[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A New Christmas CD from Diana?

Diana may work on a new Christmas CD. What songs would you like to hear from her? Would you like all new material, or her covering Christmas classics? Or a combo of both? I just realized she never sang the Eartha Kitt classic “Santa Baby” [[or did she?) I’d like to hear that.

Looks like many would like to see another Christmas CD but TBH not so keen myself.

I just wish she's get on with the Symphonic album - I'm beginning to doubt it will ever materialise.

As she has already been down the traditional route, i would like it to be something a little different. Perhaps rarely recorded songs such as “Purple Snowflakes” etc.
    If not that then a jazz styled holiday album. “Merry Christmas Baby” performed as a duet with Lionel Ritchie might be fun.
    In short, anything but “Frosty The Snowman”, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” type songs.

I'm sick to death of 'Santa Baby' but Diana would do a great job of it and judging from the song's endless repetition on Christmas-music radio here in the NYC area it is a very popular song. So, why not? Quite a few singers of Diana's generation have multiple Christmas albums [[Dolly, James Taylor come to mind) so, again, why not?

The list I posted in the other thread are songs that sprung to mind that she could record. Of those songs, the ones I'd love to hear her do:

O Come All Ye Faithful
    I'll Be Home For Christmas
    Christmas Just Aint Christmas
    Frosty the Snowman
    The Christmas Spell
    What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas
    Give Love On Christmas Day
    Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
    Last Christmas
    Feliz Navidad
    What Are You Doing New Year's Eve

I also thought it would be interesting to see if she can give a Christmas twist to something she's already recorded, like when she did "If We Hold On Together" for Christmas In Vienna, or covered Stevie's "Overjoyed" for Seasons Greetings.

"You Can't Hurry Santa", anyone?

Sorry, I thought of a few more:

"Come See About the Tree"
    "Christmas Hangover"
    "We're Always Saying Merry Christmas"
    "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad Gifts"
    "I Want Presents" [["Muscles")

Don't mind me. I'm glad it's Friday.

In a bit more seriousness, I think it would be interesting if she could turn these into Christmas songs: "You're Good My Child" and "What You Gave Me".

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    As she has already been down the traditional route, i would like it to be something a little different. Perhaps rarely recorded songs such as “Purple Snowflakes” etc.
    If not that then a jazz styled holiday album. “Merry Christmas Baby” performed as a duet with Lionel Ritchie might be fun.
    In short, anything but “Frosty The Snowman”, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” type songs.
    You oppose "Frosty the Snowman"? Blocked.

How about "The Children's Christmas Song" with Rhonda and Tracee and Evan?

... just remembered that Barry Manilow, too, has multiple Christmas albums. As always, fans have the ability to not purchase a title they don't want, and non-fans have the ability [[though, seldom employed ...) to ignore the title and / or the news if they are disinterested.

Also - Anne Murray, Carpenters, Kenny Rogers, Temptations, Miracles, Natalie Cole have all released multiple Christmas albums... anybody have others? I'm sure there are more.

James Brown and Elvis, too -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Also - Anne Murray, Carpenters, Kenny Rogers, Temptations, Miracles, Natalie Cole have all released multiple Christmas albums... anybody have others? I'm sure there are more.
    Gladys & The Pips.

Make it a Ross family project … many possibilities there…
    the grandkids could do a rousing rendition of Grandma Got ….

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Make it a Ross family project … many possibilities there…
    the grandkids could do a rousing rendition of Grandma Got ….
    I'm sure at Ross family Christmas gatherings the grandkids are sure to sing "Patti" or "Gladys" or "Martha", or until 2021, "Mary" got run over by a reindeer rather than "Grandma"--if they knew what was good for them!

Hee Hee after a couple of hot toddies she probably joined in.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sorry, I thought of a few more:

"Come See About the Tree"
    "Christmas Hangover"
    "We're Always Saying Merry Christmas"
    "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad Gifts"
    "I Want Presents" ["Muscles"]

Don't mind me. I'm glad it's Friday.

In a bit more seriousness, I think it would be interesting if she could turn these into Christmas songs: "You're Good My Child" and "What You Gave Me".
    Ran, here's a few more for your DR Xmas Playlist:

Getting Ready For Santa
    No One Gets A Gift
    Lovin’ Livin’ and Gettin’
    I Can’t Give Back The Gift
    Some Holiday Songs You Never Get Used To
    Nothing But Fruitcakes
    Am I Asking For Too Much
    Santa Claus Came Today
    Bah-Bah Humbug
    [Dear Santa] Everything Is Good About Me
    You Keep Me Hangin’ On [A Christmas Stocking’s Lament]

On a more mature note, I think Diana should avoid an album of overly familiar standards. She has done them already. She should feature songs that are unique in some way, in content or arrangement. In the last few years I have purchased Christmas albums by Bette Midler, Cyndi Lauper and Sharon Jones [RIP] & the Dap Kings that include some interesting music; Cool Yule, Christmas Conga and Ain't No Chimneys In The Projects, respectively. These are fun to play after my obligatory brief listens to Johnny and Andy.

