[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What Did Berry Gordy See In Syreeta ?

Or maybe it’s what he didn’t see ….
    After listening to her rendition of REFLECTIONS in another thread, I was sort of struck by how nondescript she comes across.

Which caused me to think, PERHAPS when Berry witnessed Jean Terrell premiering on stage as The Supreme’s new leader he thought, “oh, oh this woman has something. She might pull this off. She might wind up overshadowing Diana and her soloing.”

Give a listen to Syreeta's Anthology- the Rita Wright years 1967-1970. She has an incredible voice. Stevie Wonder heard it too.

Berry Gordy speaks highly of her voice too in his autobiography…. but nothing about preferring her as a Supreme .
    Can you give a particular recording or two you recommend ? Let’s bring ‘em forth from YouTube !

I’d say that one of her best is “I Can’t Give Back The Love I Feel For You.” A very strong performance.

I was going to post the same thing many others have: listen to her Rita Wright Years 1967-1970 CD and that will give you a better idea of what was heard than a recording done made in 1990 ["Reflections"]--and an Ian Levine production, to boot. I'm not entirely convinced that Syreeta would have been a better choice than Jean Terrell to lead The Supremes into the '70s, but... there was something appealing there from the late '60s well into the mid-70s.

I don't dislike any of the tracks on the collection, but I do have a few real favorites. Here's the entire set on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m0Ddlf6cEcOPbw

I think Syreeta had plenty of personality depending on the song. "Reflections" is supposed to be moody and somber. If she was squealing and singing joyously, it wouldn't have been the right tone for the song anyway. Check her out.

Here's a favorite--and it was originally assigned to DRATS in '68:

And another fave that's potentially more representative of what might have been with "The New Supremes" [and also originally assigned to DRATS in '69]:

And this one from 1970 that seems very Supremes-ish to me:

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Here's a favorite--and it was originally assigned to DRATS in '68:

And another fave that's potentially more representative of what might have been with "The New Supremes" [and also originally assigned to DRATS in '69]:

this one I find nothing short of fantastic!!

I will say I loved Jean as a Supreme but at the same time I can see Syreeta taking them in a total new direction.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I will say I loved Jean as a Supreme but at the same time I can see Syreeta taking them in a total new direction.
    We might be in the minority here, captainjames, but I agree with you. I think with some work and polish, Syreetra could have developed into a polished vocalist with
    The Supremes. I love Jean, too, by the way.

the problem is in 1970 the Supremes didn't have the time or capability to develop anyone. they needed someone that could step into the role on Day 1 without any hesitation or problems. Syreeta's vocals are nice enough but not special. Jean was

I enjoy Syreeta's recordings. She did some great material but I don't see how her being lead could have taken them into a new direction. Her relationship with Stevie could have benefited them but he was at a point in his career where he was ready to take charge of himself so I can't see him devoting much to the group when he was focused on his own transformation. Syreeta admitted herself that she was Diana Ross' musical garbage can which indicates many at Motown felt she was vocally similar to Diana. Having a second-rate Diana facsimile wouldn't have done much to reestablish the group. Syreeta's voice was pretty much one dimensional - didn't have depth or warmth. Jean, while having similarities to Diana, was different - her voice had color and dimension. And frankly I don't think Syreeta could have done some of the stuff Jean did. The right call was made with Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I enjoy Syreeta's recordings. She did some great material but I don't see how her being lead could have taken them into a new direction. Her relationship with Stevie could have benefited them but he was at a point in his career where he was ready to take charge of himself so I can't see him devoting much to the group when he was focused on his own transformation. Syreeta admitted herself that she was Diana Ross' musical garbage can which indicates many at Motown felt she was vocally similar to Diana. Having a second-rate Diana facsimile wouldn't have done much to reestablish the group. Syreeta's voice was pretty much one dimensional - didn't have depth or warmth. Jean, while having similarities to Diana, was different - her voice had color and dimension. And frankly I don't think Syreeta could have done some of the stuff Jean did. The right call was made with Jean.
    Brad - what are your thoughts on the rumor of Tammi being the lead? of course assuming she hadn't been ill.

i think she had personality to spare. much more like Diana in the regards than Jean. if it had been TMC, you would have probably always known which was Tammi. but as with Syreeta, i think she was vocally too similar to Diana and wouldn't have been able to move the group in a really new direction

I think Mary said she didn't want Syreeta, thinking she'd use the group as a launching pad for a solo career. As it turned out, Jean left after just 3 years, so it might have been interesting to "what if" with Syreeta as lead. Of course, her solo career was filled with more misses than hits, and I can't imagine the 70's Supremes without Jean.

