[REMOVE ADS]

Song Lines Only Diana Could Pull Off:

Diana Ross was a master at phrasing the song lyrics given to her.
    Sometimes I think she got away with some lines that only someone with a talent like hers could.

Case in point from REMEMBER ME :

What can I do but wish you well
    What we had was really swell

really, could anyone else have pulled that one off so swell?

Any other examples come to mind??

NOt a song line, but the word "boy" always hit the sweet spot whenever she sang that word and likely elevated any lines that may have been dubious or not up to snuff.

I'm trying very hard ard to think of a single line but instead I keep coming to one song full of lines. One day, listening to "Everything's Good About You" it struck me that the lyrics are beautiful but they are also fairly basic phrases that have been in tons of songs-and yet HDH we're masters of building amazing impactful songs with basic phrases. What really impressed me about the song is how Diana makes these basic rhymes sound like the most profound ruminations ever committed to paper. Sure, others could sing that song, but to my ears, only Diana could make it work so spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I'm trying very hard ard to think of a single line but instead I keep coming to one song full of lines. One day, listening to "Everything's Good About You" it struck me that the lyrics are beautiful but they are also fairly basic phrases that have been in tons of songs-and yet HDH we're masters of building amazing impactful songs with basic phrases. What really impressed me about the song is how Diana makes these basic rhymes sound like the most profound ruminations ever committed to paper. Sure, others could sing that song, but to my ears, only Diana could make it work so spectacularly.
    I completely agree with you. For me, Diana's performance on this song, gave a wonderful insight into the massive success to come. Wonderful!

"Why" from the Temptations/DRATS album:

Her phrasing on the lines "Then you walked away I just stood there numb
    I had nothing to say
    Into the night you walked away with my life"

Also, from her duet with Marvin Gaye , "You Are Everything"
    "As he turned the corner, I called out your name. I felt so ashamed when it wasn't you."

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    "Why" from the Temptations/DRATS album:

Her phrasing on the lines "Then you walked away I just stood there numb
    I had nothing to say
    Into the night you walked away with my life"

Also, from her duet with Marvin Gaye , "You Are Everything"
    "As he turned the corner, I called out your name. I felt so ashamed when it wasn't you."
    Once again, I completely agree! Diana's ooooohs during the intro of You Are Everything can send shivers down my spine too!

Speaking of phrasing, does anyone know why Diana adopted adding the letter A at the end of almost every sentence? You hear it mostly when she sings live.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Once again, I completely agree! Diana's ooooohs during the intro of You Are Everything can send shivers down my spine too!
    Yes! This is one of those covers that rivals the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    NOt a song line, but the word "boy" always hit the sweet spot whenever she sang that word and likely elevated any lines that may have been dubious or not up to snuff.
    You're right ! That is one of her best words! Would be nice to have a list of her songs that include "boy".

Yes, not overplayed. Simple and sincere, not recited.
    Too bad she didn't say "boy' though .

Othe then the obvious home made jam line from “Shame” that Diana sings with such conviction, “Everything’s Good About You” is also the first song that sprung to mind.
    I kept trying to imagine what someone “full of clover bustin’ out all over” actually looks like. Diana sings it like she really does have some idea.

the love bug done bit me.

Ross only says it once , but it’s the perfect line to kick that song in gear right off the top.
    Not sure how the entirety of ITCHIN’ would’ve played out in the hands of someone else.
    Diana makes every line a joy.

So happy to see this thread - Diana’s phrasing is what really sets her apart in my eyes [[and ears)! It’s so hard to choose a specific example because there’s so many [[at least one in just about every Motown track in my book). Three of my favorites are in live renditions.

In Supremes In The Orient during “Back In My Arms Again” around 13:00 when she sings “…’cause all advice ever [[BRIEF PAUSE) got me was many long and sleepless nights…”
    https://youtu.be/HT9F60A__XQ?t=780
    It’s the pleasant piercing quality of her vocal and that brief pause that makes this stellar to me.

Another live example - “Reflections” on The Hollywood Palace at around 2:08 “…after all the nights, I sat alone and wept, just a handful of promises, are all that’s left of loving you…” - the way she sings “are all that’s left” in time with the drumbeats gives me life!
    https://youtu.be/P88lipvXnDc?t=128

Third one - “Love Is Like An Itchin’ In My Heart” on Ed Sullivan - the “oh, yeah” at 1:24 just drips with style and soul!
    https://youtu.be/5ks_VisXPOc?t=82

I could play this game all day!

