[REMOVE ADS]

Four Classic Motown Album Vinyl Reissues by Elemental for Black Friday RSD

Elemental Music is reissuing classic Motown albums on vinyl for Black Friday Record Store Day: Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes, Second Album by The Four Tops, Dance Party by Martha & the Vandellas, and Going To A Go Go by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles.

https://www.elemental-music.com/the-...love-go-rsdbf/

https://www.elemental-music.com/mart...r-vinyl-rsdbf/

https://www.elemental-music.com/the-...d-album-rsdbf/

https://www.elemental-music.com/smok...a-go-go-rsdbf/
    Last edited by carlo; 09-18-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks for sharing these, Carlo! I think it's curious that WDOLG, SA, and GTAGG all have their correct label logos on the cover for the period they were released, but "Dance Party" doesn't have a Gordy logo, but instead a Motown logo! I wonder why that decision [[or mistake) to not use the Gordy logo on the cover [or presumably the record labels] was made? To me, this kind of defeats the purpose of re-releasing these albums on vinyl--they're altering the history a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Thanks for sharing these, Carlo! I think it's curious that WDOLG, SA, and GTAGG all have their correct label logos on the cover for the period they were released, but "Dance Party" doesn't have a Gordy logo, but instead a Motown logo! I wonder why that decision [[or mistake) to not use the Gordy logo on the cover [or presumably the record labels] was made? To me, this kind of defeats the purpose of re-releasing these albums on vinyl--they're altering the history a bit.
    I don't recall this title being amongst the mid-1980s vinyl reissues, and I know this album had a different cover in the UK, but the only thing I can think of is perhaps the only cover they had available to duplicate was a "Motown" reissue, vs. one which used the original Gordy label. All the 80s vinyl reissues used the Motown label in spite of how they were released originally, as far as I know.

WOW! Thanks for posting this. Any idea on the prices? The links don't have any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I notice on the site that on most of the Tempts' reissues [vinyl or cd], as well as Edwin Starr's WAR AND PEACE, the Gordy imprint is replaced by Motown, so maybe it has something to do with using the family name Gordy?

That said, on the same site, the Tempts' MASTERPIECE and the Undisputed Truth's FACE TO FACE WITH THE TRUTH reissues do have the Gordy imprint so who knows?

I was thinking of getting these, but 140 gr. ? Most re-releases these days are a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I was thinking of getting these, but 140 gr. ? Most re-releases these days are a bit heavier.
    I've bought a lot of 180g "new vinyl" that just downright sucks. I don't think the weight matters as much as the quality of the pressing equipment. I've had many 180g discs that I've sent back because the needle simply can't stay in the groove at any tone arm weight and anti-skid setting. There is nothing like whipping out a 1965 era pressing on the old labels. that was before they all moved to "flex" discs but after they got rid of all the bake-lite materials. I would say the sweetest spot for pure vinyl quality where you could pick up about any disc and get outstanding play quality was about 1959-1968.

I totally agree with you on that, thanxal.

I believe you guys are from the USA [[?) but I am quite satisfied with 99% of the new vinyl I get here in Holland. I just ordered these 4 titles from my record shop anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I believe you guys are from the USA [[?) but I am quite satisfied with 99% of the new vinyl I get here in Holland. I just ordered these 4 titles from my record shop anyway
    Yes and it very well could be. Vinyl production still tends to be regional so you could be getting much better quality in the Netherlands/EU than we get in the US. Vinyl pressing plants lived on much longer there after the agreement by the major labels to end-of-life it. I recall getting vinyl in Europe well into the late 90s. In the US, most of the stamping plants had been moth-balled or destroyed by the late 90s.

I just can't see a reason to keep buying these same lps. I have forgotten how many times I have purchased Marvin's What's Going On. It's one of my all time fav lps but I really only need one copy. The first expanded CD with the original concept and the released version is enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I just can't see a reason to keep buying these same lps. I have forgotten how many times I have purchased Marvin's What's Going On. It's one of my all time fav lps but I really only need one copy. The first expanded CD with the original concept and the released version is enough for me
    I would agree. I have all of these, except for the Four Tops' release. At this point, if I even bought these, I most likely wouldn't play them and they would remain sealed, just taking up space.

But looking at the glass half-full, obviously those in control think these are going to sell. If they do, maybe they will get around to releasing some of the unreleased material still in the vault.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Oh please, please donít write anything logical and sane like this! Whatever will I do with all my money ????

As annoying as it can be for the same albums to be getting reissued time after time [I get frustrated sometimes too...ABBA Gold just got it's 10 millionth reissue last week], I like to hope that it means that newer generations of fans are discovering and buying the music.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh please, please don’t write anything logical and sane like this! Whatever will I do with all my money ????
    HaHa! You're still a hoot, Al!