As far as Tammi, I think she had already established herself as somewhat of a solo star, so to have joined a group, even the Supremes, would have been a step back career wise.

The Supremes needed an unknown, so different from Diana. While Jean wasn't exactly unknown, she was the perfect fit, at least vocally.

Wasn't the Tammi rumor started by a fan magazine? Was there any truth to it? Did Tammi ever comment on it before her death?

I always assumed there wasn't much meat to it, just like Jean and Lynda forming a group with Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Wasn't the Tammi rumor started by a fan magazine? Was there any truth to it? Did Tammi ever comment on it before her death?

I always assumed there wasn't much meat to it, just like Jean and Lynda forming a group with Flo.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Motown started the Tammi rumor to keep positive news about her out there. Considering her health, I'm sure she wasn't even a replacement candidate.

Yeah, by the time Diana's replacement was being sought, Tammi was far too ill to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, by the time Diana's replacement was being sought, Tammi was far too ill to be considered.
    true - Tammi collapsed onstage in oct 67. so just shortly after Cindy joined. and i think it was after this that the docs discovered the tumor

so maybe the rumor wasn't for Tammi to replace Diana in 70 but 67. with the whole flo thing, would they have simply had Diana go solo in spring 67 and Tammi join M and F. the group would have remained The Supremes [[never being renamed DRATS).

I somehow find the whole last minute desire by Berry Gordy to switch to Syreeta to be suspect. Hadn't Jean been "groomed" for the transition? What happened at the last second to change his mind??
    And why Syreeta? She'd been under Berry's nose this entire time, yet there seems to be no record of her being auditioned. [?]

Others who know more can correct me , but what I get out of wiki is that Syreeta had never seriously performed publicly [maybe played around some locally in her teens]. She'd never been part of dedicted, established singing group. In her time at Motown she was used in the studio and behind the scenes and in a more solo capacity..
    The Supremes meanwhile, were a highly visible act. Their success was as much about their performing skills, their stage presence , as anything.
    Jean had been on the road with her brother. They had appeared on television. She'd already cut her teeth in such a role and had shown to be capable and reliable.
    Not so of Syreeta, whose claim thus far was to have a quality voice.
    But as we know, just about anyone could be used [or not] to cut a Supremes record, so that wasn't really the bottom line. What was needed was someone who could fill those shoes publicly .... to carry on the show in Vegas, on TV, etc..

Which is why I ask what did Berry see in Syreeta --- someone who was so untested [?] ....

in regards to why Berry was suddenly changing his mind, i believe it had to do with Jean's overall personality and attitude. She had very strong opinions about what she sang, how she sang it. Berry was very patriarchal and so having someone really say "no i don't agree with that note or point of direction" would be quite disrupting. also motown would have been forcing the glamour girl image upon her, which really wasn't her style either.

jean was/is a sensational singer. but you might be able to say she is just a good entertainer. i would imagine even in the earliest of dress rehearsals, Diana would have been on fire, performing with such vigor and passion, as if she was actually live on stage in front of the biggest audience. she just had that "spark." Jean did not, frankly very few do. So i think the reality of the pretty massive change in personality, drive, over-achieving ambition would be a lot to deal with

also i think berry just didn't really give a fuck. he saw jean in miami and, rightfully, was really impressed with her voice. Bayou and others mentioned this. Berry definitely knew Ernie from the boxing circuit. So here's this strong singer and she's sister of a boxing buddy and she's leading her group - perfect, let's drop her into the Supremes. done. berry doesn't have to think any more about the Supremes, cuz we all know he's going to be thinking 100% about Diana, not the "new Supremes"

So he's already done with the group. and now he's having all sorts of headaches and issues with jean. so he prob figures, can her ass and drop in whomever else - ok syreeta is available, we'd talked a bit about her anyway since she sounds like Diana. case closed

Mary's bit about Berry saying he washed his hands of the group - he did that anyway as of the early morning hours on 1/15/70 even before he called mary up. once the curtain dropped on the final Farewell show, berry was done with the Supremes regardless of it's membership

Very good Sup. OR as i hinted at in the first post, Berry now saw in Jean more than he'd bargained for, and saw real potential there for a group he'd easier wash his hands of....not really a part of the master plan where Diana leaves the group behind and she herself soars to superstardom untethered by her competing past.

