[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: how much???

how much???

i saw this in motowntreasures,

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-16-...7217069&sr=1-6

it cant be worth that surely

Hmmmm, it IS a stereo copy and it IS a great album.

However, if doesn't have a Velvelettes track so it can't be worth that amount of money!

*GULP*

Looks like one sold a few years ago on eBay for less than $50. That's some serious inflation right there

http://www.popsike.com/MOTOWN-16-BIG...636404237.html

Tamla617

I had horrible visions that you were about to expose me....so I better come clean and admit that I did spend a little too much this week on ebay!!

they have all come out on cd's, I have Volumes 1 thru 10

Des123....not quite!

The vinyl album mixes were not the ones used for the CD re-issues.

Right - big disappointment when I bought those CD's, the Lp album mixes were different, but most have been released as seperate trracks by now so can can one can pretty well piece together the albums by finding the right tracks and burning your own.

I picked them all up on reel to reel tapes [[1-10) about 10 years ago, which was fun to do.

Volume 5 is one of the best ones, the original had "When I'm Gone" and "I'll Keep Holding On" and "Take Me In Your Arms" in Stereo and it was the only album to include them at the time, 1966 is when Volume 5 came out. I still have my original copy I bought then, still in flawless condition.
    Last edited by 762rob; 06-04-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling!

This was my first 16 Big Hits. My sister gave it to me for Christmas, I assume it was 1966.

I discovered a lot about Motown from that record. Next was Volume 6 - even better!!! [[Smiles to John Lester.) I then proceeded to get the whole series with each new release and backtracking to catch-up. I recently lent them to a Reel good friend of mine.

I also have all the CDs [[except Vol 11, of course). When the CDs were released I asked my sister if she would give me Vol 5 for Christmas that year for sentimental reasons. Thankfully she did. She surprised me when she mentioned that she thought "I'll Keep Holding On" was one of the best Marvelettes songs. I didn't even know she liked or even remembered that song.

I have all but vol 1&4. My favorite one is vol 8. This would be a nice CD box set project for Hip-O with each disc having the mono and stereo versions of the original releases.

I think that this album was the first I ever bought in my life...I was careful to try and get the most I could for my $2.98. I know I bought the Mono copy because at the time Stereo was $1 more than Mono. It is indeed a great album with unusual mixes and even at the time, rare singles you couldn't get on other albums.

I agree, this would be an excellent Hip-O project to restore these original mixes to CDs at last! I wasn't aware the CDs had different versions. I think I only have Vol. 2 on CD which was the only release on Tamla. I sought out that one on CD because the Stereo LP came out several years after the original release and the Stereo version had even a few rerecordings of songs most notably the redo of "I'll Have to Let Him Go" by the Vandellas [[which I believe was also on the Vandellas' Anthology) and really awesome Stereo mixes of several others, prior to that unavailable such as "Leaving Here" by Eddie Holland, "I Gotta Dance to Keep From Crying" by the Miracles and "Just Loving You" [[long version) by Kim Weston.

I'm always amazed at how much people are prepared to spend on any of these.

I'm in the process of selling all of my Motown material [[well, not quite all of it), and the most I'm usually asking for is about £5, and the vast majority being sold well below that price. Surprisingly though, I still have about 75% of my collection left!

Perhaps I'm aiming at the wrong market, and should make the starting price something astronomical like £5000 and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    I'm always amazed at how much people are prepared to spend on any of these.

I'm in the process of selling all of my Motown material [[well, not quite all of it), and the most I'm usually asking for is about £5, and the vast majority being sold well below that price. Surprisingly though, I still have about 75% of my collection left!

Perhaps I'm aiming at the wrong market, and should make the starting price something astronomical like £5000 and see what happens.
    Well, look at it this way, you only need to make one sale at those prices! And you can keep the rest of your collection!

As I write this I'm getting quite excited for 2 reasons.

Firstly - I have this album on vinyl [[in fact all 11 volumes) which means I'm rich;

I'm currently trying to get the CD issues but, of course, some of them are at exorbitant prices so it could take some time [[have only got 1, 2, 5 and 9 at the mo) - which leads me to my second reason for excitement [[I think);

Secondly - Johnjeb dropped a huge hint in that he'd lent all his 16 Big Hits collections to a "Reel good friend" which I'm optimistically taking to mean Reel Music and therefore........

But I could be putting 2 and 2 together to make 11 and I'm probably neither rich nor going to see new CD releases of these albums.

In the meantime, I present for your pleasure.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookeph...7623910194516/

Hope you enjoy!

uptight Guest
    I was just playing my copy of this LP some weeks ago to see if there were any alternate mixes. Mine is stereo also.

