[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Alternate Album Titles

Are there albums you would have titled differently, and if so, what would be the change?

Two of mine would be More Hits and We Remember Sam Cooke. I would have probably changed More Hits to Stop In the Name of Love. I like A Tribute To Sam Cooke better than We Remember. Or better yet, You Send Me: A Tribute To Sam Cooke.

What song titles do you think would have made great album titles for albums like A Go Go, Sing HDH, Sing R&H, etc?

I really like your idea of More Hits becoming Stop In The Name Of Love, plus You Send Me - A Tribute To Sam Cooke. More Hits in particular being a rather dull title.
    I personally think all other Supreme album titles pretty much fine as they were. Possibly “Bah Bah Bah for Reflections, but then i have always had a soft spot for sheep.
    Diana Ross solo albums on the other hand being an entirely different thing.

Stop in the Name of Love with the ladies in their iconic stop pose as the album cover would have made for a dramatic and suitable album title and cover.

Of course, given discussion on Best albums thread, The Supreme Supremes would have been fitting given Temptin' Temptations and Marvelous Marvelettes albums.

New Ways but Love Stays ought to have been called "New Ways but Mary Stays"--that would have been a very accurate title.

Supremes 75 could have been titled "Where do We go from here"--that too would have been a very accurate title given the state of the group at the time.

Would the "Stop" title have been too dated? The single was released in February; the LP in July. By then, BIMAA and NBH had been released. Maybe titling it "Nothing But Heartaches" could have pushed the single top 10.

I always thought that the titles RIGHT ON and NEW WAYS should have been switched. NWBLS: Diana leaving/Jean joining.....but we're still the Supremes! RIGHT ON: let's celebrate our successful re-debut.

The Supremes Sing HDH is also questionable: did the general public know what an HDH was? Maybe "There's No Stopping Us Now" would have been a more suitable title.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The Supremes Sing HDH is also questionable: did the general public know what an HDH was? Maybe "There's No Stopping Us Now" would have been a more suitable title.
    Of all the songs on the HDH album, THERE'S NO STOPPING US NOW is the only one, IMO, that would work for an album title.

I thought More Hits was a great title since that was the lp was.

I think Right On should have been named New Ways But Love Stays, and New Ways should have been Stoned Love.

Touch might have done better if named Third Album or even Nathan Jones which was a hit

Jimmy Webb should have stayed as Beyond Myself or something like A Softer Side of The Supremes

Supremes 75 should have been It's All Been Said Before or Mary, Scherrie and Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really like your idea of More Hits becoming Stop In The Name Of Love, plus You Send Me - A Tribute To Sam Cooke. More Hits in particular being a rather dull title.
    I personally think all other Supreme album titles pretty much fine as they were. Possibly “Bah Bah Bah for Reflections, but then i have always had a soft spot for sheep.
    Diana Ross solo albums on the other hand being an entirely different thing.
    Ollie you have to sit aside your personal feelings about things like sheep when considering song titles. The Bah Bah Bah album. It either wouldn't have moved a single copy because everyone would be afraid that the Supremes had jumped the shark, or it would have flown off the shelves because a title that ridiculous has to be a great album. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Stop in the Name of Love with the ladies in their iconic stop pose as the album cover would have made for a dramatic and suitable album title and cover.

Of course, given discussion on Best albums thread, The Supreme Supremes would have been fitting given Temptin' Temptations and Marvelous Marvelettes albums.

New Ways but Love Stays ought to have been called "New Ways but Mary Stays"--that would have been a very accurate title.

Supremes 75 could have been titled "Where do We go from here"--that too would have been a very accurate title given the state of the group at the time.
    I love the idea of The Supreme Supremes, perhaps for the Symphony album.

"Where Do We Go From Here" is a good title, but I'm not sure starting the Scherrie years off with an album of a song that suggests these ladies still have no idea what to do with themselves, is the right way to go.

I like "Can't Stop A Girl In Love" for Supremes 75, myself.

