[REMOVE ADS]

Diana, Mary and Florence are the Shindig Pick of the Week

This has always been one of my favorite performances of the original group as well as this song. The three of them are just standing there not doing much, dressed rather plainly but there's some kind of magic emulating from the three of them regardless. I love the backing track and the vocals. Mary sounds great in the background and she looks pissed but it adds to the mood of the song. Meanwhile Diana and Flo look like they're having the time of their lives. I've heard other fans say they don't like this clip because of the way they're dressed but this is Diana, Mary and Florence at one of their many finest for me.

There's a shot on the chorus before the last verse that shows the three of them on the side--I've always wanted this shot to be framed.

So nice to hear Flo on this version.

You can hear Flo? Lol I always thought it was Mary's voice that was prominent on this clip.

It IS Mary's voice

Floy, visually this really isn't a fav performance of mine. While Mary facially looks particularly gorgeous, the dresses do make the group look a bit plain, which is usually not how one would describe the Supremes, before or after the fame. Flo looks as if she had put on some pounds. However, while "Stop" is a song I really don't care for, this vocal and backing track, along with the vocal and backing track of the "Stop" performance on "Where the Action Is", are among my favorites. The girls really do sound great.

Mary is "unusually" prominent in the background here, but are y'all really saying you don't hear Florence's soprano? All you hear is the alto? I can clearly make out Flo.

I love this performance because the track is good [for a non-Motown, but trying-to-be-authentic version by the Shindig house band] and I think the girls sound good, too. Considering how the group eventually shifted into performing sped-up versions of most of their hits, this is pretty darn close to the original. I hear both Mary and Flo--at times one more than the other--and it seems to go back and forth. As a group, I think they sound good in this one.

Name:  0C6F3A57-BA35-45C6-9442-8AF018078994_4_5005_c.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  20.6 KB
    As for the dresses... These shifts were bright, sunny yellow with white polka-dots [and they were absolutely called "The Sunshine Daisy Dollops"--just kidding. If you get the joke, hopefully you laughed!] and they were probably considered quite nice for a daytime, young adult look at the time. The problem for them in this appearance is that it was broadcast in black and white and so the tone of their skin against the golden yellow is entirely lost along with the white polka dots. It's a shame. That said, at this time in the first part of 1965, I don't think the girls hadn't entirely crossed over to performing in gowns and were still wearing daytime dresses during some TV appearances when it seemed to fit. Shindig! was geared towards pre-teens and teenagers and was supposed to be a little less formal--sort of like a party--so to me it made sense that the girls dressed to match the venue. I just can't imagine DMF wearing gowns while standing on those pedestals! Heck, as it was, one wrong move and there was a Supreme-ankle being sliced open on one of those faux-spikes! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Floy, visually this really isn't a fav performance of mine. While Mary facially looks particularly gorgeous, the dresses do make the group look a bit plain, which is usually not how one would describe the Supremes, before or after the fame. Flo looks as if she had put on some pounds. However, while "Stop" is a song I really don't care for, this vocal and backing track, along with the vocal and backing track of the "Stop" performance on "Where the Action Is", are among my favorites. The girls really do sound great.

Mary is "unusually" prominent in the background here, but are y'all really saying you don't hear Florence's soprano? All you hear is the alto? I can clearly make out Flo.
    I can hear both also, it’s wonderful! I love the dresses because it reminds me of how girl next door they started out appearing as. No sequins no rhinestones no ostrich feathers, just cute dresses that you would wear to high school.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I love this performance because the track is good [for a non-Motown, but trying-to-be-authentic version by the Shindig house band] and I think the girls sound good, too. Considering how the group eventually shifted into performing sped-up versions of most of their hits, this is pretty darn close to the original. I hear both Mary and Flo--at times one more than the other--and it seems to go back and forth. As a group, I think they sound good in this one.

Name:  0C6F3A57-BA35-45C6-9442-8AF018078994_4_5005_c.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  20.6 KB
    As for the dresses... These shifts were bright, sunny yellow with white polka-dots [and they were absolutely called "The Sunshine Daisy Dollops"--just kidding. If you get the joke, hopefully you laughed!] and they were probably considered quite nice for a daytime, young adult look at the time. The problem for them in this appearance is that it was broadcast in black and white and so the tone of their skin against the golden yellow is entirely lost along with the white polka dots. It's a shame. That said, at this time in the first part of 1965, I don't think the girls hadn't entirely crossed over to performing in gowns and were still wearing daytime dresses during some TV appearances when it seemed to fit. Shindig! was geared towards pre-teens and teenagers and was supposed to be a little less formal--sort of like a party--so to me it made sense that the girls dressed to match the venue. I just can't imagine DMF wearing gowns while standing on those pedestals! Heck, as it was, one wrong move and there was a Supreme-ankle being sliced open on one of those faux-spikes! LOL
    Lol I always thought these dresses were called Lemon Drop Sunshine Surprise lol

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    There's a shot on the chorus before the last verse that shows the three of them on the side--I've always wanted this shot to be framed.
    Floy, you mean like this? I created this "cover art" for the MP3 of this I have in my music library. I wanted something that wasn't three sticks in the distance! LOL
    Name:  The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love [[live on Shindig! - February 24, 1965).jpg
Views: 241
Size:  71.9 KB

Yes Danman that's the shot! Thank you! I just think all 3 of them look so regal in that shot. Plus the famous Stop choreography. It's says nothing but Supremes.

And I actually can kinda hear Flo on the "baby baby's especially in the first verse.

Yes Danman that's the shot! Thank you! I just think all 3 of them look so regal in that shot. Plus the famous Stop choreography. It's says nothing but Supremes.

And I actually can kinda hear Flo on the "baby baby's especially in the first verse.

A really good version of the song where the focus was more on vocals then dance routines or pretty frocks. Mary loud and clear in those backing vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I
    Yeah, at that point in the game, and on a show like Shindig, the Supremes in form fitting sequins wouldn't work. And this is a great example of how they looked like the average young lady [[relatively speaking), girls next door, having a good time. However, IMO we just never saw the girls look this...plain. The first Sullivan appearance, Lloyd Thaxton, TAMI Show, the Shake dresses...the girls didn't have to be glammed up to give it off. This performance just doesn't have the same air.

That being said, had it been in color, like the photo you posted, my opinion might have been different.

I heard both Mary and Florence in the background. That was nice for a change since Florence was sometimes far too loud and overpowering in the background. When they blended they were magical. On Where Did Our Love Go it was Mary who was the dominant voice in the background[[probably because of it being a rocking ballad that one of them wanted her to sing lead on) but live you heard Florence overpower Mary and to a point, Diana and it didn't replicate what made the single so special. Still, no matter what they wore they had elegance and beautiful style and voices.