I'm enjoying this so much....Here's my next entry...

Take Me Where You Go [[Smokey Robinson song).
    Diana sounds like a giddy young girl as she spouts out the lyrics EXCEPT, when all of a sudden, her voice seems to mature with her syrupy, elegant phrasing on:
    "You could be a prince or a pauper
    Or a shoemaker working with leather
    We could live in a palace or a hut [[so what?)
    As long as we're together
    Don't you ever leave me [[don't you go away)"

Also her performance of "I Want to Know Where Love Is" Motown at the Apollo??? The way she caresses the ending words of each phrase such as "...in case I'll need it when I'm older."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J04AbxJvus

Nice choice! Her “help me, somebody!” @ 1:30 in that clip is another nice touch…
    Also her performance of "I Want to Know Where Love Is" Motown at the Apollo??? The way she caresses the ending words of each phrase such as "...in case I'll need it when I'm older."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J04AbxJvus

"… and there ain't nothin' I can do about it!"

I think Diana does a great job with the opening verse of Surrender. She puts herself right into the position of a woman demanding attention from her man with a definite sense of I'm going to get my way. Diana very effectively sets aside her usual ballad orientated style of voice to that of a women taking control. I couldn't see another female Motown artist doing this.

I want the love that you deny me
    That I need so desperately
    The tenderness that you possess
    You've deprived me

"After you made me all your own
    Then you left me all alone
    You made your words sound so sweet
    knowing… that your love… I couldn't keep"

The whole song is pure Diana gold, but this bit is something else…

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Ah, yes! Another one in which the timbre of her voice and phrasing excels! You can hear the devastation and despair in her voice expecially as she cries out "I couldn't keep."

in a worn , torn dress somebody threw out.

LOVE CHILD

And you know that you must erase

All these tear stains from my face

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Othe then the obvious home made jam line from “Shame” that Diana sings with such conviction, “Everything’s Good About You” is also the first song that sprung to mind.
    I kept trying to imagine what someone “full of clover bustin’ out all over” actually looks like. Diana sings it like she really does have some idea.
    Ollie9, I am smiling as I read "full of clover bustin' out all over" because I thought the line was "four leaf clover bustin' out all over" HA HA. I did research to see that I was wrong. Reminds me of back in 1965-66, some of my Supremes fans and I were talking about the Supremes' version of "Lovers Concerto" from the Symphony album. One friend was swearing up and down that Diana was singing "See Berry on the hill...." instead of "see, there beyond the hill". Maybe someone will resurrect the thread about misheard lyrics.

Ollie9, I am smiling as I read "full of clover bustin' out all over" because I thought the line was "four leaf clover bustin' out all over" HA HA. I did research to see that I was wrong. Reminds me of back in 1965-66, some of my Supremes fans and I were talking about the Supremes' version of "Lovers Concerto" from the Symphony album. One friend was swearing up and down that Diana was singing "See Berry on the hill...." instead of "see, there beyond the hill". Maybe someone will resurrect the thread about misheard lyrics.
    LOL. It’s funny how we create our own version of lyrics we are not quite sure of.
    A song that immediately springs to mind is ”Eaten Alive”. Other then the chorus, my version and the lyrics that be can often end up sounding poles apart. “Pieces Of Ice” being another culprit.

Last night I attended a Duran Duran concert. Nile Rodgers and Chic opened. Rodgers/Chic did the big Chic hits as well as some of the hits Rodgers produced for other artists including Upside Down and I'm Coming Out. They put on a great show and the vocalists for Chic are excellent singers and performers. But yet.. there was just that "something" missing when they sang the two Diana hits that only Diana can bring to the song. And it was not just because my ears are so used to hearing Diana's voice on those songs, she just brings a special quality through her tone and phrasing that can take a song to a special place.

That being said, if Nile Rodgers/Chic come to a venue near you, check out their show. It was great. Duran Duran were good as well.

