[REMOVE ADS]

The supremes "people" acapella

Sounds great. When it was released on the boxset I really loved it. Since then I've cooled off of it, feeling that it really would've been a better fit for Mary than Florence. And I love the version of Mary singing the part Diana sings here. But honestly I really love this acapella. It really shows off the ladies' vocals in a way that's not a bit buried with the musical track in place. I am such a fan of the group when they sing like this. I wonder if they were sharing a mic in the studio?

I think Mary should have done the whole thing. No slight to the other two, but this song is perfectly suited to Mary's voice. I am shocked that Mary, not even one time to my knowledge, ever mentioned the fact that she sometimes sang lead on People. I mean considering the drama around this song in their act, you'd think Mary would have remembered that she did the lead occasionally, or at least part of it

I agree that the song is much more suited to Mary than Flo and Diana. Flo needed songs she could really let loose on, like "Good News", or "Makes No Difference Now".

Of the three women, Mary’s voice was so much better suited to this song. Flo’s voice always sounded rather out of place, while Diana comes across a little shrill.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I think Mary should have done the whole thing. No slight to the other two, but this song is perfectly suited to Mary's voice. I am shocked that Mary, not even one time to my knowledge, ever mentioned the fact that she sometimes sang lead on People. I mean considering the drama around this song in their act, you'd think Mary would have remembered that she did the lead occasionally, or at least part of it
    She remembered.

I remember when the box set came out in 2000 and People was going to be on it. All the drama about that song and it being Flo's big number and Diana and Berry taking it away from her in the live show, the tears and heartache [[I now know the story is more complex but not in 2000). I was expecting something really special. Then I heard it. What a letdown--such a dreary arrangement. This was the source of all the controversy?! There was a reason the recording was vaulted until the box set and the song should have never been in the live act.

Ain't that Good News, on the other hand, would have been worth fighting over as Flo's lead spot in the live show.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I
    Ain't that Good News, on the other hand, would have been worth fighting over as Flo's lead spot in the live show.
    Problem being it would most likely have gone over a little to well. I really can’t imagine Diana putting up with the audience getting behind Flo for very long.
    By the time Mary was given “Can’t Take My Eyes” the writing was on the wall so it didn’t matter nearly so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    the song should have never been in the live act.

The problem with your former statement is that the reason why it remained in the act so long is because it was a crowd pleaser. I've seen reviews of the girls' shows at the time, and "People" is sometimes mentioned as one of the highlights. You better believe that if Gordy was under any impression that audiences couldn't care less about the group's "People" performance, it would have gone the way of the other one and dones, or here for a minute, gone forevers.

To your latter point, the Supremes' show would have really ramped up a notch had "Good News" been included. I could hear that one really rocking the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Problem being it would most likely have gone over a little to well. I really can’t imagine Diana putting up with the audience getting behind Flo for very long.
    By the time Mary was given “Can’t Take My Eyes” the writing was on the wall so it didn’t matter nearly so much.
    I think we can all agree that Diana craved as much of the spotlight for herself as she could get, but I don't think she was too far gone in 1965 to not enjoy Flo having her moment. I suspect a lot of what came later, where it seemed Diana was willing to hog the spotlight at the expense of Flo and Mary, was Berry in her head and not malice in her heart. After all, a year after the Copa, she takes a backseat to Flo and Mary singing "People" rather than Flo and herself. If anything, Gordy might have opposed showcasing a live Florence on "Good News". On "People" she's subdued, very Supremesy. On "Good News", mama is taking no prisoners. I don't think Gordy liked the idea of his Supremes being "Good News"y in public.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think we can all agree that Diana craved as much of the spotlight for herself as she could get, but I don't think she was too far gone in 1965 to not enjoy Flo having her moment. I suspect a lot of what came later, where it seemed Diana was willing to hog the spotlight at the expense of Flo and Mary, was Berry in her head and not malice in her heart. After all, a year after the Copa, she takes a backseat to Flo and Mary singing "People" rather than Flo and herself. If anything, Gordy might have opposed showcasing a live Florence on "Good News". On "People" she's subdued, very Supremesy. On "Good News", mama is taking no prisoners. I don't think Gordy liked the idea of his Supremes being "Good News"y in public.
    Good points Ran. Perhaps a little to earthy for concert consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Good points Ran. Perhaps a little to earthy for concert consumption.
    Which is a shame because I do think the live show comes across better with a couple of "rockers" thrown in. "Hurry" and "Hangin" became great additions to the show. "Good News" could have really worked during the Sam Cooke Medley, but the question would be does it close the medley out or could "Shake" follow it?

Is this the version from the Pink Boxset? Is it different than the one on their album A Place For US? There has been at least 5 studio and live versions released so far. Seems fair to say that Berry believed in the song.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Is this the version from the Pink Boxset? Is it different than the one on their album A Place For US? There has been at least 5 studio and live versions released so far. Seems fair to say that Berry believed in the song.
    It's an acapella version of the pink boxset version. I'm assuming the instrumentation has simply been removed. I think the boxset and APFU album are the same version. Plus there's live versions on the WDOLG expanded 20 Grand show, Motown In Paris, and Symphony expanded Roostertail show. And of course Diana's solo Funny Girl recording. I'm guessing there's probably other live "People" recordings in the vault from various shows, in addition to the video footage of them performing it in the Orient.

ok - i'm not going to hold back here

this is simply a ghastly song. i think the song sort of sucks even with Barbra singing it. but this is one of the worst things in the supremes' whole catalog

1. the music accompanying a funeral dirge has more life and interest than the backing track here. it is sooooooooo slow. i can accept the fact that the production overall isn't as smooth as what we got on Sing R&H because they were all still learning and experimenting. most of the tracks on There's A Place have a bit of a shrillness to them as the orchestration and mixing just isn't as savvy or sophisticated as it would become. but it's a pretty bad track still with the flourishes by the woodwinds and all. listen to what Gil later did on the FG lp - that's a quality track.
    2. this is NOT a good vocal from Flo. her intonation is all over the place, there's a lack of control. frankly her voice just sounds thin and unsure. perhaps it's a demo?? part of the problem is that it's too slow of a tempo and so it drags, which means her vocals have to be at a slow tempo and that exasperates things.
    3. the trade off with Diana is awkward. yes it's the bridge but what was the reason for it? that's actually the moment with Flo might have been able to do something interesting. it's sort of a cadenza, which in musical terms means a point in the song free from meter, where a soloist has some freedom to play with tempo and phrasing. in the live version, it's just as odd to have Mary sing this. although you could say it's the 1 spotlight for the 'other two vocalists'

the odd thing is they'd been doing the song live for well over a year so you'd think Flo would have more of a command of it. unless the producers just sort of smothered her with direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The problem with your former statement is that the reason why it remained in the act so long is because it was a crowd pleaser. I've seen reviews of the girls' shows at the time, and "People" is sometimes mentioned as one of the highlights. You better believe that if Gordy was under any impression that audiences couldn't care less about the group's "People" performance, it would have gone the way of the other one and dones, or here for a minute, gone forevers.

To your latter point, the Supremes' show would have really ramped up a notch had "Good News" been included. I could hear that one really rocking the place.
    i have a bootleg cassette i need to dig out and transfer to digital. i believe it is a 20 Grand performance from around the release of WDOLG. similar to the show we have on the EE. but if i remember right, the People on there is different from the one we got live and is better.

i can see this going over well live. especially in the supper clubs. most of the live tunes were at a faster pace, even the ballads. so that would have helped immensely over the studio version