I loved The Supremes 1965 Merry Christmas. Twinkle Twinkle Little Me should have been bigger and become a standard. Motown should have released a Diana Ross Christmas album in 1970 or 1971. I like her Christmas album A Very Special Season from 1994. However the Hallmark album Making Spirits Bright from the same year is subpar, imo.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 09-24-2022 at 12:27 PM.

I would only be interested if it was a Christmas album of new, original songs.

The list I posted in the other thread are songs that sprung to mind that she could record. Of those songs, the ones I'd love to hear her do:

O Come All Ye Faithful
    I'll Be Home For Christmas
    Christmas Just Aint Christmas
    Frosty the Snowman
    The Christmas Spell
    What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas
    Give Love On Christmas Day
    Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
    Last Christmas
    Feliz Navidad
    What Are You Doing New Year's Eve

I also thought it would be interesting to see if she can give a Christmas twist to something she's already recorded, like when she did "If We Hold On Together" for Christmas In Vienna, or covered Stevie's "Overjoyed" for Seasons Greetings.

"You Can't Hurry Santa", anyone?
    Yes to these, but especially Rockin Around The Christmas Tree and I’ll Be Home For Christmas, two of my favorite holiday songs ever. But I could do without Feliz Navidad. It gets on my nerves every Christmas.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-23-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Gladys & The Pips.
    Yes indeed! And both quite nice, I recall. I especially love Gladys' vocal on 'Do You Hear What I Hear'.

You oppose "Frosty the Snowman"? Blocked.
    Pass me the heat lamp sweetie. There is an original song by UK stage singer Elaine Paige titled “Father Christmas Eyes” that would really suit Diana. A jazz version of “My Favourite Things” might also be rather nice.

She recorded Santa baby ,but it's unreleased

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    She recorded Santa baby ,but it's unreleased
    I knew about the possibility of "C'est si bon," but not "Santa Baby." Where is "SB' confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Pass me the heat lamp sweetie.
    Ollie9, maybe Fats Domino will melt your heart rather than an innocent Frosty.

As an adult, I always passed over this song on any compilation. Once I heard Fats' version I was hooked.

Fats Domino

single version 1997 [faster tempo]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNX7kQOjt4

album version 1993 [slower tempo]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLiu2HnAR8

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Ollie9, maybe Fats Domino will melt your heart rather than an innocent Frosty.

As an adult, I always passed over this song on any compilation. Once I heard Fats' version I was hooked.

Fats Domino

single version 1997 [faster tempo]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNX7kQOjt4

album version 1993 [slower tempo]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLiu2HnAR8
    Thanks for posting johnjeb. I did try really hard to like it, but it just don’t float my boat.
    the Jackson Five version is for me the most bearable, being Michael sounds so sweet and innocent when singing about a snowman.
    Given Diana’s age, i think it will more about which songs she feels she can perform well, though not seeing Frosty fitting that category.
    I do love Diana Christmas recordings. I think her live in Vienna version of “Amazing Grace” surprised quite a few. Having said that, “Ave Maria” for me remains her worst recording ever.
    My favourite Christmas cd is “What Christmas Means” by r&b singer KEM.

I always thought they should have released Amazing Grace as a Christmas single in the UK.

Might have done nothing but could have gone BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I always thought they should have released Amazing Grace as a Christmas single in the UK.

Might have done nothing but could have gone BIG.
    I think the intro would have been to long for pop radio. I consider the Vienna 92 performance of the song to be her most powerful, with not a duff note or wrong lyric in sight. It’s how it found it’s way onto the cd.

Honestly, we don't need another Christmas album , do we.

I rather have another pop album

Preferentially I'm with you, David!

I’d rather have a new album of contemporary music. She had great writers and producers on her last album. I’m curious to see what magic Decca and Diana can create.

I knew about the possibility of "C'est si bon," but not "Santa Baby." Where is "SB' confirmed?
    I don't know if "Santa Baby" is confirmed, but I once saw it on a list of possible outtakes from the Christmas sessions. It's possible that the track was completed but no vocal exists. Or maybe the entire thing is missing, because I would think if it existed, it would have made its way onto the dozen Supremes Christmas album releases over the years. Although I guess it's possible that it exists but the vocal is bad, which the guys claim they would never do to the ladies. [[Although "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" begs to differ.)

Why can't we have both? And honestly, I don't want another "Thank You". I want Diana to get back to her roots. I don't want to hear her doing anything that any random singer might do.

