIN' ME - Candi Staton
    #93 - I GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY - Billy Lee Riley
    #94 - ROBERTA - Bones
    #95 - PEOPLE TREE - Sammy Davis Jr.
    #100 - CELEBRATION - Tommy James

disco significant record

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: - GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #85 DEBUT
    2nd week: - ^CORNER OF THE SKY - Jackson Five - #57 up 31 from #88
    3rd week: - ^ I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #88 up 6 from #94
    5th week: - ^ IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #67 up 7 from #74
    8th week: - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #47 again at #47
    9th week: - [IT'S THE WAY] NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops #65 down 1 from #64

GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES by Danny O'Keefe advances 1 to #8 on the Top 10 and Motown's Rare Earth enters The Hot 100 with GOOD TIME SALLY. Maybe the two will happily cross paths as they joyfully traverse the charts.

Next Tuesday there will be a national US election. Some fun is being had on the charts about it.
    Rewriting their failed first single from 1969, Alice Cooper's REFLECTED now becomes ELECTED.
    It'll peak at #26 during election week, and will do better as a European release, and will reach #4 in the UK.

Moving up 31 points to be the weeks highest Top 40 debut, CONVENTION '72 by The Delegates is a novelty political spoof:

The edited break-in format, first introduced by Dickie Goodman back in the fifties most successfully with a 45 about UFOs, was this time developed by a morning DJ in Chicago , Bob DeCarlo, with an instrumental B-side supplied by jazzy label mate Charles Kynard.

From Billboard's Soul Sauce:

Valerie Simpson and Nick Ashford's album is being completed now for Motown Records, and they are preparing a Nov. show for the
    Bitter End, New York. Besides performing, the pair also write and produce....
    ...The Jackson 5 are off on a European tour Nov. 2-12. Group may have prime time Saturday TV show on ABC-TV soon!
    Julian Coleman is also picking as his pick single of the week, GIRL YOU'RE ALRIGHT by The Undisputed Truth which if typical, is the record's kiss of death.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-19-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #46

November 11, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week:

including:

also recommended,
    OTIS REDDING - My Girl [2:54) [prod:Otis Redding, Jim Stewart,
    Steve Cropper & the Stax Staff) [writers: Robinson-White) ATCO 6907

The Temptations and Michael Jackson bypass each other on the charts, making PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE Motown's biggest record this week at #13 as BEN dips below that at #17. Those two are Motown's Top 40 songs for the week. Just out of reach is the J5's CORNER OF THE SKY, which will likely become Top 40 next week. The rest of the label's song movements are kind of curious: four titles and each barely nudge, each advancing just one place from last week [see charting below]. One single drops out, none enter, so the Motown tabulation is 7 charters on The Hot 100 this week.

The Top 10:

Johnny Nash clearly has the nation's favorite tune, as I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW repeats at the top for a second solid week.The Moody Blues NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN lays in waiting again at #2. Three new Top Tenners this week, two with very different "women" themes. #8 from #12 is Helen Reddy with I AM WOMAN while
    WITCHY WOMAN by The Eagles moves in at #10 from #15. And with a major move up this week, The Delegates come in at #9 from #26 with CONVENTION '72, a timely advancement for this political focus as this is election week. [see Chart #45.] Three go: BURNING LOVE by Elvis Presley with his last release to reach the Top Ten peaking at #2 now #14 from #5, GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES by Danny O'Keefe to #15 from #9, and BEN from #10 to #17 by Michael Jackson.

The Top 40:

Motown:

Same two charters, one going up, one down:
    ^PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    - Temptations - five solid steps up to #12 from #17
    BEN
    - Michael Jackson - Out of Top 10, from #10 to #17

Biggest mover within the chart: 17 spots
    CONVENTION '72 - The Delegates #9 from #26

6 arrivals all strong, 5 US, 1 UK, 4 +Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related

highest debut:
    +I'M STONE IN LOVE WITH YOU+ -The Stylistics #25 up 16 from #41 [5th Top 40 hit]

+FUNNY FACE+ - Donna Fargo - #31 up 13 from #45 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]
    CRAZY HORSES - Osmonds #32 up 18 from #50 [6th Top 40 hit]
    SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH ME - Austin Roberts #33 up 13 from #46 [*1st time artist]
    +CLAIR+ -Gilbert O'Sullivan - #36 up 17 from #53 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    +ROCKIN' PNEUMONIA AND THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU+ - Johnnie Rivers #38 up 6 from #44 [14th Top 40 hit, first since 1967]

The Hot 100:

Ten new arrivals, 5 Top 40 bound, one first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, no Motown, 1 by proxy.

Highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #57 SWEET SURRENDER - Bread

3rd tier:
    #71 KEEPER OF THE CASTLE - Four Tops former Motown act
    #81 - 992 ARGUMENTS - O'Jays
    #83 -AND YOU AND I - Yes
    #85 - WALK ON WATER - Neil Diamond
    #89 - YOUR MAMA DON'T DANCE - Loggins And Messina
    #90 - ANNABELLE - Daniel Boone
    #98 - SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES - Blue Haze#99 - YOU TURN ME ON, I'M A RADIO - Joni Mitchell
    #100 - MAMA TOLD ME NO TO COME - Wilson Pickett-

Motown:
    no debuts:
    2nd week: - ^GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #84 up 1 from #85
    3rd week: - ^CORNER OF THE SKY - Jackson Five - #42 up 15 from #57
    4th week: - ^ I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #87 up 1 from #88
    6th week: - ^IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #66 up 1 from #67
    9th week: - ^THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #46 up 1 from #47
    10th week: - [IT'S THE WAY] NATURE PLANNED IT - Four Tops OFF from #65

Off:
    [IT'S THE WAY] NATURE PLANNED IT - , the Four Tops drop off the Hot 100 with their 28th Motown single to chart on it since BABY I NEED YOUR LOVIN, their first 45 release, went to #11 in 1964, and without skipping a beat, continue charting this week with their first single from their new label ABC already at #77. NATURE PLANNED IT fades as not a memorable exit from Motown for the group, despite being their title song from the final Motown LP, it falls short of the Top 40 peaking at #53. Pam Sawyer and Frank Wilson wrote it and hard working Jerry Long arranged it. He's also got an outside project he worked on that's now climbing the charts, DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT by King Harvest at #85 in its third week.

A very good week for:
    The Mamas and the Papas
    The Temptations' PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE at #13 is Motown's biggest record of the week. Meanwhile two 'mama' records enter the Hot 100 this week: Wilson Pickett's cover of Three Dog Night's MAMA TOLD ME NO TO COME and YOUR MAMA DON'T DANCE the biggest career single for the duo of Loggins And Messina.

Exploring the B-sides and hats off to the DJs that do so ...
    ... The Spinners first post-Motwn single was the Thom Bell produced HOW COULD I LET YOU GET AWAY that started charting Soul 13 weeks ago. Soon DJs were flipping the record and playing its' B-side I'LL BE AROUND, making the 45 listed for awhile as a two-sided hit. For some reason, by the time it charted Hot 100, the original credit for the A-side was dropped. Seems a shame because although it'll peak at #3 and be a million seller, had its' double-sided value been maintained it might have done even a bit better, having been #1 on the Soul chart now for its fifth and final week at that spot.

Both sides of the 45 won't appear on an album until spring of next year on the Spinners' self-titled LP, their first on Atlantic.

• Not all B-sides with potential, like Billy Preston's OUTA-SPACE earlier this year, get noticed. Case in point, dropping off the Top 40 this week is Leon Russell's TIGHT ROPE after peaking at #11.

Its' B-side, written by Russell, will get versions recorded by Helen Reddy and The Carpenters and in a few years will become a Top 10 record for George Benson, his first hit, and what was originally considered a b-side song, THIS MASQUERADE, will win the 1977 Grammy as Record Of The Year.

Movie Review in this week's Billboard for LADY SINGS THE BLUES:

First and last paragraphs:

The only flaw regarding "Lady Sings The Blues' is the newspaper ads. They claim that Diana Ross is Billie Holiday. They are not only misleading , but unfair. Unfair to Billy Holiday, the husky-voiced, tormented blues singer of the 30's and 40's, and unfair to Miss Ross, the velvet voice, soul singer of the 60's.
    It is reported that Berry Gordy invested $4 million in Diana Ross' ability to recreate the life of Billie Holiday. It's an investment that will surely pay off because Diana Ross is superb as Billie Holiday.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-29-2022 at 04:52 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #47

November 18, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 78
    last week: 70

Three Motown records are in the Top 40, one with a strong jump into the Top 10, The Temptations' PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE. Michael rubs shoulders with his brothers this round as BEN slips to #33 and CORNER OF THE SKY debuts just below it at #34.
    Last week, 4 Motown records moved up just one notch on the Hot 100, which
    at least was upward movement for them. This week 3 of those titles remain parked in the same ranking as last week [see chart below]. At this rate, next week the only place for them to go will be down. One new Motown entry and no drop offs, Motown totals with a respectable 8 singles charting.

