[REMOVE ADS]

Syreeta LP's Question

Does anyone know the reasoning why Syreeta's first three albums were released under MoWest, Motown, and Tamla respectively?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone know the reasoning why Syreeta's first three albums were released under MoWest, Motown, and Tamla respectively?
    My best guess is that Motown was trying to launch the MoWest label and felt Syreeta, thru her association with Stevie, could do that. It didn't happen.

The move to Motown, Motown was the main label and the company felt she'd get more airplay on that label I'm guessing. That lp did much better.

Settling on Tamla, because that was Stevie's label and she was his protege.

Most people knew Syreeta thru her association with Stevie. With that voice it will always be a mystery to me why her career wasn't bigger. In his memoirs Gordy said she was one of his favorite singers, but nothing seemed to work.

As one of his favorite singers, he also didn’t try very hard at making something work.
    Her first single in 1968, her first album four years later.

Her single "I Can`t Give Back The Love I Feel For You" as Rita Wright appeared on the Gordy label.I love this song but I can`t say that I enjoyed any more of her output the same with Jean Terrell. I guess that we all have different tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    My best guess is that Motown was trying to launch the MoWest label and felt Syreeta, thru her association with Stevie, could do that. It didn't happen.

The move to Motown, Motown was the main label and the company felt she'd get more airplay on that label I'm guessing. That lp did much better.

Settling on Tamla, because that was Stevie's label and she was his protege.

Most people knew Syreeta thru her association with Stevie. With that voice it will always be a mystery to me why her career wasn't bigger. In his memoirs Gordy said she was one of his favorite singers, but nothing seemed to work.
    I felt that she seemed to play second fiddle to Stevie on her own albums. This alone might have hobbled her career by creating the perception that any success actually came from hanging onto Stevie's coat-tails.

I always thought she sounded much like Diana Ross and that sunk her.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I always thought she sounded much like Diana Ross and that sunk her.
    Very good observation Ralph, I just didn't want to say for fear of attack. LOL. She recorded demos for Ross at the beginning. In fact, however, Syreeta was a better vocalist with a wider range than Diana Ross. IMHO.

While Gordy appreciated her talent he had to make sure, as with other female artists, that she didn't become a threat to Diana's throne. I find it interesting that she didn't score a big hit until 1980 with Billy Preston, around the time Diana and Berry were quarreling and Diana was looking to leave Motown. Other female artists, like Thelma Houston and High Inergy were given major hits with songs rejected by Ross in Gordy's effort to reel her back in. Then those artists never had another hit.

Your opinion Ralph?

I think you are right on the money, Bayou. I too always preferred her voice over Dianas

I always though she sounded more like Jean than Diana

So was Diana offered Don’t leave me this way first?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    So was Diana offered Don’t leave me this way first?
    Yes, the tape box says "Diana Ross" on it. If you listen to the track, the bass line is identical to the bass line in "Love Hangover."

Syreeta was popular in the UK for a period and she is remembered favourably:

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/15138/syreeta/

She appeared on Top Of The Pops with Your Kiss Is Sweet and With You I'm Born Again [[with Billy Preston).

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Also consider that Motown had to move Syreeta to another label after her first album in 1972 since they had shut down the MoWest label in 1973.