Would the "Stop" title have been too dated? The single was released in February; the LP in July. By then, BIMAA and NBH had been released. Maybe titling it "Nothing But Heartaches" could have pushed the single top 10.

I always thought that the titles RIGHT ON and NEW WAYS should have been switched. NWBLS: Diana leaving/Jean joining.....but we're still the Supremes! RIGHT ON: let's celebrate our successful re-debut.
    Good point about the "Stop" title, though I figure with it being such a big hit, probably an instant iconic classic, the time frame wouldn't matter as much. But it might.

I agree about switching New Ways and Right On. I also think "New Ways But Love Stays" is a great song title and wish that it had been something the group recorded. Of course "Right On" sounds like it could've been a nice piece of funky Supremes soul as a song also.

We Can Try Again might have been good for RO also, speaking to the group trying something new with Jean.

That would have been great for Sing HDH.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Of all the songs on the HDH album, THERE'S NO STOPPING US NOW is the only one, IMO, that would work for an album title.
    I think for the most part, hit songs always make some kind of sense as a title cut, so I could definitely see the set being titled You Keep Me Hangin On, or simply Hangin On. Or Love Is Here and Now You're Gone, or simply Love Is Here.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I thought More Hits was a great title since that was the lp was.

I think Right On should have been named New Ways But Love Stays, and New Ways should have been Stoned Love.

Touch might have done better if named Third Album or even Nathan Jones which was a hit

Jimmy Webb should have stayed as Beyond Myself or something like A Softer Side of The Supremes

Supremes 75 should have been It's All Been Said Before or Mary, Scherrie and Cindy.
    Yeah, I wonder how much using Jimmy's name caused people to turn off from the album. I have to suspect that it may have done a bit better with a title like A Softer Side of the Supremes.

I love Touch as the album title, but if I were going to choose something else, it would probably be Here Comes the Sunrise.

I think A GoGo being You Can't Hurry Love would have fit the album.

Let the Sunshine In as Let the Music Play or Discover Me.

Cream of the Crop should have been Someday We'll Be Together.

Merry Christmas was always such a generic title to me. I would've called the album My Favorite Things.

I wonder what the thought process was in choosing a title for an LP versus choosing a title track?

You've got WDOLG, Symphony, Reflections, and LC, which all highlight the hit included.

But then you've got others like A Go Go, HDH, and Cream of the Crop.

I'd be interested to know if one style of title fared better on the charts.

For the Webb album, how about "When Can Brown Begin"; The Supremes produced and arranged by Jimmy Webb.

Interesting discussion.

I think SITNOL might have worked if, like WDOLG, the album had been released earlier, when Back In My Arms Again was climbing the charts. I wasn’t a teen yet in 1965 so when Nothing But Heartaches was released, Stop! seemed almost like an oldie. But I don’t know if the album had been completed by April or May 1965.

”More Hits” does sound like a “Greatest Hits Volume 2” compilation, but Motown was emphasizing the group’s hitmaking success.

I like and agree with:

There’s No Stopping Us Now [for Sing HDH]
    New Ways, Love Stays [for RO]
    Stoned Love [for NWBLS]

How about:

Bring It On Home: Tribute to Sam Cooke
    Falling In Love With Love: Rodgers & Hart Today
    Time And Love [for Touch] Just kidding!

Perhaps A Go-Go could have been called Itching!

By Motown UK renaming Sing HDH to Sing Motown, it shows that not many would have realised what HDH meant.

I like the idea of More Hits being called Stop! Especially with the suggested picture of the Supremes in the iconic stop pose.

I wonder what the thought process was in choosing a title for an LP versus choosing a title track?

You've got WDOLG, Symphony, Reflections, and LC, which all highlight the hit included.

But then you've got others like A Go Go, HDH, and Cream of the Crop.

I'd be interested to know if one style of title fared better on the charts.
    Great questions. Would love insight if anyone has it.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Interesting discussion.

I think SITNOL might have worked if, like WDOLG, the album had been released earlier, when Back In My Arms Again was climbing the charts. I wasn’t a teen yet in 1965 so when Nothing But Heartaches was released, Stop! seemed almost like an oldie. But I don’t know if the album had been completed by April or May 1965.