The Top 10
    :

The view from the top is great as Johnny Nash can see clearly now for the third straight week at #1. Below at #2 Lobo edges up one with hopes at a turn at #1. The top four records this week have an interesting commonality [see below]. Motown has the hottest Top 10 arrival, in at #6 from #13 with PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE are The Temptations. One other song, SUMMER BREEZE by Seals & Crofts enters the Top 10 their first time out, at #10 from #16. Down and out: Rick Nelson's GARDEN PARTY disperses to #12 from #6 and MY DING-A-LING by Chuck Berry deflates to #14 from #7.

The Top 40:

Motown:

Three records from Motown are on the Top 40:
    - Temptations - zips up to #6 from #13
    BEN
    - Michael Jackson - dives to #33 from#17
    CORNER OF THE SKY - The Jackson Five return at #34 DEBUT

Biggest mover within the chart: {tie:} 8 points
    OPERATOR - Jim Croce
    #22 from #30
    CLAIR - Gilbert O'Sullivan #28 from #36

Just four newbies, three by current big guns, all US acts,
    1 +Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 1 Motown
    Highest debut:
    CORNER OF THE SKY
    - The Jackson Five #36 up 6 from #42 [11th Top 40 hit]

DIALOGUE
    - Chicago - #38 up 6 from #44 [10th Top 40 hit]
    +ME AND MRS. JONES+ - Billy Paul
    - #39 up 9 from #48 [*1st time artist]
    SWEET SURRENDER - Bread #40 up 15 from #55 - [10th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Ten new arrivals, 7 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, .
    Highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #63 - ALIVE - Bee Gees

3rd tier:
    #79 - I'VE GOT A BAG OF MY OWN - James Brown
    #80 - ANGEL - Rod Stewart
    #82 - SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder
    #83 - SUPERFLY - Curtis Mayfield
    #85 - DAY AND NIGHT - Wackers
    #89 - SITTING - Cat Stevens
    #90 - PIECES OF APRIL - Three Dog Night
    #93 - THE WORLD IS A GHETTO - War
    #96 - MAMA WEER ALL CRAZEE NOW - Slade
    #98 - DO IT AGAIN - Steely Dan
    #100 - YOU CAN DO MAGIC - Limmie and Family Cookin'
    1st week: - SUPERSTITION - #82 Stevie Wonder DEBUT

3rd week: - ^GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #77 #84 up 1 from #85
    5th week: - I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #87 again at #87
    7th week: - IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #66 again at #66
    10th week: - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #46 again at #46
    no offs
    The eyes have it, the top four songs this week are:
    #1 - I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW - Johnny Nash
    #2 - I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME - Lobo
    #3 - I'LL BE AROUND - The Spinners
    #4 - I AM WOMAN - Helen Reddy
    [and at #11 - IF I COULD REACH YOU - The 5th Dimension]

It hasn't gone unnoticed that a large portion of Motown's success the past couple of years can be credited to one act, The Jackson Five [and its off shoots]. Similar success has come to MGM with The Osmonds. Other similar family acts are in the frying pan. One such debuts this week at #100, Limmie and The Family Cookin', consisting of the Snell siblings from Canton Ohio. 24 year-old Limmie has been recording since age 11, and now expands his act into a singing group with his two sisters Jimmie and Martha with Jimmie on lead:

The record will go largely unnoticed peaking at #86. The UK is more receptive and YOU CAN DO MAGIC will hit #3 there in '73.

Meanwhile a front page ad
    box in this issue by Pride/MGM Records features their young family act, The Sylvers out of Los Angeles promoting their second single from their first album:

WISH THAT I COULD TALK TO YOU
    produced by Jerry Butler, is a current song with a chart performance to keep an eye on.

Julian Coleman's Soul Sauce column chooses 'THE SUPREMES' as the best new album of the week.

