[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Dazzles During First U.S. Tour Since 2020

It sounds like the exact same show in Minnesota; even the scripted "being 47 years old" comment. I'm glad to see Diana getting such good reviews on this side of the pond.

How in the world could the Supremes be second to the Spice Girls in record sales or hits or whatever measurement the reviewer was talking about? Unless I have forgotten something, the Spice Girls only recorded something like 2 or 3 albums and they were gone from the scene before they really even got started.

I would say, For one thing the Spices were from an era where the youth were musically starved for anything faddish to catch their fancy, with very little out there to satisfy the hunger.
    The Supremes were from the golden era of pop music where the buying/ listening public had a bounty of choices, where instead of seeking something to
    buy with this weeks allowance , it was more a decision of which records to not buy.
    Also the typical youth in the sixties spread their buying between several 45s by various artists. By the mid nineties their limited buying went instead to an entire CD, inflating the sales in that format specifically.

Itngoes without saying , it had zilch to do with superior music/ talent
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-13-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Oh no, that old fake chestnut. The Spice Girls came nowhere near the Supremes’ hit rate. But their determined publicity dept has repeated this fake news so often & so long that some people have begun to fall for it.

Based on sales:

The SG first two albums sold 37 million units. I assume that includes LPS, cassettes, and CD's. I don't know if that includes downloads.

It's hard to know what the Supremes sold. LP's were generally the most common output, with cassettes [[?), 8 tracks and reel to reels behind. Certainly not 37 million units with MEET and WDOLG.

Also, 9 of their 11 singles went #1 in the UK. WANNABE was a #1 hit across the board in at least 10 countries.

I'm not pro-Spice, but it's hard to deny the stats.