[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Edwin Starr - "Stop Her On Sight [[SOS)"

Edwin makes everything seem better again.

"S.O.S." is a great Motown-sounding record that really jumps out at you. It would have been a huge hit had it gotten any airplay. Our local AM radio station played tons of Motown back in the '60s, but for some unknown reason, "S.O.S." wasn't among them. I love the entire "Soul Master" album. It's my favorite of all of Edwin's Motown LP releases -- especially the title track "Soul Master," on which The Andantes shine!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-14-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Love It! Edwin Starr's "Stop Her On Sight [S.O.S.]" is a Classic and the best Motown Record that wasn't initially released on Motown [that is until Berry Gordy purchased Ric Tic Records and placed Edwin Starr on Motown].

Edwin starr at his best, great song.

I had Edwin perform S.O.S on a tv show I did with Arehta. We had the originals and Louvain and Pat backing him up. He had told me on the record, it was actually The Holidays backing him up.

This is great. Edwin is such a wonderful performer.

It charted inside the Top 40 in the UK when initially released on Polydor c/w 'Headline News' in 1966, and it charted again at number 11 in the UK when it was reissued on Tamla Motown in 1968.

An irresistible dance track that is clearly Ric Tic and not Motown in terms of its sound. The drum sound is different and the rhythm is kept by some very bright-sounding blocks or similar, which Motown didn't use IIRC.

There's also unbounded enthusiasm in the way that the track is played and sung that sounds slightly more spontaneous than most Motown recordings of that era. Is this down to Edwin's energy?

S.O.S a great record but played over & over, however check out this one. "I Have Faith In You"

I attended numerous live performances of the legendary Edwin Starr, and met him on a number of occasions, he was a wonderful man and made the UK his home, he lived in Tamworth in the Midlands [[UK). My favourite record from his incredible archive of many, many classics has to this one, it was also recorded by Doni Burdick on the "Sound Impression" Label, both equally Northern Soul Anthems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    It charted inside the Top 40 in the UK when initially released on Polydor c/w 'Headline News' in 1966, and it charted again at number 11 in the UK when it was reissued on Tamla Motown in 1968.

An irresistible dance track that is clearly Ric Tic and not Motown in terms of its sound. The drum sound is different and the rhythm is kept by some very bright-sounding blocks or similar, which Motown didn't use IIRC.

There's also unbounded enthusiasm in the way that the track is played and sung that sounds slightly more spontaneous than most Motown recordings of that era. Is this down to Edwin's energy?
    The initial UK release on Polydor had I Have Faith In you on the flip, a side which makes it highly collectible on the Northern Soul scene. SOS with Headline news, also on Polydor, came later

The first release as a single on Tamla Motown wasn't until 1974, prior to that both releases were on Polydor. It did appear, though, on Motown Chartbusters Volume 3 in 1969 and also on the Soul Master LP in the same year.

A: Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) / B: I Have Faith In You Polydor BM53702 1966
    A: Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) / B: Headline News Polydor 56753 1968
    A: Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) / B: Headline News Tamla Motown TMG905 1974
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-22-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The first release as a single on Tamla Motown wasn't until 1974, prior to that both releases were on Polydor. It did appear, though, on Motown Chartbusters Volume 3 in 1969 and also on the Soul Master LP in the same year.

A: Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) / B: I Have Faith In You Polydor BM53702 1966
    A: Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) / B: Headline News Polydor 56753 1968
    A: Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) / B: Headline News Tamla Motown TMG905 1974
    Not a lot of people know that!

