[REMOVE ADS]

Motown and the royal family

As I reflect in these sad days I remember there are many connections between HRH The Queen, the British royal family and Motown. The Supremes & Diana separately appeared on several Royal Variety shows and were presented to The Queen. Marvin was a favourite of Princess Margeret [[even though nerves caused him to climb out of a bathroom window to avoid performing for her!). Of the army of other Motown artists who have performed in the UK does anyone know of any other connections to the royal family?

An interesting if debatable article:

Royal Family helped the Supremes and Motown Records become global sensations | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

I would say by 1968 The Supremes and other Motown performers were probably pretty well known by the British folks, lol......

The Jackson 5 did a Royal Variety Performance in 1972.

I saw a picture of The Jackson 5 being greeted by the Queen. Also a video of a grown Michael with Princess Diana.

Diana Ross performed at the Queen's Jubilee Celebrations this year.

[King] Charles was pretty enamoured of the Three Degrees. Not Motown, but worthy of note. In the UK it was the pirate radio stations that really popularised Motown over here. That and the fanatical adherence of the "Mods" to all black American Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed H View Post
    [King] Charles was pretty enamoured of the Three Degrees. Not Motown, but worthy of note. In the UK it was the pirate radio stations that really popularised Motown over here. That and the fanatical adherence of the "Mods" to all black American Music.
    I remember a pirate radio station called Radio Luxemburg that I used to listen to when I was in Germany in the sixties. I think it used to broadcast off ships near the UK. I was so thankful for that station and their constant playing of Motown. On days when it would not come through, I had to revert back to listening to AFN Radio and their easy listening type music

I'm not from the UK but I would think it was the Northern Soul movement from the 60's that really made many of these artist popular...and still popular today, especially the lesser known artists here in the States. I could be wrong though.