A three-page ad by Motown stating:
    'Listen
    to what's happening '
    at Motown.
    the first page devoted entirely to LADY SINGS THE BLUES including these reviews:

"Diana
    Ross should be the biggest superstar to come along since Barbra Streisand ..."
    - William Wolt.
    Cue Magazine

'Lady Sings
    The Blues' is a smashing movie! Miss Diana Ross has turned into this year's blazing new musical actress!"
    - Gene Shalit,
    WNBC-TV

. Diana as Billie gives an Oscar-worthy performance."
    - Joyce Haber,
    Los Angeles Times

"Miss Ross is an actress of exceptional beauty and wit."
    - Vincent
    Canby..
    N.Y. Times

"... a production with Academy Award potential for the star performance ..."
    - Leonard Feather,
    Los Angeles Times
    the other two pages feature other LPs out at the time by Motown.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-02-2023 at 11:56 PM.

this week requires a two-part post due to length

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #48
    Part One
    November 25, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 78
    last week: 67

Including:

SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES - I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY [3:28)
    [prod: Johnny Bristol) [writers: Jones-Brown -Bristol)Culled from their "Flying High Together" LP, Smokey and group offera super ballad performance for top 40, Soul and MOR. Flip: "WithYour Love Came" [3:04) TAMLA 54225

JERMAINE
    JACKSON - DADDY'S HOME [2:59)
    [prod: the Corporation) [writers:Shepard-Miller) For
    his second solo release the 17-year-old member of the Jacksons comes
    up with a winner in this revival of the top 10 Shep & the Limelites
    hit of 1961. Flip: "Take Me in Your Arms [Rock Me for a Little
    While)" [[2:59) MOTOWN 1216

BOBBY DARIN - HAPPY [Love Theme From "Lady Sings the Blues") [3:54)
    [prod:Bob Crewe) [writers: Legrand- Robinson) With
    a lyric by Smokey Robinson, music by Michel Legrand, production
    by Bob Crewe and one of Darin's finest performances on record,
    this ballad from the film "Lady Sings the Blues" can't miss for
    top 40 and MOR action. Flip:No info available. MOTOWN 1217

It's been nice watching Michael Jackson's solo career take him to the top and Motown sorely needed it after a year-and-a-half dry spell of no #1s. BEN could well turn out to be the label's only chart topper this year, although 1972 is not over and this week The Temptations enter the top 5 with PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE. Michael drops off the Hot 100, while the five brothers shoot up the Top 40 nine positions with CORNER OF THE SKY. Brother Jermaine just misses the Top 40 his first time out, slipping some this week with a new release already in the channels. Nothing debuts this chart period with just one drop off, and with several hanging on by the skin of their teeth, Motown has seven singles on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Week four for American artist Johnny Nash's I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW, which he wrote and produced and recorded in London with Jamaican Fabulous Five Inc. members.
    The next three songs repeat their positions, while The Temptations push upward from #6 to #5 with PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE. Three singles break through: Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW to #7 from #13, YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME by Al Green #8 up from #15, with The Fifth Dimension's IF I COULD REACH YOU barely reaching in at #10 from #11 .
    Election week is over as is the interest in political humor and Delegates' CONVENTION '72 begins to descend in only its 6th chart week to #11 from #8.
    FREDDIE'S DEAD by Curtis Mayfield is on his way out #7 from #12, and WITCHY WOMAN by The Eagles dives from #9 to #16.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Two records from Motown are on the Top 40:
    - Temptations - shifts to#5 from #6
    CORNER OF THE SKY - The Jackson Five fly up to #27 from #36

off:
    BEN - Michael Jackson's version of the movie's theme is played during the movie's closing credits. There was no BEN soundtrack so the song only appears on Michael's second solo LP [titled BEN]. BEN was the only single released from the Top Ten album. A second single, EVERYBODY'S SOMEBODY'S FOOL,was scheduled, but for unknown reasons withdrawn. BEN leaves the Hot 100 from #33 after charting 16 weeks, making the record a member of the four month club.

Connie Francis took EVERYBODY'S SOMEBODY'S FOOL to #1 in 1960 making her the first female to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100. Connie believed in the record; her label, MGM, did not. It was released as a "b" side that got flipped and became an international hit and reached #1 in New Zealand, Norway and Canada.
    Michael's label, Motown, perhaps has the same lack of confidence in the song. As a soloist, Jackson will now take a lengthy break from the Top 40.

