[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Alumni Association - has it faded away?

It's been some time since I have heard anything about the Motown Alumni Association and it's leader Billy Wilson.

Does anyone have any knowledge if they went out of business?

I was active in it about 25 or more years ago. I haven't heard a word about MAA in at least 10 yrs, maybe more, or from Billy Wilson for that matter.

I don't think it really served any kind of purpose

As I recall Billy Wilson would make posts on Yahoo groups stating that he and the MAA were planning a big Motown family reunion concert at a big Detroit venue such as Tiger Stadium, but nothing came of that.

And in the mid aughts, he was caught at some Inkster community festival by Katherine Anderson Schaffner promoting a fake Marvelettes group and she called him out online for that. After that incident he pretty much vanished from the net.

Only thing I recall MAA ever doing was getting Claudette Robinson, the Queen of Motown, to record a public service radio announcement asking parents if they knew where their kids were. I never heard it so it could have been another proposed project that never happened.

The MAA may have also had on their website some sort of page devoted to fake Motown groups to serve as a warning to fans not to go to such shows. But again my memory may not be accurate on that and it could have been some other site.

Billy Wilson posts regularly on Facebook.

“Claudette Robinson, Queen of Motown”

Yeah, and I am King of England.

Just occurred to me that Claudette is billed as the "First Lady of Motown" not the "Queen of Motown". Sorry about that. Although I know Roberta here considers Dr. Martha Reeves to be the First Lady of Motown.

Thanks for info on Billy Wilson, so he's still posting and the MAA site is occasionally updated. So they're still kicking. However the lay out of the MAA page doesn't look like it's been updated since the early 00's. I'm having flashbacks to the glory days of GeoCities looking at the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Just occurred to me that Claudette is billed as the "First Lady of Motown" not the "Queen of Motown". Sorry about that. Although I know Roberta here considers Dr. Martha Reeves to be the First Lady of Motown.
    I insist on it because its true. Dr Reeves IS THE FIRST LADY OF MOTOWN RECORDS.