[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    468
    Rep Power
    159

    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Black Magic Cover

    Hello!

    Does anyone here happen to have a high-resolution scan of the Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Black Magic cover?

    I was hoping to make a t-shirt of that album cover. I haven't been able to find a decent scan anywhere and my LP copy is a bit worn.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    This pic below may not be large enough of a resolution and would need some cleaning up/air brushing. I have a cut-out copy that was sealed when I bought it, and I think the cover is good, other than the small corner cut. I can try taking a pic with my DSLR, once I get over this dang covid.

    Name:  61zsGG2N2EL._SL1345_.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  76.6 KB

  3. #3
    I gave the US version of the cover a try in the Remini app, which can be very hit and miss. Turned out decent, I think? The app took away a bit of the foggy effect on the original cover, which you may like or not like...

    Name:  1660268617920.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  77.0 KB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    468
    Rep Power
    159
    Thanks Carlo!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This pic below may not be large enough of a resolution and would need some cleaning up/air brushing. I have a cut-out copy that was sealed when I bought it, and I think the cover is good, other than the small corner cut. I can try taking a pic with my DSLR, once I get over this dang covid.

    Name:  61zsGG2N2EL._SL1345_.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  76.6 KB
    I'm really sorry to hear that you're fighting COVID, Carlo. I hope you feel better soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,543
    Rep Power
    189
    Get well soon Carlo!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Get well soon Carlo!
    I second that emotion!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,692
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I second that emotion!
    And I third it, make yourself the priority for now Carlo. Sending good vibes.

  9. #9
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your kind words and well wishes. The first few days of it were the worst. Thankfully, I'm starting to feel better today and I'm feeling more energetic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I gave the US version of the cover a try in the Remini app
    Name:  1660268617920.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  77.0 KB
    I was going to comment on what an unusual, dramatic cover it was for a "girls group" album, and then I realized how much it evokes the 6 or 7 years earlier "Where Did Our Love Go," or even, for that matter the redo of "Meet the Supremes." But still this one has it drama-wise over all the others. It like it in both renderings, the original with the "fog" and Carlo's more in-your-face treatment.

    Name:  61QwnI5ND7L._SL1063_.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  83.1 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-12-2022 at 07:09 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I second that emotion!
    Kenny, actually, you 'tripled' that emotion as I was the first to wish Carlo a get-well-soon message above! HaHa!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,647
    Rep Power
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your kind words and well wishes. The first few days of it were the worst. Thankfully, I'm starting to feel better today and I'm feeling more energetic.
    Carlo, I'm glad you are feeling better. Friends and relatives have had similar experiences in recent months saying the early days of Covid were the worst.

    What do you think aided your recovery? Was it rest, relaxation and over-the-counter medications or "Black Magic"?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,375
    Rep Power
    227
    Feel free to mine here on the off chance

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720301269912

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Kenny, actually, you 'tripled' that emotion as I was the first to wish Carlo a get-well-soon message above! HaHa!
    Oh, go ahead! Step on my message! Be that way!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Feel free to mine here on the off chance

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720301269912
    Mystery, at the time, those UK Motown 2-fers sounded fantastic! They were even better than the American versions.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,436
    Rep Power
    260
    It's a beautiful cover and a GREAT album. I still proudly have my lp, purchased in The New Jersey at the time of its release.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Mystery, at the time, those UK Motown 2-fers sounded fantastic! They were even better than the American versions.
    Yes much better mastering on the UK 2-fers. I wish I had bought those of the 4 Tops. I think for a long time one of the UK 2-fer Vandella sets was the only place you could find songs like "Sweet Darlin'" and "I Can't Dance to That Music You're Playing" on CD.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Carlo, I'm glad you are feeling better. Friends and relatives have had similar experiences in recent months saying the early days of Covid were the worst.

    What do you think aided your recovery? Was it rest, relaxation and over-the-counter medications or "Black Magic"?
    Thanks johnjeb! For me, thankfully, it had felt like a bad flu. It wasn't easy, especially since I also had to get through a busy work week [plus overtime], via my computer at home. But I say I am thankful because so many have had a much much worse experience than me.

    So yes, I'll say it was "Black Magic"...maybe even a little "Sugar N' Spice" and "Honey, Chile" in my tea!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Yes much better mastering on the UK 2-fers. I wish I had bought those of the 4 Tops. I think for a long time one of the UK 2-fer Vandella sets was the only place you could find songs like "Sweet Darlin'" and "I Can't Dance to That Music You're Playing" on CD.
    Kenny, Martha/Vandellas' "Sweet Darlin'" and "I Can't Dance....." had already been available on the 2-CD anthology "Live Wire: The Singles 1962-1972" [[U.S. release date 1993).