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post

Yes, absolutely stupendous. As a 16 yr old in '68 it was one of the few vinyl discs I bought. Still have it but very scratched from use at house parties. Got a lot of play at minor clubs and pub venues in and around Bracknell [[UK) back then

Edwin loved his Detroit period but he also held a strong place in his heart for his early years in Cleveland.
    I asked to interview him about those years & though he turned down many requests for interviews, hew had his manager ring me to set up a meet.
    He was really proud to tell me that the group that inspired him in his teenage years was a local Cleveland outfit; the Metrotones [[one of the reasons he named his first group the Futuretones). He told me that the group's lead singer [[Sonny Turner) tutored him vocally & taught him to sing in harmony. Of course, Sonny also left Cleveland; he became the Platters lead singer & they cut many Detroit / Motown inspired tracks in the mid 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    S.O.S a great record but played over & over, however check out this one. "I Have Faith In You"

I attended numerous live performances of the legendary Edwin Starr, and met him on a number of occasions, he was a wonderful man and made the UK his home, he lived in Tamworth in the Midlands [[UK). My favourite record from his incredible archive of many, many classics has to this one, it was also recorded by Doni Burdick on the "Sound Impression" Label, both equally Northern Soul Anthems.
    Graham, I love this record! And The Andantes are shining bright as ever, too! I thought I was hearing this for the first time, but I KNOW it from somewhere. Damn, I can't put my finger on it. At the moment, my desktop PC which contains my word processing CD list containing every song in my collection is down and inaccessible. However, the Geek Squad is coming this Monday [[the 26th). When he gets me up and running again, I'll search for "I Have Faith In You". In the meantime, it's gonna bug the heck out of me until I remember where I heard it.

There was a stripped vocal version [[so intrumental track) on the CD "In The Snakepit". An instrumental version was also well known on the Northern circuit [[see below).

Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-22-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    "S.O.S." is a great Motown-sounding record that really jumps out at you. It would have been a huge hit had it gotten any airplay. Our local AM radio station played tons of Motown back in the '60s, but for some unknown reason, "S.O.S." wasn't among them. I love the entire "Soul Master" album. It's my favorite of all of Edwin's Motown LP releases -- especially the title track "Soul Master," on which The Andantes shine!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  21.1 KB
    As far as I remember S.O.S. got plenty of airplay in Chicago, L.A., and The S.F. Bay Area, and charted nationally. Where were you that it got no radio airplay?

It was a song just about every UK 'soul' group included in their live act back in the mid to late 60's.
    One of these was THE FOUNDATIONS ... they also cut a reworded version [[as did Edwin himself with "Scotts On Swingers") for a UK charity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZABCzz7ac
    Attachment 19946

It must have enjoyed some US action, otherwise American cover versions of the song wouldn't exist ...

FEBRUARY 1966 ... Meanwhile up in Cleveland ... ' #12
    Attachment 19948
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-24-2022 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 503
    As far as I remember S.O.S. got plenty of airplay in Chicago, L.A., and The S.F. Bay Area, and charted nationally. Where were you that it got no radio airplay?
    The Finger Lakes area of Western New York State, Robb. WGVA radio in Geneva, NY [[about 45 miles southeast of Rochester, NY.). Honest, I had never even heard of Edwin Starr until Motown advertised his "Soul Master" LP on the inner sleeve of Motown's latest LP releases. [[Those Motown LP inner sleeves were a God-send!)

There was a stripped vocal version [[so intrumental track) on the CD "In The Snakepit". An instrumental version was also well known on the Northern circuit [[see below).

Even the Instrumental version with just The Andantes is beautiful, mystery. Thanks so much for providing this!

The Finger Lakes area of Western New York State, Robb. WGVA radio in Geneva, NY [[about 45 miles southeast of Rochester, NY.). Honest, I had never even heard of Edwin Starr until Motown advertised his "Soul Master" LP on the inner sleeve of Motown's latest LP releases. [[Those Motown LP inner sleeves were a God-send!)

That's a kick in the shins to all those people who tell you that Ric Tic was about to topple Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    That's a kick in the shins to all those people who tell you that Ric Tic was about to topple Motown.
    Oh don't get me started on THAT topic. Actually, that has indeed been a topic/thread on SD in the past...

So it has.

It's still a big song in the UK ... even cabaret acts do it in their shows ...

A live version recorded by BBC radio back in the day ...

Another old UK cover version ...

A US cover version ...

