[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross was 'heartbroken' after hearing Disco anthem would 'ruin her career'

Hmmm ... there have been lots of different statements from Rodgers about ICO, and Frankie Crocker's comment to Diana has been interpreted in a variety of ways as well. I guess in the end we have great and classic music that is still discussed and played today -

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...gers-interview

Would be a good thread for the DRATS Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Would be a good thread for the DRATS Forum
    Does it really make a difference? Tell Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Hmmm ... there have been lots of different statements from Rodgers about ICO, and Frankie Crocker's comment to Diana has been interpreted in a variety of ways as well. I guess in the end we have great and classic music that is still discussed and played today -

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...gers-interview
    Link just led to a black page; thanks anyway PNH for sharing. However I remember hearing those stories about Frankie Crocker telling Diana Ross that he thought "I'm Coming Out" would "ruin her career". As know "ICO" became a Major Hit [and despite the 'backlash' against Disco to boot].

It's interesting how his interview talks about inclusivity and activism [[which is politically correct today) when previous interviews by him regarding the song said that he was in a bathroom in a club and there were a few drag queens in there dressed as Diana Ross and that's where the idea for the song came from. The Chic organization were simultaneously producing Sister Sledge's Love Somebody Today album at the time and I once read that some of the other songs from "Diana" were originally meant for that album. I believe that things came out the way that they were meant to be though. Great music was birthed out

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Does it really make a difference? Tell Ralph.
    I guess it did as the thread has been moved over here.

Where did this thread come from !!

Takes a lot of nerve to try to claim what is now being said about this song. IF the purpose was so lofty as to be a song to unite the gay community, the time to say so would have been THEN, in real time when the real time “community” could have used a little supportive nod like that.

The story that’s been offered for decades has Diana saying , “I don’t know nothin’ bout no comin’ out.”

The next update of the story will have Chic and Diana writing the song together at Paul Jabara’s apartment and her calling Barry Manilow wanting do it as a duet with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Where did this thread come from !!

Takes a lot of nerve to try to claim what is now being said about this song. IF the purpose was so lofty as to be a song to unite the gay community, the time to say so would have been THEN, in real time when the real time “community” could have used a little supportive nod like that.

The story that’s been offered for decades has Diana saying , “I don’t know nothin’ bout no comin’ out.”

The next update of the story will have Chic and Diana writing the song together at Paul Jabara’s apartment and her calling Barry Manilow wanting do it as a duet with him.
    LOLOL you're so right

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    It's interesting how his interview talks about inclusivity and activism [[which is politically correct today) when previous interviews by him regarding the song said that he was in a bathroom in a club and there were a few drag queens in there dressed as Diana Ross and that's where the idea for the song came from. The Chic organization were simultaneously producing Sister Sledge's Love Somebody Today album at the time and I once read that some of the other songs from "Diana" were originally meant for that album. I believe that things came out the way that they were meant to be though. Great music was birthed out
    Absolutely - remains an utterly classic album. I can recall Rodgers saying that the song ICO had everything to do with conversations with Diana about her entering a new phase of life and nothing to do with LGBTQ+ issues. Selective memory? Confirmation bias? Looking for the best way to get publicity? Who knows. For me the takeaway is that we should always take these sort of memories/interview statements with a grain [or, boulder) of salt and, as you imply, be happy for the music! ICO still raises the roof as a concert opener for Diana and UD a moment of transcendent joy for concert attendees.

I loved the days when Diana opened her concerts with a song other then “ICO”. It lent a freshness to an all to predictable set list.
    I think it works for where she is now in her career, but i would still relish hearing “He Lives In You”, “It’s My Turn” or perhaps a song from the new album to open a show.