[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lamont Dozier R.I.P.

It's being reported that Lamont Dozier has passed ... awful if true ...
    Anyone here confirm this news ?Attachment 19815

I'm afraid that it's true. Found this article about it in The Mirror [UK]. Tremendous Loss to all of us; RIP Lamont Dozier.

Lamont Dozier dead: Motown icon behind mega-hits Two Hearts and Baby Love dies aged 83 - Mirror Online

Rest in paradise to a member of one the greatest songwriting/production teams the world has ever known. Condolences to Lamont's family, friends, and fans worldwide.

RIP Lamont Dozier, you will live forever through your music.

So sorry to hear that one of the architects of The Motown Sound has passed. A very good singer as well. Rest in power.

Oh no, what terrible news. People are right: his music will continue to brighten our lives for years to come. RIP Mr Dozier, another shining star in the heavens tonight.

This News is too hard 😥 RIP Mr. Dozier. Thank you for the soundtrack of my life. ❤️

Shocked to hear the sad news here this morning.....I'm honored to have in my collection several awards that belonged to Lamont. Sad way to start out the morning.
    Darin

Rest in Peace, Lamont Dozier. Sincere condolences to his family.Thanks for all the great music.

My Top Ten [[no particular ranking) favorite HDH productions:

1. You Keep Me Hangin' On
    2. You Can't Hurry Love
    3. Reach Out [[I'll Be There)
    4. No Where to Run
    5. Come Round Here' [[I'm the One You Need)
    6. Love is Here and Now You're Gone
    7. Bernadette
    8. Reflections
    9. I'm a Roadrunner
    10. I'm in a Different World

Honorable mention to a couple of 'non-Motown' songs that Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier produced: If I Were a Carpenter, Walk Away Renee

Also, a shout-out to a B-side/album filler: Since You've Been Gone

Wow, such terrible news. May he Rest in Peace.

Lamont is undoubtedly the single most important musical figure in my life. Not only as a composer, or producer, but as a wonderful artist. By way of some consolation, he leaves a massive body of work for us to continue to enjoy and remember him by. Terribly sad news about his passing, but his life can be celebrated for his extraordinary achievements and golden legacy.

He made the world a better place. What a legacy.
    rip Lamont Dozier.

Sad news. May you rest in peace. Thank you for your wonderful musical legacy from the past nearly 60 years.

One of my favourite lesser known Holland/Dozier/Holland/Barrett Strong tracks from Martha Reeves and the Vandellas:

"I can't get along without you".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70mcLRr3Oo

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  21.1 KBSo sorry to hear this sad news. His music brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. We'll miss him a lot.

R.I.P Mr Dozier....you were part of the greatest songwriting team in history..your legacy will live forever...deepest condolences to Lamonts family and friends xx

I've been crying all day. Olivia Newton-John and now Lamont Dozier.

This is a hard one to take.
    RIP Lamont

Too many wonderful people have died recently. People who've shaped the soundtracks to our lives and even shaped life itself. Lamont Dozier is one such person, genius wouldn't be too strong a description, "Black Bach" indeed. It's all too sad, but what a legacy we have.

The world has lost some serious talent over the last week or so. His legacy is almost unmatched and the music will live on forever. RIP Sir

This has been a horrible few weeks for deaths of some of my favourite music or entertainment icons.

Heaven [[if there is such a thing) has many extra stars now.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I'm afraid that it's true. Found this article about it in The Mirror [UK]. Tremendous Loss to all of us; RIP Lamont Dozier.

Lamont Dozier dead: Motown icon behind mega-hits Two Hearts and Baby Love dies aged 83 - Mirror Online
    At first I thought "Two Hearts?" What song were they mixing up? Then I read it was a Phil Collins song, I guess.

Such sad news. What an amazing talent.

Forgive my ignorance, but what role did he play in HDH? Lyricist, composer or both?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    At first I thought "Two Hearts?" What song were they mixing up? Then I read it was a Phil Collins song, I guess.
    Phil Collins' "Two Hearts" was written & produced by Collins and Lamont Dozier. The song was released in Nov. 1989 and reached the top the charts around the world. The song was one of many hits from the '80s that referenced the Classic Motown Sound. Check it out here.

Forgive my ignorance, but what role did he play in HDH? Lyricist, composer or both?
    According to Wikipedia, Lamont Dozier was the musical arranger & producer of the H-D-H group [although he also contributed lyrics and song titles from time to time as well].

It is nice to see all the heartfelt tributes to a legendary writer/producer

I'm sending condolences to the family. My husband, R. Dean Taylor, always spoke highly of Lamont. I think he was a co-writer on I'm In A Different World. Dean died in January. I'm sure he would have been sad to hear of his passing. - Sincerely Janee Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I'm sending condolences to the family. My husband, R. Dean Taylor, always spoke highly of Lamont. I think he was a co-writer on I'm In A Different World. Dean died in January. I'm sure he would have been sad to hear of his passing. - Sincerely Janee Taylor
    Yes that great song was one of his many compositions. I was so sorry to hear of your husband‘s death. I still have his albums. God bless.

Mrs. Taylor:

Hello from another fan of your husband's music. Thanks for visiting us here on the site and for your kind thoughts about Lamont.

Legendary songwriter, producer, and artist in his own right. RIP Lamont.

