[REMOVE ADS]

The Hollywood Bowl

Diana Ross’ show at the Hollywood Bowl last night was truly fantastic. The sold out crowd loved her. The highlight of the show was from the new album. She did an awesome performance of “Tomorrow” and sang “Beautiful Love” for Evan on his birthday. She looked so beautiful and her vocals were in top form. I really loved this show. I am so happy and grateful that I was able to attend.

Glad you enjoyed yourself V! Good to hear she was in good voice, especially in light of the conversations during her early tour a couple months ago about whether it was time for her to hang it up. Every time they count my girl out, she pops up to remind them who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed yourself V! Good to hear she was in good voice, especially in light of the conversations during her early tour a couple months ago about whether it was time for her to hang it up. Every time they count my girl out, she pops up to remind them who she is.
    You are so right. I was a bit nervous. I was really concerned about the voice.
    I was going with a group that has never seen her live. And believe me she didn’t disappoint. She sounded so good. It brought tears to my eyes.

i was told she got a throat infection while on tour that plagued her
    she is well rested now

Here she is from Hollywood Bowl Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i was told she got a throat infection while on tour that plagued her
    she is well rested now
    I haven’t seen or read this anywhere david. Do you mind me asking your source. It certainly would explain her less then stellar vocals at many of the UK concerts.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-28-2022 at 11:25 AM.

bluebrock??

She certainly looks and sounds a lot more relaxed, though the backing singers are still having to work extremely hard as was pointed out to me when i saw her recently at Longleat
    ”Beautiful Love” is totally lip synched, making it impossible to know what she actually sounds like. “Tomorrow” is much the same, although you can faintly hear her voice on a line or two.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Diana Ross’ show at the Hollywood Bowl last night was truly fantastic. The sold out crowd loved her. The highlight of the show was from the new album. She did an awesome performance of “Tomorrow” and sang “Beautiful Love” for Evan on his birthday. She looked so beautiful and her vocals were in top form. I really loved this show. I am so happy and grateful that I was able to attend.
    I was there, too, Vgalindo! I had posted in another thread that I would be one of those who would be there to just enjoy being in her presence. [All the negative comments and “critiques” of her 78 year old self and voice from some here ignored and banished! !🙂]
    This was a birthday gift from my beloved. I was touched and moved remembering the first time hearing Stop! on the radio at age 11 as I now saw the whole sold-out Hollywood Bowl singing and doing the iconic hand gesture with her. 😯 And so it went with every song. It was especially wonderful to see many young people.
    She did full renditions of Stop!, Come See About Me, Baby Love, You Can’t Hurry Love and Love Child. All her solo #1s except Touch Me & Endless Love. My favorites were It’s My House, Don’t Explain [for Berry Gordy] and Beautiful Love [for Evan’s birthday, not mine].
    My beloved is a Chaka fan but he enjoyed it all as much as I did. Everyone stood up as soon as she appeared and we were all pretty much up, moving and singing and celebrating most of the time. My beloved & I did have to sit sometimes because of our baby-boomer hips and feet. 🙄🙂

Why is that microphone control gadget permanently fastened to the front of her frock?. Not only does it look rather ugly, but the fact she keeps fiddling with it every two minutes is most distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Why is that microphone control gadget permanently fastened to the front of her frock?. Not only does it look rather ugly, but the fact she keeps fiddling with it every two minutes is most distracting.
    I get the sense that this gadget allows her to turn her vocal playback on and off, as well as adjust her in-ear monitors. She seemed to start using it when she performed at the Queen's Jubilee and throughout the UK tour.

Glad to read these glowing reviews from those who attended. She does look fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I was there, too, Vgalindo! I had posted in another thread that I would be one of those who would be there to just enjoy being in her presence. [All the negative comments and “critiques” of her 78 year old self and voice from some here ignored and banished! !]
    This was a birthday gift from my beloved. I was touched and moved remembering the first time hearing Stop! on the radio at age 11 as I now saw the whole sold-out Hollywood Bowl singing and doing the iconic hand gesture with her.  And so it went with every song. It was especially wonderful to see many young people.
    She did full renditions of Stop!, Come See About Me, Baby Love, You Can’t Hurry Love and Love Child. All her solo #1s except Touch Me & Endless Love. My favorites were It’s My House, Don’t Explain [for Berry Gordy] and Beautiful Love [for Evan’s birthday, not mine].
    My beloved is a Chaka fan but he enjoyed it all as much as I did. Everyone stood up as soon as she appeared and we were all pretty much up, moving and singing and celebrating most of the time. My beloved & I did have to sit sometimes because of our baby-boomer hips and feet. 
    So glad you had a lovely evening. My nephew and his husband were there last night and Miss Ross dropped out Beautiful love but added Thank You as a encore. 78 years young and looking and sounding wonderful. May God continue to shine hios blessings down on this national treasure.