”More Hits” does sound like a “Greatest Hits Volume 2” compilation, but Motown was emphasizing the group’s hitmaking success.

I like and agree with:

There’s No Stopping Us Now [for Sing HDH]
    New Ways, Love Stays [for RO]
    Stoned Love [for NWBLS]

How about:

Bring It On Home: Tribute to Sam Cooke
    Falling In Love With Love: Rodgers & Hart Today
    Time And Love [for Touch] Just kidding!
    Bring It On Home and Falling In Love With Love are both great alternatives.

Supposedly the Touch album tells some kind of love story. Judging from the tracks, falling in and out of love is the theme. So how about instead of Touch, Happy Is A Bumpy Road?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Are there albums you would have titled differently, and if so, what would be the change?

Two of mine would be More Hits and We Remember Sam Cooke. I would have probably changed More Hits to Stop In the Name of Love. I like A Tribute To Sam Cooke better than We Remember. Or better yet, You Send Me: A Tribute To Sam Cooke.

What song titles do you think would have made great album titles for albums like A Go Go, Sing HDH, Sing R&H, etc?
    Not song titles, but more realistic titles...

A Go Go -> A Went Went
    Where Did Our Love Go -> Why'd you run away, you fool
    More Hits By -> Buy this or we'll Hit you
    Sing HDH -> Who else would we sing?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Not song titles, but more realistic titles...

A Go Go -> A Went Went
    Where Did Our Love Go -> Why'd you run away, you fool
    More Hits By -> Buy this or we'll Hit you
    Sing HDH -> Who else would we sing?
    LOL!

Love Child > Bastard!
    Cream of the Crop > Bottom of the Barrel

LOL!

Love Child > Bastard!
    Cream of the Crop > Bottom of the Barrel
    Right On! -> Bye, Felicia

Y'all so silly, but I love it!!

Meet the Supremes...Goodbye the Supremes
    Let the Sunshine In...Close the Curtains
    Right On...Left Off
    Mary, Scherrie, and Susaye...Kaaren, Pearlie and Shantell

More Hits By the Supremes...They're At It Again

Reflections...What's Your Name Again?
    I Hear A Symphony...Where's That Music Coming From?

New Ways but Love Stays > Mary ain't ready to leave yet.

Webb > Dandelions don't last forever

I HEAR A SYMPHONY> Anybody Got A Kazoo?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post

I loved the more hits title. When it came out, pop groups, and I mean the successful ones, had a successful run and then kind of see-sawed for a while before you didn’t hear about them anymore. The Beach Boys and The Four Seasons are examples. I fell so hard for DMF that I was thrilled they had five huge hits in a row. However I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. So when this album came out, it was kind of triumphant and, app apropos.

I agree with you about Sam Cooke. My title would be “You Send Me” in large type across the top and spaced underneath it in smaller types so that it would fit in one line, “We Remember Sam Cooke”

i’ve always hated the title of HDH. I understand why they did it, but talk about an album titled it’s not going to help sales, this is the worst title I’ve ever heard. I probably would’ve called it you keep me hanging on, but I love who’s ever idea it was for there’s no stopping us now.

I also hated the title cream of the crop. It had nothing to do with anything and it was so bougie why win the Supremes needed more hip title. I think I would’ve called it, “someday we’ll be together: our final album” I think it would’ve doubled sales.

I also hated the title of the magnificent seven for the same reason. It couldn’t possibly have been more out of touch with the record buying audience. I think I would’ve called it River deep Mountain high. That would necessitate a new title for the second album, however.

I don’t like the touch title because I never liked that song from the time I heard it, and I couldn’t imagine them releasing it as a single so I would’ve called it Nathan Jones without question.

I hated Mary Scherrie Susaye because it reinforced to the casual fan they had no idea who this group was anymore with names they didn’t recognize - a Very bad idea.

I also don’t like everything is everything, even though the title itself was acceptable, that title with that cover it was not.

Let the sunshine in.omg who titles an album after another groups hit record

i agree with the comments here about RO and NWBLS. both are fitting for the debut Jean album. i think "Right On" was a bit more contemporary of a phrase though. and frankly i think they could have done more graphically with the word than the tiny print we got on the released version. true - with the new lineup you really wanted to emphasize the group pic. but building up the title itself more would have been great.

regardless of which title was used for the debut, the second album absolutely should have been titled Stone Love.

High Energy is a great title however i don't know that it really captures the music inside. half of the songs are lush ballads which "high energy" doesn't really fit with.

many of the suggestions here seem to revolve around the albums that didn't use a hit single as the lp title. Overall I'm fine that they opted to sometimes not use a hit single as the title but agree sometimes it was more effective than others.

Sing HDH - IMO this was done to placate the guys. my guess is there was already some rumbling about increased compensation. so this title was used to give national publicity to the production and writing team

A Go Go - i think this is just a perfect title. it's so timely. perfectly fits the dance music on the album. and the graphics and images on the cover are an excellent visual representation of the title.

Cream of the Crop - i think this is a perfectly fine title in general. is it fitting for the last DRATS album? maybe not. perhaps merge this and Farewell into 1 2-disc set. a mix of studio and live. You could have easily trimmed the live set down to 1 disc and then used some of the COTC tunes. perhaps replacing some of the weaker tunes with different vault tracks. use the combined as a real tribute to the group

MS&S - i think is a great title

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Let the sunshine in.omg who titles an album after another groups hit record

excellent point!!

and CREAM OF THE CROP to me suggests a Greatest Hits compilation.

Sing HDH is a great title. First it fits into the Motown branding as The Temptations had released an album Temptations Sing Smokey. Motown was adding a new chapter to the Great American Songbook with the enduring songs and hits they were releasing. It's a great statement of African American pride and ambition. That their songwriters are in the same league as white Great American songbook songwriter greats such as Rodgers and Hart, Cole Porter, the Gershwins, etc. I suppose those who place a supreme value on commercial appeal over anything else may object to Sing HDH as they weren't star performers in their own right like Smokey Robinson. And I suppose white people not comfortable with African American ambition and wanting Blacks to slow down would object to the album title as they feel HDH did not "deserve" to be billed in the same fashion as the white Great American Songbook composers. Which is why the album title "Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland" was important and necessary--for Motown as a company, for HDH and their great contributions to the classic Motown sound, and to the revolution and changes going in the popular culture and in America and the world, both white and Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Sing HDH is a great title. First it fits into the Motown branding as The Temptations had released an album Temptations Sing Smokey. Motown was adding a new chapter to the Great American Songbook with the enduring songs and hits they were releasing. It's a great statement of African American pride and ambition. That their songwriters are in the same league as white Great American songbook songwriter greats such as Rodgers and Hart, Cole Porter, the Gershwins, etc. I suppose those who place a supreme value on commercial appeal over anything else may object to Sing HDH as they weren't star performers in their own right like Smokey Robinson. And I suppose white people not comfortable with African American ambition and wanting Blacks to slow down would object to the album title as they feel HDH did not "deserve" to be billed in the same fashion as the white Great American Songbook composers. Which is why the album title "Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland" was important and necessary--for Motown as a company, for HDH and their great contributions to the classic Motown sound, and to the revolution and changes going in the popular culture and in America and the world, both white and Black.
    I agree. Much as I like There’s No Stopping Us Now for an album title, The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland is the best title. HDH deserved the honor and recognition, as much or more than any others at Motown [other than Berry Gordy]. IMO, they were most responsible for the success of The Motown Sound, The Supremes and The Four Tops. It may be true, but a bit cynical, that Motown just wanted to placate them. We didn’t know in early 1967 what was happening behind the scenes.

I think, as with The Temptations Sing Smokey, Motown primarily wanted to honor and celebrate their most important writers and producers. For me, though, in early 1965 I didn’t know who “Smokey” was. Lol, I knew about Mary Wells Sings My Guy but why Sing [On Top Of Old] Smokey?!!

