[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Mike Douglas Show Gowns...

I'm sure many reading this know I own one of the same design gowns the ladies wore on the Mike Douglas Show in 1965 as I've posted pics of my gown in other gown related threads and the story that it was Diana's gown. At any rate, we all know the available footage from that show is in black and white. The gown I own is what I call "Supremes Pink" since it's in a hue similar to the set of pink gowns shown in Mary's book. Other forum members expressed thoughts that the gowns the ladies wore might be a different color [[blue or green), since they appear darker in much of the MD Show footage. Personally I think the lighting for their performances was horrid and likely affects the perceived color of the gowns. These gowns were "off the rack", designed by Eloise Curtis for David Styne and were possibly available in other hues of silk velvet, although I have never seen another example of this gown in any other color in all my research.

At any rate, the photo below showed up on Ebay recently. I've not seen any color photos taken of the ladies that day. Does the forum feel the photo below is likely just "computer colorized" or could it possibly be something out of a magazine or trade publication of the day? The color in the photo is very similar to the gown I own.
    Thanks,
    Darin

Name:  Supremes MD Show Pink Gowns.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  39.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I'm sure many reading this know I own one of the same design gowns the ladies wore on the Mike Douglas Show in 1965 as I've posted pics of my gown in other gown related threads and the story that it was Diana's gown. At any rate, we all know the available footage from that show is in black and white. The gown I own is what I call "Supremes Pink" since it's in a hue similar to the set of pink gowns shown in Mary's book. Other forum members expressed thoughts that the gowns the ladies wore might be a different color [[blue or green), since they appear darker in much of the MD Show footage. Personally I think the lighting for their performances was horrid and likely affects the perceived color of the gowns. These gowns were "off the rack", designed by Eloise Curtis for David Styne and were possibly available in other hues of silk velvet, although I have never seen another example of this gown in any other color in all my research.

At any rate, the photo below showed up on Ebay recently. I've not seen any color photos taken of the ladies that day. Does the forum feel the photo below is likely just "computer colorized" or could it possibly be something out of a magazine or trade publication of the day? The color in the photo is very similar to the gown I own.
    Thanks,
    Darin

Interesting, Darin - how do you store the gown?

It looks colorized to me, but I'm no expert.

I also own an "off the rack" gown from Gene Shelly; the same design as Mary's hot pink and lime green striped number from the A GO-GO Expended set. I keep mine stored in a garment bag in a cool, dry area.

The photo looks colorized from a screenshot possibly taken off tv. You can actually see the curved edge at the top and bottom left.

Peace, I alternate between displaying it on a dress form and flat storage in a garment box. Being on the form periodically keeps the gown from forming folds or the velvet crushing, so relaxing the material every so often with gravity. In the full size photo the pink looks lighter than it does in person, the close up of the bead and crystals work shows the darker pink it actually is.

Name:  Gown.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  Gown Close.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  95.1 KB

I don’t have much interest in the dresses but that is pretty cool Darin

Thanks,
    Darin

I think it's a colorized photo- either from a screenshot or if it was a color photo from a magazine article, the colors were added or "amped up" a bit before publication. I collect a lot of magazines from the 60s and I've noticed some of the advertising looks as if they did some extra colorization to make the visuals pop. The reason I think this photo was colorized is because the top ridge [[I don't know the terms) of the dresses look as if someone colored them blue or violet with the second line of below it looking as if they were colored white. Or was that just a variation on the design...

It's definitely a colorized photo. That's a really cool find DWSheffer. Interestingly this is the only time I've seen them wear these ones.

Speaking of colorization, I always hated that the dresses were colored the wrong color on Ed Sullivan when they did Come See About Me.

Peace, I alternate between displaying it on a dress form and flat storage in a garment box. Being on the form periodically keeps the gown from forming folds or the velvet crushing, so relaxing the material every so often with gravity. In the full size photo the pink looks lighter than it does in person, the close up of the bead and crystals work shows the darker pink it actually is.

Name:  Gown.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  Gown Close.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  95.1 KB
    That's really interesting info and seems like a great way to preserve the integrity of the piece. I've always had an interest [[though no experience) in preservation of historic garments and you method of alternating the positioning is new to me. Don't you wonder who did the beadwork, placed the bows, etc?

This was the famed TV appearance where it was revealed that Flo had a bionic right arm.

Thanks,
    Darin

The photo appears to be colorized to me, but I am no expert. I do believe that you have a real gown and I’m so jealous that I can’t come up with the words to express how much I have wanted one of her gowns. Congratulations and it looks to me like you’re taking fine care of it. If it should ever annoy you, or you become allergic to pink or something, please let me know!

I would say yours is pretty close to being one of the originals. The girls were always good at labeling inside whose gown it was. The picture is a bit off with the purple and pink so I would says it is also colorized.