[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Probably the ability to be done with [[what he considered to be the troublesome) Jean.

Berry was definitely authoritarian when it came to the singers and artists. his opinions were #1. and he didn't deal with at all with people rebelling against his dictates or advice. Diana hated how he would nitpick but she usually didn't rebel against it. for the most part, she took the advice as critiques on how to improve, even if they were delivered in a very harsh and offensive manner. and she's acknowledged the challenges.

Randy mentions that Berry wanted to be invested in his top artists and so he gave this advice. if someone was unreceptive to his advice or dictates, he was essentially done with you.

even on a smaller example - Mary and Love Child. he had a specific task to accomplish - release a fresh super-hot record. mary had a different and conflicting task to accomplish - to get away on a much deserved and much needed break. he was over it once he saw that she wasn't going to follow his advice and stay around for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

As for Jean, I’m not sure how true the story is but there are those who have heard Berry made a pass on Jean the night of the Farewell show. Jean wasn’t having it and rejected him. He wasn’t happy and that’s when he called Mary to tell her he wanted Jean out and replace her with Syreeta.
    WOW
    This certainly supplies the missing piece to this puzzle. Makes sense out of something that didn’t.
    id have never Come up with it because I would never believe Berry Gordy could be this disgusting.

This huge night for all concerned and this is how the leader of it all participates. Then to top it off instead of apologizing for bad behavior, he wants to retaliate.
    What a male chauvinist pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    WOW
    This certainly supplies the missing piece to this puzzle. Makes sense out of something that didn’t.
    id have never Come up with it because I would never believe Berry Gordy could be this disgusting.

This huge night for all concerned and this is how the leader of it all participates. Then to top it off instead of apologizing for bad behavior, he wants to retaliate.
    What a male chauvinist pig.
    I believe it. In fact that's always been my suspicion all along of what went down between him and Jean. Berry got away with too much if you ask me. He was incredibly abusive to Diana and used her to make himself rich.

Berry may have made an empire, but he was definitely misogynistic and he used control to get ahead. That is not to downplay what he accomplished. However, he was very controlling to the Supremes. He was overly critical of Diana as he saw her as a ticket to wealth and beyond. She may have put up with it because she loved him and they were accomplishing so much but at Motown the Musical she sugarcoated it and said he could have been "nicer". He treated Florence badly because she stood up to him, from what I have read. He didn't like his authority questioned at all. Mary was told she couldn't sing and to not worry her pretty little head about anything that she would be taken care of. By 1972, when she did question things and saw only 100k given to her Berry looked at her and the Supremes as a nuisance as he was now taking over Hollywood and these women should not be questioning him. I read Freda Payne's book where she talks about Berry and they were simply not going to negotiate blindly. Berry had to have control. I think Jean was more like Florence in that she would speak out with her own mind. After reading Freda's book, I would say I would not be surprised at all if Berry actually did proposition her and she turned him down. He seemed to be a serial philanderer. That is not to discredit what he had done with Motown, plus women were not treated well in business at all during that time, including entertainers.
    Last edited by jim aka jtigre99; 08-12-2022 at 11:01 AM.

i've heard the rumor too but never anything more concrete or definite. none of the key players, to my knowledge, have ever identified it.

is it possible it happened - of course.

is it likely it happened - wouldn't shock me, given the highly chauvinistic and sexualized culture of motown. so many people have described motown as a hotbed of sexual activity. both the men and the women. does this excuse someone of sexual misconduct, of course not.

did it happen - have no idea

at the end of the day though, if we remove this 1 situation from the overall history, i don't think it would make a huge change. Berry was going to wash his hands of the group regardless of if Miss Terrell gave him a piece of ass or not. without any doubt, berry was going to focus 100% on Diana's career.

the fan myth that motown did nothing for the group post diana is just not true. they had strong support, although some of the decisions being made, in hindsight, might not have been the best ones. but the group wasn't simply shoved into the corner like the Elgins or Marvelettes or Contours. examples:
    *tons of tv show appearances in year 1
    *RO was issued with an expensive tear-off poster
    *NW was issued with complex die-cuts and a gatefold cover
    *Mag 7 also issued with complex die-cuts and a gatefold
    *touch was issued with a companion dj-interview album
    *smokey stepping in to produce an entire album
    *JW brought in as one of the very first [[if not THE first) outside producer to work with a group AND have the material released.

