[REMOVE ADS]

Diana: 66 years Las Vegas headliner, never better

What happened last night at the Wynn in Las Vegas was magical. Yes it was a great concert and yes everyone had a great time, but she has evolved to an entity I don’t have the skills to describe. She’s concentrating so hard on putting on a good show, and yet she stays casual about doing that more then she has ever ever been. She poses for pictures she poses for videos she signs things, and she’s on stage for an hour and 45 minutes…. who is this woman?
    during the question and answer., Someone requested good morning heartache. That person was up in the balcony and Diana could not hear what she wanted so she asked her to come downstairs and waited for her to come downstairs and when she got down to the main floor she walked down to the stage and said that she loved good morning heartache, so Diana sang it for her. Killing it like never before. Then someone else said that he wished that she would sing home sometime, so she said she would do a little snip of it but she got so into it and finished the song and it was brilliant . I know I’ve never heard hone anywhere near that good. She was really feeling it you could tell when it came time for where she had planned to stop, she had no intention of leaving it that way.

all those things would be wonderful, and would be more than enough, but there’s more. She sounded fantastic, she was ebullient, she looked half the age of the average person, she seem to be floating on a cloud of happiness and took the audience with her. It was a love in. And, just to prove she really is Diana Ross and that she has not been taken over by some pod people, she stopped don’t explain in the middle of the song and chastised a woman for recording the entire show. She was stern. After she got the words out, her anger subsided and she was right back in the mood she was prior to that. Took a few seconds realize that she was going to have a hard time getting back into the groove that she was in before stopping, so she started it all over again and nailed it beyond imagination.

she did basically the same list Setlist she has been doing, added some snippets from other songs from the album but still did the three she’s been doing in their entirety. You could hear everyone after the concert people in their 20s or 30s or 40s or 90s talking about what a fantastic evening that was several times we heard the word magic. That’s not some thing we usually hear when we’re leaving a show. If Friday night is anything like this, I’m going to petition my long-suffering partner to stay another week. This is not to be missed if you are a fan. She only had one horn player, one keyboardist, in the end none of the wonderful backdrop of the previous shows. They would’ve been wonderful to have, but we wound up with a whole lot better than anyone could have possibly expected.

she said she will never retire, she loves what she’s doing, and they will have to pull her off the stage. Of course it would be impossible for her to convince anybody she wasn’t loving what she was doing. This is not work for her. And DECCA has asked her for Christmas album. She didn’t say if it would be this year or next.

whatever Berry Gordy saw in her at their audition has blossomed into an incredible performer who communicates like nothing I’ve ever seen.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 09-22-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Great review! I hope she records some of these shows. She is long overdue for a concert dvd.

Can you explain what 66 years Las Vegas headliner means?

Excited to hear about a Christmas album!

Ah, I smell a plant! Waiting for her to come down from the balcony? Had to be staged.

A great review Maniac! Sounds like the lady is back on brand, and I'm so glad to hear she isn't thinking about retiring. In the back of my mind I feared she might be gearing up for some kind of farewell. I can rest easy.

So...what are the chances that Diana grants my "A Breath Taking Guy" request if I come and yell it out?

Oh yeah, the Christmas album would be great if it happens!

Do we really need another Christmas album from Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Yes. Yes we do.

Ok. If that’s what you want, lol. I have the 2 from the 90’s, and also the repackaged one from a few years ago that was a combo of both. These are great by the way. What could she possibly sing this time? A solo version of the Supremes classic “Children’s Christmas song” but this time with her grandkids singing along?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Can you explain what 66 years Las Vegas headliner means?

Excited to hear about a Christmas album!
    Maybe they meant 56, as it has been that many years since the Supremes' first Vegas stint.

Or that they first headlined there in '66.

You are right, it is 56! I know that, I’m approaching the prime of my senility, so keep an eye out for when I write!

