[REMOVE ADS]

Olivia Newton-John, Beloved Singer and ‘Grease’ Star, Dies at 73

From BestClassicBands.com-
    Olivia Newton-John, the beloved singer, actress and philanthropist, died today [[August 8, 2022). The news was of the passing of the British-born, Australian actress, at age 73, was shared by her husband, John Easterling, on her social media pages just after 3 p.m. ET. “Dame Olivia Newton-John passed away peacefully at her ranch in Southern California this morning,” he wrote, “surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.”The note continued: “Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund [[ONJFoundationFund.org).”
    The internet began “blowing up” in late December 2018 that Newton-John had “weeks to live.” [[Similarly, on Sept. 10, 2018, there were reports that she had been diagnosed with cancer for the third time. The beloved singer was, indeed, battling stage 4 cancer in her back. As Best Classic Bands previously reported, Newton-John had postponed a tour that year due to the cancer diagnosis.)

On January 2, 2019, she struck back at the end-of-year tabloid stories to proclaim in a video greeting that “the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.” The singer, actress and author, looking great, wished all of her fans “the happiest, healthiest 2019 possible,” thanking them for their love and support.

In a September 9, 2018, profile on the Australian TV program, Sunday Night, the beloved singer sounded confident that she will beat it once again. “I believe I will win over it,” she said. The only revelation is that Newton-John acknowledged for the first time that cancer was discovered in her shoulder in 2013.
    On Sept. 16, Newton-John cut the ceremonial ribbon at the Wellness Walk and Research Run in Melbourne, Australia.

She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992. The singer, who turned 73 on September 26, 2021, wrote a new memoir, Don’t Stop Believin’.
    Newton-John had announced on May 30, 2017 that the back pain that caused her to postpone the first half of her 2017 concert tour, had turned out to be a reoccurrence of breast cancer. The singer, actress, author and humanitarian is best known for her five #1 pop hits as well as her starring role in the movie musical Grease opposite John Travolta.
    Newton-John, though born in England was a longtime Australian resident. She broke through with her 1974 #1 smash, “I Honestly Love You,” which earned the Grammy Award for Record of the Year, and followed it with four other chart-toppers: 1975’s “Have You Never Been Mellow,” her 1978 duet from Grease with John Travolta “You’re the One That I Want,” 1980’s “Magic” and 1981’s “Physical.”

Newton-John was an advocate for breast cancer research as well as humanitarian causes. She earned four Grammy Awards and sold more than 100 million records worldwide. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1981.

So sad to read this. I've always liked Olivia and really felt for her during her long cancer battle. May she R.I.P.

Aw shucks. Class act. RIP Olivia Newton-John

I really loved her. In that time period between 1978 and 1983, my favorites were Chaka, Ross, Donna Summer and ONJ.

She battled courageously against cancer for so long. By all accounts she was a lovely person. RIP, Dame Olivia.

So very sad. I loved ONJ. RIP
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-08-2022 at 04:58 PM.

I am feeling very sad that Olivia died. She was always on the radio and had such an angelic face. She became part of my DNA, and I did not know it until today.

Rest In Peace Olivia Newton-John. Thank you for the music.

She was a huge talent and so wonderful in the movie “Grease.” I love that final scene! That’s how I’ll always think of her in those tight black leather pants.

She was really something special. Always brought me joy. Rest in power.

Sad news in our household as well. Such a magnificent talent!

RIP

So sad that we Aussies have lost two of our female icons from the music world in the past week.

The song 'I Am Australian' [[a favourite 'modern' song from the Seekers after they re-formed in the 90s) was used by our national broadcaster ABC during covid showing people at home during lockdown singing the song together via video-link. It was used as a station ident and became extremely popular.

It was so popular they did other versions and on one of them Olivia sang which was a pleasant surprise. It may well have been Olivia's final recorded performance.

Here it is on YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl5KzjcsVgY

Vale Livvy. Hope you are up in musical heaven singing 'I Am Australian' along with Judith Durham.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 08-09-2022 at 04:56 AM.

RIP ONJ 😥 One of my favorites for over 50 years ❤️

What a crazy time.

Wally Cleaver passed away.

Sandy from Grease passed away

edafan

I was very sad to learn of the news of her passing. She was an incredibly talented and kind hearted human being.

RIP Dear Olivia

Here's a surprising song choice for Olivia Newton -John that I stumbled on recently.

It was a British /Australian hit but failed in the US and Canada, and was released after her first hit with Bob Dylan's IF NOT FOR YOU.

A straight forward unrepentant accounting of killing an unsuspecting person for very flimsy reasons, knifing him to death down by the river.

Premeditated after luring. death penalty stuff. Very odd.

@Boogie,

What a strange song! Only you could’ve found this one! It must be very early because she doesn’t seem to have quite found her voice yet, at least not the manner of singing which she was so famous for later. It’s got a similar vibe to “Green Green Grass of Home” or even “Tom Dooley.” Fascinating find!

I always treated that as a novelty song and figured that she did it just for fun. It is sort of like that song Miss Otis Regrets that a number of people have done.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I always treated that as a novelty song and figured that she did it just for fun. It is sort of like that song Miss Otis Regrets that a number of people have done.
    That's funny you mention that song. I have never understood what it's about. Is it actually about someone canceling a lunch engagement because they're dying?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That's funny you mention that song. I have never understood what it's about. Is it actually about someone canceling a lunch engagement because they're dying?
    It's narrated by Miss Otis' social secretary, who informs the lunch date that Miss Otis has killed the lover who jilted her, been taken to jail, and been lynched by a mob. From the one-of-a-kind pen of Cole Porter.

I know Olivia's "Banks of the Ohio" well. Like daviddesper, I've also always viewed it as a novelty song. These tragic death type of songs have had a commonplace in the traditional country music genre. As a couple of examples, listen to Dolly Parton's Jeannie Is Afraid Of The Dark or Eveningshade. Traditional country music was all about that southern story telling.

Speaking of Olivia and "Banks of the Ohio", it was just announced that her debut album, "If Not For You" is being reissued as a 2 CD deluxe edition in September, as well as on vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/If-Not-You-De...s%2C127&sr=8-2

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

I'm not sure what's fun about singing about stabbing somebody to death [?] BUT
    Olivia gets hers .
    A later lover gives her a heart attack.