these are all examples of some serious effort and investment. and sales did not bring the anticipated return. at a certain point you have to say "ok it's no longer profitable to keep doing this" Sure maybe if they'd not done the duets or if the NW album was repackaged to be more "hip" or lots of things. but it wasn't a complete blackballing of the group

also jean's attitude and personality wasn't solely because of this speculated event. fans have also chimed in that pretty much from Day 1, M and J didn't see eye to eye

I don’t know specifics or know if there are any specifics but if the ladies were around each other Hitsville, it is possible Mary and Cindy didn’t like her working style or there were personality clashes. There are colleagues at my job that I don’t work with as they aren’t in my department but I’m not fond of them based on how they carry themselves, attitude, and the brief interactions in the office. This could be a similar situation.

As for Jean, I’m not sure how true the story is but there are those who have heard Berry made a pass on Jean the night of the Farewell show. Jean wasn’t having it and rejected him. He wasn’t happy and that’s when he called Mary to tell her he wanted Jean out and replace her with Syreeta.
    Thanks Brad. That all makes sense. I hadn't heard about the pass at Jean on the night of the Farewell Concert. Who knows? Unless Jean steps forward and writes a book or does a 'confessional' interview....and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Thank you for your input.

Is it possible that Diana, having been previously preoccupied with her solo career suddenly realised that Jean, being an extremely talented and versatile vocalist might actually match or even eclipse her own tenure with the Supremes.
    Could she have convinced Berry that it was she who was meant to be unique and as such deemed irreplaceable. Perhaps Syreeta was viewed as a safer option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Is it possible that Diana, having been previously preoccupied with her solo career suddenly realised that Jean, being an extremely talented and versatile vocalist might actually match or even eclipse her own tenure with the Supremes.
    Could she have convinced Berry that it was she who was meant to be unique and as such deemed irreplaceable. Perhaps Syreeta was viewed as a safer option.
    i don't think diana had any malevolent views about the group. on the contrary i think she really did and does care about the group. i think she's sincere when, talking with Oprah and others, about how she cherishes the fact that, to a generation of young women, the supremes represent so much. while she certainly remembers that pain and turmoil, she says she focuses on the good. and when it was time for her to leave, i don't think she wished mary or cindy anything but the best. there've been a lot of fan comments and stories from insiders that after DRATS, the girls were almost closer than when they'd be performing together. diana would come to shows and support the team, wouldn't upstage them. spoke highly of them

i think she was also trying to give them space to do their own thing. I'm sure she felt a bit bad that jean was forever being compared to her

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

even on a smaller example - Mary and Love Child. he had a specific task to accomplish - release a fresh super-hot record. mary had a different and conflicting task to accomplish - to get away on a much deserved and much needed break. he was over it once he saw that she wasn't going to follow his advice and stay around for the record.
    If that's the case. Many have questioned the validity of Mary's "stories".....the Jean Terrell "incident" to be the prime example......"if that really happend".....

So we shouldn't then assume that Mary's "Love Child" is any different?

i don't think diana had any malevolent views about the group. on the contrary i think she really did and does care about the group. i think she's sincere when, talking with Oprah and others, about how she cherishes the fact that, to a generation of young women, the supremes represent so much. while she certainly remembers that pain and turmoil, she says she focuses on the good. and when it was time for her to leave, i don't think she wished mary or cindy anything but the best. there've been a lot of fan comments and stories from insiders that after DRATS, the girls were almost closer than when they'd be performing together. diana would come to shows and support the team, wouldn't upstage them. spoke highly of them

i think she was also trying to give them space to do their own thing. I'm sure she felt a bit bad that jean was forever being compared to her
    Perhaps my machiavellian mind is going into overdrive here. A consequence no doubt of watching to much Miss Marple.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    If that's the case. Many have questioned the validity of Mary's "stories".....the Jean Terrell "incident" to be the prime example......"if that really happend".....

