[REMOVE ADS]

The supremes "blowin' in the wind" instrumental & backing vocals

You know, this actually isn't bad. I think this song, to me was lost on Cream of The Crop because it just sounded out of place amongst the other songs. I think if this had been included on an earlier album surrounded by more of the vaulted and much stronger recordings, in that context, this may have sounded very good.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    You know, this actually isn't bad. I think this song, to me was lost on Cream of The Crop because it just sounded out of place amongst the other songs. I think if this had been included on an earlier album surrounded by more of the vaulted and much stronger recordings, in that context, this may have sounded very good.
    I agree it was out of place on “COTC”. I can only hear Mary’s voice. It sounds like her it’s been double tracked.

Mary isn't doubled, it's her and Florence. Mary is just incredibly prominent. This was amongst the sessions where IMO Flo and Mary phoned it in and the producers never bothered to re-cut it. [[It's worth noting that in the case of "Wind", the song was quickly shelved and didn't see the light of day for three years when some idiot decided of all the quality tunes the group had recorded over the years, especially more recent DRATS tunes, screw those and go for a three year old throwaway that doesn't show any of the Supremes in the best light.) Many- maybe as much as half- of the A Go Go sessions suffered from Flo and Mary not doing what we know they were capable of doing. It's amazing that the A Go Go album turned out as well as it did.

Oh, specifically about this song, I hate their version. To me it's one of the few songs the Supremes cut that I honestly categorize as crap. There are songs I don't like, even hate, but I wouldn't call them crap. Their version of "Wind" is crap. Only "What the World Needs Now" and the travesty "My Guy" are worse.

That is one big mess guys. Sound like a horrible slice of Euro-pop!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    That is one big mess guys. Sound like a horrible slice of Euro-pop!
    Lol It does have a Euro-pop feel to it, doesn't it? The Supremes were so much better than this recording.

Were Mary and Florence in the parking lot when they recorded this?

i don't hate it. it's better than some other covers they did. And i agree in an appropriate context, it might have come across a bit better.

perhaps as part of the Symphony project? the strings and orchestral feel could have been elevated a little. you already have the MOR songs plus the motown/pop tunes included all also have a more symphonic feel. Blowing was initially a folk song but they Supremes' could have taken a more elegant approach to it.

A Go Go could have been an option. the final product was almost a 180 degree pivot from Symphony. rather than symphonic MOR, you have pure teen dance floor. i do think that was the best idea but you could have explored some of the other elements of teen music with some more folk tunes. maybe added with Let The Music Play, What Becomes of the Brokenhearted