Our dearest one, Lamont. Thanks for your compositions and productions, regardless of who delivered the vocals. The commercial hits were successful for you, HDH, and Detroit Motown. Reunite in musical heaven with deceased Motowners, and keep the music playing.
    Some of my personal favorites are the lesser-known:"Tie A String Around Your Finger" Marvelettes"A Tear for the Girl" Martha & Vandellas"Until You Love Someone" Four Tops/Chris Clark"I'm in Love Again" Supremes"Heaven Must Have Sent You" Elgins

I’m pretty sure I remember an interview where he said this was the best song HDH ever did

Such terrible news. My schooldays would have been unbearable without your music. There will never again be such a talented writing and production team as HDH.

RIP Lamont Dozier

Such sad news. What an amazing talent.

Kenny, when I saw that "Two Hearts" was one of Lamont's two accomplishments listed, the first thing I thought of was Phil Collins' "Two Hearts", but that was on Atlantic -- NOT Motown. I dismissed it as a careless error on the reporter's part. Now it makes sense! I didn't realize that Lamont was associated with Two Hearts", but it makes total sense now because that track is super-Motown-ish! I bought the Soundtrack CD to "Buster" for that one track alone.

["Two Hearts" was co-written and co-produced by Phil Collins & Lamont Dozier.]
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-13-2022 at 03:50 PM.

A personal favourite of mine is "Why Can't We Be Lovers" by Holland-Dozier. This track shows how soulful Lamont could be.

Perhaps too complex for massive pop success but, as a result, it can be listened to again and again, even after 50 years.

Best heard in its mono single mix, by the way.

R.I.P.

PS Who is the sax player? They're great. Is it the same player as heard on " Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style)" by The Temptations?
    Last edited by Sotosound; 08-14-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    Maggie, I wasn't aware that R. Dean had passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a great singer, and he played a mean tambourine! May he rest in peace with the other Heavenly Motown artists.

Lamont Dozier will be sadly missed. He provided a magnificent array of some of the best music in the world. RIP, Lamont.

My belief is that the sax player on that record is Donald Baldwin. Donald was signed by Invictus as a musician / arranger and the timing and location fits. Donald performed with numerous Invictus acts and is still closely associated with Tony Newton Invictus bass player and Mckinley Jackson who was the key musician arranger for Invictus. He is also very closely associated with Jeffrey Bowen, ex Invictus producer. The Chairmen's Skin I'm In Invictus album features Donald along with Funkadelic mudicians, produced by Jeffrey Bowen. Donald's associated musicians were the members of Funkadelic, and they all worked for Invictus and together as the musicians under Norman Whitfield on the Temptations A Song For You album, with co production by Jeffrey Bowen.

If you want a good example of Donald's sax style, listen to The Temptations Shakey Ground written by ex Invictus personnel and produced by Jeffrey Bowen. The sax solo credit is Donald Baldwin

The New Lamont Dozier Album featuring Lamont Dozier and Brian Holland. [[The Love and Beauty album. Features Brian Holland on vocals and the same sax styling ....

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Maggie, I wasn't aware that R. Dean had passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a great singer, and he played a mean tambourine! May he rest in peace with the other Heavenly Motown artists.
    Did we observe his passing here on SDF? I don't recall seeing anything here about it. Perhaps we should post a thread so members can share their thoughts on Taylor.

Do you recall, Gary? I can't find anything recently posted about it.

Did we observe his passing here on SDF? I don't recall seeing anything here about it. Perhaps we should post a thread so members can share their thoughts on Taylor.

Do you recall, Gary? I can't find anything recently posted about it.
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ht=dean+taylor

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    My belief is that the sax player on that record is Donald Baldwin. Donald was signed by Invictus as a musician / arranger and the timing and location fits. Donald performed with numerous Invictus acts and is still closely associated with Tony Newton Invictus bass player and Mckinley Jackson who was the key musician arranger for Invictus. He is also very closely associated with Jeffrey Bowen, ex Invictus producer. The Chairmen's Skin I'm In Invictus album features Donald along with Funkadelic mudicians, produced by Jeffrey Bowen. Donald's associated musicians were the members of Funkadelic, and they all worked for Invictus and together as the musicians under Norman Whitfield on the Temptations A Song For You album, with co production by Jeffrey Bowen.
    Many thanks.

@sansradio,

Thank you. I’m glad someone thought to highlight this very talented man’s passing.

K

So sad. I was looking forward to seeing him at the Union Chapel in London. Postponed twice because of COVID and then because of his health. Is was to be a close up look of him talking and singing his way through the Motown years and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed H View Post
    So sad. I was looking forward to seeing him at the Union Chapel in London. Postponed twice because of COVID and then because of his health. Is was to be a close up look of him talking and singing his way through the Motown years and beyond.
    Name:  21A1F361-04C7-43C9-BEFD-F3BDFDAD03F7.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  9.3 KB

Apparently he was also touring here with members of the former Wrecking Crew, who have apparently been touring.

Here’s the link if anyone wants to read about it. I’m sorry if this may have been brought up already, I know there’s several threads about his passing. Such a wonderful talented man.

https://ci.ovationtix.com/371/produc...260?promo=CREW

Not Lamont. His son Lamont jr