    Those Four Tops 2-fer UK CDs are still available, but for a hefty price-gouging cost of $60+. If you want them bad enough, they really are worth it -- especially the pairing of "Yesterday's Dreams" and the super-rare "Soul Spin" album.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,543
    Rep Power
    189
    Those Four Tops 2-fer UK CDs are still available, but for a hefty price-gouging cost of $60+. If you want them bad enough, they really are worth it -- especially the pairing of "Yesterday's Dreams" and the super-rare "Soul Spin" album.

    I got most of those Four Tops 2-fers for a few pounds at Fopp in Covent Garden in London in the nineties where they had loads of them

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,375
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Those Four Tops 2-fer UK CDs are still available, but for a hefty price-gouging cost of $60+. If you want them bad enough, they really are worth it -- especially the pairing of "Yesterday's Dreams" and the super-rare "Soul Spin" album.

    I got most of those Four Tops 2-fers for a few pounds at Fopp in Covent Garden in London in the nineties where they had loads of them
    Those Four Tops UK remastered 2fers weren't released until 2001 and the 4 releases comprised

    Four Tops & Second Album 013 359-2 2001
    On Top & Reach Out 013 360-2 2001
    Yesterday's Dreams & Soul Spin 013 361-2 2001
    Still Waters Run Deep & Changing Times 013 362-2 2001

    There were 37 releases in this series including 4 from Martha Reeves & The Vandellas.

    Shortly after came the 5 Gladys Knight & The Pips 2fers which had a different format [[and were in digipaks).

    These can all be seen here- https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57626901923108


    In the earlier 2on1 series from the mid-80s, of the 62 releases [[not all of which saw release in the EU) there were 3 Four Tops 2fers -

    MCD08007MD Reach Out and Still Waters Run Deep
    MCD08027MD Four Tops & Second Album
    MCD08046MD Keeper of the Castle & Nature Planned It

    These can all be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57637231731375

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Kenny, Martha/Vandellas' "Sweet Darlin'" and "I Can't Dance....." had already been available on the 2-CD anthology "Live Wire: The Singles 1962-1972" [[U.S. release date 1993).

    Those Four Tops 2-fer UK CDs are still available, but for a hefty price-gouging cost of $60+. If you want them bad enough, they really are worth it -- especially the pairing of "Yesterday's Dreams" and the super-rare "Soul Spin" album.
    I might not have been aware of the availability of those Vandella tracks. But I think there were some tracks newly available with the 2-fers, weren't they? The difference in the sound quality compared to the US 2-fers was amazing.

    I did buy all the Gladys Knight and the Pips 2-fers. They were also beautifully done. I don't recall if they had many "vault" tracks on them, but I know I was thrilled to find their last few Motown releases on them, the albums that were released after Knight and the Pips had already left for Buddah Records.

    "Soul Spin" and "Now/Macarthur Park" are just about my favorite 4 Tops albums. Would love to find those sometime on CD. I think I have "Still Waters" and "Changing Times" on Japanese issues, but the entire Tops catalog deserves being issued again.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-14-2022 at 11:44 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Those Four Tops UK remastered 2fers weren't released until 2001 and the 4 releases comprised

    Four Tops & Second Album 013 359-2 2001
    On Top & Reach Out 013 360-2 2001
    Yesterday's Dreams & Soul Spin 013 361-2 2001
    Still Waters Run Deep & Changing Times 013 362-2 2001

    There were 37 releases in this series including 4 from Martha Reeves & The Vandellas.

    Shortly after came the 5 Gladys Knight & The Pips 2fers which had a different format [[and were in digipaks).

    These can all be seen here- https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57626901923108


    In the earlier 2on1 series from the mid-80s, of the 62 releases [[not all of which saw release in the EU) there were 3 Four Tops 2fers -

    MCD08007MD Reach Out and Still Waters Run Deep
    MCD08027MD Four Tops & Second Album
    MCD08046MD Keeper of the Castle & Nature Planned It

    These can all be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57637231731375

    How frustrating they didn't complete the Tops catalog!

    Thanks for the information and links to the collections!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I might not have been aware of the availability of those Vandella tracks. But I think there were some tracks newly available with the 2-fers, weren't they? The difference in the sound quality compared to the US 2-fers was amazing.

    I did buy all the Gladys Knight and the Pips 2-fers. They were also beautifully done. I don't recall if they had many "vault" tracks on them, but I know I was thrilled to find their last few Motown releases on them, the albums that were released after Knight and the Pips had already left for Buddah Records.