So we shouldn't then assume that Mary's "Love Child" is any different?
    completely agree. Randy does mention it too, although I'm assuming his source is Mary. and let's be honest, M and C were so rarely included in the studio work for DRATS, why would Love Child have been any different?

Randy also mentions that story, following the Copa opening, of Berry remarking to Flo about her funny ad libs and how he'd like her to do it a certain way. she supposedly said it was her lines and she'll come up with how they're delivered.

of course now that we have the Live In Paris tracks, Flo's comedy lines [[although a bit different) were in the show months prior Copa. so the whole story of Flo suddenly and unexpectedly ad libbing at the Copa isn't completely true. maybe the team didn't want the ad libs at a "classy" joint like the Copa and Flo did them anyway. don't know. but Copa wasn't the first time. so not sure if this "day after" story is accurate or maybe she ad libbed them in Paris and this is really the day after that show.

even if the story isn't true, i believe the essence of the story is. Berry was a workaholic and always going. we've all known people like him. if you don't meet or exceed his level of devotion, drive and diligence, you're practically dead to him. you're not worth his time and effort. Diana was 100% aligned with this - perfectly aligned in every aspect. hence this insanely powerful professional connection between the two. my assumption also is that the romantic grew out of that initial perfect professional alignment

probably just about every other singer and act didn't match this maniacal level of focus. mary and flo wouldn't have, even if they have more focus and drive than other singers there. both D and B were SOOOOOOO unique and peculiar in this aspect that there just wasn't any hope for anyone else to connect this way with B.

Perhaps my machiavellian mind is going into overdrive here. A consequence no doubt of watching to much Miss Marple.
    Diana really did want the group to succeed and deeply cared about them. She spoke very highly of Jean. When “Bad Weather” failed on the charts, she was quoted as saying how concerned and disappointed she was that the group was struggling to get a hit.

Jean was fine, but no one, repeat no one, could match DR & the S’s. Any attempt or hope to meet or exceed their greatness was guaranteed to fail.

I’m sure there are more fascinating evil thoughts in ur head than Miss Ross’ exploits lol

I don't know why people are talking about "sexual misconduct" at Motown. Sounds to me like everybody was consenting. I've never once heard anything about anybody being sexually assaulted. In fact, they talked about all the shenanigans with a sense of fondness. Especially about Smokey's "equipment."

That’d make for a whole nother topic to explore : At Motown, who’s zooming who ??

So many of Syreeta’s recordings would have worked brilliantly for Diana, as in the “Stevie Wonder Presents” album, along with “Born Again”.
    I so wish she had worked with him a little more over the years, especially during the 80’s.

So many of Syreeta’s recordings would have worked brilliantly for Diana, as in the “Stevie Wonder Presents” album, along with “Born Again”.
    I so wish she had worked with him a little more over the years, especially during the 80’s.
    I have a suspicion and I know others do too but I think a lot of the songs on the Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta album were intended for Jean/Supremes for what would have the album producing “Bad Weather.” I can hear Jean easily doing any of those songs.

The saga that just keeps giving. Perhaps Stevie and perhaps with encouragement by others of the highest rank determined not to waste these latest numbers on The wayward Supremes so he made the move to waste them on Syreeta instead.

Except for "Born Again" with Billy Preston, she never really did chart. There may have been a number of reasons Gordy was looking for her in the Supremes. Her spotty chart action and general inconsistency makes her less appealing in the long run than Jean Terrell. In fact, besides Diana Ross, only Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne seemed to have the loyalty to the group. Mary and Scherrie both seemed to consistently carry on after the group disbanded. Terrell seemed to have become disenchanted with show business after her A&M solo release, it was surprising she became a member of the FLOs. Anyone have any info on what enticed her to sing with the FLOs? Scherrie seemed to have soldiered on as a partner, a solo, a member of the FLOs and a songwriter and playwright. Susaye Greene has also continued to write, perform and become an artist. It seemed Syreeta didn't catch on except for her one song with Billy Preston.