I want her to do Grown-Up Christmas List on the Christmas Album

I think if you were there you wouldn’t think it was a plant. It was too awkward at first trying to hear what she had to say. As far as a Breathtaking guy? I think she would do it, at least a little bit of it that she could do. I think she would’ve done buttered popcorn last night if anyone asked. And she likes breathtaking guy so I think she would be happy if you requested it. I came real close to requesting surrender, but I knew she couldn’t do it so…… But I really believe that you have an excellent chance of getting some breathtaking guy.
    I know I said it already but it bears repeating, if you are a fan, you need to see her at this level.

Great review and for you, MM, a magical memory. You've encapsulated the 'certain something' that Diana is currently radiating. Best to you!

I hate that I missed her this time at Radio City Music Hall. I use to never miss those shows. Nothing like the energy from both Diana and her NYC audience.

Too bad Miss Ross didn't catch the woman sitting next to me at Radio City Music Hall playing videos on her phone with the sound way up while Diana was performing Don't Explain. That woman deserved a good Miss Ross style scolding. Oh well, I did my best Miss Ross after the song was over and the woman next to me behaved for the rest of the show.

Has "Home" been requested by someone in the audience at every show on this tour so far?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    What happened last night at the Wynn in Las Vegas was magical. Yes it was a great concert and yes everyone had a great time, but she has evolved to an entity I don’t have the skills to describe. She’s concentrating so hard on putting on a good show, and yet she stays casual about doing that more then she has ever ever been. She poses for pictures she poses for videos she signs things, and she’s on stage for an hour and 45 minutes…. who is this woman?
    during the question and answer., Someone requested good morning heartache. That person was up in the balcony and Diana could not hear what she wanted so she asked her to come downstairs and waited for her to come downstairs and when she got down to the main floor she walked down to the stage and said that she loved good morning heartache, so Diana sang it for her. Killing it like never before. Then someone else said that he wished that she would sing home sometime, so she said she would do a little snip of it but she got so into it and finished the song and it was brilliant . I know I’ve never heard hone anywhere near that good. She was really feeling it you could tell when it came time for where she had planned to stop, she had no intention of leaving it that way.

all those things would be wonderful, and would be more than enough, but there’s more. She sounded fantastic, she was ebullient, she looked half the age of the average person, she seem to be floating on a cloud of happiness and took the audience with her. It was a love in. And, just to prove she really is Diana Ross and that she has not been taken over by some pod people, she stopped don’t explain in the middle of the song and chastised a woman for recording the entire show. She was stern. After she got the words out, her anger subsided and she was right back in the mood she was prior to that. Took a few seconds realize that she was going to have a hard time getting back into the groove that she was in before stopping, so she started it all over again and nailed it beyond imagination.

she did basically the same list Setlist she has been doing, added some snippets from other songs from the album but still did the three she’s been doing in their entirety. You could hear everyone after the concert people in their 20s or 30s or 40s or 90s talking about what a fantastic evening that was several times we heard the word magic. That’s not some thing we usually hear when we’re leaving a show. If Friday night is anything like this, I’m going to petition my long-suffering partner to stay another week. This is not to be missed if you are a fan. She only had one horn player, one keyboardist, in the end none of the wonderful backdrop of the previous shows. They would’ve been wonderful to have, but we wound up with a whole lot better than anyone could have possibly expected.

she said she will never retire, she loves what she’s doing, and they will have to pull her off the stage. Of course it would be impossible for her to convince anybody she wasn’t loving what she was doing. This is not work for her. And DECCA has asked her for Christmas album. She didn’t say if it would be this year or next.

whatever Berry Gordy saw in her at their audition has blossomed into an incredible performer who communicates like nothing I’ve ever seen.
    wonderful caption maniac. If the audience leaves happy, that says it all, really what more is there ?

out of curiosity did Rhonda and Diana give it another round at trying to
    pull off a proper rendition of COUNT ON ME or has that notion been laid to rest?