    "Soul Spin" and "Now/Macarthur Park" are just about my favorite 4 Tops albums. Would love to find those sometime on CD. I think I have "Still Waters" and "Changing Times" on Japanese issues, but the entire Tops catalog deserves being issued again.
    Kenny, those previously-unreleased Gladys Knight & The Pips LPs [[immediately after they left Motown) were quite good. I especially love the "All I Need Is Time" album.

    The Bonus tracks on the GK&TPs remastered, digi-pack 2-fers are as follows:

    Everybody Needs Love/Feelin' Bluesy: 1) Every Beat Of My Heart; 2) Letter Full Of Tears; 3) Giving Up; 4) Stepping Closer To Your Heart

    Silk 'N' Soul/The Nitty Gritty: 1) Billy, Come On Back As Quick As You Can; Friendship Train

    If I Were Your Woman/Standing Ovation: 1) You Need Love Like I Do [[Don't You)

    Neither One Of Us/All I Need Is Time: 1) It's Bad For Me To See You; 2) It Should Have Been Me; 3) I'm Gonna Make You Love Me

    Knight Time/A Little Knight Music: 1) Somebody Stole The Sunshine; 2) The Lonely Heart And The Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me; 3) Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By; 4) Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone; 5) The Nitty Gritty


    For some unknown reason, the Four Tops "Now" was given a CD release early in the game [[1989) but it never got remastered nor re-reissued in any way since then. I love that album, too. Their version of "MacArthur Park" is the most beautiful version I've ever heard. And "The Key" and "My Past Just Crossed My Future" are two of my favorite stand-outs.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-14-2022 at 02:35 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,375
    Rep Power
    227
    Ditto re "MacArthur Park". I think maybe they should have released a 2fer with "Now" and either "Live" or "Nature Planned It".

    I'm not 100% but I think the tracks on Martha's "Live Wire" set were in mono whereas on the 2fer in stereo. Will have to check it out.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Maybe we will get a Japanese issue of some of the later, first stint anyway, of the Motown Tops catalog. I think “Nature Planned It” is also available as a Japanese issue. Of course their mastering is usually excellent and I think it has been on those later Tops albums available through a Japanese label. I got some of the James Brown later King catalog that way and was really happy with them. They’ve all been completely straight reissues, no notes at all, just the mini LP type sleeves.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Hey you experts out there, which Top sings lead on “California dreaming? “ it’s the closing track on one of those rare albums. I absolutely love the vocal on that.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Ditto re "MacArthur Park". I think maybe they should have released a 2fer with "Now" and either "Live" or "Nature Planned It".

    I'm not 100% but I think the tracks on Martha's "Live Wire" set were in mono whereas on the 2fer in stereo. Will have to check it out.
    Yeah, Mysterysinger, Martha & The Vandellas' "Live Wire" contained the mono 45 versions, as were the tracks on The Marvelettes' "Deliver" and Mary Wells' "Looking Back" -- all of which were 2-CD sets released simultaneously in 1993 as part of the new Motown Masters series. Strangely, the series stopped there. Pity, as those sets included the A-sides and most B-sides. For us Motown collectors, those sets were very exciting at the time.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-15-2022 at 06:12 AM.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,142
    Rep Power
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, Mysterysinger, Martha & The Vandellas' "Live Wire" contained the mono 45 versions, as were the tracks on The Marvelettes' "Deliver" and Mary Wells' "Looking Back" -- all of which were 2-CD sets released simultaneously in 1993 as part of the new Motown Masters series. Strangely, the series stopped there. Pity, as those sets included the A-sides and most B-sides. For us Motown collectors, those sets were very exciting at the time.
    There was also a Jr. Walker and the All Stars set released as part of that series. It was titled "Nothin' But Soul" and came out in 1994.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,657
    Rep Power
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was also a Jr. Walker and the All Stars set released as part of that series. It was titled "Nothin' But Soul" and came out in 1994.
    I have that one!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,375
    Rep Power
    227
    Some pics of those Singles box sets here https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720301335333

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Some pics of those Singles box sets here https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720301335333
    Nice!

    They were a revelation when they came out, all the B-sides and Mono mixes on CD, many for the first time. The only mishap was the Vandellas box didn't include "A Love Like Yours" and I believe that was definitely a single release, maybe a B-side but a popular one.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,142
    Rep Power
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Nice!