I have to reread what Berry writes about Jean in his auotbigography.

He says very little about Syreeta and certainly nothing about her being a good choice as a Supreme. He makes no elaboration about Mary's version one way or another.

I do have another hmmm thought , from reading his brief Syreeta mention in his book ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Very good Sup. OR as i hinted at in the first post, Berry now saw in Jean more than he'd bargained for, and saw real potential there for a group he'd easier wash his hands of....not really a part of the master plan where Diana leaves the group behind and she herself soars to superstardom untethered by her competing past.

He says very little about Syreeta and certainly nothing about her being a good choice as a Supreme. He makes no elaboration about Mary's version one way or another.

I do have another hmmm thought , from reading his brief Syreeta mention in his book ...
    Regarding Syreeta,
    1. It may well have been a bluff, perhaps born out of fear that this new exciting grouping might actually match or even eclipse the success of the original lineup, making Diana appear a lot less unique.
    2. He must have assumed what Mary’s reaction would be, thus providing him with the excuse of washing his hands of the group. He was after all a man who liked to gamble.
    Food for thought.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-08-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    1. It may well have been a bluff, perhaps born out of fear that this new exciting grouping might actually match or even eclipse the success of the original lineup, making Diana appear a lot less unique.
    2. He must have assumed what Mary’s reaction would be, thus providing him with the excuse of washing his hands of the group. He was after all a man who liked to gamble.
    Food for thought.

and I like to eat !!

Maybe even a bit of reverse psychology thrown in ..... making Mary embrace Jean by having her defend her preference for her. Who knows maybe Mary and Syreeta weren't that tight ....
    Oh that Berry, what a scoundrel!!

and I like to eat !!

Maybe even a bit of reverse psychology thrown in ..... making Mary embrace Jean by having her defend her preference for her. Who knows maybe Mary and Syreeta weren't that tight ....
    Oh that Berry, what a scoundrel!!
    He really was a bit much at times lol.
    As regards reverse psychology, what Mary really should have said is “Jean happens to be right here with me my love, let me put her on”.

he really makes no comment about Jean other than saying she was wonderfully talented and they [[motown) were thrilled. i think he mentioned Ladder and maybe SL? saying they were hits and the girls were on their way.

he does make a statement about how he would be focusing primarily on DR and that Mary understood this. that she knew he wouldn't be with them now day in and day out and understood the professional relationship between BG and DR. but that he was fully confident the team focusing on the Sups would be great.

Here is what I think Berry saw in Syreeta -

Who knows maybe Mary and Syreeta weren't that tight ....
    Cindy once stated she and Mary didn't get along with Syreeta during that time. I think that adds into Mary's defense of keeping Jean.

Here is what I think Berry saw in Syreeta -
    The Beatles saw a lot in Billy Preston too but didn't ask him to replace John Lennon

I think Berry also saw the ability to sing like this, beautiful.

https://youtu.be/jEWXYc46f8E

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I think Berry also saw the ability to sing like this, beautiful.

https://youtu.be/jEWXYc46f8E
    Yes, she had a voice that I think Berry would say he could use to "cross over". Also, I think Syretta had some song writing abilities that may have been utilized and her connection with Stevie could have helped in some ways as well.
    I

and her connection with Stevie could have helped in some ways as well.
    I
    it’s about time someone picked up on this !
    Now we’re getting somewhere !

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

Many years ago, Harry Weinger and I talked about Syreeta - as we both have very similar views. We both thought Syreeta was incredibly beautiful - and I know whenever I saw her, it was like being hypnotised. No other singer at Motown has ever had that effect on me.

Syreeta was an incredibly beautiful and talented singer [[and songwriter too).

I can see what Berry Gordy saw in Syreeta - and whilst she may not have had the prolific stream of hits as others artists had, she did have some amazingly good material released [[such as "Stevie Wonder presents...").

A beautiful voice - and this performance [[which CaptainJames has shared with us) demonstrates the range, the sweet sound, yet haunting voice of Syreeta.

