[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Slayed, Conquered, and Triumphed at Radio City Tonight

New songs, new costumes, new backdrops, sold out show of cheering fans, in many ways a career-defining performance. Brava, Diana! It was a pure and total joy.

It was incredible and she was in great voice. She did Count on Me [[with Rhonda and Tracee), I Still Believe, Come Together, Tomorrow, If the World Just Danced and the title track of Thank You. It was all live. She talked extensively about the making of the album and her intent for it. In the q and a portion of the show she did the first half of It’s My Turn and a beautiful full version of Home. Only minor lyric flubs here and there throughout the entire show. Truly amazing evening. Waited till after the show to purchase merchandise and it all sold out while we were waiting in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    It was incredible and she was in great voice. She did Count on Me [[with Rhonda and Tracee), I Still Believe, Come Together, Tomorrow, If the World Just Danced and the title track of Thank You. It was all live. She talked extensively about the making of the album and her intent for it. In the q and a portion of the show she did the first half of It’s My Turn and a beautiful full version of Home. Only minor lyric flubs here and there throughout the entire show. Truly amazing evening. Waited till after the show to purchase merchandise and it all sold out while we were waiting in line.
    Happy to hear you had as good a time as did I! Diana radiated sheer joy and the audience reflected it back to her from the moment the lights dimmed. I was lucky to have a 7th row orchestra seat and the roar from the audience was nearly overwhelming. She is, and always has been, one of a kind. I wanted to visit the mdse counter as well [pre-show) but the lines were way to long! Surprise highlights for me were 'Count on Me' and 'Come Together' which were the 2 cuts from the 'Thank You' album that never really caught fire for me; they sure do now!

Nice to hear that Diana is continuing her winning streak with great shows. It is hard to believe that a few months back, some were asking whether she should call it a day. I watched some of the Radio City show last night and it looked like people were having a great time.

When I saw her last week, the merchandise line was so long and only one person was working it. So I decided to go after the show. Bad move, as it was even worse then. But I see that she is selling a lot of the merchandise on her site. See below.

https://dianarossmerchandise.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Happy to hear you had as good a time as did I! Diana radiated sheer joy and the audience reflected it back to her from the moment the lights dimmed. I was lucky to have a 7th row orchestra seat and the roar from the audience was nearly overwhelming. She is, and always has been, one of a kind. I wanted to visit the mdse counter as well [pre-show) but the lines were way to long! Surprise highlights for me were 'Count on Me' and 'Come Together' which were the 2 cuts from the 'Thank You' album that never really caught fire for me; they sure do now!
    She was beyond radiant and seemed truly sincere in her joy and gratitude for the success she has had. The crowd was clearly enthralled. I was in the first row of the first mezzanine. Great views. I took a lot of video and have been playing it back this morning and it confirmed for me how great she sounded.

Sounds like a great show!!! [If I’m honest, it sounds even better than the show I saw at the O2!!] And its really good to see Diana including all these new songs, "If The World Just Danced" especially so.

It’s her show to do her way, and it’s grand to see the audience eat it up. How can a lifetime of performing not result in a professional polish to her act … and yet she’s still allowing some room for impromptu warmth. Seems she is finding the right balance.

Ross is a legend that has EARNED every ounce of applause coming her way.
    That she gets to bask in it is fantastic.
    Bravo in every respect!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sounds like a great show!!! [If I’m honest, it sounds even better than the show I saw at the O2!!] And its really good to see Diana including all these new songs, "If The World Just Danced" especially so.
    Hi, Tom - word was that Diana was a bit overbooked in the UK and that may have effected her performance the night you attended. Last night's was as good as I've ever seen Diana and the audience response at its peak. Just euphoric. The show was completely sold out [as usual) and had a good number of wannabe attendees begging for tickets. And it sure was good to hear the new songs! Best to you -

Diana Ross' voice was in superb form!
    Great audience. Audience sing along to "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was a remarkable high. Phenomenal Concert. Bravo to Ms. Ross, her hot band and singers for all the overwhelming Joy!

Reach Out and Touch was also a highlight. The whole audience sang so loud when she asked us to sing the chorus and put our cell phone lights on.

Is that the Beatles' "Come Together" she's doing in her shows now? That would be pretty cool to hear her do live.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Is that the Beatles' "Come Together" she's doing in her shows now? That would be pretty cool to hear her do live.
    No; this is a song from her latest album with the same title.

I was at the show last night. I sat further back. It was a good show. Place pretty much sold out. Diana still has the charisma and showmanship of a great star. Her connection with the audience was electric. She came down the aisle to the stage for her entrance and made 4 gown changes. Her band included 4 horn players, drummer, percussionist, guitarist, keyboardist and bass guitarist.