By 1967, The Supremes, Motown and The Motown Sound were globally known. The names Holland-Dozier-Holland would have been known and recognized by record buyers and fans. Sing HDH was timely, appropriate and well-deserved.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-24-2022 at 01:17 PM.

I agree. Much as I like There’s No Stopping Us Now for an album title, The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland is the best title. HDH deserved the honor and recognition, as much or more than any others at Motown [other than Berry Gordy]. IMO, they were most responsible for the success of The Motown Sound, The Supremes and The Four Tops. It may be true, but a bit cynical, that Motown just wanted to placate them. We didn’t know in early 1967 what was happening behind the scenes.

I think, as with The Temptations Sing Smokey, Motown primarily wanted to honor and celebrate their most important writers and producers. For me, though, in early 1965 I didn’t know who “Smokey” was. Lol, I knew about Mary Wells Sings My Guy but why Sing [On Top Of Old] Smokey?!!

By 1967, The Supremes, Motown and The Motown Sound were globally known. The names Holland-Dozier-Holland would have been known and recognized by record buyers and fans. Sing HDH was timely, appropriate and well-deserved.
    I tend to agree lucky, it was fitting to name the album after such prolific Motown songwriters.
    Calling an album ‘There’s No Stopping Us’ sounds rather cheesy to me.

I'm pretty sure its been said that Sing HDH was titled to put a pacifier in the guys mouths. I think its a good title, I just wish they chose a more current photo for the album cover.

Cream of the Crop I think is supposed to insinuate that Diana was the cream of the crop. Crop being the Supremes. Hence her giant head on the cover.

Regarding More Hits, I assumed that title was a reference to, and to separate from, the specialty albums. Basically, back to the hits you’re hearing on radio…

I think More Hits was a fine title. Perhaps change Cream of the Crop to Someday We'll Be Together and nix the closeup of Diana on the front and use it on the back cover. I think New Ways But Love Stays should have been Stoned Love with just the center picture used. Jimmy Webb title and photo was not eye catching nor a great title. Perhaps, a photo of the Supremes on front and with Jimmy on back ala Smokey on Floy Joy. Maybe the original title of Beyond Myself might have worked better. The Supremes 75 could have used a title-perhaps New Ways But Love Stays may have worked better here even though that title was a bit corny.

I think the JW project should have had a more traditional title but then still incorporating the released one somehow to acknowledge the production relationship. maybe something like:

Beyond Myself

The Supremes, produced and arranged by Jimmy Webb

completely agree the dead dandelion was a poor image for the cover. supposedly the pic of JML in black turtlenecks and no glam was to be the image, done in a sepia tone. i think this is a terrible pic of the girls too and they look like vampires lol

i do think a more sensitive, thoughtful pic of the girls would have worked, rather than all dolled up in feathers and sequins. Perhaps a more casual shot, or maybe one of the working shots of the girls with Jimmy. there was that outdoor session of JMC in the green fringe and lots of interesting natural lighting effects were used. something like that - JML in a meadow looking contemplative or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I think More Hits was a fine title. Perhaps change Cream of the Crop to Someday We'll Be Together and nix the closeup of Diana on the front and use it on the back cover. I think New Ways But Love Stays should have been Stoned Love with just the center picture used. Jimmy Webb title and photo was not eye catching nor a great title. Perhaps, a photo of the Supremes on front and with Jimmy on back ala Smokey on Floy Joy. Maybe the original title of Beyond Myself might have worked better. The Supremes 75 could have used a title-perhaps New Ways But Love Stays may have worked better here even though that title was a bit corny.
    Pretty much agree, Jim. Someday We’ll Be Together would have sold more albums, and yes, nix the closeup. In my Supremes parallel universe, though, LTSI and COC would have been one album in the summer of 1969 and GH3 would be titled Someday We’ll Be Together, using the COC cover of the three and thereby banishing that cheap awful GH3 cover forever.
    I like the idea of the Supremes on the front of the JW album, but wasn’t there a pic of Webb & the Supremes on the back cover already?