Biggest mover on the chart: 16 jumps
    ME AND MRS. JONES - Billy Paul #23 from #39

Light week, four new entries. 3 USA 1 UK,
    1+Top 10 bound+
    Highest Debut:
    WALK ON WATER - Neil Diamond #34 up 17 from #51 [20th Top 40 hit]

LIVING IN THE PAST
    - Jethro Tull - #36 up 11 from #47 [* First time artist]
    SUNNY DAYS - Lighthouse #38 up 5 from #43 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]
    +SUPERFLY+- Curtis Mayfield - #40 up 43 from #83 [2nd Top 40 hit]

November 25 Chart #48 continues next post.....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-13-2023 at 05:16 AM.

this week requires a two-part post due to length

see part one above^

]
    Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #48
    Part Two
    November 25, 1972

The Hot 100:

Eleven new arrivals, 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown,
    Highest debut:
    third tier
    #77 - I WANNA BE WITH YOU - Raspberries

#81 - ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH - John Denver
    #83 - EVERYBODY LOVES A LOVE SONG - Mac Davis
    #88 - BEEN TO CANAAN - Carole King
    #89 - WHAT WOULD THE CHILDREN THINK - Rick Springfield
    #90 - JEAN GENIE - David Bowie
    #94 - WHY CANT WE LIVE TOGETHER** - Timmy Thomas
    #96 - YOU'RE A LADY - Peter Skellern
    #97 - AMERICA - Simon & Garfunkel
    #98 - YOU'RE A LADY - Dawn
    #100 - I'M SORRY -Joey Heatherton

** disco significant record

Motown:
    No debuts:
    2nd week: - SUPERSTITION - #71 up 11 from #82 Stevie Wonder
    4th week: - GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #72 down 5 from #77
    6th week: - ^ I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #85 up 2 from #87
    8th week: - IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks #74 down 8 from #66
    11th week: - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson #53 down 7 from #46
    no offs

A very good week for:
    You too.
    The I's still hold the top 4 titles of the countdown, but this week YOU joins them on the Top 10 with 'you' in all three entries: IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW, YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME, and IF I COULD REACH YOU.

It's been awhile since there have been dueling versions on the Hot 100. American group Dawn has released their revision of England's Peter Skellern's YOU'RE A LADY already a hit there and still on the UK chart this week after reaching #3. Both hit the charts here this same week and it's off to the races.

This full-bodied nostalgic sounding piece is Peter's big moment, although he'll have another hit in the UK [#14] in 1975, HOLD ON TO LOVE, and continue music endeavors his entire life.

Billboard reviews the LADY SINGS THE BLUES ST:

DIANA ROSS/ SOUNDTRACK-
    Lady Sings the Blues

Motown [2LP's) M 758 D

The brilliant reviews Diana Ross has been receiving for her film portrayal of Billie Holiday are equally well deserved for her capturing of the Holiday sound in this superb soundtrack package. Standout performances include "You've Changed," "God Bless the Child," "My Man," and"Don't Explain." Will certainly prove a giant at the dealer level and the charts.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-13-2023 at 05:24 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #49

December 2, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 80
    last week: 67

>>>#1! <<<
    The Temptations do it with a solid jump from #5. Meanwhile, the J5 remain Motown's one other Top 40 act, with a strong advancement. Stevie Wonder will get there soon based on his chart movement, up 28 places this week. One of Motown's most famed acts has this week's highest Top 40 debut.
    Motown drops to five singles total on the charts as two drop off and none replace.

The Top 10:

Above the rest are The Temptations with their 7 minute radio filibusterer:
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE. I AM WOMAN is close at hand at #2 from #4 by Helen Reddy. The Top Ten a complete juggle with only SUMMER BREEZE settled in at #6 again. Making room for two news ones: IF I COULD REACH YOU The Fifth Dimension from #10, as high as they could reach, to #14, and NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN by The Moody Blues from #9 to #17. Now on: VENTURA HIGHWAY by America #10 from #13 and IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CA. by Albert Hammond at #8 from #14

The Top 40:

Motown:
    - Temptations - #1
    ^CORNER OF THE SKY - The Jackson Five lift to #22 from #27

Biggest mover within the chart: 10 positions
    ME AND MRS. JONES - Billy Paul #13 from #23

Seven newbies, a British invasion, 4 UK, 3 US,
    2 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown , 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    KEEPER OF THE CASTLE - The Four Tops #32 up 9 from #41 [20th Top 40 hit]