    They were a revelation when they came out, all the B-sides and Mono mixes on CD, many for the first time. The only mishap was the Vandellas box didn't include "A Love Like Yours" and I believe that was definitely a single release, maybe a B-side but a popular one.
    When it came to the Vandellas' set, they included the b-sides that were never on an album, like A TEAR FOR THE GIRL and I TRIED. But they also included some other b-sides like MOTORING and SHOW ME THE WAY which were on albums. A LOVE LIKE YOURS fit the latter, but no idea why it wasn't included.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hey you experts out there, which Top sings lead on “California dreaming? “ it’s the closing track on one of those rare albums. I absolutely love the vocal on that.

    Hi Kenneth, hope you are well. I think that it`s Obie Benson. If you have any trouble locating those Top`s cds let me know and I`ll copy them for you. I have them all except "Nature Planned It"

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,543
    Rep Power
    189
    Hey mysterysinger, thanks for the info on the releasedates of those 4Tops twofers. I guess it was a few years later then I thought it was when I got these.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, Mysterysinger, Martha & The Vandellas' "Live Wire" contained the mono 45 versions, as were the tracks on The Marvelettes' "Deliver" and Mary Wells' "Looking Back" -- all of which were 2-CD sets released simultaneously in 1993 as part of the new Motown Masters series. Strangely, the series stopped there. Pity, as those sets included the A-sides and most B-sides. For us Motown collectors, those sets were very exciting at the time.
    From the top of my mind Amy Herot was responsible for those Motown Masters series, as well as the first box of "Hitsville USA 1959-1972", 4 discs, and the follow up, dark blue 1972-1992. What ever happend to Ms Herot?

    I also read somewhere that the Live Wire box set of Martha Reeves was the first where she got the new royalty deal and actually got some money from the sales.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    176
    As addition, Motown is famous for not ending series properly. Not just the EE series, or the 2 for 1. Remember "Mo'Steppers" and "Baddest Love Jams volume 1"

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Hi Kenneth, hope you are well. I think that it`s Obie Benson. If you have any trouble locating those Top`s cds let me know and I`ll copy them for you. I have them all except "Nature Planned It"
    Well as they always say, be careful what you ask for!


    Just this morning, I saw on Amazon the UK 2-fer Yesterday’s Dreams/Soul Spin CD for $25 from a very reliable seller in the UK, Zoverstocks. They ship quickly in my experience, and one time they even replaced a CD for me which was lost in the mail somewhere along the way. I felt that $25 was a pretty good price considering what I’ve seen the CD offered for in the past.


    I would certainly love a copy of Four Tops Now if you have it. I’ll email you separately. How generous of you to offer to share it with me. I believe I do have the Japanese issue of “Nature Planned It” if you need it for your collection as well.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    154
    A word of warning re the UK. 2 on 1`s. The Temptation`s "Live At The Copa"/"With a Lot o` Soul" the final track "[[I Know) I`m Losing You" has been omitted from the "Copa" set.
    "Now" will be in the mail tomorrow. Kenneth.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Power
    183
    Motown, I take it that you really like the music on that album also. To me it is a keeper for sure. I hear it did not get good reviews, but to me it was their best album. Benjamin, Take A Look In The Mirror, Tear It On Down and Anyone Who Had A Heart made me a bigger fan. It was also the album that made me really notice how good Martha could sing. She shines on the mirror song with perfect enunciation. Hope the T-shirt works out.
    Last edited by mr_june; 08-16-2022 at 10:07 PM.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,512
    Rep Power
    231
    ???? What version of Black Magic do you have? Mine does not have a song entitled Take a Look in the Mirror.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,142
    Rep Power
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    ???? What version of Black Magic do you have? Mine does not have a song entitled Take a Look in the Mirror.
    TAKE A LOOK is on their album NATURAL RESOURCES.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    From the top of my mind Amy Herot was responsible for those Motown Masters series, as well as the first box of "Hitsville USA 1959-1972", 4 discs, and the follow up, dark blue 1972-1992. What ever happend to Ms Herot?

    I also read somewhere that the Live Wire box set of Martha Reeves was the first where she got the new royalty deal and actually got some money from the sales.
    Gee, 1382hitsville, I'm not familiar with the name Amy Herot. From the early days of Motown on CD, I remember Cary Mansfield. And I especially remember Jay Lasker who, at the time, was a President of Motown. In a Goldmine article, he invited Motown fans to request tracks we would like to see on Motown's new CD series, "25 Hard-To-Find Motown Classics [[Volume 1-3)". I jumped at the chance to request Eddie Holland's "Just Ain't Enough Love" and "Candy To Me" -- both of which ended up on Vol. 3! That was pretty cool!

