[REMOVE ADS]

Missing Greatest Hits albums

For the 60s and DR early hits we got excellent GH sets in the States. But that’s really it

So if you had to do 10-12 tracks, what would you do as GHs for the Jean years, the Scherrie years, the RCA years or DR Motown II?

What alt versions would you select or unreleased tracks? Single versions versus album versions? A live track or two?

Sort of off topic- but on topic [[if that makes sense). Just the other day I came across an article that said “Greatest Hits” albums are a casualty of the streaming era. No need to buy them. People pretty much make their own greatest hit compilations by just streaming or downloading songs they like. Some don’t even buy whole albums anymore. Just a few select songs they like.

It's always been curious to me that when AT THEIR BEST was released in the UK it had 14 tracks, but by the time it was released in the US it dropped to 10.

For the seventies Supremes greatest hits collection, IÂ’d focus on those songs the average fan would be most familiar with and those likely to generate interest from the public at large.

The Seventies Supremes: [[lp version on all songs)
    Up The Ladder
    EverybodyÂ’s Got The Right
    Stoned Love
    River Deep, Mountain High
    Nathan Jones
    Floy Joy

Automatically Sunshine
    Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love
    Bad Weather
    I Guess IÂ’ll Miss The Man
    HeÂ’s My Man
    IÂ’m Gonna Let My Heart

The RCA Years CD I wish had been released would have covered her US pop and R&B hits as well as UK hits. Limiting the set to 12 tracks:

The RCA Years:
    Why Do Fools
    Chain Reaction [[lp version)
    All Of You
    Missing You [[lp version)
    Swept Away [[lp version)
    Pieces Of Ice [[lp version)
    Mirror, Mirror [[lp version)
    So Close [[single version)
    Telephone [[lp version)
    Muscles [[extended version)
    Eaten Alive [[extended version)
    Work That Body [[lp version)

However, the collection I wish had been released would have included six additional tracks to complete the collection:

Touch By Touch
    Dirty Looks
    LetÂ’s Go Up
    Summertime
    Experience
    Its Hard For Me To Say

Side A:
    1. Up The Ladder To The Roof [mono mix]
    2. Stoned Love [album version]
    3. River Deep-Mountain High
    4. Nathan Jones
    5. Floy Joy [70's anthology version]
    6. Bad Weather [greatest hits and rare classics version]
    Side B:
    7. He's My Man [extended version]
    8. Bend A Little
    9. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking [original Terrana mix]
    10. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You [original Terrana mix]
    11. You're What's Missing In My Life [original Terrana mix]
    12. Let Yourself Go

Supremes At Their Best vol 1
    up the ladder to the roof
    life beats
    bad weather
    everybodys got the right to love
    touch [[new version)
    your wonderful sweet love dance mix
    floy joy
    stoned love
    nathan jones
    automatically sunshine
    when can brown begin
    river deep mountain high
    love train
    soft days

Supremes at their best 2
    hes my man
    color my world blue
    bend a little
    we should love again
    high energy
    your whats missing original Terrna mix
    Gonna let my heart
    let your self go
    sweet dream machine
    you are the heart of me

DR RCA
    why do fools fall
    mirror
    muscles
    who
    thats how you start over
    missing you
    swept away
    hard for me to say
    all of you
    chain reaction
    crimes of passion
    i'm watching you
    summertime
    dirty looks
    you do it
    love lies

In the early 70s, Motown planned greatest hits collections for the Jean Supremes and, I believe, Diana entitled Gold, but they got shelved.

In Japan they released loads of these compilations

The UK is awash with Diana Ross Greatest Hits Albums - every one goes Gold or Platinum.

Inexplicable because they're mostly the same tracks placed in a different order!

The biggest seller is 1993's One Woman The Ultimate Collection which is 4 times Platinum.

Since then there has been:

1996 Voice Of Love - Gold
    2007 Love & Life - The Very Best Of - Platinum
    2011 The Greatest Gold

But just look at 1979 -1984

1979 20 Golden Greats - Platinum
    1981 All The Greatest Hits - Platinum
    1982 Love Songs - Platinum
    1982 Love Songs - Diana & Michael Jackson - Platinum
    1984 Portrait - Gold

Plus she had a Diana's Duets Album in 1982.

And in 1976 there was Greatest Hits 2 which sold over 400k but no certifications were claimed.

