[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fun thread! And the anagram is a discovery! Thank you.

Not to spoil anyones dreams...but...We know Ms Ross signed a 2 record deal with Decca. What I have distilled from various threads, the second album, after "Thank You", could be the 1986 Harol Arlen album, but if "Thank You" sold enough, Decca was investing in new material.

We also know the London Royal Symphony Orchestra is putting out a Diana Ross album, she was intended to lay down new vocals during her UK tour, but cancelled it due to her throat infection. Hence the strained performances. They could use the original vocals.

How do we know for sure if this is a third [[or fourth, depending how you count), new Christmas album? Containing Christmas songs? Or just an album with new music released around december? I don't expect this year, its almost October and needs to be in the store within a month. Motown in its glory days could pull that off, but I don't believe that it is possible in todays world.

But, new Diana music in 2023 is very much welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh, oh... I know, I know...
    RanRan singing Cardi B's Christmas?!?!?!?!
    I'd rather sing Shantell Baker's Christmas. And I mean that.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'd rather sing Shantell Baker's Christmas. And I mean that.
    I would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post

Not to spoil anyones dreams...but...We know Ms Ross signed a 2 record deal with Decca. What I have distilled from various threads, the second album, after "Thank You", could be the 1986 Harol Arlen album, but if "Thank You" sold enough, Decca was investing in new material.

We also know the London Royal Symphony Orchestra is putting out a Diana Ross album, she was intended to lay down new vocals during her UK tour, but cancelled it due to her throat infection. Hence the strained performances. They could use the original vocals.

How do we know for sure if this is a third [[or fourth, depending how you count), new Christmas album? Containing Christmas songs? Or just an album with new music released around december? I don't expect this year, its almost October and needs to be in the store within a month. Motown in its glory days could pull that off, but I don't believe that it is possible in todays world.

Sorry th burst your bubble but Decca knows nothing of any new product

It would be so much better if they use original vocals. I don't see her voice at 78 adding anything to those classic originals.
    What led you to the conclusion that the second album might be the much longed for Harold Arlen tribute album.....I’m intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    You all have made my night!
    So clever! I would never have guessed. That is awesome…

Hopefully, we will have something new in the coming years. I applaud Miss Ross for recording now. I am not sure a Christmas album would be right, maybe standards or jazz would be welcomed at her age or simply new material tailored for her.

Maniac specifically said Diana said Decca has asked for a Christmas album, so I don't think there's room to speculate on it being something else.

That being said, wouldn't the Harold Arlen album be released by RCA, since that's who she was with when she recorded it?

When has a Christmas album ever not been the right move for a singer? It's one of the safest bets for sales, especially a singer of Diana's caliber and status. If Decca has spoken to Diana about possibly recording a Christmas album, they must see potential sales. And if Diana is speaking publicly about it, then she must be fairly interested. Apparently there's nothing else on the table.

That being said, wouldn't the Harold Arlen album be released by RCA, since that's who she was with when she recorded it?
    Not if she owns the masters.

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    A new Christmas album would be great she’s doing it for her grand children which makes sense , songs like Christmas tree song by Taylor Swift would be much welcomed
    Her current record lable, Decca tell me there are no plans for a festive CD and they are not involved in any collection of re-working old hits with new orchestration

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Her current record lable, Decca tell me there are no plans for a festive CD and they are not involved in any collection of re-working old hits with new orchestration
    Why would they confirm with you before any announcement, though... [keeping hope alive]

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not if she owns the masters.
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    How about "The Children's Christmas Song" with Rhonda and Tracee and Evan?
    Oh no! Anything but that! For whatever reason, that song always sounds to me like she was recorded at gunpoint!

Why would they confirm with you before any announcement, though... [keeping hope alive]

Why would they not it was a journalists question for a Christmas issue article?

She should release the poignant “Time To Call” as a Christmas single and actually promote it. Might rekindle some interest in the album.

Why would they not it was a journalists question for a Christmas issue article?
    Wouldn’t doing so spoil any big, splashy announcement they might [hopefully] be working on?

Wouldn’t doing so spoil any big, splashy announcement they might [hopefully] be working on?
    Makes sense. Maniac said Diana claimed that Decca was interested in doing this. He did not say that anything was in the works. As Hitsville pointed out, it's nearly October. If Decca and Diana ultimately decide to do a Christmas album, surely it wouldn't be this year, so it would make sense that they wouldn't confirm or give a whiff that this is something they want this early, especially if Diana has not agreed yet, I would think.

Makes sense. Maniac said Diana claimed that Decca was interested in doing this. He did not say that anything was in the works. As Hitsville pointed out, it's nearly October. If Decca and Diana ultimately decide to do a Christmas album, surely it wouldn't be this year, so it would make sense that they wouldn't confirm or give a whiff that this is something they want this early, especially if Diana has not agreed yet, I would think.
    In the old days, Christmas albums were recorded in May/June ish time frame. I would assume that although everything is now digital/streaming/quicker, that one would still not be able to start such a project in October. But they may have already recorded and/or dredged up and remastered old stuff for release this season. Or it might be next year. Or, and more likely, there is just confusion and nothing is coming.

No as most journos work on a three month lead time they would be talking NOW about a December issue and last month for a November issue

Are you suggesting you know more than Diana? Are you suggesting she is lying? These are the questions inquiring minds want to know.