Why can't we have both? And honestly, I don't want another "Thank You". I want Diana to get back to her roots. I don't want to hear her doing anything that any random singer might do.
    I think “Thank You” was a solid effort. Many good songs. Plus Diana herself was more involved than ever before with her contribution to the song writing. That was a great accomplishment. It was a “theme” album, so I’m sure we wouldn’t get another TY album. I was just happy that it was more dance/R&B, that’s what I prefer. I’m curious as to what you mean by getting back to her roots.

I don't know if "Santa Baby" is confirmed, but I once saw it on a list of possible outtakes from the Christmas sessions. It's possible that the track was completed but no vocal exists. Or maybe the entire thing is missing, because I would think if it existed, it would have made its way onto the dozen Supremes Christmas album releases over the years. Although I guess it's possible that it exists but the vocal is bad, which the guys claim they would never do to the ladies. [[Although "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" begs to differ.)
    Thanks, Ran. And I'll have no more "Over the Rainbow" sacrilege from you, young man; she's straining, but I like it. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I think “Thank You” was a solid effort. Many good songs. Plus Diana herself was more involved than ever before with her contribution to the song writing. That was a great accomplishment. It was a “theme” album, so I’m sure we wouldn’t get another TY album. I was just happy that it was more dance/R&B, that’s what I prefer. I’m curious as to what you mean by getting back to her roots.
    Her roots of r&b, jazz, blues. I'd like to hear something with an old school feel to it. I loved "Turn Up the Sunshine" and "If the World Just Danced", but that's not the Diana I prefer at this point in the game. I'd like a return to the stuff that made her famous in the first place. There's still magic in her voice.

Thanks for replying. That’s the Diana I like as well. I was pleasantly surprised at the R&B, Jazzy adult contemporary songs on her last album. It was a good mix. But I see what you’re saying.

Thanks, Ran. And I'll have no more "Over the Rainbow" sacrilege from you, young man; she's straining, but I like it. So there.
    Your membership in the fandom will soon come up for review. This was not the time to admit this, sir. Not the time at all.

Your membership in the fandom will soon come up for review. This was not the time to admit this, sir. Not the time at all.
    You crack me up! Have you ever caught that my screen name is an anagram?

You crack me up! Have you ever caught that my screen name is an anagram?
    I just figured it out… and that’s my mind blown. LOL

So um, I had to google what the hell you are talking about sansradio. I searched “sansradio anagram”, and the following link came up:

http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/dianar.html

Amazing

All this time I thought it was sans radio- as In, without radio. Well you learn something new every day.

You all have made my night!

You all have made my night!
    You knew my dumbass couldn't figure that out. How dare you! Oh I'm going to have so much fun with your review. So. Much. Fun.

Worst case scenario, you're kicked out of the fandom. Best case scenario, you're renamed Sensradio, which I'm sure our Marv probably always thought you should be called anyway.

You knew my dumbass couldn't figure that out. How dare you! Oh I'm going to have so much fun with your review. So. Much. Fun.

Worst case scenario, you're kicked out of the fandom. Best case scenario, you're renamed Sensradio, which I'm sure our Marv probably always thought you should be called anyway.
    BRING ITTT!!!

Oh, please. You are far from a dumbass. And dear Marv's head would have exploded had he known, rest his soul.

ETA: I just caught the "sensradio" meaning. #ROTFLMAO
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-27-2022 at 07:27 AM.

BRING ITTT!!!

Oh, please. You are far from a dumbass. And dear Marv's head would have exploded had he known, rest his soul.

ETA: I just caught the "sensradio" meaning. #ROTFLMAO
    Tee hee hee!!

All jokes aside, I might give "Rainbow" a listen and see if I change my mind at all. I once thought Diana's vocal on "The Sound of Music" was horrible, but have since majorly amended my view on that, so who knows?

We're always threading around here about our favs and what we consider the best, so I was tempted to start a post about worst vocal performances of the ladies Supremes. However, I think that topic has a good chance of getting ugly, so I decided against it.

I find 'sansradio' a most clever approach for a name choice

I'm considering changing mine now to Mr Loinsway !!!

do we need another christmas cd? i rather have all new material

We can always use another Christmas CD.

I'd rather it be Diana rather than Cardi B. Could you imagine Cardi B's Christmas Album?

"Wet A** Santa" "Santa Baby ?>@!?@>? Me" "Your Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire".

Yes David, you told us that already. And we told you yes, we do. Geez.

Guess what you're getting for Christmas?

Yes David, you told us that already. And we told you yes, we do. Geez.

Guess what you're getting for Christmas?
    Oh, oh... I know, I know...
    RanRan singing Cardi B's Christmas?!?!?!?!

A new Christmas album would be great she’s doing it for her grand children which makes sense , songs like Christmas tree song by Taylor Swift would be much welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    A new Christmas album would be great she’s doing it for her grand children.
    If that is fact, those grandkids are being far to overindulged It won’t help them a jot in later life.