For Greatest Hits Albums I would simply choose the tracks which were the biggest.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    The UK is awash with Diana Ross Greatest Hits Albums - every one goes Gold or Platinum.

Inexplicable because they're mostly the same tracks placed in a different order!

The biggest seller is 1993's One Woman The Ultimate Collection which is 4 times Platinum.

Since then there has been:

1996 Voice Of Love - Gold
    2007 Love & Life - The Very Best Of - Platinum
    2011 The Greatest Gold

But just look at 1979 -1984

1979 20 Golden Greats - Platinum
    1981 All The Greatest Hits - Platinum
    1982 Love Songs - Platinum
    1982 Love Songs - Diana & Michael Jackson - Platinum
    1984 Portrait - Gold

Plus she had a Diana's Duets Album in 1982.

And in 1976 there was Greatest Hits 2 which sold over 400k but no certifications were claimed.

For Greatest Hits Albums I would simply choose the tracks which were the biggest.
    yes and you guys got an earlier 70s GH set from Diana too.

with this thread though, i was thinking less about later compilations and more like a current GH. so in early 73 maybe doing a Jean-years set. in 88 doing an RCA set, etc.

and in the US too cuz international DID get a jean-years GH! lol it's not fair lol

here's an idea for a Motown Part II Greatest Hits for Diana

If we hold on
    Bottom Line
    This House
    when you tell me
    Heart don't change my mind
    good morning heartache [[from Stolen Moments)
    your love
    your gonna love it [[steve hurley remix)
    take me higher
    if you're not gonna love me right
    i thought we were still in love
    until we meet again [[hex hector remix)
    sugarfree
    Carry on

Through the years I've compiled GH compilations for myself. These are my picks from a couple of years ago. I might tweak a few at some point.

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 5 ‘70-’73
    Side 1
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    Stoned Love
    Life Beats
    Nathan Jones
    Floy Joy
    Bad Weather

Side 2
    Up The Ladder To The Roof
    Bill, When Are You Coming Back
    River Deep, Mountain High
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart
    Automatically Sunshine
    Touch

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 6 ‘74-’76
    Side 1
    High Energy
    I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
    Let Yourself Go
    Don’t Wanna Be Tied Down
    You’re My Driving Wheel
    You Are The Heart Of Me

Side 2
    He’s My Man
    Where Do I Go From Here
    Color My World Blue
    You’re What’s Missing In My Life
    Give Out, But Don't Give Up
    Don't let My Teardrops Bother You

I always felt that there should have been a collection that focused on their first 6 singles, none of which were included on their GH collections from 1967 or 1969.

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 4 ‘61-’63
    Side 1
    Your Heart Belongs To Me
    A Breathtaking Guy
    Time Changes Things
    Let Me Go The Right Way
    He Means The World To Me
    You Bring Back Memories

Side 2
    I Want A Guy
    Who’s Lovin’ You
    Buttered Popcorn
    [The Man With The] Rock & Roll Banjo Band
    My Heart Can’t Take It No More
    I’m Giving You Your Freedom [Alternate Mix] - {Thanks, RanRan, for pointing out this alternate mix in one of your posts from a while ago. I love it.}

I also felt the 1969 Volume 3 should have excluded the 2 songs that were already on the 1967 GH and included the duets with The Temptations.

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 3 ‘67-’69
    Side 1
    Someday We’ll Be Together
    Reflections
    Love Child
    I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
    In And Out Of Love
    I’m Livin’ In Shame

Side 2
    Forever Came Today
    Some Things You Never Get Used To
    I’ll Try Something New
    The Composer
    No Matter What Sign You Are
    The Young Folks

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    In the early 70s, Motown planned greatest hits collections for the Jean Supremes and, I believe, Diana entitled Gold, but they got shelved.
    Wasn't there also a planned GH set preceding the 1967 set, titled Pure Gold, or just Gold? Can't remember which.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Wasn't there also a planned GH set preceding the 1967 set, titled Pure Gold, or just Gold? Can't remember which.
    Yes, Pure Gold was planned for a summer release in 1966. Motown assigned it catalog number MS-648 but shelved it and released A' Go-Go.

My 12 70s GH set would be

1. Ladder
    2. Right To Love
    3. Stoned Love
    4. Nathan Jones
    5. Floy Joy
    6. Automatically Sunshine
    7. River Deep
    8. Bad Weather
    9. He's My Man
    10. Let my Heart
    11. You're What's Missing
    12. Driving Wheel

Whenever I think of Greatest Hits, I think of songs that were indeed hits either by single release or FM play album cuts. These would fall into the biggest of those.