LONG DARK ROAD - Hollies - #33 up 12 from #45 [10th Top 40 hit]
    YOUR MAMA DON'T DANCE - Loggins & Messina #34 up 21 from #55 [First time artist]
    SITTING - Cat Stevens #35 up 16 from #51 [5th Top 40 hit]
    ALIVE - Bee Gees - #37 up 17 from #54 [13th Top 40 hit]
    THEME FROM "THE MEN" - Isaac Hayes - #39 up 4 from #43 [6th Top 40 hit]
    I DIDN'T KNOW I LOVED YOU [TIL I SAW YOU ROCK AND ROLL] - Gary Glitter -#38 up 9 from #47 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Big turnover, thirteen new arrivals, 8 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown,
    Highest debut: 2nd tier:
    #60 - DON'T LET ME BE LONELY TONIGHT -James Taylor

3rd tier:
    #71 - SEPARATE WAYS - Elvis Presley
    #74 -OH BABE WHAT WOULD YOU SAY -Hurricane Smith
    #76 - WE NEED ORDER - Chi-Lites
    #78 - JAMBALAYA [ON THE BAYOU] - Blue Ridge Rangers [John Fogerty]
    #84 - I'LL BE YOUR SHELTER [IN TIME OF STORM] - Luther Ingram
    #90 - REELIN' AND ROCKIN' - Chuck Berry
    #92 - ONE WAY OUT - Allman Bros.
    #93 - I RECEIVED A LETTER - Delbert & Glen
    #93 - ME AND MY BABY GOT OUR OWN THING GOIN' -Lynn Collins
    #95 - WOMAN TO WOMAN - Joe Cocker
    #99 - YOU'RE SO VAIN - Carly Simon
    #100 - COVER OF ROLLING STONE - Dr. Hook/Medicine Show

Motown:
    No debuts:
    3rd week: - ^SUPERSTITION -
    Stevie Wonder #43 up 28 from #71
    5th week: - ^GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #68 up 4 from #72
    7th week: - I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes #85 again
    9th week: - IF YOU LET ME - Eddie Kendricks OFF from #74
    11th week: - THAT'S HOW LOVE GOES - Jermaine Jackson OFF from #53

2 offs:
    Years before there is SHAME, SHAME, SHAME or ROCK YOUR BABY , there is:

the B-side to Jermaine Jackson's THAT HOW LOVE GOES which peaked at #46 just outside the Top 40 [#23 Soul]. Pity some radio jocks didn't turn this one over.
    Disco before there was disco. [A remake of I LOST MY LOVE IN THE BIG CITY by The Elgins , but not those Elgins]

Also off, Eddie Kendricks can't seem to get his footing as a solo artist, in spite of records sounding like this:

IF YOU LET ME has peaked at #66 [#17 R&B], as the second released single from his 2nd solo LP, PEOPLE HOLD ON, out since last May. There's still more to be harvested from it in the new year.

A very good week for:
    Southern California
    of where both records entering the Top 10 are about:
    Albert Hammond explaining it never rains there, and the group America sings about its' Ventura Freeway.

full page ad:
    Rare Earth's new album reads: "Willie Remembers ....and you'll never forget" with full page photo of Willie holding the album.

two page ad celebrating Motown's winners of this year's Image Awards.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-16-2023 at 01:59 PM.

Chart #50

December 9, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 71
    last week: 80
    including:
    POP:
    MARVIN GAYE- TROUBLE MAN - [3:50] [prod: Marvin Gaye] [writer: Marvin Gaye] Strong rhythm ballad in the blues bag from the film of the same name, scored by Gaye. TAMLA 54228

The Temptations finish their turn at the #1 spot, Stevie Wonder has the Top 40's highest debuting single, The Supremes fizzle, and Valerie Simpson, half of the "AIN'T" writing team of Ashford and Simpson, makes her first [and only] appearance on the charts as a solo performer. Jermaine Jackson also arrives soloing again this week giving Motown 6 charters.
    _________

The Top Ten:

PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE by the Temptations loses its grip at #1, dipping to #2, allowing Helen Reddy to roar I AM WOMAN from the top. A shuffle of all ten positions to let three new ones in: ME AND MRS. JONES Billy Paul in at #6 from #13, CLAIR Gilbert O'Sullivan, #9 from #12 and The Stylistics' STONE IN LOVE WITH YOU with a laid-back arrival at #10 from #11. Off: SUMMER BREEZE by Seals and Crofts downdrafts to #11 from #6, I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME by Lobo plunges to #16 from #4, and they've been around for 17 weeks , now The Spinners are down to #18 from #9 with I'LL BE AROUND.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    - Temptations - #2 from last week's #1
    ^CORNER OF THE SKY - The Jackson Five rises to #19 from #22

