[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: MSS albums

MSS albums

Does anyone know where the Mary, Scherrie and Susaye albums were recorded? I'm kind of thinking LA? Did they use those 'additional' background voices on any of them? Thanks

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it was LA. I think the last Detroit album was Floy Joy, but I'm not sure where the JW album was recorded. The JW album is also the last album, I believe, where additional vocalists are brought in. When Cindy returned to the group, and with Scherrie in also, along with Mary, they sang background together, which made for a really full, rich sound. Once Cindy left and Susaye came in, I don't know if the three ladies sang together, but I don't think anyone else was brought in either.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect it was LA. I think the last Detroit album was Floy Joy, but I'm not sure where the JW album was recorded. The JW album is also the last album, I believe, where additional vocalists are brought in. When Cindy returned to the group, and with Scherrie in also, along with Mary, they sang background together, which made for a really full, rich sound. Once Cindy left and Susaye came in, I don't know if the three ladies sang together, but I don't think anyone else was brought in either.
    Thanks, Ran. That makes sense. Kinda of thought those LP's were recorded in LA. I also agree about the background vocals on those albums.

I believe I read that once Scherrie and Cindy joined the group that they only used the group and didn't have additional vocalists. I think it was the Holland Brothers who recorded the last 2 LPs with them alone at their studios. High Energy had Mary, Scherrie and Cindy. When Susaye replaced Cindy she was overdubbed on some songs and did leads for High Energy and I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking,the former kept her lead and the latter included some overdubbed ad libs. On MSS, the only additional vocal would be the male voice on Sweet Dream Machine.

The JW album was done in LA

Only MSS seems to have studio credits, and it looks like it was recorded in various studios in LA, they all have pages on Discogs.

Wally Heider #4 - 1604 N. Cahuenga - kitty corner from what was the Solar Records building, now Diane Warren's Realsongs HQ.

Barnum Recording Studio, Hollywood

Studio Masters - 8312 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles

and of course Motown/Hitsville Recording Studios - 7317 Romaine Street, West Hollywood

On Instagram, John Whyman posted some personal photos from the High Energy recording sessions with Mary, Cindy & Scherrie at the Motown Recording Studios.

Name:  mcs - 167099661_122082339894631_9215033097903768002_n.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  55.1 KB
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNJbvuUpMAj/

Name:  mcs - 157917852_279288817133179_2153115639468477064_n.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  58.4 KB
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKUF6AH4-3
    Last edited by telekin; 09-18-2022 at 05:53 PM.