I don't remember ever hearing Edwin Starr's version of "Stop Her On Sight [[SOS)" played on the radio in Kansas City, where I was living at that time. The first time I ever heard the song was the version by the blue-eyed soul group Bob Kuban and the Inmen [[who had a big hit called "The Cheater"). Sirius XM's "Carolina Shag Radio" channel plays both Edwin Starr's and Bob Kuban's version of "Stop Her On Sight [[SOS):
    BOB KUBAN AND THE IN MEN~STOP HER ON SIGHT S O S - YouTube

Views: 480
    At least you can console yourself with the fact that Darryl Banks came from Buffalo! But you never heard of Edwin Starr before you saw the advert for his 25 Miles LP on a Motown sleeve? That means they also never played "Agent Double O Soul" on your radio station? Or "Headline News", or "25 Miles" 45 [[which came out long before his LP)? "Agent" was a monster national hit, and was very big in Canada, too. Well, at least you had good hockey in that area.

Snakepit, back at the time, I had never heard that Ric Tic was a threat to Motown. In fact, I had never even heard of Ric Tic. But I can surely see why Berry bought 'em out. Ya know, in a way, however, this IS a Motown recording. I can tell by Mike Terry's baritone sax that the Funk Brothers snuck over to Ric Tic studios for a few extra bucks, as did The Andantes. I can also betcha that this is a classic example of when Berry found out and fined them all for betrayal! [[He could always tell by recognizing Louvain Demps' high Soprano which was a dead give-away! Ha! Funny!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-26-2022 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 480
    At least you can console yourself with the fact that Darryl Banks came from Buffalo! But you never heard of Edwin Starr before you saw the advert for his 25 Miles LP on a Motown sleeve? That means they also never played "Agent Double O Soul" on your radio station? Or "Headline News", or "25 Miles" 45 [[which came out long before his LP)? "Agent" was a monster national hit, and was very big in Canada, too. Well, at least you had good hockey in that area.
    No, Robb, I said, at the time, I had never heard of Edwin Starr until I saw his Gordy LP "Soul Master" shown on the inner sleeve of current-day Motown LP's. As far as radio airplay, the first single of Edwin Starr's I ever heard on WGVA was "25 Miles". After that, I think "War" and also "Time" were all that got airplay. Maybe "Oh How Happy" with Blinky, but that was it. It's a shame because those tracks you mentioned from "Soul Master" were HOT -- classic Motown Sound.

ADDITION: I happened to think, Edwin's "I'm Still A Struggling Man" also got airplay, as did "Take Me Clear From Here" after Motown switched him over to the Soul label. Unfortunately, still nothing from his first exciting "Soul.Master" album.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-27-2022 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    I don't remember ever hearing Edwin Starr's version of "Stop Her On Sight [[SOS)" played on the radio in Kansas City, where I was living at that time. The first time I ever heard the song was the version by the blue-eyed soul group Bob Kuban and the Inmen [[who had a big hit called "The Cheater"). Sirius XM's "Carolina Shag Radio" channel plays both Edwin Starr's and Bob Kuban's version of "Stop Her On Sight [[SOS):
    BOB KUBAN AND THE IN MEN~STOP HER ON SIGHT S O S - YouTube
    There was a "Forensic Files" TV episode devoted to Bob Kuban's death on which they mentioned and played a snippet from "The Cheater".

There was a "Forensic Files" TV episode devoted to Bob Kuban's death on which they mentioned and played a snippet from "The Cheater".
    Bob Kuban is still living as far as I know- but the lead singer with the In Men, Walter Scott, was murdered courtesy of his second wife.

I used to have the Bob Kuban album "The Cheater" - enjoyed his version "The Batman Theme". The sound was a bit of a throwback but I thought the album was interesting.

No, Robb, I said, at the time, I had never heard of Edwin Starr until I saw his Gordy LP "Soul Master" shown on the inner sleeve of current-day Motown LP's. As far as radio airplay, the first I ever heard on WGVA was "25 Miles". After that, I think "War" and also "Time" were all that got airplay. Maybe "Oh How Happy" with Blinky, but that was it. It's a shame, because those tracks you mentioned from "Soul Master" were HOT -- classic Motown Sound.
    Philles/Motown Gary,
    The Ric Tic / Motown situation is a UK Rare/ Northern Soul thing....not really found in the USA.
    Basically, in the early boom of NS, a good selection of Ric Tic/ Golden World tracks were popular amongst collectors, dancers etc.
    Over the years, the myth that Berry Gordy HAD to buy out GW because he feared competition [[ which rose to the level of Motown being overtaken) grew amongst these fans.
    Detroit was awash with many labels trying to catch whatever was in the Detroit air.
    Many great records emerged, and GW/ Ric Tic were the best of the compeition...in quality songs, production values and some artists.
    But they were never a serious rival in National/ International terms.