I was there, too, Vgalindo! I had posted in another thread that I would be one of those who would be there to just enjoy being in her presence. [All the negative comments and “critiques” of her 78 year old self and voice from some here ignored and banished! !]
    This was a birthday gift from my beloved. I was touched and moved remembering the first time hearing Stop! on the radio at age 11 as I now saw the whole sold-out Hollywood Bowl singing and doing the iconic hand gesture with her.  And so it went with every song. It was especially wonderful to see many young people.
    My beloved is a Chaka fan but he enjoyed it all as much as I did. Everyone stood up as soon as she appeared and we were all pretty much up, moving and singing and celebrating most of the time. My beloved & I did have to sit sometimes because of our baby-boomer hips and feet. 
    Yes this show was so special. I have seen Diana Ross live more times than I can remember. But this show brought tears to my eyes. Just to witness the love the audience gave to her.
    She truly did shine. The show was truly phenomenal. The group that I went with loved the show and they were not Diana Ross fans like us.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I get the sense that this gadget allows her to turn her vocal playback on and off, as well as adjust her in-ear monitors. She seemed to start using it when she performed at the Queen's Jubilee and throughout the UK tour.

Glad to read these glowing reviews from those who attended. She does look fabulous
    Many thanks for the info Carlo. I do wonder if she has problems with her hearing these days as she constantly seems to be adjusting it.
    Lip synching aside, it does sound like peeps managed to enjoy themselves which is what it’s all about. She certainly looks wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Many thanks for the info Carlo. I do wonder if she has problems with her hearing these days as she constantly seems to be adjusting it.
    Lip synching aside, it does sound like peeps managed to enjoy themselves which is what it’s all about. She certainly looks wonderful.
    You're welcome, Ollie. I've been wondering the same, in regards to her hearing.

Yes, I agree

Could it have been a specific problem at the Hollywood Bowl that was going on that night? In this video, Diana adjusts that button, then holds up two fingers as some kind of signal to the sound engineer or technician, which does not seem to be understood. Then she walks over to him and whispers something and then does her best to complete the song. But even after whispering to him, she seems a bit frustrated. Watch it now. Just a hunch, but I don't think the video will stay up too long

That thing attached around her waist seems to be a mike pac or something attached to the sound monitors. Either she or the sound monitor were having problems with it. If her problems are the fault of the sound engineer, I would hate to be him after the show. If she is having a problem because of her own hearing problem, bless her. I'm of her generation and even with my hearing aids, it can be a struggle. In either case, this lady is a trooper and continues to entertain us. Thank you

Yes ....of course...
    Bluebrock and I keep in touch
    Last edited by daviddh; 08-28-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Yes ....of course...
    Bluebrock and I keep in touch
    Please send that dear man my love and best wishes.

Thank you.

She may be having hearing problems due to her age, but I also suspect that performing with in ear monitors may not be natural for her as a performer. She's an old school performer and there was no such technology available when she was cutting her chops as a live performer.

Beautiful Love:

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Could it have been a specific problem at the Hollywood Bowl that was going on that night? In this video, Diana adjusts that button, then holds up two fingers as some kind of signal to the sound engineer or technician, which does not seem to be understood. Then she walks over to him and whispers something and then does her best to complete the song. But even after whispering to him, she seems a bit frustrated. Watch it now. Just a hunch, but I don't think the video will stay up too long
    Yeah it all has something to do with what I mentioned earlier...her vocal playback. At the beginning of Do You Know, you can hear her singing along with her vocal playback, which wasn't supposed to be playing [this same issue happened at the Queen's Jubilee]. I think the device she has is supposed to allow her to turn the playback on and off, or at least signals to the audio tech guy to turn it on and off. She had to go over to him to turn it off, so she could sing live, but then it seemed her mic was turned way down. It's clear to me she was unhappy with the sound guy and rightfully so. The Hollywood Bowl is a high profile gig, so he needed to be on top of the sound at all times.

I think she's dependent on playback for certain songs and/or certain nights now, depending on the overall state of her voice, but the related audio/tech issues seem to be an additional challenge.

I'm glad to read that despite the audio issues, everyone still had an amazing time! That's what it's all about, at the end of the day.

My favorites were It’s My House, Don’t Explain [for Berry Gordy] and Beautiful Love [for Evan’s birthday, not mine].
    Was Mr. Gordy present at the event, or did she just dedicate the song to him? Just curious as he's kept a pretty low profile as of late.
    Darin
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 08-29-2022 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Was Mr. Gordy present at the event, or did she just dedicate the song to him? Just curious as he's kept a pretty low profile as of late.
    Darin
    When she dedicated Don’t Explain to him, I believe she asked if he was there and looked at the VIP section. I don’t know if she got confirmation but she then did a wonderful rendition. Maybe Vgalindo knows. Our seats were in the middle, Row N.

hee haw ....

https://coretechsai.com/diana-ross-o...review-videos/

man, gotta love them titles Diana's being reported as having sung

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Darin
    I saw a clip from Saturday night and Miss Ross said before doing Dont Explain that "Berry Gordy was in the house last night"

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hee haw ....