The Dutch record company Disky released a licensed Diana Ross compilation in 1999, called Chain Reaction, which I still find a weird collection of songs:

01 Chain Reaction
    02 I Am Me
    03 No Matter What You Do
    04 Swing It
    05 Blame It On The Sun
    06 Don't Give Up On Each Other
    07 [[I Love) Being In Love With You
    08 Think I'm In Love
    09 I'm Watching You
    10 Sweet Surrender
    11 One Shining Moment
    12 Sweet Nothings
    13 I Will Survive
    14 Fool For Your Love

https://www.discogs.com/release/3514...Chain-Reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The Dutch record company Disky released a licensed Diana Ross compilation in 1999, called Chain Reaction, which I still find a weird collection of songs:

01 Chain Reaction
    02 I Am Me
    03 No Matter What You Do
    04 Swing It
    05 Blame It On The Sun
    06 Don't Give Up On Each Other
    07 [[I Love) Being In Love With You
    08 Think I'm In Love
    09 I'm Watching You
    10 Sweet Surrender
    11 One Shining Moment
    12 Sweet Nothings
    13 I Will Survive
    14 Fool For Your Love

https://www.discogs.com/release/3514...Chain-Reaction
    I have this compilation! And yes, it is a motley grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's always been curious to me that when AT THEIR BEST was released in the UK it had 14 tracks, but by the time it was released in the US it dropped to 10.
    I've always wondered about that practice myself, as in the 60s and 70s, prior to CDs, it seemed most import albums had 14 tracks while those in the US were limited to no more than 12. I suppose it's just what the market would bear at the time.

The practice was so prevalent that it led to the US-only release of the Beatles' "Yesterday and Today" album which was made up of odds and ends from previously released albums in the UK, and a couple new singles. Supposedly this inspired the Beatles to pose as butchers on the original album cover with the remains of slaughtered babies strewn amongst them, because they felt Capitol kept "butchering" their original albums.

As a collector, I was always gratified by the fact that there were as a result more albums to collect. Probably not a healthy attitude, looking back and looking around at all the albums I've hauled around for 35+ years!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I've always wondered about that practice myself, as in the 60s and 70s, prior to CDs, it seemed most import albums had 14 tracks while those in the US were limited to no more than 12. I suppose it's just what the market would bear at the time.

The practice was so prevalent that it led to the US-only release of the Beatles' "Yesterday and Today" album which was made up of odds and ends from previously released albums in the UK, and a couple new singles. Supposedly this inspired the Beatles to pose as butchers on the original album cover with the remains of slaughtered babies strewn amongst them, because they felt Capitol kept "butchering" their original albums.

As a collector, I was always gratified by the fact that there were as a result more albums to collect. Probably not a healthy attitude, looking back and looking around at all the albums I've hauled around for 35+ years!
    were these GH sets similar to how K Tel and other "as seen on tv" packages crammed in more music? i know they would occasionally edit down tracks to make them fit in the ktel sets. but didn't they also do something with the grooves to compress it so that you can squeeze in more music? sorry - i'm not a manufacturer of vinyl so im sure i'm not stating it correctly. but that's also why the music quality on ktel records is inferrior

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    were these GH sets similar to how K Tel and other "as seen on tv" packages crammed in more music? i know they would occasionally edit down tracks to make them fit in the ktel sets. but didn't they also do something with the grooves to compress it so that you can squeeze in more music? sorry - i'm not a manufacturer of vinyl so im sure i'm not stating it correctly. but that's also why the music quality on ktel records is inferrior
    There is definitely a decrease in quality as you squeeze more tracks onto one side of a vinyl album, however it wouldn’t be a difference you would notice between say 10 and 14 selections in total. But like Ktel Records, King Records had a series at one time which they heavily promoted as having 24 songs on an album, 12 on each side, and although many of them were edited to be shorter than their original versions, there was still a lot of compression in the audio which I think was due to trying to squeeze too much analog sound onto one side of the album. I’m sure there’s others on this forum who are more experienced than I am, mine is just experience from listening to albums like that, not really sure of the engineering behind the audio.

