[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: He's All I Got

He's All I Got

I'm not a fan of "He's All I Got", but it's interesting to ponder how it may have done as a single. The track is nice, the storyline is cool, Diana's vocal is very good, and Flo and Mary are in top form. I think it had hit potential. I'm not convinced it would have been a #1, but I think top 10 isn't out of the question. The question is where in the timeline could it fit? It was recorded in early May 1965. Would it have done better as the follow up to "Back In My Arms Again" instead of "Nothing But Heartaches"? Might it have been better to follow "Symphony" with "All I Got" and push "My World" back to the spring of 66? Did it need a single mix, or fine as is?

Thoughts?

It’s a fine song but doesn’t jump out as “hit”. The chorus of “he’s all I got” is high in the vocal register and when you sing along it can be challenging. It’s just a bit too high and it can get a little nerve racking

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not a fan of "He's All I Got", but it's interesting to ponder how it may have done as a single. The track is nice, the storyline is cool, Diana's vocal is very good, and Flo and Mary are in top form. I think it had hit potential. I'm not convinced it would have been a #1, but I think top 10 isn't out of the question. The question is where in the timeline could it fit? It was recorded in early May 1965. Would it have done better as the follow up to "Back In My Arms Again" instead of "Nothing But Heartaches"? Might it have been better to follow "Symphony" with "All I Got" and push "My World" back to the spring of 66? Did it need a single mix, or fine as is?

Thoughts?

I think you hit the nail on the head when describing the song as being nice. It is, but as sup mentions, it just doesn’t jump out and make you sit up. I don’t consider it nearly as commercial as “Nothing But Heartaches” or Back In My Arms”.
    A very pleasant album track, but little more alas.

When "My World..." came out with "Everything..." as the flip, DJs were playing both sides with some commenting that "Everything..." was the better song.

When "Itching..." was released with "He's All I Got" as the flip, some DJs were not thrilled with the A-side but I didn't hear any of them play the flip, or comment about it. So, maybe that is an indication that the song might not have been a good choice as an A-side.

It's a favorite of mine but I think it would have just barely reached the Top 10. It's such a girl-group song/sound that it might have done okay if released instead of "Heartaches", probably charting similarly. I think "Everything..." should have followed "...Symphony" and then "My World..." in the Spring.

Interestingly, in early 1967 "There's No Stopping..." got radio airplay as a B-side, but 6 months later "Going Down...." didn't.

I've always liked it, good album cut. maybe in 64 it could of hit top ten,... but by 66 ,not sure .....it has that girl group sound that was popular early 60s.
    great stand out track. i say yes
    Last edited by daviddh; 08-20-2022 at 08:05 PM.

Nice but sounds dated for 1966. I much prefer 'Any Girl In Love' but there was nothing wrong with 'Nothing But Heartaches' which sounds even better today.

The “Go to him…tell him…” sections are pure gold to these ears…

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    The “Go to him…tell him…” sections are pure gold to these ears…
    It's really catchy.

I think this could have made a great single. To me it has a similar feel to "Back In My Arms Again" [especially in terms of its great storyline], but still has enough identity of its own.

I've always liked "Nothing But Heartaches" but I can see this one doing well too!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I think this could have made a great single. To me it has a similar feel to "Back In My Arms Again" [especially in terms of its great storyline], but still has enough identity of its own.

I've always liked "Nothing But Heartaches" but I can see this one doing well too!!
    I agree about the similarity, lyrically, between this and "Back", but the backing track lacks the punch of "Back", which was why I posed the question of if anyone thought a different mix would make a difference. And I agree about "Heartaches". It's still one of my all time favorites.

I've been listening to this song for years and trying to figure out why I can never fully get into it, why it seems to be lacking something. I think ejluther gave me the key at last; the "Go to him" sections are pretty darn tight. Everything comes together on these parts- a strong melody line that practically compels you to sing along at full strength; the musical arrangement is particularly strongest on these sections with a strong, robust brass section bolstering it's catchiness; and the melody line gives you something you can really sink your teeth into vocally.

By contrast, the chorus is the weakest link. There ain't much to do with it and even then, the backing vocals do ALL the heavy lifting. The lead has little to do in selling the chorus and even then, the lines could be sung freeform- there's not much to deal with as far as phrasing, so in the end, the lead just comes off as tossing off a couple of lines that have no real emotional impact.

I think the issue is that the hook here ISN'T the hook. The hook, the best part of "He's All I Got" is the part before the chorus.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 08-24-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I've been listening to this song for years and trying to figure out why I can never fully get into it, why it seems to be lacking something. I think ejluther gave me the key at last; the "Go to him" sections are pretty darn tight. Everything comes together on these parts- a strong melody line that practically compels you to sing along at full strength; the musical arrangement is particularly strongest on these sections with a strong, robust brass section bolstering it's catchiness; and the melody line gives you something you can really sink your teeth into vocally.

By contrast, the chorus is the weakest link. There ain't much to do with it and even then, the backing vocals do ALL the heavy lifting. The lead has little to do in selling the chorus and even then, the lines could be sung freeform- there's not much to deal with as far as phrasing, so in the end, the lead just comes off as tossing off a couple of lines that have no real emotional impact.

I think the issue is that the hook here ISN'T the hook. The hook, the best part of "He's All I Got" is the part before the chorus.
    i think this sums it up very well. there were some songs and hits that the verses might not have been a tight but the chorus is always where it's at. a super strong chorus can make up for weaker verses but not visa versa. the choruses are typically what people walk away humming to themselves

now i wonder if the song do have been adjusted to make the Go To Him the chorus

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think this sums it up very well. there were some songs and hits that the verses might not have been a tight but the chorus is always where it's at. a super strong chorus can make up for weaker verses but not visa versa. the choruses are typically what people walk away humming to themselves

now i wonder if the song do have been adjusted to make the Go To Him the chorus
    That's an interesting idea. That "Go to him" part is definitely the ear candy and strongest part of the record.

I'd never really listened to this song much before, but it's kind of similar in vibe and story line to "Stop! In the Name of Love," except the audience is the other woman!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'd never really listened to this song much before, but it's kind of similar in vibe and story line to "Stop! In the Name of Love," except the audience is the other woman!
    Very interesting observation Kenneth. I never thought of it that way. Maybe if the chorus was restructured to something like "Stop! He's All I Got"?

Very interesting observation Kenneth. I never thought of it that way. Maybe if the chorus was restructured to something like "Stop! He's All I Got"?
    Lol. That would have been a fun reference to Stop!

This has the same type of sonic and structural feel as the numerous Coke radio commercials they recorded. My favorite is this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    This has the same type of sonic and structural feel as the numerous Coke radio commercials they recorded. My favorite is this one.
    They should have released this as a single instead of “The Composer” lol. It sounds a mixture two or three other Motown songs.

A future YouTube mash-up! Or our expert friends can construct a medley of the two songs on the next expanded edition!

It is a decent song and Diana delivers a crisp vocal while Mary and Flo provide strong backup. I would have to say it probably would not have gone as far as you think. It definitely sounds dated now, which was not the case with everything else they released at the time. It is a standout track but not one that would have been a hit with the masses.

Diana’s sing song approach on HES ALL I GOT isn’t aching enough:

This is how you do these kinds of lyrics: