[REMOVE ADS]

Yvonne Vernee of Elgins Fame Record Up for Auction

In my news bulletin from John Manship I noticed a record for sale by Yvonne Vernee, Just Like You Did Me b/w I'm In Love. This 45 was on the SonBert label #5842 which was located at 9031 12th Street in Detroit.

I was able to locate via YouTube a recording of this release. It is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI9Y4eHkIDg

Here is the real deal. It is up for auction through 9/7/22. The bidding started at *1.00 UK funds which is now at *2,618 UK funds which equal our money totaling $3,099 US funds.

This could, perhaps, set a world's record, I don't keep track of things like this.

A little bit of research tells me that this is the second release by her on this label. The first was SonBert 3475, It's Been a Long Time b/w Your Touch. I can only locate promo copies of the first one but there are photos of the first one on a commercial release label SonBert.

Does anyone know of a way I can listen to It's Been a Long Time by Yvonne? Has anyone ever heard this record?

Written and produced by William Weatherspoon.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  21.1 KB
    As you can see, the store stocker for that record WAS issued. I first bought that record in 1964 in Detroit in thrift shop for 10¢. It was a mint white DJ copy. Over the years I have seen maybe 75 DJ copies and about 6 or 7 store stockers. Lots of fairly rare Detroit regional records got to Chicago. I don't remember seeing that one, or "Just Like You Did Me" in the Chicago record shops. The white DJ copy DID make it into Chicago's thrift shops, junk/furniture shops, and flea markets/yard sales. Apparently there was a lot of movement between Detroit and Chicago back in the 1950s and 1960s!

During the early and mid 1960s, I used to drive from Chicago to Detroit one or two early Saturday mornings per month, just to look for obscure Detroit records all day long. Those were the good old days! Thousands of great records to hear for the first time! Like a treasure hunt every Saturday!

I can look at my thousands of records and still remember where and when I got them, even when I can't remember my own nieces and nephews names, and certainly not their kids' names! But, then, I often forget common words I've spoken for 75 years. I'm like Porky Pig I stop at the word I can't say [[because I've forgotten how to say it), after trying over and over [[sounding like stuttering), and give up trying, and say another sentence using equivalent words producing the same meaning, using all words I happen to be able to remember at that particular time. But my photographic memory provides me with a picture of myself finding the record, so I can see the surroundings and then remember what store or place it was, and who was there, etc. Life is strange! It's sort of like using poetry or singing to avoid stuttering. Something very memorable you might NEVER forget, whereas everyday things you've done or seen every day of your life, you might forget [[at least temporarily).

Is "So Much In Love" by Yvonne Vernie up on YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Is "So Much In Love" by Yvonne Vernie up on YouTube?
Views: 354
    Yes, it is on You-Tube. Here it is called "I'm In Love", as it was on SonBert, it was the same recording released on Correct-Tone. But, this recording is muddy.

The backing tracking for "Just Like You Did Me" gets recreated with a lot less oomph and lyrics "updated" on a newer 45-release called "You Did It". It was released on the revamped Brute label by Tony Clarke's son. I personally prefer "Just Like You Did Me", but Yvonne is a really great performer to this day and I thought people might like to hear what she's up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    The backing tracking for "Just Like You Did Me" gets recreated with a lot less oomph and lyrics "updated" on a newer 45-release called "You Did It". It was released on the revamped Brute label by Tony Clarke's son. I personally prefer "Just Like You Did Me", but Yvonne is a really great performer to this day and I thought people might like to hear what she's up to now.
Views: 266
    Yes, the arrangement is updated, and I think, weaker than The Funk Brothers' original. But worse than that, Yvonne's voice is clearly weaker than when she was young. She doesn't have the range that she once did, and accordingly, doesn't reach for note levels she knows she can't hit. So, her vocal, overall is more restrained, and less enjoyable [[to my taste). It happens to most singers who continue to perform at advanced age. It's great that she still performs, and worth hearing. But, unfortunately, not nearly as enjoyable as hearing an exceptional singer at the peak of his or her abilities. I noticed this problem, of aging, in my own shower singing! I will never take my act on the road, again!

I just got my listing of their records for the auction ending 9/7/22. As of now it is up to 3,268 British Pounds or $3,765 USD. A 21.5% increased in USD. Has it peaked?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    In my news bulletin from John Manship I noticed a record for sale by Yvonne Vernee, Just Like You Did Me b/w I'm In Love. This 45 was on the SonBert label #5842 which was located at 9031 12th Street in Detroit.

I was able to locate via YouTube a recording of this release. It is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI9Y4eHkIDg

Here is the real deal. It is up for auction through 9/7/22. The bidding started at *1.00 UK funds which is now at *2,618 UK funds which equal our money totaling $3,099 US funds.

This could, perhaps, set a world's record, I don't keep track of things like this.

A little bit of research tells me that this is the second release by her on this label. The first was SonBert 3475, It's Been a Long Time b/w Your Touch. I can only locate promo copies of the first one but there are photos of the first one on a commercial release label SonBert.

Does anyone know of a way I can listen to It's Been a Long Time by Yvonne? Has anyone ever heard this record?
    There are several copied on eBay, all much much cheaper!

https://tinyurl.com/2vrs2wdy

The two Yvonne Vernee 45's on Sonbert are big ticket items up to and over $3000 but only the stock copies, the white label demos are more plentiful & vary from $40-$100.
    However the rarest of her 45's is Correct-Tone 3178 Feb 1964. I have never seen one since 2012 when it was uploaded on youtube [[poor sound quality copy). The A side: "Does He Love Me Anymore" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9yZeEY1f8
    & the B side is "So Much In Love" [supposedly the same as the Sonbert B side ?? but slightly different title].
    I have the sound files for both the Sonbert 45's. If anyone wants the sound files just let me know & need an email or some other way?
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 09-10-2022 at 10:07 AM.