[REMOVE ADS]

Gerald Alston-"Gerald Alston [Expanded Edition]" [Streaming-Motown/UMe]

From SecondDisc.com-
    After leaving The Manhattans, singer Gerald Alston pursued a solo career with this 1989 self-titled debut. Fitting in nicely among the electronic soul of the day, single "Take Me Where You Want To" hit the Top 10 on
    Billboard's R&B charts. An extended version of third single "You Laid Your Love on Me" is this digital album's sole bonus track.

1. "Take Me Where You Want To"
    2. "Stay A Little While"
    3. "I Come Alive When I'm With You"
    4. "Let's Try Love Again"
    5. "Midnight Angel"
    6. "You Laid Your Love On Me"
    7. "I Can't Tell You Why"
    8. "I've Waited All Night"
    9."Activated"
    10. "We've Only Just Begun"
    11. "Still In Love With Loving You"
    12. "You Laid Your Love On Me' [Bonus Track/Extended Version]

Amazon-
    Gerald Alston [Expanded Edition] by Gerald Alston on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

iTunes-
    ‎Gerald Alston [Expanded Edition] by Gerald Alston on Apple Music

Oddly enough that's the same track list as on the original Motown CD from 1988 unless some run at different lengths maybe

MOTD6265
    Gerald Alston
    Gerald Alston
    Motown US CD 1988

Tracklist
    1 Take Me Where You Want To 6:22
    2 Stay A Little While 5:20
    3 I Come Alive When I'm With You 4:35
    4 Let's Try Love Again 4:39
    5 Midnight Angel 4:41
    6 You Laid Your Love On Me 4:54
    7 I Can't Tell You Why 4:07
    8 I've Waited All Night 5:09
    9 Activated 5:19
    10 We've Only Just Begun 4:24

Bonus Tracks*
    11 Still In Love With Lovin' You 4:43*
    12 You Laid Your Love On Me [[Extended Version) 7:05*

Hi!

Please find Gerald's own comments on that record below:

https://www.soulexpress.net/manhattans_part5.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Oddly enough that's the same track list as on the original Motown CD from 1988 unless some run at different lengths maybe

MOTD6265
    Gerald Alston
    Gerald Alston
    Motown US CD 1988

Tracklist
    1 Take Me Where You Want To 6:22
    2 Stay A Little While 5:20
    3 I Come Alive When I'm With You 4:35
    4 Let's Try Love Again 4:39
    5 Midnight Angel 4:41
    6 You Laid Your Love On Me 4:54
    7 I Can't Tell You Why 4:07
    8 I've Waited All Night 5:09
    9 Activated 5:19
    10 We've Only Just Begun 4:24

Bonus Tracks*
    11 Still In Love With Lovin' You 4:43*
    12 You Laid Your Love On Me [[Extended Version) 7:05*
    Yes It Is! I looked up Gerald Alston's Motown LP on Discogs and "Still In Love With Lovin' You" & the extended version of "You Laid Your Love On Me" appeared as bonus tracks on the CD & Cassette versions of the album in 1988. The article I found from Second Disc failed to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Please find Gerald's own comments on that record below:

https://www.soulexpress.net/manhattans_part5.htm

Best regards
    Heikki
    Great Article about The Manhattans & interview with Gerald Alston about his solo years away from the group. Thanks for your work; Best always to You & Yours.

I like that article which is well written and contains just the right amount of detail.

I have Gerald's 3 CDs on Motown, "Gerald Alston", "Open Invitation" and "Always In The Mood" but there is a 4th which is some sort of promotional album of a "European Tour 1991" which seems expensive to acquire.

Thanks Heikki, thorough and accurate as ever!

It was such a pleasure, and a gift to meet Gerald, when he made his UK Motown Radio Tour for his debut album, such a great personality, I often think he does not receive the crredit he richly deserves, Levi Stubbs will always be my all time favourite, every radio interview was such a pleasure, and so many performances that we promoted in NW UK, but Gerald is a close second for me, followed by Eddie Levert, Eddie Kendricks, the likes of we will never see again.

The Manhatttans, should have been given far more respect, and Gerald made them.

I like that article which is well written and contains just the right amount of detail.

I have Gerald's 3 CDs on Motown, "Gerald Alston", "Open Invitation" and "Always In The Mood" but there is a 4th which is some sort of promotional album of a "European Tour 1991" which seems expensive to acquire.
    I have the first two, Mystery. I wasn't aware there was a 3rd nor a 4th. Is "Always In The Mood" any good?

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1412960?ev=rb
    Special international version contains 5 bonus tracks

Thanks, Jack!

As an example here's the oprnong track from "Always In The Mood" which is Al Green's "Love and Happiness".

https://www.google.com/search?q=gera...client=gws-wiz

Gerald, came in for a radio interview, when I was at the commercial radio station in Liverpool, at the time of The European Tour 1991, still got my signed copy of the European Tour Promo CD, what a gentleman Gerald always is! Even in the last released tracks with the current Manhattans, he is on Top of his game! with a superb vocal.

As an example here's the oprnong track from "Always In The Mood" which is Al Green's "Love and Happiness".

https://www.google.com/search?q=gera...client=gws-wiz
    Thanks for providing a sample, mysterysinger. I hate to say it, but that version of Al Green's chestnut is horrible! They even changed the chords of the song which makes it nearly unrecognizable. I'm glad I didn't discover the CD and buy it. I would have been disappointed. Just curious here -' do you like it?

I'd say the album is on a par with his earlier 2 Motown outings. It is of its time with a contemporary [[for then) feel. Lovely vocals from Gerald. Somehighlights for me "PeaceOf Mind", "Always In The Mood" and "I Appreciate Your Love". Worth having the album but go for the UK or EU versions which have a nicer [[dark) cover and have 13 tracks [[the US version has a light blue cover and has only 10 tracks).

01 Love And Happiness 3:49
    02 Good To Go 4:10
    03 One Touch [[Full Of Love) 4:25
    04 Always In The Mood 4:16
    05 World Of Ours 4:42
    06 Send For Me 6:22
    07 Hell Of A Situation [[Backroom Conversation) 5:01
    08 What's The Color Of Love 4:45
    09 I'm Still In Love With You 4:26
    10 Someone Like You 5:08
    11 Any Day Now [[Remix) 3:47
    12 Peace Of Mind 5:05
    13 I Appreciate Your Love 4:47

Thanks for the Gerald Austin tracklist, mysterysinger. The first thing I noticed was that Gerald had once again dipped his toe into the Al Green songbook with "I'm Still In Love With You", only to discover that the song is actually "Still In Love With Loving You" -- but that's okay. I like the song a lot. I also checked out the other songs you recommended as well as a few others on your tracklist. Not a bad album at all! I like your album cover much better than the U.S. version which looks like an old Atlantic LP cover from the '60s. I also listened to a few other tracks which I liked as well. Overall, it's an enjoyable outing! As far as bonus tracks go, you guys always seem to get bonus tracks for free which we have to pay extra for via import CDs [[with a hefty price to boot)!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-06-2022 at 02:23 AM.

Gary, if you don't mind a used copy I suggest you try Decluttr_store [[USA) or MusicMagpie [[UK) or Momox [[Germany) because as well as a cheap CD and cheap shipping, they also show the proper EAN / ID number for the CD so you know exactly which version you're ordering. EG 0731453013421 [[UK/EU),
    0737463635325 [[USA), 0020831449922 [[JAPANESE?)

Perhaps also try Discogs.

Not sure how well these'll work for you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304459125...3ABFBM-InF0PVg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363209848...Bk9SR5TaktH1YA