I do, absolutely. I think it's a shame that we only have two [[plus the one with the Supremes). My fingers are crossed that this becomes a reality.

Ok. If that’s what you want, lol. I have the 2 from the 90’s, and also the repackaged one from a few years ago that was a combo of both. These are great by the way. What could she possibly sing this time? A solo version of the Supremes classic “Children’s Christmas song” but this time with her grandkids singing along?
    I'm guessing you're not much of a Christmas music fan? Lol There are tons of Christmas songs out there. Off the top of my head, songs that I don't think she's recorded yet:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing
    O Come All Ye Faithful
    Christmas Baby Please Come Home
    Christmas Everyday
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    I'll Be Home For Christmas
    Christmas Just Aint Christmas
    Frosty the Snowman
    The Christmas Spell
    What Christmas Means To Me
    What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas
    Give Love On Christmas Day
    Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
    Last Christmas
    O Christmas Tree
    Feliz Navidad
    Blue Christmas
    Auld Lang Syne
    What Are You Doing New Year's Eve

And it would be interesting to see if she can give a Christmas twist to something she's already recorded, in addition to original Christmas compositions. I think a holiday album would be right up her alley right about now.

Hey Ran thanks for your reply. I’m guilty of the one thing that drives me crazy on theses online forums, I derailed it. The original post was so well thought out and written. Out of respect to TheMotownManiac, I think we should stay on topic. I’m going to start another thread for a possible new Christmas CD, and since your reply was also well thought out, would you mind posting it again?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Ah, I smell a plant! Waiting for her to come down from the balcony? Had to be staged.

So...what are the chances that Diana grants my "A Breath Taking Guy" request if I come and yell it out?
    Significantly better then if you requested “Bah-Bah-Bah.

Someone should request Turn Me Over at one of her shows.

Hey Ran thanks for your reply. I’m guilty of the one thing that drives me crazy on theses online forums, I derailed it. The original post was so well thought out and written. Out of respect to TheMotownManiac, I think we should stay on topic. I’m going to start another thread for a possible new Christmas CD, and since your reply was also well thought out, would you mind posting it again?
    Since when do we start respecting Maniac around here?

No problem Khan, I'll repost in your new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Significantly better then if you requested “Bah-Bah-Bah.
    Perhaps, but I imagine the chances are much greater for "Up the Ladder" than either "Breath" or "Bah".

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'd love to see her reaction to someone yelling out "Sleepin". Lol [[Although I have to admit I would love to hear her do it.)

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Maybe they meant 56, as it has been that many years since the Supremes' first Vegas stint.

Or that they first headlined there in '66.
    Thank you, lol. I couldn't make the connection.

No one ever asks for Someday We’ll Be Together?

if she does a Christmas cd, I pray she hires the best producer out there. Otherwise we could get Evan producing, Rhonda writing, Tracee doing the photo shoot, and Chutney being executive producer. Ross can quickly learn the keyboard and be the keyboardist. The granddaughter could again lend her vocals. did I leave anyone out?

In Motown’s heyday, they only hired the best.

I hate that I missed her this time at Radio City Music Hall. I use to never miss those shows. Nothing like the energy from both Diana and her NYC audience.
    Weelll ... I hate to be 'that guy', but ... I'm sorry, too, that you missed RCMH! It's my favorite place to see Diana and what with the new backdrops, new material, new costumes, Tracee and Rhonda, it truly was a spectacular performance! The audience excitement was at its peak. It was fun for me to have a middle-age lady from the Midwest to my left who had never seen Diana live before and timed a family visit to see the show [she whopped, cheered and danced through the entire show) and a late 20-something couple to my right who were locals but also had never seen Diana live before; their reaction was much the same, just add in a "She's incredible" or "She's fantastic" every song or two. At least you have YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

if she does a Christmas cd, I pray she hires the best producer out there. Otherwise we could get Evan producing, Rhonda writing, Tracee doing the photo shoot, and Chutney being executive producer. Ross can quickly learn the keyboard and be the keyboardist. The granddaughter could again lend her vocals. did I leave anyone out?

You left out her daughter in law Ashlee Simpson, who once had a recording career. Producer Evan could lay some heavy autotune on Ashlee's voice for a positive uplifting original Christmas song duet between Diana and Ashlee singing about the joys of a robot enjoying their first Christmas. The Toy Stories films could be an inspiration for such a song.

Where I was sitting at Radio City Music Hall, some were really into the whole show, but others, most obnoxiously the woman next to me, were only into the hits. Some were checking their phones during the Don't Explain/Thank You album portion of the show, and only paid attention [[so they could film) when Tracee joined her mother and sister on stage to sing Count On Me. Guys behind me were getting drunk and had loud discussions on whose turn it was to get another round of drinks. A number of people in my area headed for the exits after Ain't No Mountain High Enough and during the performance of I Will Survive [[I presume to beat the crowd to get a ride or a seat on the subway, and/or had to be at work the next morning).

For those at the Vegas shows, how are the audiences? No doubt those close to the stage in the more expensive seats are more likely to be into the whole experience as they may be die hard fans like Peace and Harmony, or have to justify the expense. But what about further back? More casual fans out for a night out to hear the hits may not be as enraptured as the die hard fans.

The video screen footage was hit and miss. Worked best when showing the crowd, especially on Reach Out and Touch. That was great. But the stock footage was either computer animated flowers and hearts and the like [[I suspect Evan did that), a loop of Ross in the Why Do Fools Fall in Love video, footage from the Take Me Higher album cover/promotional shoot, a picture of Ross' star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, photo montages of Diana Ross and some art work related to the Thank You album.

A shame they didn't show videos/footage that fans sent of them dancing to If the World just Danced as that would have made for a fun addition to the performance/staging of that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

You forgot the grandson that walks on water.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    wonderful caption maniac. If the audience leaves happy, that says it all, really what more is there ?

out of curiosity did Rhonda and Diana give it another round at trying to
    pull off a proper rendition of COUNT ON ME or has that notion been laid to rest?
    Rhonda, mercifully, took the night off. The whole night belong to her mother and I think you just had to be there. When she went off for a change came back to do don’t explain she started speaking into the microphone stand because the microphone was not there, she had forgotten it backstage and had to go back to get it which she thought was funny. A few minutes later she snarled at that woman for filming the show, and within 15 seconds she was over it. I don’t know how long it took her to get angry, she used to have a pretty quick temper from what I had seen, but boy did she burn through a quickly! You could see the change in her face it was quite remarkable. I’ve been a fan forever, but part of what I’ve always loved about her and thrive Don is her tension, it isn’t there anymore. She is as casual as if she were sipping guava nectar on a tropical island beach somewhere. I can’t remember who but a fan asked her a question and referred to her as Miss Ross and she said don’t call me that - you can call me Diana.

Too bad Miss Ross didn't catch the woman sitting next to me at Radio City Music Hall playing videos on her phone with the sound way up while Diana was performing Don't Explain. That woman deserved a good Miss Ross style scolding. Oh well, I did my best Miss Ross after the song was over and the woman next to me behaved for the rest of the show.

Has "Home" been requested by someone in the audience at every show on this tour so far?
    it might have been, I don’t know…… But she doesn’t do it every night. People have been requesting it fairly often since she did it at Kennedy Center.

I was waiting for that, it’s been several months since you last mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'd love to see her reaction to someone yelling out "Sleepin". Lol [[Although I have to admit I would love to hear her do it.)
    I have heard a recording of her doing sleeping live and, to my surprise, it was incredible. I can’t describe, I can’t think of the words to describe call her vocal it was like it was more emotional but I don’t think that really describes it. Raw, maybe. But I do know I was surprised that I liked it a lot better than the record. May be in the same way that I thought that we were still in love, on a good night, could render an audience speechless. And I agree with you I would love to hear her do it now.

