[REMOVE ADS]

Mary wilson pick up the pieces [[uk tv - 1980)

Thanks for sharing this, blackguy69. I remember Marv had posted the clip of You Make Me Feel So Good to YouTube, some years ago. However, I had not seen the Pick Up the Pieces performance from this show, as well as not having seen this footage in such clear quality. This is lovely.

I do like the look.[outfit]
    sort of Gladys/ Dionne ….
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-19-2022 at 12:05 PM.

I love when ya'll dig up these gems. I never would have known this existed!
    It appears to be live [[vs. sung to a recorded track or lip-synced).

It’s live vocals to the instrumental track
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I love when ya'll dig up these gems. I never would have known this existed!
    It appears to be live [[vs. sung to a recorded track or lip-synced).

What a find! Never seen this before. Mary sounds great singing my fav cut "Pick Up the Pieces" from her debut album, and IMO the only song of the set that's worthy of her talent. She looks every bit the star and sounds very good. [[The second performance is cool.) A video like this always leaves me scratching my head whenever someone posts about how no one could possibly have been interested in Mary Wilson outside of her position as a Supreme. I also think this is a great example of Mary's jazz talent coming through. I know she had a love of jazz so I really think she should have chosen to pursue a more Nancy Wilson type of direction.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It’s live vocals to the instrumental track
    I don't think that's the recorded track. This is slower and it sounds different.

Mary is doing live vocals

this one she’s clearly lip syncing

Ran sorry I misread your post. The instrumental track is different than the recorded version.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't think that's the recorded track. This is slower and it sounds different.

I think the song s—t, but it does provide Mary with an opportunity to display her vocal talents. Unfortunately, not many of the other songs featured on that album afforded her such an opportunity.
    What might have been......

Mary Wilson was very much a star. Her debut LP was supposed to just be a start. Too bad it was during the disco era. I certainly like Pick up the Pieces. I prefer I Love A Warm Summer Night and for a up tempo song, Midnight Dancer. Having heard her unreleased songs for the second LP she surely had some very good songs-You Dance My Heart Around The Stars and Love Talk were right up her alley and very good songs. I doubt we will ever see the release of all of her later releases. Wondering if there are any gems we have not heard from the Proposed Clarity CD. I don't think we will see anything past the Anthology. Her Up Close recordings are divine. She is truly missed.

This is fab! Mary sounds great live.

For me the standout track on the album.

Did Mary smoke ??

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-20-2022 at 03:21 PM.

No wonder she was asked to sing lead on the Supremes version of Witchi Tai To!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is fab! Mary sounds great live.

For me the standout track on the album.
    I agree Tom. I wish they had used this cut to build a sound around. This is right up Mary's alley.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary Wilson was very much a star. Her debut LP was supposed to just be a start. Too bad it was during the disco era. I certainly like Pick up the Pieces. I prefer I Love A Warm Summer Night and for a up tempo song, Midnight Dancer. Having heard her unreleased songs for the second LP she surely had some very good songs-You Dance My Heart Around The Stars and Love Talk were right up her alley and very good songs. I doubt we will ever see the release of all of her later releases. Wondering if there are any gems we have not heard from the Proposed Clarity CD. I don't think we will see anything past the Anthology. Her Up Close recordings are divine. She is truly missed.
    jim I agree with your sentiment that Mary's debut was supposed to be a start; something to build upon. Think what would have happened if Motown dropped the Supremes after "Meet"? Of course, that's apples and oranges, but regardless.

I still maintain Motown had no intent whatsoever to work with Mary beyond that obligated release. It was to fulfill their end of her dropping her lawsuit. But what might be a interesting "what if" would be what if her solo debut took off? "Red Hot" hit #1. THEN what would Motown have done with her?

Maybe waiting until 1980 when disco was out the door might have had a different outcome too?

I agree Mary. Unfortunately Mary Wilson wasn't given the grace of a follow up like the Supremes were given. However, I think most people would agree that the GD demos the following year are evidence that Mary had the potential to move up and beyond the solo debut. That's the frustrating thing about Mary, and even Florence, that as talented as they were as lead vocalists in their own right, their recorded solo work is few. Mary has more under her belt than Florence, but look at just how sparse Mary's solo discography is, how few and far between she recorded. And the fact that as a singer she only seemed to get better with each passing day, it's a travesty that we don't have more to ruminate over the way we dissect Diana's zillion albums.