I know some of her LP have been released on CD, but I'd like a company such as Real Gone to release all of them ... and I'm sure there are many, many tracks hidden away in the vaults with Syreeta singing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Regarding Syreeta,
    Food for thought.
    It was a bluff, but not out of fear. Gordy knew what he had in Diana. The Supremes' continued success without her couldn't shake that. Instead the bluff was because of your reasoning #2: he knew Mary wouldn't go for it, providing him the out he needed so that when Mary accused him of abandoning them [[which Gordy knew he would do as soon as Diana left) he could point to this moment and say "If you had gone along with my new plan...".

Berry Gordy was no idiot. While I question some of his ideas, and I definitely think he had tunnel vision, he wasn't stupid. This man had put a lot of work and hours in training Jean prior to January 1970. He had announced her as Diana's replacement in the press and allowed her to be publicly introduced onstage with the group during the finale. Anything about Jean that would have caused him concern- her attitude, her work ethic, her voice, her look- Gordy would have long before noticed it and made the change. The night following the finale? That's the night he suddenly decided "Nah, the group needs someone else"? I don't buy it.

Syreeta had been with Motown since 1967, I believe. If Gordy thought she was worthy to step into Diana's shoes, he never would have had to look for Diana's replacement. He had a soundalike right there at the label.

Yes Berry suddenly pulled Syreeta’s name out a hat ? How long was the Supremes transition plan in the process? Years ? There had been plenty of time to vet her, yet I’ve yet to hear she was. Surely a logical thing to do was to get her on stage in some capacity to observe her stage manner.
    which also has me wondering, Syreeta was so close to Stevie wonder, as close as possible , yet he never had her on stage or had her perform with him? Odd.
    or did he ??

Later, during the ‘Stevie Wonder presents’ phase, did he ever actually physically present her ?

Yes Berry suddenly pulled Syreeta’s name out a hat ? How long was the Sipremes transition plan in the process? There had been plenty of time to vet her, yet I’ve yet to hear she was. Surely a logical thing to do was to get her on stage in some capacity to observe her stage manner.
    which also has me wondering, Syreeta was so close to Stevie wonder, as close as possible , yet he never had her on stage or had her perform with him? Odd.
    or did he ??

Later, during the ‘Stevie Wonder presents’ phase, did he ever actually physically present her ?

So here's my two cents:

The story goes in the wee hours, just after the "Farewell" show, Berry calls Mary and says he wants Jean out, and Syreeta in. Mary says "no", Berry says he "washes his hands of the group".

This is what doesn't make sense to me: by January, 1970, Jean had already been in the studio recording with Mary and Cindy. Likely wardrobe fittings and photo sessions have taken place. Berry may have been a gambler, but he was no fool with his money. This would have been thousands and thousands of dollars. He clearly had met Jean several times by then. So any "attitude" she might have had shouldn't have been a surprise. Yet he liked Jean up until the last performance, then suddenly says no?

Is it possible that something happened that night between Berry and Jean? Did something go on between Jean and Diana? Had they met prior to that night? Did Diana think Jean was competition for her going solo? On the flip side, did Diana think Jean wasn't the right fit for the group she was exiting?

I just find it hard to believe that after Berry and Motown and the Supremes spend time and money and then introduce Jean to "the world", that Berry suddenly says "oops, just kidding".

Maybe that convo never took place.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Thats always been my two cents on it.
    If Berry Gordy wanted Jean out of the group then he would have put her out. Honestly, I don't think Mary could have stopped him. He was the type of man that would have said well you can leave too and either build his own brand of Supremes or retire them altogether. If the Supremes were making money for him with hit records and the company then that was all good for him. He already had plans for Diana with movies and to be honest getting a hit record on Diana was not at the top of his list. He was now setting his goal on making her a movie star.

Did Berry ever address this in "To Be Loved"?

This is a pretty big "Motown Myth"; you'd think over the years he would have addressed it.

Did Diana give her thoughts or opinions on who the new lead singer would be? I find it hard to believe that Diana wasn't consulted, formally or informally, about her replacement. I've never read her thoughts or opinions on who should have been lead singer. Surely Mr. Gordy would have asked her.

Okay, I know we all know that Mary's books contain inconsistencies and contain recollections that have been confirmed to be something different in this age of recording accessibility, but is the picture of Mary Wilson really one where she sat around with a pen in hand, paper in front, a thoughtful look on her face, as she said to herself, "Hmmm, what can I write next? Ooh, I know! How about I say Berry called me in the middle of the night, even though that never happened."