A few minutes later she snarled at that woman for filming the show, and within 15 seconds she was over it. I don’t know how long it took her to get angry, she used to have a pretty quick temper from what I had seen, but boy did she burn through a quickly! You could see the change in her face it was quite remarkable. I’ve been a fan forever, but part of what I’ve always loved about her and thrive Don is her tension, it isn’t there anymore.
    I wonder if the woman remains a fan, or has since destroyed her entire Diana Ross cd/dvd collection.

Where I was sitting at Radio City Music Hall, some were really into the whole show, but others, most obnoxiously the woman next to me, were only into the hits. Some were checking their phones during the Don't Explain/Thank You album portion of the show, and only paid attention [[so they could film) when Tracee joined her mother and sister on stage to sing Count On Me. Guys behind me were getting drunk and had loud discussions on whose turn it was to get another round of drinks. A number of people in my area headed for the exits after Ain't No Mountain High Enough and during the performance of I Will Survive [[I presume to beat the crowd to get a ride or a seat on the subway, and/or had to be at work the next morning).

For those at the Vegas shows, how are the audiences? No doubt those close to the stage in the more expensive seats are more likely to be into the whole experience as they may be die hard fans like Peace and Harmony, or have to justify the expense. But what about further back? More casual fans out for a night out to hear the hits may not be as enraptured as the die hard fans..
    Devoted fans aside, Diana generally doesn't appear to command the same respect as a Barbra Streisand. When I saw Bab’s in Hyde Park a few years back, there was a hush as the audience relished every song that was performed. And that was in a park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Devoted fans aside, Diana generally doesn't appear to command the same respect as a Barbra Streisand. When I saw Bab’s in Hyde Park a few years back, there was a hush as the audience relished every song that was performed. And that was in a park.
    Interesting, before the Radio City Music Hall show kicked off, I was chatting with someone in the audience and she mentioned seeing Streisand a few years ago and thought it was one of the worst concerts she ever attended as Streisand spent much of the show making political speeches rather than singing, and the woman told me she agrees with Streisand's politics, but she came to the show to hear her sing, not give speeches.

Rhonda, mercifully, took the night off. The whole night belong to her mother and I think you just had to be there. When she went off for a change came back to do don’t explain she started speaking into the microphone stand because the microphone was not there, she had forgotten it backstage and had to go back to get it which she thought was funny. A few minutes later she snarled at that woman for filming the show, and within 15 seconds she was over it. I don’t know how long it took her to get angry, she used to have a pretty quick temper from what I had seen, but boy did she burn through a quickly! You could see the change in her face it was quite remarkable. I’ve been a fan forever, but part of what I’ve always loved about her and thrive Don is her tension, it isn’t there anymore. She is as casual as if she were sipping guava nectar on a tropical island beach somewhere. I can’t remember who but a fan asked her a question and referred to her as Miss Ross and she said don’t call me that - you can call me Diana.
    Fantastic. The pressure is off. The COVID break did her a world of good. She HAD to take a break and now that she experienced that, she’s back only because she wants to.
    She appears to be more at peace with nothing pressing to prove.

now if she’d do a surprise duet with Bon Jovi she’d be on her way to complete redemption.

Interesting, before the Radio City Music Hall show kicked off, I was chatting with someone in the audience and she mentioned seeing Streisand a few years ago and thought it was one of the worst concerts she ever attended as Streisand spent much of the show making political speeches rather than singing, and the woman told me she agrees with Streisand's politics, but she came to the show to hear her sing, not give speeches.
    Perhaps it was a political rally and not a real concert at all. I saw her twice at the O2 Arena in London, not to mention Hyde Park where she performed a host of new songs, stopping only to give a back story to each one.
    The point being raised was one of respect, and i still consider Streisand to be afforded more in general by peeps who might not be diehard fans, but like some of her songs and the sound of her voice.

I heard she finally ditched “I will survive” at this concert.