[REMOVE ADS]

The Carnival is Over for Judith Durham of the Seekers

The Carnival is Over for the sweet sound of icon Judith Durham of the Seekers at age 79. Open up them Pearly Gates!

Though most from the 60s would think of her as a pop singer, Judith loved to sing jazz and more soulful songs.

With her clear voice she was an icon from 50 years ago with songs written for her [[and the Seekers) such as 'I'll never find another you' & 'Georgy Girl' by Tom Springfield [[brother of Dusty) & 'Someday One Day by Paul Simon.

When she re-joined the Seekers in the early 1990s, she sang 'I Am Australian' [[written by fellow Seeker Bruce Woodley) which since then has been suggested as a new national anthem.

For those who may have never heard of her [[you could think of her as an Australian Karen Carpenter though she deserves to stand on her own record) google the above songs or watch this clip from a decade ago performed in her sixties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYEskzWt6I

She had a remarkable voice. Such a talent. This is one of my favorites:

On another UK thread today, heavenly choir Sandy Denny, Karen Carpenter and Judith. In my UK infancy, not a day went by without her being played on the radio. Spun a disc and drank a JD to her earlier tonight. She was beautiful, sounded the same, whatever she did. Part of my childhood died again this week. RIP beautiful lady.

For those of us of a certain age, Judith Durham was part of our soundtrack to life. Her beautiful voice and the harmonies of The Seekers were ever present on the radio and on TV. Their hit songs were classics.

Judith's 1996 solo album "Mona Lisas" was produced by none other than Gus Dudgeon who will be familiar to Mary Wilson fans. It included my favourite Tom Springfield song "Adios Amor". This is a beautiful video of Judith.

Absolutely love love love her voice. Had all their albums and then found a box set purporting to be complete. Her voice almost seems to harmonize with itself, she sounds more like a group than someone singing solo. "Morningtown Ride" has to be one of the most beautiful lullabies [[that looks strange - shouldn't it be 'lullabys'?).

I never knew she had a solo album! I will have to find some other clips from that.

Thanks MysterySinger!

RIP
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-07-2022 at 02:09 PM.