Who said it was this Christmas?

I think it 99% certain we are looking at 2023 if at all.

It’s one thing to sing new songs tailored to your current voice, it’s quite another to sing well known songs that are sung a certain way, even with auto tune set on the maximum setting .

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Are you suggesting you know more than Diana? Are you suggesting she is lying? These are the questions inquiring minds want to know.

I recall Diana saying she was working on a new album and her kids were writing songs for it.
    turned out to be one kid one song .

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I recall Diana saying she was working on a new album and her kids were writing songs for it.
    turned out to be one kid one song .
    Excellent point.

Surely your being facetious. Many songs are submitted for an album. Some are not considered. Some are recorded, but donÂ’t make it on the album. Just for CLARITY, if an album or songs are not released, are you saying that person is lying?

I’m saying her kids are apparently lousy songwriters

Ok. Sure, that’s what you were trying to say.

I’m saying her kids are apparently lousy songwriters
    LOL....Surely not.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post

No I think you are saying that Decca is lying I never mentioned Miss Ross all I did was point out the fact that the label she is currently signed to has said to a representative of the press that there is no festive CD from her to be released imminently - it's just a fact not a theory

Surely your being facetious. Many songs are submitted for an album. Some are not considered. Some are recorded, but donÂ’t make it on the album.

Well if your songs are rejected for use on your own moms homemade CD , as you are trying to say, what hope for them as songwriters is there ?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-30-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think it 99% certain we are looking at 2023 if at all.
    I think Ollie if it is on the cards at all that is the ealriest it will be - otherwise the press offcie at Decca are turning down features that would help sell a record - and despite people on here believing that they are not stupid

No one said anyone was stupid. Diana herself said they wanted to do a Christmas CD. Does she want to do one? Again, are you saying she is lying?

They may well like to do one but they are not doing one this year and nobody except yourself mentioned the word lying - I reported a simple statement from a record company
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 09-30-2022 at 02:02 PM.

What is meant by a “Festive” CD? Some clever new woke term ?

I think Ollie if it is on the cards at all that is the ealriest it will be - otherwise the press offcie at Decca are turning down features that would help sell a record - and despite people on here believing that they are not stupid
    At this late stage that does seem the most likely scenario Paul. Many thanks on the info from the record label. Always welcome.

What is meant by a “Festive” CD? Some clever new woke term ?
    Now that is actually incredibly funny, but could you please refrain and try not to stir things up even more in this thread? I feel like I’m watching an old Joan Crawford movie!

No as most journos work on a three month lead time they would be talking NOW about a December issue and last month for a November issue
    Yeah, sounds to me like this year is certainly a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Now that is actually incredibly funny, but could you please refrain and try not to stir things up even more in this thread? I feel like I’m watching an old Joan Crawford movie!
    ....Don't F*** with me Fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.....

....Don't F*** with me Fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.....
    Thank you! We needed to lighten the mood around here!

yes no more wire hangers EVER !

so .... what the heck is a "festive" CD ....

2. adjective [ADJ n] Festive means relating to a holiday or celebration, especially Christmas.
    I like it. Learned something!

I like it. Learned something!
    Life is a learning curve for each and everyone one of us.
    [[Ollie's words of wisdom)

Life is a learning curve for each and everyone one of us.
    [[Ollie's words of wisdom)
    Sounds like a lyric Rhonda Ross might write for her mom's next album. If it appears, hope you get a songwriting credit on Thank You Again.

Maybe they've given Diana a 2 album contract but otherwise I can't see Decca being enthusiastic about a new album for her.

I thought in the circumstances Thank You was a pretty solid album with several very good tracks on it but let's be honest - even in these days of lower sales it was pretty much a disaster in this department.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Maybe they've given Diana a 2 album contract but otherwise I can't see Decca being enthusiastic about a new album for her.

I thought in the circumstances Thank You was a pretty solid album with several very good tracks on it but let's be honest - even in these days of lower sales it was pretty much a disaster in this department.
    Lack of any tv promotion didn't help. I guess Diana was just playing safe.
    A duets album involving current artists would be a far more commercial proposition as opposed to yet another Christmas set that not many would buy.

Lack of any tv promotion didn't help. I guess Diana was just playing safe.
    A duets album involving current artists would be a far more commercial proposition as opposed to yet another Christmas set that not many would buy.
    The duets project is a good idea - you know - nobody knows the deal she has with Decca - sometimes the label who work a great deal with what the UK calls 'heritage artists' will only sign for a one album deal to see how it goes so she could be free to go anywhere she likes with a project -her contact may also allow her to do other projects like the Hallmark CD she did - so we just don't know what's in the offing. If she has said she is doing one maybe it's with another label.

i think a duets cd would also be good
    artists like lionel richie,smokey and others
    but to clarify. i did see a video on FB where diana was in her Q@A part of her show
    someone asked a question and she responded Decca called and asked for another album

She did not say a Christmas album. I saw a clip and she said Decca wanted a new album preferably by Christmas. But I really can’t see that happening in such a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    She did not say a Christmas album. I saw a clip and she said Decca wanted a new album preferably by Christmas. But I really can’t see that happening in such a short period of time.
    Unless she hands over the Harold Arlen album over to Decca. Or a Symphonica album with her original vocals meets the demand unless she goes into the studio now that tour/residency is over to lay down vocals for the Symphonica album.