Sorry to disappoint you mysterysinger. There is no inside scoop here. I had intended for my comment to be an aside to John Lester, but I forgot to qualify it as such. I posted late in the day, after a long tiring day, and I was just being silly and careless.

A few months ago I had made a list of all my albums and sent it to Paul W, John L and another friend. Paul put a request for about a hundred, some to buy and some to "borrow". John only wanted one but unfortunately I had already given that one to Paul. So that was the inside joke, not very well thought-out, to John Lester. Maybe when Paul is done with it I can let John L "borrow" it.

I did, indeed, lend several of my albums to Paul Williams, but, for his listening pleasure, only. Many of his albums are in storage. I had told him that I was organizing my albums to sell and he asked to see and hear a few before I sold my heart to the junkman. I think he wants to hide them from me so that I don't do something I will regret.

I am planning on moving sometime this year, I hope. That will be the fourth time in 10 years that I am moving 1,000 albums, almost as many 45s, and half as many CDs. Not to mention cassette and VHS tapes and DVDs. [[Oh God, I just remembered I also have books.)

At 61 I'm tired - I want the vinyl gone. Paul is trying so hard to dissuade me from this reckless attitude and behavior. He has agreed to "borrow" many of my albums so that I don't feel overwhelmed with my move.

I agree with a post I saw on another message board that the price for the album in the ad must be a typo. It's so unrealistic.

Like gordy-hunk I'm only getting a few dollars per album. I'm not parting with the cream of the collection just yet but some are worth more than what I'm asking and getting. A dealer, who is a long-time acquaintance, gave me $3-5 for some. This weekend I took some to my brother's yard sale and sold most for about the same and even less! However, I could tell that they were going to good homes - the most important thing of all, as far as I'm concerned.

My brother was impressed with the earnestness in which the record buyers examined the records and the positive comments they made to me when paying. One was a retired oldies record store owner from Boston. I joked that he was probably buying back something I got from his store. [[John Lester, you've been in his store many times!!!)

So, again mysterysinger. I misspoke.

Quote Originally Posted by 762rob View Post
    . . . big disappointment when I bought those CD's, the Lp album mixes were different, but most have been released as separate tracks by now so can can one can pretty well piece together the albums by finding the right tracks and burning your own.
    I treasure the vinyls because of the different mixes. Some mixes have never appeared on any CD. Every time I listen to the echo at the end of the Miracles' My Girl Is Gone I go weak. Volume 5 is by far the favorite of the 11 disks. I am also grateful that Volumes 1, 2, and 3 were reissued in stereo for the CD series. Like everyone else, I had to make my own CD-R of Volume 11 and then expanded it.

Unhappy

Oh well!!

John

It used to hurt me to see those albums listed and you threatening to get rid of them. This was how we grew up, it's our life story...and it's how London and Boston got together!

I hope those original 1960's Supremes programmes are not going the same way.

Volume 7 and 8 were the albums where I discovered strings on "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg".

We now have string versions of those tracks on CD release.

My brother was impressed with the earnestness in which the record buyers examined the records and the positive comments they made to me when paying. One was a retired oldies record store owner from Boston. I joked that he was probably buying back something I got from his store. [[John Lester, you've been in his store many times!!!)

I was in Boston a couple of years ago and was staying very close to the area where the second hand vinyl stores were, I spent much of my holiday in and out of those stores, spending dollars on albums that would have cost me a fortune in the UK. My cases weighed a ton when I eventually went home, thank goodness I didn't go over my weight [[mind you I would have thrown out clothes rather than those LP's)

mysterysinger
    i did enjoy that,cheers

John...the programs and memorabilia are also on "loan"...and they have been for two years...I'll keep some of the memorabilia but definitely the program booklets...

Paul Nixon...I'm glad it was a successful visit to Boston...I haven't been to many of those stores in quite a few years...I had a similar visit to London in 1985...my bags were so heavy that my larger suitcase was the very last to come down the conveyor...I could tell it had been opened or maybe it burst open!!!...fortunately all the records were there...especially my prize find "Sophisticated Soul"...I had been looking for a duplicate copy for years...I found a sealed copy in London for 10 pounds, a bit more than I had hoped to pay but I bought it...unbelievably, within DAYS of being home from my trip abroad I found a mint copy of the same album for $3, in a used record store in my own hometown that I visited weekly....oh well...I still have all 3 copies...but soon going once, going twice, SOLD!!!! lol ...just kidding on that one...not ready to give up the girls just yet...

mysterysinger, thanks for that link...I wish someone would do a book of all the album covers..maybe Hip-O should consider something like that

Glad you're enjoying the link - here are some more.....

Tamla Motown albums - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookeph...th/2935499167/
    Compact Discs - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookeph...7619209619636/
    Some none UK vinyl - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookeph...th/3590496730/

I'm regularly adding more images.