Vocally she was fine. I came into the show with reasonable expectations given her age and that she's been touring the last few weeks. The 4 background singers were mic'd high and helped carry the vocal load for her at times. The sound mix at times was such that her lead was mixed in with the background singers. Also she lipsynched a couple of songs, those from the new album. It was rather amusing to hear her voice come through the speakers as she stopped to do an autograph for a fan who presented her a Thank You album to sign as she performed Come Together. And on other songs it sounded to me as if she had a pre recorded vocal track to fall back on to enhance her voice. I enjoyed it, but she had some help from the background singers and technology for this performance.

I enjoyed that she mixed things up by doing 6 songs from Thank You. 5 of them as part of the third act of the evening--Count on Me, Together, I Still Believe, Come Together, and If the World Just Danced. Count on Me a highlight as she brought Tracee up from the audience to join her and Rhonda. This time no tricks--just the 3 of them singing and it's the closest we will see Diana return to her musical roots of singing with two other women in harmony as she did when she got started. It was a very touching moment on many levels.

I was sitting further back with more casual fans and I did notice some lost interest in the 3rd act that started with Don't Explain and then the Thank you songs. They perked up when Rhonda and Tracee were on stage for Count on Me, but some of the people around me wanted to hear the hits and party and dance and go down memory lane. I'm glad Diana has new songs in her act. But I wonder if maybe she should scatter them throughout the set rather than group them all together? What do you all think?

I had one unfortunate incident at the show. The woman next to me was not into Don't Explain so she decided to go on her phone and watch videos with the volume up. So me and those right around her had the performance of Don't Explain messed up because of the music and sounds coming from her phone. After Don't Explain was over I asked the woman if she was going to play videos on her phone to put on her headphones so the rest of us can enjoy the show. She got pissy and stated "I'm not playing videos now!". I replied "you were 20 seconds ago". She whined "You need to lighten up". I replied that she needed to be more considerate and that she was rude, trashy and had no class. Needless to say, that shut her up and she didn't play any more videos on her phone. But what a sad example of the erosion of how one behaves in public. So the incident cast a cloud on my concert experience.

Rhonda Ross opened. She was fine, but as when I saw her at Hollywood Bowl some years ago, she can be very preachy in her stage patter and her song writing. Highlight of her set was performing "Somewhere". As she sounds somewhat like her mom, it was nice to hear that Supremes era Copa chestnut again. And Rhonda sounded lovely singing with her mom and sister on Count on Me.

Highlights: Count on Me, Upside Down, Reach Out and Touch, If the World Just Danced

Lowlight: My neighbor playing videos with loud sound during Don't Explain. Now I know how Miss Ross must have felt decades ago at that show in Vegas when the rude fan demanded she sing Baby Love, damnit while trying to do a Billie Holliday song.

Overall, a good night out. Glad I went. Not the greatest concert I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it.

Also, I believe Miss Jay Alexander, who was the runway coach on the old America's Top Model show, was in the audience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    Reach Out and Touch was also a highlight. The whole audience sang so loud when she asked us to sing the chorus and put our cell phone lights on.
    Wasn't that wonderful!? When the orchestra started the intro my initial thought was 'whatever', but seconds later when the audience participation began I was totally swept up in the moment! Name:  Resized_20220913_203557.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  36.1 KB

Are you kidding, no reviews anywhere of Diana Ross at one of the most powerful and exciting concerts in her career? I haven't witnessed such energy ever at any concert. If anybody finds a review please post!

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Are you kidding, no reviews anywhere of Diana Ross at one of the most powerful and exciting concerts in her career? I haven't witnessed such energy ever at any concert. If anybody finds a review please post!
    I sure will, Mindful! I've been looking also.

A broadcast of this awesome concert by Diana Ross on PBS would be great to awaken the baby boomers. Diana Ross sings with joyful empowerment in this concert.
    The song hit potential of "If the World Just Danced" should be promoted with a holiday, akin to New Year's Eve.I now start the global fan campaign to have Diana Ross sing this somewhere in a world capital city on New Year's Eve.
    "If the World Just Danced" has the epic ending thread of a dance themed Bollywood Movie.

Bollywood calling my little ones! Ha! Ha!
    Last edited by TNSUN; 09-17-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    A broadcast of this awesome concert by Diana Ross on PBS would be great to awaken the baby boomers. Diana Ross sings with joyful empowerment in this concert!
    Baby boomers!! Wrong market lol. It would be wonderful if Diana had managed to score one last major hit before she decides to call it a day. Her age is a major stumbling block, but had they been reasonably promoted with tv appearances and such like ”If The World Just Danced” or “I Still Believe” Just might have caught on.

How did her latest stuff do on the club/dance/disco charts ? Or are there such things …..