Last night I attended a Duran Duran concert. Nile Rodgers and Chic opened. Rodgers/Chic did the big Chic hits as well as some of the hits Rodgers produced for other artists including Upside Down and I'm Coming Out. They put on a great show and the vocalists for Chic are excellent singers and performers. But yet.. there was just that "something" missing when they sang the two Diana hits that only Diana can bring to the song. And it was not just because my ears are so used to hearing Diana's voice on those songs, she just brings a special quality through her tone and phrasing that can take a song to a special place.

That being said, if Nile Rodgers/Chic come to a venue near you, check out their show. It was great. Duran Duran were good as well.

No one can sing "I'm coming oooutt!!" like they've just sat on a big ol' pin quite like Diana Ross.

Reminds of how for years and years, I thought the lyrics in the second verse of Back In My Arms Again were...

It's easy for friends to say let him go,
    when I'm the one who needs some soul

I was pretty embarrassed when I realized what the correct lyrics were lol

I reckon Diana gave these lines in this song their best possible shot, but for me the payoff is the way she repeats even more pronouncedly her I really love you boy at 1:45

I completely understand what you're saying. The song "Come On Boy" is a gold mine for that. The way she draws that word out, languishing on it is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Oh Dear Lord, does she ever. I hadn't thought about that line but yeah, she makes it sound like, well of course that's such an everyday occurrence!

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    So happy to see this thread - Diana’s phrasing is what really sets her apart in my eyes [[and ears)! It’s so hard to choose a specific example because there’s so many [[at least one in just about every Motown track in my book). Three of my favorites are in live renditions.

In Supremes In The Orient during “Back In My Arms Again” around 13:00 when she sings “…’cause all advice ever [[BRIEF PAUSE) got me was many long and sleepless nights…”
    https://youtu.be/HT9F60A__XQ?t=780
    It’s the pleasant piercing quality of her vocal and that brief pause that makes this stellar to me.

Another live example - “Reflections” on The Hollywood Palace at around 2:08 “…after all the nights, I sat alone and wept, just a handful of promises, are all that’s left of loving you…” - the way she sings “are all that’s left” in time with the drumbeats gives me life!
    https://youtu.be/P88lipvXnDc?t=128

Third one - “Love Is Like An Itchin’ In My Heart” on Ed Sullivan - the “oh, yeah” at 1:24 just drips with style and soul!
    https://youtu.be/5ks_VisXPOc?t=82

I could play this game all day!
    It's 5 am. I can't sleep. I now know how to make the time count... I'm going to check out these performances!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Great one! I remember vividly, VIVIDLY, playing this song for the first time at the age of 12 and when Diana sang "LOOK AT ME!" I seriously was blown away. The record was already doing a number on my psyche but she hit that line and it was like nothing I'd ever heard before. That line still does something to me all these years later. It's like she's angry as hell AND mortality devastated at the same time.

Almost everything she sang had her stamp all over it.

Oh Dear Lord, does she ever. I hadn't thought about that line but yeah, she makes it sound like, well of course that's such an everyday occurrence!
    With clover being traditionally attractive to bees, i’m not really sure i would want it bustin’ out all over.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Speaking of phrasing, does anyone know why Diana adopted adding the letter A at the end of almost every sentence? You hear it mostly when she sings live.
    i'm not sure exactly of what you're referring to. but it might have to do with projection. the "AAAAAA" sound is a bright tone that naturally projects forward. it can help cut through the density of an orchestra better than a "oooo" or darker tone.

Also on big final notes, singers often tend to adjust through several tones. partially this is for projection and to add power to the sound. it also has to do with "opening" up the voice and the note, adding in vibrato, etc

In You Are Everything there's her opening phrase which is just so perfectly diana. the way she emphasizes the word "you", adding some breathiness to it to give it more emotion and passion.

Today i saw somebody. who looked just like YOU

With apologies to Pam Sawyer, even Diana couldn't pull off the lines "Came the telegram, mama passed away while making home-made jam" without attracting some ridicule from her fans.

We heard it on the telly, mama passed away while making homemade jelly....

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    We heard it on the telly, mama passed away while making homemade jelly....
    Not that i’m an expert on pulling things off, but it’s hard to imagine anyone else making this line sound as convincing as it invariably does.

Ollie:
    Not that i’m an expert on pulling things off, but it’s hard to imagine anyone else making this line sound as convincing as it invariably does.

hee haw !!!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-07-2022 at 01:34 PM.