LOL. Theyve just borrowed [[and badly butchered) from this review. https://liveforlivemusic.com/feature...deos-08-26-22/
    Last edited by Roberta75; 08-29-2022 at 03:36 PM.

I wonder if Berry, after attending a Ross show these days, still sends her a detailed critique of what she should work on to improve her performance?

Something wonderful
    In
    knowing Berry Gordy was there

It’s like watching and hearing a different person then the tired looking singer at Glastonbury and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I wonder if Berry, after attending a Ross show these days, still sends her a detailed critique of what she should work on to improve her performance?
    Maybe fidgeting with her mic pack is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Maybe fidgeting with her mic pack is one of them.
    I would think at 92 Mr Gordys got more things to worry about that Dianas mic pack. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    LOL. Theyve just borrowed [[and badly butchered) from this review. https://liveforlivemusic.com/feature...deos-08-26-22/
    “Ain’t No Mountain Excessive Sufficient" ?

he ha !! and don't forget the number Diana did originally recorded by Billie Vacation!!

hee haw ....

"Attain and Contact [Someone's Hand]"? 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    What a glowing review. “Don't Explain” sounds so polished i actually though she was lip synching. I so wish this had been the Diana we might have seen at Glastonbury, but hey ho.

Did you really find it glowing ? I thought it rather mundane/soft and marred by foul language.
    And who cares if the reviewer attended some other concert the night before by of all things , echo the the bunny men . That mattered why ?

did learn the Ross family flooded the stage to prance around. I hope that it was for IF THE WORLD JUST DANCED thst would seem most appropriate.

also why isn’t the reviews photo from the actual show?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-31-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Did you really find it glowing ? I thought it rather mundane/soft and marred by foul language.
    And who cares if the reviewer attended some other concert the night before by of all things , echo the the bunny men . That mattered why ?

did learn the Ross family flooded the stage to prance around. I hope that it was for IF THE WORLD JUST DANCED thst would seem most appropriate.

also why isn’t the reviews photo from the actual show?
    Well the reviewer seemed to like it an awful lot. Agree, could have done without the expletive Sounds like he was trying to sound hip but failing miserably.

Ollie9, that gizmo is not new. Back in the early 2000s I saw Mary Wilson as special guest at a Temptations show at the Vegas Hard Rock. It was a small stage and I was up close. She had a similar device in a tinyl [[very sparkly) purse. Like Diana she was constantly twiddling knobs on it. It obviously gave her some kind of playback so she could hear herself. And like Diana’s it clearly needed repeated setting. Didn’t stop Mary at all though, she sailed on just like Diana and was most definitely singing live.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Ollie9, that gizmo is not new. Back in the early 2000s I saw Mary Wilson as special guest at a Temptations show at the Vegas Hard Rock. It was a small stage and I was up close. She had a similar device in a tinyl [[very sparkly) purse. Like Diana she was constantly twiddling knobs on it. It obviously gave her some kind of playback so she could hear herself. And like Diana’s it clearly needed repeated setting. Didn’t stop Mary at all though, she sailed on just like Diana and was most definitely singing live.
    I have to say, it’s a new one on me Tony. Watching Diana constantly twiddling and fiddling with the gadget for me detracts from the emotion of any song she might be performing.
    I find it as distracting like people holding up their mobile phone throughout an entire concert.
    As Marvin once asked, What’s going on?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-08-2022 at 11:09 AM.

“Twiddling and fiddling” … perfect !! Lol!

Those things are not new. I always wondered why I didn’t see Diana or any other older performers have the ear pieces. A lot of old school performers have the big monitor/speakers on the stage. If you look carefully at younger performers they have pockets designed for their costumes with the pack tucked in. Diana would have to redesign all her stage costumes with pockets, which I’m sure would ruin the intricate beading. Or she could get new gowns designed with the pocket. She is simply, and I don’t mean this in a bad way, she is an older person struggling with modern technology.

*i would like to add. I like the new belts she hangs the pack on now. Nice touch. It reminds me of her outfit she wore while singing Eaten Alive at the American Music Awards. I always loved that look.
    Last edited by khansperac; 09-08-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Those things are not new. I always wondered why I didn’t see Diana or any other older performers have the ear pieces. A lot of old school performers have the big monitor/speakers on the stage. If you look carefully at younger performers they have pockets designed for their costumes with the pack tucked in. Diana would have to redesign all her stage costumes with pockets, which I’m sure would ruin the intricate beading. Or she could get new gowns designed with the pocket. She is simply, and I don’t mean this in a bad way, she is an older person struggling with modern technology.

*i would like to add. I like the new belts she hangs the pack on now. Nice touch. It reminds me of her outfit she wore while singing Eaten Alive at the American Music Awards. I always loved that look.
    Stevie Nicks has had an earpiece and pack tucked into a costume pocket at least since the 2016 tour; she, too, adjusts it frequently during her show.

hee haw ....

"Cease! With the Title of Love!" Just got a belly laugh out of that one!