    I have both of those "Hitsville USA" CD box sets, but I rarely play them. So many important tracks were left out. Maybe I'm just too picky; I don't know. They served their purpose at the time. We really got spoiled during the 2000's when Hippo Select/Motown Select graced us with one magnificent set after another lead by Harry, Andy, and company.

    Glad to hear that Martha finally got the royalties she so rightly deserved. Heaven knows, at the time, she was one of Motown's very best vocalists.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-17-2022 at 03:34 AM.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,120
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    As addition, Motown is famous for not ending series properly. Not just the EE series, or the 2 for 1. Remember "Mo'Steppers" and "Baddest Love Jams volume 1"
    Boy, you can say that again! The exciting "Hard-To-Find" series in the late '80s [[mentioned above) started with Vols. 1-3 and then ended abruptly. The more recent "50th Anniversary" 3-CD box sets from Hippo Select/Motown Select started with a bang with hard-cover presentations on The Supremes, The Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas, and the Four Tops. Then, zilch. I would have loved to have at least had a set on The Marvelettes. I'm sure there were other examples over the years whereby Motown started a series but never finished them. Oh, Motown reissued every Four Tops album on CD except the "On Broadway" album. In later years, they did reissue "On Broadway" as a download which I promptly purchased and burned to CD. To be fair, Motown did release the "Complete Motown Singles" 5-6 CD box sets in their entirety year by year. Not only did it earn Motown awards, it's the best release series they've ever done. A Motown collector's dream come true, for sure!

    One series I wish that Motown had reissued on CD was the "Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits" albums. A few years ago, i would have bought the entire series just for the front covers alone. I can nary afford it now, but a few years back it would have been a welcome purchase.

    [[Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the "Mo Jams" nor the "Baddest Love Jams" titles.)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-17-2022 at 04:05 AM.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    TAKE A LOOK is on their album NATURAL RESOURCES.
    Martha‘s vocal on that track is fantastic. In fact on that album, Natural Resources, she sings with a vibrato in her voice that you don’t usually hear, at least I don’t often hear it on her vocals. She seems to employ the same style on “Didn’t We” and “I’m in Love” from the same album. I think all three of those tracks are practically Martha Reeves singing solo.

    “Take a Look” was originally recorded by Aretha on Columbia records.

    I like both versions of the song except the lyrics and subject matter is so depressing! You almost expect the flip to be “Eve of Destruction!”
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-17-2022 at 09:40 AM.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    A word of warning re the UK. 2 on 1`s. The Temptation`s "Live At The Copa"/"With a Lot o` Soul" the final track "[[I Know) I`m Losing You" has been omitted from the "Copa" set.
    "Now" will be in the mail tomorrow. Kenneth.
    You are way too good to me. I’m always amazed at how generous members on this forum are. I must have something you would like having so I can return the favor!

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Rep Power
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    One series I wish that Motown had reissued on CD was the "Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits" albums. A few years ago, i would have bought the entire series just for the front covers alone. I can nary afford it now, but a few years back it would have been a welcome purchase.
    Gar, I don’t know if they released the entire series but I have volume two, the sole album in the series originally released on the Tamla label instead of the Motown label, on CD. I specifically looked for that one for a long time because the stereo version of the album came out much later than the original which was issued in mono only, and several of the stereo tracks were rerecordings of the songs from the original album or longer versions. Specifically, I remember the Vandellas’ “I’ll Have to Let Him Go” was definitely a rerecording, and I think the Kim Weston track was the original recording but extended in its stereo incarnation.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    79
    All but Volume 11 were part of the cd series.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,375
    Rep Power
    227
    Lucky is correct in saying that Volumes 1 to 10 of the US 16 Big Hits album series were also issued on CD, but not Volume 11.

    The USA 16 Big Hits series of LPs and CDs can be seen here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57713299932961

    However, in 1994/95 Motown also issued 5 volumes of the Motown Classic Hits series which exactly mimicked the 16 Big Hits series as far as track 12 of 16 Big Hits Volume 4 and all tracks were in mono. These can be seen here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57717913479617
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-17-2022 at 04:27 PM.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,436
    Rep Power
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Martha‘s vocal on that track is fantastic. In fact on that album, Natural Resources, she sings with a vibrato in her voice that you don’t usually hear, at least I don’t often hear it on her vocals. She seems to employ the same style on “Didn’t We” and “I’m in Love” from the same album. I think all three of those tracks are practically Martha Reeves singing solo.

    “Take a Look” was originally recorded by Aretha on Columbia records.

    I like both versions of the song except the lyrics and subject matter is so depressing! You almost expect the flip to be “Eve of Destruction!”
    Yes, Natural Resources comes off almost like a solo lp due to Martha's vocals -

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.