^^Money ??

If Gordy hated Jean for having the audacious nerve of not desiring him enuff to can her, surely years later he had little interest in their having any further success. So MAYBE , he advised Stevie to abandon his project with them as futile after the lackluster reception of BAD WEATHER, and divert his energies on Syreeta with that material instead. Berry would even put Wonders name prominently on the cover if he did so. Berry had no way of knowing it was a collection of what would prove to be duds.
    Odd it is to me , that Stevie provides no vocal support on PRESENTS , if nothing else to return her the favor. And duets were always a Motown favorite .

And it would make his ‘presents’ proclamation more tangible.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-14-2022 at 12:18 AM.

Motown was always a business, and if the executives determined a new supremes albums was DOA, then they should put resources to better use. Ross faces the same situation today. No exec is interested in her new products, sadly including expanded editions of her old stuff. They are not interested in the few old people with one foot in the nursing home wanting it. [[OUCH)
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-14-2022 at 10:42 AM.

I have a suspicion and I know others do too but I think a lot of the songs on the Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta album were intended for Jean/Supremes for what would have the album producing “Bad Weather.” I can hear Jean easily doing any of those songs.
    I’m intrigued brad. What leads you to believe that songs from the album might have been intended for the Supremes?. I agree in that many of the songs from the “Presents” album would have been a perfect fit for Jeans voice, especially “Ended Now As Lovers” and “Heavy Day”.
    ”Your Kiss Is Sweet” was a sizeable hit in the UK, reaching #12 on the pop charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Motown was always a business, and if the executives determined a new supremes albums was DOA, then they should put resources to better use. Ross faces the same situation today. No exec is interested in her new products, sadly including expanded editions of her old stuff. They are not interested in the few old people with one foot in the nursing home wanting it. [[OUCH)
    The 'one foot in' would be me. LOL!

I’m intrigued brad. What leads you to believe that songs from the album might have been intended for the Supremes?. I agree in that many of the songs from the “Presents” album would have been a perfect fit for Jeans voice, especially “Ended Now As Lovers” and “Heavy Day”.
    ”Your Kiss Is Sweet” was a sizeable hit in the UK, reaching #12 on the pop charts.
    i think there was speculation from one of the books that Stevie prepared quite a few tracks but only recorded a couple, in case BW didn't hit. and that some of these tracks then ended up being used by Syreeta.

The Syreeta album is really lacking overall especially lyrically imo. Maybe that’s why Stevie declined having his voice pronouncedly included.
    Is this one of those agreed to projects thats part of a divorce settlement.

i think there was speculation from one of the books that Stevie prepared quite a few tracks but only recorded a couple, in case BW didn't hit. and that some of these tracks then ended up being used by Syreeta.
    Many thanks for the info sup. I think it would have been a great album for the Supremes, perhaps with Mary leading on a couple of the songs.

The Syreeta album is really lacking overall especially lyrically imo. Maybe that’s why Stevie declined having his voice pronouncedly included.
    Is this one of those agreed to projects thats part of a divorce settlement.
    I totally disagree. I think it’s a beautiful album that hangs together really well. So much better then having a hodgepodge of songs by various producers, thrown together to compile an album.
    I think the fact Stevie had his name emblazoned on the cover makes it likely he was more then proud of this work. It certainly deserved more then it got, although she did manage to score a major and a minor hit with two of its songs in the UK.

quite a few fans have stated that they've never clicked with BW. that it's too funky and not really in-line with the "Supremes sound"

as i mentioned in the Lynda thread on here, the girls always had an elegance about them and BW is probably the furthest they'd gone from their "elegant" sound. not saying it's rude or crude or unrefined. it just goes much more in the funk area than anything they'd done before.

an BW is a really right in-line with Stevie's sound. so maybe Stevie was too far outside the Supremes sound. maybe they should have gone more with what Smokey was doing at this time with his first solo lps. or marvin's sexy lush style