Bob Kuban is still living as far as I know- but the lead singer with the In Men, Walter Scott, was murdered courtesy of his second wife.

I used to have the Bob Kuban album "The Cheater" - enjoyed his version "The Batman Theme". The sound was a bit of a throwback but I thought the album was interesting.
    Oh, it was Walter Scott who was murdered? Okay. I'll have to watch for that episode again. I've seen it two or three times over the years. [[Was Walter Scott the lead singer but Bob Kuban was the head of the group, just as Teddy Pendergrass was the lead singer of Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes?)

Philles/Motown Gary,
    The Ric Tic / Motown situation is a UK Rare/ Northern Soul thing....not really found in the USA.
    Basically, in the early boom of NS, a good selection of Ric Tic/ Golden World tracks were popular amongst collectors, dancers etc.
    Over the years, the myth that Berry Gordy HAD to buy out GW because he feared competition [[ which rose to the level of Motown being overtaken) grew amongst these fans.
    Detroit was awash with many labels trying to catch whatever was in the Detroit air.
    Many great records emerged, and GW/ Ric Tic were the best of the compeition...in quality songs, production values and some artists.
    But they were never a serious rival in National/ International terms.
    Snakepit, I'm now aware of the story behind Ric Tic, although I wasn't at the time. I've recently heard some of their recordings, and I can understand why you Northern Soul fans were so fond of it. I've gotta say I'm impressed -- especially the Ric Tic tracks that include The Andantes.

Snakepit, I'm now aware of the story behind Ric Tic, although I wasn't at the time. I've recently heard some of their recordings, and I can understand why you Northern Soul fans were so fond of it. I've gotta say I'm impressed -- especially the Ric Tic tracks that include The Andantes.
    What tended to happen was a particular record would take off, and collectors would realise that if a record on a certain label had "the sound", they would look for other releases on that label.
    Of course , very often it produced "gold"....and certainlabels would be HOT for a period of time [[ Ric Tic, GW, Okeh, Loma, Date, etc)....then when the records had been found, exposed, played....the scene then looked to the next BIG thing.
    That's how all those wonderful records were discovered for the UK scene.

Oh, it was Walter Scott who was murdered? Okay. I'll have to watch for that episode again. I've seen it two or three times over the years. [[Was Walter Scott the lead singer but Bob Kuban was the head of the group, just as Teddy Pendergrass was the lead singer of Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes?)
    Maybe more like The Dave Clark Five as Bob Kuban was a drummer. In the DC5 Mike Smith [[keyboards) handled the bulk of the lead vocals.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-27-2022 at 05:29 AM.

Edwin Starr had 3 US national R&B + pop chart hits on Ric Tic.
    J J Barnes had 1 US national R&B + pop chart hit on Ric Tic.
    Fantastic Four had 6 US national R&B hits + 4 pop chart hits on Ric Tic [[counting "I Love You Madly" that escaped on Ric Tic first).
    Detroit Emeralds had 1 US national R&B + pop chart hit on Ric Tic.
    Al Kent had 1 US national R&B + pop chart hit on Ric Tic.
    There were also hit 45's put out on the Golden World label [[the Holidays for instance).
    . . . so, at the time, their product was getting heavy exposure and radio airplay all over the US. In Detroit, many of their non-hit 45's also got major radio exposure.
    That's the reason Berry G first bought out the contracts of some of their artists & then bought the whole organisation.
    Name:  FantastcFour45.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  29.7 KB
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-28-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Hello JSmith
    The situation you mention above is, I believe, misleading.

