[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    227

    Thelma Houston = "I'm Here Again"

    Not sure it's possible to have too much Thelma Houston.

    She looks gorgeous here performing "I'm Here Again".


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,117
    Rep Power
    144
    I love "I'm Here Again", Mystery. I've always felt that it should have been a much bigger hit than it was. I guess people thought it was too similiar to "Don't Leave Me This Way", although I prefer "I'm Me Again".

    My favorite Thelma track with Motown will always be HDH's production of "I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love" from her "The Devil In Me " album.

    https://youtu.be/y__WiEr7No8


    As long as I've stoked your attention, I've gotta mention Thelma's RCA material of which some of it was top-notch like "Long-Lasting Love" from "Breakwater Cat":

    https://youtu.be/A9GUerT9ErQ

    And "Too Many Teardrops" from "Never Gonna Be Another One":

    https://youtu.be/0_OcHrjt_7Y

    I really feel that Thelma was underrated. She has a powerful.voice which deserved much higher chart positions than she got.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love "I'm Here Again", Mystery. I've always felt that it should have been a much bigger hit than it was. I guess people thought it was too similiar to "Don't Leave Me This Way", although I prefer "I'm Me Again".

    My favorite Thelma track with Motown will always be HDH's production of "I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love" from her "The Devil In Me " album.

    https://youtu.be/y__WiEr7No8


    As long as I've stoked your attention, I've gotta mention Thelma's RCA material of which some of it was top-notch like "Long-Lasting Love" from "Breakwater Cat":

    https://youtu.be/A9GUerT9ErQ

    And "Too Many Teardrops" from "Never Gonna Be Another One":

    https://youtu.be/0_OcHrjt_7Y

    I really feel that Thelma was underrated. She has a powerful.voice which deserved much higher chart positions than she got.
    Yes, to everything you said! Even her later material should have charted. She just didn't have anyone in her corner promoting her the way she should have been promoted. She is one of the few artists that I have a complete discography on. I listen to her quite often.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,404
    Rep Power
    191
    For me , Thelma perfectly expressed the aching feeling of a broken heart from an unwanted split in DONT LEAVE ME THIS WAY.
    The follow up might have worked better if written with an I WILL SURVIVE self awakening theme.
    instead she’s HERE AGAIN banging on the door, the path to which she has memorized, like an obsessed stalker. Lol!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    227
    Some interesting perspectives there and I too prefer "I'm Here Again" to DLMTW [[no one touches Teddy with Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes for me). As a general rule, I love, love, love Thelma's earlier work on the "Sunshower" album and her single "No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever" is a permanent favourite. Thelma is so versatile though - I really like her version of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb". Will check out all your recommendations.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,117
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Yes, to everything you said! Even her later material should have charted. She just didn't have anyone in her corner promoting her the way she should have been promoted. She is one of the few artists that I have a complete discography on. I listen to her quite often.
    Thom, I'm also very fond of Thelma's MoWest album -- especially "There's No Such Thing As Love":

    https://youtu.be/nV1LRFQnSnc

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thom, I'm also very fond of Thelma's MoWest album -- especially "There's No Such Thing As Love":

    https://youtu.be/nV1LRFQnSnc
    Such a lovely song that you don't really notice the hurt in the lyrics. Thelma has so many overlooked gems. Back when I was a performer, I used Throw You Down as a warmup song to get my blood pumping before a performance. Someone asked me what I was listening to. After I told them I noticed that a few others had also started using it as a warmup. Good to pass the music along!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,117
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Such a lovely song that you don't really notice the hurt in the lyrics. Thelma has so many overlooked gems. Back when I was a performer, I used Throw You Down as a warmup song to get my blood pumping before a performance. Someone asked me what I was listening to. After I told them I noticed that a few others had also started using it as a warmup. Good to pass the music along!
    Hey, Thom -- what type of performer were you? A singer?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey, Thom -- what type of performer were you? A singer?
    I was an actor [[some say I still am!). Did mostly comedies and musical comedies.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    227
    Yes "There's No Such Thing As Love" is an absolute gem. Written by Anthony Newley who's own versions sounds....well, very Anthony Newley lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.