I didn’t know Ktel Records also edited their track selections to squeeze the songs down to fit. I demand restitution! I bought a lot of those “only available on TV” albums!
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-17-2022 at 12:19 PM.

I don't really understand this but I remember Bluebrock talking about it at one stage.

In the 90s I bought singles on CD but albums on vinyl.

For some strange reason it took the UK several years to obtain the licence to release If We Hold On Together in the UK.

I'm assuming that if it was included on the CD version of Force Behind The Power then it there was no reason why it couldn't have been on vinyl.

But because of the "quality" issue one track was removed from the International vinyl issue in the UK this being If We Hold On which was a nonsense as there were a good half dozen others which could have been chosen instead.

I was absolutely furious after buying my copy to find If We Hold On missing.

I didn’t know Ktel Records also edited their track selections to squeeze the songs down to fit. I demand restitution! I bought a lot of those “only available on TV” albums!
    I remember receiving a K-Tel SUPER BAD collection one Christmas. I do recall some songs fading early.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember receiving a K-Tel SUPER BAD collection one Christmas. I do recall some songs fading early.
    we have one called High Energy and it was Le Freak and some others that are shorter. maybe the dance break in the middle is reduced or something

I'd like a Ross CD with rare gems such as promise me you'll try
    Going back,
    You make me feel brand new

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    The Dutch 1985 K-Tel Dance Songs collection contains the long album version of Love Hangover and the 12 inch version of The Boss, only to fade out 2 minutes too early. I was so excited to have the 12 inch of The Boss on CD... until I played it.

Name:  R-2939652-1308259373.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  44.9 KB

https://www.discogs.com/release/2939...ss-Dance-Songs

There was a 70s Supremes Greatest Hits LP in 1974 catalogue no STML 11256 in the UK and issued everywhere except the USA it seems

The tracks were

A1 Up The Ladder To The Roof
    A2 Bad Weather
    A3 Nathan Jones
    A4 Everybody's Got The Right To Love
    A5 Automatically Sunshine
    A6 Touch
    A7 I Guess I'll Miss The Man
    A8 Stoned Love
    B1 River Deep Mountain High
    Featuring [With] – The Four Tops*
    B2 Floy Joy
    B3 Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    B4 Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    B5 You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart
    B6 Bill, When Are You Coming Back
    B7 Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)

https://www.discogs.com/master/29528...-Greatest-Hits

That’s so funny. I had the second volume called SUPER BAD IS BACK!

That’s so funny. I had the second volume called SUPER BAD IS BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I'd like a Ross CD with rare gems such as promise me you'll try
    Going back,
    You make me feel brand new
    I never knew Diana recorded "You Make Me Feel Brand New." Is it the same song as The Stylistics? When did she record It?

That's the one! I don't remember the ad, though. How fun! Thanks Reese!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I never knew Diana recorded "You Make Me Feel Brand New." Is it the same song as The Stylistics? When did she record It?
    I don't recall recording a version of that song. If so, it must be on a collection released outside of the US.

Wasn't there a 1980 release in the UK "The Supremes Featuring Mary Wilson - Greatest Hits"?

The same Greatest Hits album as mentioned above was re-issued in 1983 entitled "The Supremes Featuring Mary Wilson - Greatest Hits"

https://www.discogs.com/release/6711...-Greatest-Hits

RCA

Fools
    Mirror, Mirror
    Muscles
    Love Lies
    Thats How You Start Over
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Touch By Touch
    Forever Young
    Chain Reaction
    Crime Of Passion
    Summertime
    ——————————
    INCLUDES Bonus CD Tracks!
    I Love Being In Love With You
    Nobody Makes Me Crazy
    Fool For Your Love
    All Of You

Diana Ross greatest hits/at her best 1988 to present:

If We Hold On Together
    Workin' Overtime
    This House
    Duet with Al B. Sure [[sorry forgot title)
    When You Tell Me that you love me
    Force Behind the Power
    Waiting in the Wings
    One Shining Moment
    You're Gonna Love it
    God Bless the Child [[Live Stolen Moments)
    Lover Man where can you be [[Live stolen moments)
    Best Years of My Life
    Someday We'll be together [[Diana xtended remix)
    Take Me Higher
    I will survive
    Gone
    I thought we were still in love
    Until We Meet Again
    He Lives in You
    What about Love [[from I Love You)
    If the World Just Danced
    I still Believe
    Thank you

Jean

Up The Ladder - MONO