Motown
    Bought out Golden World/Ric Tic in two stages.

The First [[Golden World) in about August 1966.
    The Second stage [[Blue Ric Tic) in 1968.
    The minor hits you refer to on Fantastic Four, Al Kent, Detroit Emeralds were all issued on the re-vamped BLUE Ric Tic label...i.e. About 2 years AFTER Motown first took over GW..
    So, these records had NO bearing or influence on Gordy's decision to take over, as they hadn't even been issued.
    I admit that the Edwin Starr hits most certainly made Motown sit up and take notice on a local label producing some [[ but still a few) quality recordings to match Motown.
    There was clearly an issue with Motown musicians playing on these "Outside" records, and probably issues concerning studio bookings, Musicians missing sessions etc.
    But to think that Motown feared this competition is highly fanciful.

Edwin Starr [[some pop hits), JJ Barnes [[Local Detroit hero) and San Remo all offered Motown some benefit in taking them on at the time, with a view to value re sales.
    Later Fantastic Four would seem to be a good deal too.
    But as for the rest, Motown wouldn't fear these recordings.

Just compare Ric Tic discography below for 1966 compared to the Tamla label alone...no Motown, Gordy, Soul ,VIP.

103 - Edwin Starr - Agent Double-O-Soul / Instrumental - 1965
    104 - San Remo Golden Strings / Bob Wilson And The San Remo Quartet - Hungry For Love /All Turned On - 1965
    105 - Rose Batiste - That's What He Told Me / Holding Hands - 1965
    106 - J.J Barnes - Please Let Me In / I Think I Found A Love – 1965
    107 - Edwin Starr - Backstreet / Instrumental - 1966
    108 - San Remo Golden Strings - I'm Satisfied / Blueberry Hill - 1966
    109 - Edwin Starr - I Have Faith In You / Stop Her On Sight - 1966
    109x - Edwin Starr - Scott's On Swingers - 1966
    110 - J.J Barnes - Real Humdinger / I Ain't Gonna Do It - 1966
    111 - Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart / So Will I - 1966
    112 - San Remo Golden Strings - Festival Time / Joy Road - 1966
    113 - Unreleased
    114 - Edwin Starr - Headline News / Harlem - 1966
    115 - J.J Barnes- Day Tripper / Don't Bring Me Bad News- 1966
    116 - San Remo Golden Strings - International Love Theme / Quanto Sei Bella - 1966
    117 - J.J Barnes - Say It / Deeper In Love - 1966
    118 - Edwin Starr - Girls Are Getting Prettier / It's My Turn Now - 1966
    119 - Fantastic Four - Girl Have Pity / Live Up To What She Thinks - 1966
    120 - Edwin Starr - My Kind Of Woman / You're My Mellow – 1966

54128 - The Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) / There's No Love Left - 1966
    54129 - Marvin Gaye - One More Heartache / When I Had Your Love - 1966
    54130 - Stevie Wonder - Nothing's Too Good For My Baby / With A Child's Heart - 1966
    54131 - The Marvelettes - You're The One / Paper Boy - 1966
    54132 - Marvin Gaye - Take This Heart Of Mine / Need Your Lovin' [[Want You Back) - 1966
    54133 - The Isley Brothers - Take Some Time Out For Love / Who Could Ever Doubt My Love - 1966
    54134 - The Miracles - Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart [[Since I Met You) / Oh Be My Love - 1966
    54135 - The Isley Brothers - I Guess I'll Always Love You / I Hear A Symphony - 1966
    54136 - Stevie Wonder - Ain't That Asking For Trouble / Blowin' In The Wind - 1966
    54137 - Brenda Holloway - Where Were You / Hurt A Little Everyday - 1966
    54138 - Marvin Gaye - Little Darling [[I Need You) / Hey Diddle Diddle - 1966
    54139 - Stevie Wonder - A Place In The Sun / Sylvia - 1966
    54140 - The Miracles - [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need / Save Me - 1966
    54141 - Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston - It Takes Two / It's Got To Be A Miracle - 1966

No real competition in Pop/R&B sales.
    Then there are the LP s.

by 1966 Motown had many LPS on Miracles, Four Tops, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Jr Walker, Marta & Vandellas,....oh yes a group called The Supremes.
    Compare that to ONE San Remo LP on Ric Tic.