Biggest mover within the chart: 9 positions
    SUPERFLY - Curtis Mayfield #22 from #31

5 newcomers, All US,
    1 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown , 0 by proxy
    highest debut:
    +
    SUPERSTITION+
    - Stevie Wonder #32 up 11 from #43 [23rd Top 40 hit]

PIECES OF APRIL - Three Dog night #33 up 14 from #47 [15th Top 40 hit]
    I WANNA BE WITH YOU - Raspberries #37 up 8 from #45 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    WHAT AM I CRYING FOR - Dennis Yost & The Classic IV #39 up 2 from #41 [5th and final Top 40 hit]
    BEEN TO CANAAN - Carole King #40 up 10 from #50 [7th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eleven new arrivals, 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown,
    Highest debut:
    3rd tier:
    #73 - CROCODILE ROCK - Elton John

#80 - LOVE JONES - Brighter Side Of Darkness
    #81 - LET US LOVE - Bill Withers
    #82 - THE RELAY - Who
    #92 - ONE LAST TIME - Glen Campbell
    #93 - HARRY HIPPIE - Bobby Womack & Peace
    #94 - DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson
    #96 - SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson
    #97 - KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE - Mary Hopkins
    #98 - DIDN'T WE - Barbra Streisand
    #100 - I MISS YOU BABY - Millie Jackson

Motown:
    2 debuts:
    1st week: DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson #94 DEBUT
    1st week: SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson - #96 DEBUT

4rd week: - ^SUPERSTITION -
    Stevie Wonder Top 40 from #43
    6th week: - ^GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #67 up 1 from #68
    8th week: - I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes OFF from #85

off: I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN - Supremes

In spite of the album's title, "Jimmy Webb Produces and Arranges The Supremes", there is one cut on the album Webb had nothing to do with and its the one Motown has chosen as the LP's first single, ironically titled I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN, which I guess they don't. [the B-side OVER AND OVER is from their previous FLOY JOY album]. After a two month struggle it has peaked at #85 , #17 Adult Contemporary, and with no charting on the Soul chart. The Bob Fosse Pippin musical the single is from also provided a moderate hit for The Jackson Five with CORNER OF THE SKY. Sherlie Matthews and Deke Richards produced Stephen Schwartz' I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN and it is likely Sherlie being heard amongst the back-up.

a very good week for :
    Stormy Weather
    Winter is just around the corner and so its time to say goodbye to garden parties and fair weather songs like I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW and SUMMER BREEZE, because when it RAINS IN SOUTHERN CA , it's flu season...as in THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU, at #15. As Eric Clapton says at #58, LET IT RAIN.

Isaac Hayes continues to guide popular music toward disco following his driving THEME from SHAFT with his action-paced THEME FROM THE MEN [TV show] peaking this week at #39. This is a non-album single release, however a live version has found its way onto Hayes' LIVE AT THE SAHARA TAHOE LP recorded November 26th, to be released next year becoming Isaac's 5th LP in a row to hit #1 on the Soul LP chart [#14 Pop]

Jerry Butler is peaking this week outside the Top 40 at #52 as well as #6 Soul with a revival of ONE NIGHT AFFAIR, a Gamble and Huff song first recorded by The O'Jays in 1969. The song will get several disco treatments [Esther Phillips, Jay Black, Simona Cooke] but none fully take off.

With its piercing string arrangement , repeating high hat and scratchy guitar, ONE NIGHT AFFAIR has many characteristics that would classify it as disco. The record has a drive and a sexual attitude lyrically that Thom Bell and Bobby Martin will continue to finesse once in the new Sigma studios.
    Jerry apparently noticed the song while recording ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE with the same cast of Philly players. That tune also in parts features an energetic churning disco arrangement.

Full-page ad for Marvin Gaye's latest single TROUBLE MAN with a Marvin Gaye photo of him sitting in a chair.
    reads: Marvin Gaye scores for the first time....
    ...Marvin Gaye has scored again .

Julian Coleman's Soul Sauce column chooses TROUBLE MAN as the single of the week.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-22-2023 at 01:16 PM.

Chart #51

December 16, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week:
    last week: 71

The Motown Review:
    The Temptations are still Top 10, J5 Top 20, and Stevie Wonder Top 30. 60's Motown names, Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson debut on the Hot 100. No drop-offs means 8 records are piercing the Hot 100 from Motown.

