[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes - Color My World Blue

Who is this singing behind Scherrie? I don't hear Mary whatsoever.

https://youtu.be/FeZSzpH0HB4

Sounds like Mary, Cindy and Scherrie. I can make Mary out in places in the mix. The interesting thing about the MSC lineup is I'm almost 100 percent certain that the three Supremes are almost always singing background together, giving their lineup a particularly tight sound.

yes this is SMC and yes, all three would record backing vocals. often times the lps are slightly faster than the cd's. back in the day when i would sometimes mix between the two formats or when i would make mixed tapes and then listen to the cd's, it always felt like the cd's were dragging the tempo slightly. of course it could be my turn table was cheap and going a tad too fast! lol

my guess is this is a digital upload from an lp, hence the slightly faster pace and the vocals sounding just a little "chipmunk" due to the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my guess is this is a digital upload from an lp, hence the slightly faster pace and the vocals sounding just a little "chipmunk" due to the speed.
    I was going to post the same thing. This is definitely running fast and makes the backgrounds sound a little higher than usual. This song should have been one of the singles from the '75 album. If only...

i think this is my favorite track from Supremes 75
    i would have issued it as a single

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I was going to post the same thing. This is definitely running fast and makes the backgrounds sound a little higher than usual. This song should have been one of the singles from the '75 album. If only...
    it's an excellent track. all of Side 2 of Sup 75 is IMO far superior to anything on side 1. The tracks on the album and during these sessions that Ivey and Woodford produced are really just excellent. You Can't Stop A Girl and Color My World both would have been excellent singles. maybe not as magical as Reflections or Stoned Love but i think they would have been strong pop material for 75 and could have certainly had chart potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's an excellent track. all of Side 2 of Sup 75 is IMO far superior to anything on side 1. The tracks on the album and during these sessions that Ivey and Woodford produced are really just excellent. You Can't Stop A Girl and Color My World both would have been excellent singles. maybe not as magical as Reflections or Stoned Love but i think they would have been strong pop material for 75 and could have certainly had chart potential.
    Sup_Fan, I completely agree on this!

Of course there is the freedom of taste, but those songs deserved better. What is your favorite version of "Can't Stop A Girl In Love" on the "Let Yourself Go" box?

For me, it's difficult, I love the innocence and harmonies of that early version, recorded February 24th 1975, for the completists: tambourine was recorded February 5ht 1975.

On the other hand, the released version, vocals recorded the day after, February 25th 1975, drums, piano and harpsichord re-recorded April 17th 1975, bas and guitar recorded the day after, April 18th, 1975. That version sounds more Supremes to me, so I also love it.

the released version is probably the one i have to pick. it's just a great, feel-good pop tune. the girls sound sensational with their harmonies, Scherrie's vocal is compelling without being too over the top. just a great pop record and i think it would have done well with the other pop tunes in early 75.

the alt version is a great track and really so different. unusual to have 2 radically different attempts at a song. usually it's just minor tweaks or alt vocals. had the other version not existed, this too would have been a strong song. given the released Can't Stop, maybe they could have dropped different lyrics on this song and then had another winner!

it's also a real shame, frankly just a crime, that none of these tunes were ever added to the live show or tv spots. This Is Why is a dud and Where Is It I Belong is one of the worst things ever recorded by the supremes - including the tracks on Meet The Sups!!!! certainly Color My World would have been a much strong tune to have done on their Soul Train or BAndstand appearance

but Mary had to have her leads...

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Just chiming in to reiterate that the posted link is to a version that has been 'sped up'. The original version, musically, is in the key of E. Speeding it up put its very close [[not exactly) in the key of F. Kind of reminds of that Supremes' Greatest Hits medley that we've heard where the girls sound like chipmunks because some of the songs had to be 'sped up' to fit the disco tempo.

Color my world blue would have worked as a single if it was released in late 74 early 75.

An upbeat song whining about being lonely and blue.

never gonna cut it in the liberating era of “I will survive “.
    simple word change and adjusted attitude could have salvaged this otherwise very nice tune :
    “COLOR MY WORLD , NEW “
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-24-2022 at 01:10 PM.

yes but Color predated IWS by about 4 years. also this was 18+ months prior to Saturday Night Fever which was a catalyst to disco music becoming much heavier, more powerful, etc. Lighter, frothier disco tunes could hold up in the earlier years

good points,
    but is this storyline frothier ? or more heavy duty??
    ....and happily singing the blues doesn't make sense ...

I also believe there's a confession therein of cheating , so no sympathy boo hoos from me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    good points,
    but is this storyline frothier ? or more heavy duty??
    ....and happily singing the blues doesn't make sense ...

I also believe there's a confession therein of cheating , so no sympathy boo hoos from me!!
    haha i hear ya. yeah i think the situation in Color is someone wasn't very smart

but sups and others certainly has positive, uplifting songs that dealt with more sad content

Nothing But Heartaches
    Floy Joy addresses a roving love interest
    Wait a Minute before you leave
    love the one you're with

I have to admit to dancing my *ss off to BAD LUCK by Teddy P, even though in the back of my mind I was thinking ....this don't make no sense!!! ha!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-24-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Side 2 of Supremes 75 ranks as one of the strongest sides of any Supremes [[60s or 70s) albums ever in terms of quality and placement of songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I have to admit to dancing my *ss off to BAD LUCK by Teddy P, even though in the back of my mind I was thinking ....this don't make no sense!!! ha!
    We’ve all been there Boogie…

Just want to add that Mary is definitely on the background vocals just on some cases buried.