In my parallel universe, Supremes75 would have a title touting their return. I thought of Back In Style, but that retro, lovely but unstylish cover photo would have to go. The Return of the Supremes or The Supremes Return would be derivative of Return of the Magnificent 7 or the Marvelettes. I don’t think I want another picture of them in western gear or on horses.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-25-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think the JW project should have had a more traditional title but then still incorporating the released one somehow to acknowledge the production relationship. maybe something like:

Beyond Myself

The Supremes, produced and arranged by Jimmy Webb

completely agree the dead dandelion was a poor image for the cover. supposedly the pic of JML in black turtlenecks and no glam was to be the image, done in a sepia tone. i think this is a terrible pic of the girls too and they look like vampires lol

i do think a more sensitive, thoughtful pic of the girls would have worked, rather than all dolled up in feathers and sequins. Perhaps a more casual shot, or maybe one of the working shots of the girls with Jimmy. there was that outdoor session of JMC in the green fringe and lots of interesting natural lighting effects were used. something like that - JML in a meadow looking contemplative or something.
    I was missing your presence here for a little while, sup fan.

I personally like and understand why Motown went with the title Produced and Arranged By Jimmy Webb. He really was a celebrated and popular songwriter then. I think it also signals the new direction the Supremes were taking, away from Motown. Too bad about the results, though. :[[ [How about New Directions as a title?]
    Beyond Myself might have been a good title, but the song and Jean’s performance are my least favorite, along with Paradise. I almost never play the album and leave those two off when I do.
    I actually liked the cover photo when I saw it in the record stores and thought “how different, new and nice for the Supremes”. It’s a beautiful photograph. And dandelions are not dead, they are flowers turned to seeds, ready to fly off and start new lives wherever they land. [How about the title Rebirth? ] How about the Supremes in a meadow of dandelions for the cover? Ala the Marvelettes’ In Full Bloom, except this would be In Post-Bloom]

Anyway, my JW album would be:
    Side one:
    I Guess I’ll Miss The Man
    Tossin’ and Turnin’
    AllI Want
    5:30 Plane
    It’s Too Late [to continue the singer/songwriter theme]

Side two:
    Once In The Morning
    I Keep It Hid
    Cheap Lovin’
    When Can Brown Begin?
    Il Voce De Silenzio

I was missing your presence here for a little while, sup fan.

I personally like and understand why Motown went with the title Produced and Arranged By Jimmy Webb. He really was a celebrated and popular songwriter then. I think it also signals the new direction the Supremes were taking, away from Motown. Too bad about the results, though. :[[ [How about New Directions as a title?]
    Beyond Myself might have been a good title, but the song and Jean’s performance are my least favorite, along with Paradise. I almost never play the album and leave those two off when I do.
    I actually liked the cover photo when I saw it in the record stores and thought “how different, new and nice for the Supremes”. It’s a beautiful photograph. And dandelions are not dead, they are flowers turned to seeds, ready to fly off and start new lives wherever they land. [How about the title Rebirth? ] How about the Supremes in a meadow of dandelions for the cover? Ala the Marvelettes’ In Full Bloom, except this would be In Post-Bloom]

Anyway, my JW album would be:
    Side one:
    I Guess I’ll Miss The Man
    Tossin’ and Turnin’
    AllI Want
    It’s Too Late [to continue the singer/songwriter theme]

Side two:
    Once In The Morning
    I Keep It Hid
    Cheap Lovin’
    When Can Brown Begin?
    Il Voce De Silenzio
    oh man - there are SOOOOOOO many things we could edit and adjust on the JW project. they should have included at least a couple of his biggest hits. When I Get to Phoenix would have been a beautiful addition. Galveston, Up up and away, Macarthur Park.

if we only want to focus on lineup, then I'd do:

Galveston
    Tossin and Turnin
    Beyond Myself - surely there's another version w a better Jean lead vocal
    Once in the morning - expand the song to include M and L, with them sharing a verse and trading leads

All i want
    I keep it hid
    By the time i get to phoenix
    Up up and away
    When can brown begin
    Cheap Lovin