I totally disagree. I think it’s a beautiful album that hangs together really well. So much better then having a hodgepodge of songs by various producers, thrown together to compile an album.
    I think the fact Stevie had his name emblazoned on the cover makes it likely he was more then proud of this work. It certainly deserved more then it got, although she did manage to score a major and a minor hit with two of its songs in the UK.
    That’s fine. I gave it a causal listen and never got captivated. But I also didn’t invest much in the process. COME GET THIS STUFF I presumed to be the best as it was first chosen as a single. It’s underlying good funk, but what’s missing, horns ?it’s also a bit choppy almost like two songs threaded together imo. Maybe the word stuff worked better at the time than it sounds to me now too.

i wouldnt exactly say Stevie’s name is emblazoned, more politely positioned , and being mean I suppose the cover looks like someone snapped an unexpected Polaroid of her at a cocktail party. All seems rather b grade.
    What’s the best cut for you Ollie? I’ll YouTube post it here and give it a better listen !….[I hope you don’t say spinnin’ that one really stuck out as dragging on. He haw.]

That’s fine. I gave it a causal listen and never got captivated. But I also didn’t invest much in the process. COME GET THIS STUFF I presumed to be the best as it was first chosen as a single. It’s underlying good funk, but what’s missing, horns ?it’s also a bit choppy almost like two songs threaded together imo. Maybe the word stuff worked better at the time than it sounds to me now too.

i wouldnt exactly say Stevie’s name is emblazoned, more politely positioned , and being mean I suppose the cover looks like someone snapped an unexpected Polaroid of her at a cocktail party. All seems rather b grade.
    What’s the best cut for you Ollie? I’ll YouTube post it here and give it a better listen !….[I hope you don’t say spinnin’ that one really stuck out as dragging on. He haw.]
    Perhaps politely positioned would be a better description lol. I’m not really a massive Syreeta fan, much preferring Diana and Jeans voice. I just happen to think it’s a solid album that should have sold better.
    Favourite track, rest assured it’s not “Spinnin” though the song does have a joyful vibe about it. Best cut has to be the heartbreaking ‘Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers which I really wish Diana had covered at some point.

Ollie I went back to erase most my post but you’d already copied. I think it was Ill conceived on
    My part.

Syreeta is a different sound than usual Motown. I need to listen to her differently

Did Syreeta ever perform on stage with Stevie Wonder? Anyone know if so …..or
    why not ?

Ollie I went back to erase most my post but you’d already copied. I think it was Ill conceived on
    My part.

Syreeta is a different sound than usual Motown. I need to listen to her differently
    Sounds good to me Boog. Spin’ it around.

Perhaps politely positioned would be a better description lol. I’m not really a massive Syreeta fan, much preferring Diana and Jeans voice. I just happen to think it’s a solid album that should have sold better.
    Favourite track, rest assured it’s not “Spinnin” though the song does have a joyful vibe about it. Best cut has to be the heartbreaking ‘Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers which I really wish Diana had covered at some point.

Doesn't exactly scream girl group does it. But quite a precursor to WITH YOU. Maybe she's just on my mind currently , but ONJ could do this one. And I do hear Stevie in there just a tad.

Doesn't exactly scream girl group does it. But quite a precursor to WITH YOU. Maybe she's just on my mind currently , but ONJ could do this one. And I do hear Stevie in there just a tad.

I haven't listened to this song for so long that i’d quite forgotten about the pouring rain intro. I find this song and Syreeta’s performance simply sublime. Probably better suited to Jeans, voice then Diana’s, thinking “I Guess I’ll Miss The Man” with gentle harmonies added.
    Nice guitar version by Jeff Beck, with a lovely moody intro.

