[REMOVE ADS]

Johnny Mathis Concert Review

Although I live in a somewhat rural area, we are fortunate to have a nice performing arts theater in a nearby college town and over the years, I have been able to see Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Patti Labelle, Bettye Lavette, Gladys Knight and other fine ladies of song.

But tonight for the first time ever I was able to see Johnny Mathis on his Voice of Romance tour. The man will turn 87 in a couple of weeks, so to even WANT to still be out there performing at that age is amazing.

The voice was in fine form and still shows quite the impressive range. He did all the major hits you would expect, with about a 30 piece orchestra behind him. Most of the songs were delivered in medley form but that was OK.

He opened the show with about a 35 minute set, and then comedian Gary Muledeer, whom I had actually heard of, entertained the crowd for maybe 20 minutes. Gary said he had been with Johnny for 28 years. Johnny then came back and closed out the show with another 45 minute set.

Understandably, most of his numbers were the ballads he is famous for, but he did close out the evening with a rollicking version of Let the Good Times Roll, as he left the stage to a well-deserved standing ovation. Glad I got to see this legend after admiring him and collecting his music for the better part of 50 years.

One of my Dad's favourite singers.

Good to hear he is still going strong.

Thanks for the review. I had the great pleasure of seeing Johnny Mathis in September of 2019, just before his 84th birthday. It was an awesome show and he looked and sounded many years younger. He really has kept his voice in great shape. Truly a consummate entertainer.

What a great talent. How lucky we are to have had him so long and especially for how prolific he has been in his recordings. I was seriously considering buying his complete Columbia albums box set, except that I have so many of them already on CD and they did finally release the previously vaulted album which was one of the hooks to get you to buy the box set.

I will say I found his voice to have deteriorated somewhat in the last album released, and I was surprised, because like Little Anthony, his voice just seemed to defy the ravages of time for so so very long. But that can hardly be considered to be a criticism, hopefully, considering the man’s incredible talent and his wonderful longevity.

Does Mathis ever sing songs from the first Thom Bell album? My wife and I have seen him twice [[not to long ago) and wanted to hear sing something from that album but he never did. I've read that he liked the album.

I saw Johnny in concert back in June at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. It was a great show and I have to say, Mr. Mathis' voice has aged well. It was a real entertaining evening and the only disappointment for me was that he didn't sing TOO MUCH, TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

I saw Johnny many years ago along with Jane Oliver. What a show. Then, she seemed to drop off the universe.

Glad he's still performing, a living legend!!

Ahh, JOHNNY MATHIS -- the love songs of my youth. I still have the albums
    "Johnny's Greatest Hits," "Heavenly" and "Faithfully." All wonderful, wonderful.
    I love every single one of his songs. He could sing the phone book.

I saw him perform at the outdoor Pine Knob Music Theater and also
    the Meadowbrook Music Festival outside of Detroit in the 80s.