[REMOVE ADS]

The Elgins - "All For Just Lovin' You"

Not one you hear very often - but I do love The Elgins.

You're not alone in your love for the Elgins. Thanks for posting. They are a super colossal group whose talent did not reach the heights that it should have. Thank goodness for the excellent Anthology that Paul Nixon helped create.

Great recording. I don't remember this, was it a 45?

It was on their 2 CD anthology. Has a similar feel to "It's Been a Long Long Time" for me especially with the lovely organ.

https://www.discogs.com/release/9225...town-Anthology

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Great recording. I don't remember this, was it a 45?
    I have it that it was unreleased

edafan

Great track!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-19-2022 at 09:26 PM.

The lead on "All For Just Lovin' You" is Saundra Mallet [[Edwards) not Yvonee Vernee Allen as confirmed by DFTMC. It was recorded 1967 so too early for Yvonne. Their voices are quite different.

Sorry mystery, you’re right! I was listening to the Yvonne-led tracks from the Motown Anthology and got confused!

Here’s one I like with Yvonne singing lead:

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-19-2022 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks Mystery Singer for reminding us of thiscriminally underrated group and that track I’d forgotten, it’s excellent. Saundra’sbeautifully haunting, aching voice found a home in many a Brit sixties soulie’sheart. And on her Motorcity recordings that voice was still all there on slow &faster material. I’m also a massive fan of Yvonne Vernee/Allen whose voiceis completely different but has given The Elgins a new lease of life for thelast 39+ years. Saundra’s original “Heaven” is classic but Yvonne’s version toBonnie Pointer’s arrangement is irresistible. The album in Tomato Tom’s postingis an excellent showcase from jazzy “Take The Train” thru soulful “Don’t WaitAround” to floorshaker “Nothing Worse Than Being Alone”. The boys in the bandshouldn’t be overlooked either, Johnny Dawson cowrote several Motown songs, theybacked Marvin Gaye on some recordings and Yvonne was very proud in one video interviewof the stage dress Cleo had bought her! The Johnny-led cuts on James Brown,Wilson Picket, Shorty Long songs on the Anthology CD are strong. How I lovethis group

Yes I love the backing harmonies of the lads - "you know I've been all over the world...searching for someone like you...much to my suprise" etc. Great version of "When You Are Available" too.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-20-2022 at 10:06 AM.