There some reports that it was actually Ed Wingate who approached Gordy with an offer to sell. Couldn't that be a lot of the truth.....Motown certainly wanted another studio, so it was a win win situation.

Foe some people to suggest Motown HAD to take over GW/Ric Tic is laughable.

Hello JSmith
    The situation you mention above is, I believe, misleading.
    Motown
    Bought out Golden World/Ric Tic in two stages.
    . . . if you read my post, that's exactly what I said -- it happened in 2 stages.
    .... Berry G first bought out the contracts of some of their artists & then bought the whole organisation.

Yes I know that,
    but the records by Fantastic Four, Detroit Emeralds, Al Kent were after the first buy out...so their chart performances had no bearing on his first buy out.
    In other words this 'competition' was not an issue.....

To balance out the view that Gordy moved to squash his rival, here is his take on it.

"I later acquired GW/RT owned by Ed Wingate/ Joanne Jackson. She and her Company had become our biggest local competitor . Despite the rivalry of our companies, we were friends and when she decided to get into a different business , she sold her record and publishing companies to me."

Of course it's Gordy's version.....but by way of balance, it's useful to see it.

And...if Gordy/ Motown were so worried about Ric Tic's competition, why didn't they acquire the rights to the name at the time of the 1966 buyout...thus squashing the label there and then.?
    Last edited by snakepit; 09-28-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Edwin Starr had 3 US national R&B + pop chart hits on Ric Tic.
    J J Barnes had 1 US national R&B + pop chart hit on Ric Tic.
    Fantastic Four had 6 US national R&B hits + 4 pop chart hits on Ric Tic [[counting "I Love You Madly" that escaped on Ric Tic first).
    Detroit Emeralds had 1 US national R&B + pop chart hit on Ric Tic.
    Al Kent had 1 US national R&B + pop chart hit on Ric Tic.
    There were also hit 45's put out on the Golden World label [[the Holidays for instance).
    . . . so, at the time, their product was getting heavy exposure and radio airplay all over the US. In Detroit, many of their non-hit 45's also got major radio exposure.
    That's the reason Berry G first bought out the contracts of some of their artists & then bought the whole organisation.
    Name:  FantastcFour45.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  29.7 KB
    Let's not forget the OTHER reason Gordy bought out Golden World, - they were the largest component of the other Detroit Soul music record labels that were using his musicians in all night [[moonlighting) recording sessions. It was the combination of both of those 2 elements as an aggravation to him, mores than any monetary problems to Motown Corp. that the direct competition of Golden World with them could cause. By 1966, and, certainly 1968, Motown Corp. was a relatively [[for an independent record company) sophisticated corporate company, with lots of employees, and lots of assets, and a large distribution channels. Compared with that strong base, Golden World Records was still a "Ma and Pa Shop". They were two to three rungs below Motown in terms of ability to compete directly, on a relatively equal basis. And NOTHING in Golden World's arsenal implied that they would EVER reach an equal level.

Motown always had an eye on local competition and product.
    Publicist Al Abram sent an internal note to Berry Gordy suggesting that Motown register "The Detroit Sound"....so that "2bit" labels don't humiliate us".
    They were obviously keen to protect their image,status and reputation.
    This probably shows that they feared inferior Detroit records being linked to Motown [[ Detroit Sound) by ignorant DJs, Radio, press etc.
    That's not to say Golden World/ Ric Tic product...but it shows that Motown were watching the surrounding scene.

I read in Al Kent`s book that Ed Wingate was more interested in tax write offs than hit records. It`s a very interesting book and has all the background information on Ed Wingate , the sellout to Berry Gordy and his gangster record business dealings.

I'd like the Al Kent book but it's priced at £41 on Amazon.
    Too expensive at that price

I'd like the Al Kent book but it's priced at £41 on Amazon.
    Too expensive at that price
    That`s a shame snakepit as you would like it. A pity about the Pound.