[REMOVE ADS]

Where does he FIND these photos? The Marvelettes Playboy album cover photo shoot

There is a collector on Pinterest, Bradley H., who has consistently come up with some of the most amazing Motown photographs in general and photos of the Marvelettes in particular. I have no idea where he's finding them as the Ebay well for rare Motown photos seems to have run dry some years ago. This one from the "Playboy" album cover photo shoot is the best I've ever seen of the early group. They look absolutely stunning- youthful and sophisticated at the same time.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61502351153488139/Name:  b6ad384b77c5686ddcdb967332df3695.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  70.3 KB

Cool photo, but where's Kenny's favorite and mine -- Wanda?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Cool photo, but where's Kenny's favorite and mine -- Wanda?
    Bradley's comments say that Wanda was missing due to being pregnant, but we know she IS on the album cover. My guess is that they did photos with all five and then photos with four, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Bradley's comments say that Wanda was missing due to being pregnant, but we know she IS on the album cover. My guess is that they did photos with all five and then photos with four, just in case.
    Thanks for the explanation, Waiting. I figured it was something like that, or part of the transition period between Gorgeanna, Juanita, and Wanda. BTW, is it just me, or does the girl on the left look amazingly like Flo Ballard?
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-31-2022 at 03:13 AM.

Who’s the guy in the picture!? [perhaps an impossible question]
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-31-2022 at 05:10 AM.

That's a wonderful [and historic] photo of The Marvelettes. Thanks WatchingWaiting for sharing!!

The one of the Elgins is awesome. Maybe there are others out there somewhere that we have not seen. Thank you for sharing this. Valid point. I keep seeing the same ones over and over again on the Elgins.

Great photos! We have a member brad_supremes. Could it be his account? What a treasure trove of rare photos! Thanks for sharing.

The man in the Marvelettes photo’s pose looks very much like how he’s posing on the album cover except of course on the album cover he’s not on his knees. How fascinating, and yes I’m so glad they had a chance and could include Wanda on the cover!

On Facebook, I saw a very nice photo of Wanda that might have been taken at the same time as the photo in the first post, at least it seemed to have the same background. In any event, it was an alternate to the window shot of her from the PLAYBOY album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    BTW, is it just me, or does the girl on the left look amazingly like Flo Ballard?
    You mean Georgeanna? I hadn't thought of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Very nice photo. I first saw it in the Complete Motown Singles set. Makes me wish Motown had used this photo for The Elgins' "Darling Baby" album cover. Motown was very good for wasting lots of amazing photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Great photos! We have a member brad_supremes. Could it be his account? What a treasure trove of rare photos! Thanks for sharing.

The man in the Marvelettes photo’s pose looks very much like how he’s posing on the album cover except of course on the album cover he’s not on his knees. How fascinating, and yes I’m so glad they had a chance and could include Wanda on the cover!
    This Bradley has another incredible photo of the Marvelettes in performance. They are in yellow dresses and look fantastic! I posed the question a few years ago, asking what magazine this had appeared in, but never got a reply. Hopefully, this isn't the brad_supremes of Soulful Detroit. I've had nothing but good conversations with him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    That's a wonderful [and historic] photo of The Marvelettes. Thanks WatchingWaiting for sharing!!
    You're welcome!

Wow,fantastic i luuuuuv these rare photos..more,more,more!!!

Nice - I hope you continue to post others.