I haven't listened to this song for so long that i’d quite forgotten about the pouring rain intro. I find this song and Syreeta’s performance simply sublime. Probably better suited to Jeans, voice then Diana’s, thinking “I Guess I’ll Miss The Man” with gentle harmonies added.
    Nice guitar version by Jeff Beck, with a lovely moody intro.
    That is really nice and that song would have fit many singers during that time. I am glad that Syreeta had the opportunity to sing it because she does an outstanding job with it. I think Jean, Diana and even Susaye could have been great on this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    That is really nice and that song would have fit many singers during that time. I am glad that Syreeta had the opportunity to sing it because she does an outstanding job with it. I think Jean, Diana and even Susaye could have been great on this tune.
    I think it’s the almost childlike simplicity of Syreeta’s voice that makes the song as affecting as it is. Susaye might have been interesting, as long as her vocal was kept under control lol.
    The song is certainly a standout on the album, and might have been worth the risk of a single release.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-21-2022 at 06:16 AM.

So if Berry Gordy wasn't rebuffed when trying to play footsies with his newly found Ross replacement as has been suggested, or even if he was, why Syreeta, what else might he be seeing in her at this time?? Hmmm ... Stevie Wonder is turning 21 and his Motown contract will be up and due for renegotiation.
    Stevie has just married Syreeta. Hmmmm....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-21-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Syreeta and Stevie married in Sept 70

Syreeta had had a little connection with the group by this time. she did the demo version of Love Child. she also recorded a version of Ladder. someone at some point must have been giving at least SOME serious consideration.

there weren't a lot of other available women at motown at this time who were lead vocalists. Kim Weston, Brenda holloway, Carolyn Gill - all gone. Tammi Terrell - too ill. Gladys Horton, Wanda Rodgers and martha Reeves - all lead singers but none would have been considered.

all of the other women were backing vocalists.

Syreeta and Stevie married in Sept 70
    Yes so by late '69 Stevie and Syreeta are in a heavy relationship fast tracking to marriage. Besides cuddling, she is helping Stevie with his writing and his music career and vise versa.
    Meanwhile Wonder's contract with Motown will expire in '71 and negotiations are not accomplished. Stevie will let the contract run out.

So plausibly something went down in a couple of different ways. Stevie gets wind of the Diana Ross replacement and in his interest of his future wife puts in a pitch for her as a consideration. For whatever reason , perhaps simply because they were too far invested in Jean by this time, it doesn't happen. Maybe Stevie doesn't suggest her, and her candidacy becomes more prudent to Berry further down the line by his own thinking.
    Closer to the actual replacement, perhaps even that night of the farewell, perhaps Stevie and Syreeta are even in attendance. Berry is renewed in thought with the upcoming issue of resigning Stevie. He sees Syreeta and Stevie together and realizes she is a strong link to dealing with him. Maybe Syreeta should be replacing Diana!!
    This is a great gesture toward Stevie and it adds an additional element to Wonder wanting to stay within the Motown fold.
    Perfect!

Yes this involves 'perhaps and maybes' but nothing impossible as a scenario, and it at least affords a path as to how Berry could arrive at such a HUGE decision to switch specifically to Syreeta at the last second.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-22-2022 at 11:00 AM.

there weren't a lot of other available women at motown at this time who were lead vocalists. Kim Weston, Brenda holloway, Carolyn Gill - all gone. Tammi Terrell - too ill. Gladys Horton, Wanda Rodgers and martha Reeves - all lead singers but none would have been considered.

all of the other women were backing vocalists.
    So in answer to, "what did Berry see in Syreeta?", your contention is that she's basically all they had?

So in answer to, "what did Berry see in Syreeta?", your contention is that she's basically all they had?
    sort of. there were a ton of solo female artists at motown. here's just a list of the "lead" female singers that i can think of. other some totally obscure one

martha reeves
    wanda rodgers
    tammi terrell
    Carolyn Gill
    Gladys Knight
    Gladys horton
    Ann Bogan - although hired as a backup singer, she could have sung lead potentially
    Syreeta Wright
    Sandra Fagan [[from the monitors)
    Saundra Edwards [[from the elgins)
    Billie Rae Calvin or Brenda Joyce Evans - The Undisputed Truth women
    Chris Clark

the rest are all backup singers. not that they aren't good singers. but i don't know if motown would have ever considered Kathryn Anderson or Betty Kelly. same with the members of Wonderlove - i doubt Lynda would have been considered for lead, although she could have done it.