[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED was the second single released from their debut album.
    Ah ok you are correct . Odd that it barely nicked the Hot 100 as a follow up to a hit.
    I just listened to it on YouTube expecting to say , “no wonder, it was a piece of crap”, but actually it’s pretty good.
    But by Midway I turned it off because I felt like I was being yelled at.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-14-2022 at 01:18 PM.

I think Love Is All You need was a killer track, but is it really pop music hit material? I don't think so, it's too frantic.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I think Love Is All You need was a killer track, but is it really pop music hit material? I don't think so, it's too frantic.
    I think it suffers from too many choruses and not enough lyrics. From their debut lp I'd have gone with Save It For A Rainy Day as the second single, delightful Jackson 5 pop fluff but with a little funk. Another potential single was Some Kinda Magic.

Off the second lp I hear no singles other than Lovin' Fever. I hear no hit singles off most of their lps until the 1980s. The High Inergy and So Right lp was rife with potential hit singles.

Yes. And the chorus too shrill. You don't blast your partner into loving you! lol!

This is the Pointer Sisters boisterous approach that works for me in measured doses only.

Added: Personal preferences aside .... this sounds like Top 40 material, not Top 10 perhaps, but Top 40 yes, and the performance supporting it , top notch
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-16-2022 at 02:53 PM.

I agree that Save It For a Rainy Day should have been the second single. I also felt their song Devotion could have been a hit.

Looks like SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY was the b-side of YOU CANT TURN ME OFF. I’m noticing a pattern in the songs ….. giving directives to their mate .
    RAINY DAY , too bad it wasn’t a split hit , because it is pretty good , although I find the song’s point a bit difficult to sort out. [?]

LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED was a good choice imo in that its blastiness reinforced the group’s name.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-17-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Hi Boogsie baby. High Inergy live clips are few and far between, even the lip syncing videos are super rare so I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were in the clip of Love Is All You Need. Very entertaining and visually interesting. Barbara and Vernessa were fantastic singers.

Hey Bobby C! I get the impression they were willing to put in the work, and yes they had the chops.
    Was thinking , too bad they didn’t set up an association with the Commodores in the same way the Emotions got handled by EW&F.

I have no explanation as to why the group went nowhere. I recall thinking this newest record would be "the one" but it just didn't happen. Radio in Buffalo played Blame It On Love with Smokey a couple of times, but the group had already split up. So many missed chances.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I think it suffers from too many choruses and not enough lyrics. From their debut lp I'd have gone with Save It For A Rainy Day as the second single, delightful Jackson 5 pop fluff but with a little funk. Another potential single was Some Kinda Magic.

Off the second lp I hear no singles other than Lovin' Fever. I hear no hit singles off most of their lps until the 1980s. The High Inergy and So Right lp was rife with potential hit singles.

"Love is All You Need" reminds me a little of "Got My Mind Made Up' by Instant Funk. It gets to a crescendo too quickly and then never lets up, which I think gives it the "too frenetic" quality. It is a good song though and I think a great performance by IE. "Mind Made Up" is a great song too, except for the irritating "Say whaaat?" which is repeated too many times ad nauseum...!

Hee hee--good points! To be clear, I LOVE High Inergy's Love Is All You Need--I just didn't think it was a pop single.

Probably when the lead singer dropped out after the second album, Berry Gordy having been through all this before, lost what little interest he had in yet another volatile girl group.

Until now I was only familiar with Tata Vega’s recording of "Love Is All You Need"!! I still prefer her version, but High Inergy’s is pretty good too.