[REMOVE ADS]

Here Comes The Sunrise - sung by the composer, Clifton Davis

fast forward to around 3:50. Melba and Clifton duet on Here Comes The Sunrise, a tune he helped compose

interesting hearing the fasting, funkier style with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzKklSAQHo

Cool find, Grant! Definitely gives it a different spin doing it uptempo. I wonder what it might have sounded like had Frank Wilson done it more in that style on The Supremes? Not sure whether it would have fit with the more laid back, delicate style of the album being so uptempo, but... hey, who knows?

Continuing to watch the vid, they do a down-tempo version of "Lookin' Through The Windows." Man, I could've heard Jean, Mary and Cindy doing an arrangement like that for the Touch LP!

[And I love the version by the J5, but... imagine a sexy, soft version like this by The Supremes? Coulda been, "look out, Touch!"]

I just love the supremes version and in my obviously biased opinion would have thought it could be a single. But then again I realize the more laid back feeling might have been lost on the radio as a single.

then again, in mid to late 71 that might have worked.

But yeah. Def interesting to wonder

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Continuing to watch the vid, they do a down-tempo version of "Lookin' Through The Windows." Man, I could've heard Jean, Mary and Cindy doing an arrangement like that for the Touch LP!

[And I love the version by the J5, but... imagine a sexy, soft version like this by The Supremes? Coulda been, "look out, Touch!"]
    And didn’t Clifton write Never Can Say Goodbye? That too could have been perfect for the sups

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I just love the supremes version and in my obviously biased opinion would have thought it could be a single. But then again I realize the more laid back feeling might have been lost on the radio as a single.

then again, in mid to late 71 that might have worked.

But yeah. Def interesting to wonder
    I love "Here Comes The Sunrise" by The Supremes... but I've never thought it would've been a hit single. I just don't think people looked to The Supremes for slower songs--see Touch for that example. I love that song, but... the public didn't take to that slower tempo. Maybe it was a matter of choosing the right slower song?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    And didn’t Clifton write Never Can Say Goodbye? That too could have been perfect for the sups
    I do like The Supremes' version of "Never Can Say Goodbye" that was recorded, but also wish Jean could've taken a shot singing it with the The Jackson 5's backing track [and with Mary and Cindy--not the dear Andantes].