The Top 10:

Switching gears at #1, from a woman who's roaring in self pride: Helen Reddy with I AM WOMAN [now #2] to one who's sneaking around: MRS. JONES with Billy Paul, with a big jump to the top spot from #6.
    A very rare week where no singles break into the Top Ten.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Three records from Motown are on the Top 40:
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    - Temptations - Still Top 10: from #2 to #6
    ^CORNER OF THE SKY - The Jackson Five inch to #18 from #19
    ^SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder advances from #27 to #32

Biggest mover within the chart: 9 positions
    BEEN TO CANAAN - Carole King #31 from #40

Just 3 break, 2 US, 1UK, 1 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown , 0 by proxy
    highest debut:
    +YOU'RE SO VAIN+ - Carly Simon #37 up 23 from #60 [3rd Top 40 hit]

DON'T LET ME BE LONELY TONIGHT
    - James Taylor #38 up 3 from #41 [5th Top 40 hit]
    ANGEL - Rod Stewart#40 up 3 from #43 [4th Top 40 hit, one week only]

The Hot 100:

Seven debuts, 4 Top 40 bound, 1 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    3rd tier:
    #81 - TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye

#82 -LOOKING THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE - Partridge Family
    #89 - I CANT STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson/Miracles
    #97 - JESUS IS JUST ALRIGHT - Doobie Bros.
    #98 - LAST SONG - Edward Bear
    #99 - CHOO CHOO MAMA - Ten Years After
    #100 - HI HI HI - Wings

Motown:
    2 debuts:
    1st week: TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye #81 DEBUT
    1st week: I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson/Miracles #89 DEBUT

2nd week: ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson #84 up 10 from #94
    2nd week: ^ SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson - #93 up 3 from #96
    7th week: GOOD TIME SALLY - Rare Earth #67 again

A very good week for:
    The Philly sound.

Three of this week's Top 10 records come out of the Sigma studios.

ME AND MRS. JONES - Billy Paul at #1, IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW - Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes at #3 second week, and I'M STONE IN LOVE WITH YOU - The Stylistics at #10 again. Along with: The Spinners first Philly single, I'LL BE AROUND at #30 in its 18th chart week.

About to exit [#32 down from #21] after 15 weeks of charting, The Fifth Dimensions last Top 10 song , IF I COULD REACH YOU, a stunning solo by Marilyn McCoo. The song was written by Randy McNeill of whom little was found except he was from Texas and this is his one big composition.

Chicago dips one notch from its last week peak of #24 with DIALOGUE, a discussion about concerns for the world vs. maintaining an optimism about the future. Hopefulness prevails as the mood of the song becomes increasingly upbeat dancable rock. The discussion takes place by lead vocal regulars Terry Kath and Peter Cetera and was written by band mate Robert Lamm who is responsible for many of the group's hits thus far.
    Chicago live from Chicago a month ago:

Full-Page Stevie Wonder LP ad reading:
    Here is my music.
    It is all I have to tell you
    how I feel.
    Know that your love
    keeps my love strong.
    -Stevie
    Includes Stevie's
    Hit Single
    "Superstition"

Those words appear on
    Stevie Wonder's newest
    album,"Talking Book:'
    They'reprinted in braille.
    So they won't be "seen"
    by anyone. But their
    meaning will be felt by
    everyone.
    Stevie Wonder.
    "Talking Book: 'A lot of
    feeling. Listen.
    Full-page ad showing the
    1957 -1970 Miracles live album cover that reads:
    RECORDED HISTORY
    On July 14, 15, and 16,
    1972, Smokey Robinson
    and The Miracles gave a
    series of live concerts at
    Washington, D.C.'s Carter
    Barron Amphitheatre.
    They marked the last time
    that Smokey would ap-
    pear on stage with The
    Miracles. Now, in a
    special two-record album,
    those farewell concerts
    have been recorded.
    It's history. Live
    Julian Coleman:

According to reviews and much appreciated correspondence with Phil Symes, Tamla Motown Press Officer, Thelma Houston's recent U.K. tour hit the measuring bar as an incredible success. What about a single release from Mowest on Thelma and, just for size, try on "What If" or "And I Never Did" from the young lady's LP entry awhile back?
    Parting line:
    Coming to Soul Sauce readers, an interview with the Jackson 5*

*never materializes

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-22-2023 at 01:41 AM.