And didn't Cindy confirm that Berry expressed his desire to replace Jean with Syreeta? I could swear I've read her saying as such.

Thats always been my two cents on it.
    If Berry Gordy wanted Jean out of the group then he would have put her out. Honestly, I don't think Mary could have stopped him. He was the type of man that would have said well you can leave too and either build his own brand of Supremes or retire them altogether. If the Supremes were making money for him with hit records and the company then that was all good for him. He already had plans for Diana with movies and to be honest getting a hit record on Diana was not at the top of his list. He was now setting his goal on making her a movie star.
    I've said that before. If he really wanted Jean out, he would've just done it. Giving Mary a call would have been a courtesy, but the plan would already be in motion. The only time he ever let Mary in on the decision making was when Operation Fire Florence was put on the table. And the only reason she was included then was to ensure that there wasn't a Mary mutiny, which could have derailed the group even more than firing Florence, since Gordy knew Diana wasn't ready for solo and adding two new girls to replace the two originals would have killed the group right then and there and probably stunted any chance Diana had to move forward because the public would have put the blame all on her.

Any appearance Gordy gave that Mary had the power to veto his decision to remove Jean and replace her with Syreeta was purely a tactical move. Whatever Gordy wanted for the Supremes, he still had the power to get it done and the girls would just have to mope and pout their way through "Up the Ladder" and "Stoned Love" with Syreeta in the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Did Diana give her thoughts or opinions on who the new lead singer would be? I find it hard to believe that Diana wasn't consulted, formally or informally, about her replacement. I've never read her thoughts or opinions on who should have been lead singer. Surely Mr. Gordy would have asked her.
    Maybe, but I could see a world where Diana wasn't the least bit concerned with who, what and how of the Supremes after her leaving. When it became official that she was going out and someone else was coming in, I imagine she turned her focus to any plans about her upcoming solo career and let Gordy, Mary and the others concern themselves with the Supremes. Makes sense that at some point Jean and Diana would have been introduced. I'm sure Diana cared that Mary, more than anyone else, was given the opportunity to continue success as the Supremes, and so in that sense, Diana cared. But it's hard for me to believe that Diana was ever giving a second thought to the chick assuming her role, not when she was on the eve of getting the very thing she had been dreaming about for years.

Berry makes no mention of ever having an issue with Jean or wanting her out or anything. jean gets about 3 sentences in TBL. basically the standard story of seeing/hearing her in Miami and knowing she'd be the perfect asset for the group

Cindy does confirm the general story that, at some point, Berry wanted Jean out. She mentions a big blow up between she and mary vs Berry. of course she wasn't in mary's suite at the time of the call

Given some of the irregularities in mary's book about super specific facts, it's possible that the phone didn't happen 100% as she wrote it. of course it could have happened as stated. or maybe it was a couple night before the 14th. maybe he was trying to get her out BEFORE the big final farewell. also she doesn't make any reference to any problems or discussions or strained relationship prior. were the other producers getting a bit annoyed with jean and her apparent attitude? were berry and jean arguing in the studio? who knows. was berry making hints to M and C that he's starting to change his mind?

Maybe, but I could see a world where Diana wasn't the least bit concerned with who, what and how of the Supremes after her leaving. When it became official that she was going out and someone else was coming in, I imagine she turned her focus to any plans about her upcoming solo career and let Gordy, Mary and the others concern themselves with the Supremes. Makes sense that at some point Jean and Diana would have been introduced. I'm sure Diana cared that Mary, more than anyone else, was given the opportunity to continue success as the Supremes, and so in that sense, Diana cared. But it's hard for me to believe that Diana was ever giving a second thought to the chick assuming her role, not when she was on the eve of getting the very thing she had been dreaming about for years.
    in general i agree. i think it was a matter that by the very end of DRATS, there was little interaction between the girls. Sure back in the summer i'm sure Diana at least met jean. their paths might have crossed at the studio or offices. but DRATS were touring constantly and on the road. Diana would have had a bunch of studio time too as she was recording and testing things out. we know of the A&S stuff and the Bones material but that's really it. we don't know what she was doing with other in-house producers. like Clay or Johnny or others. did they experiment with Norman? no idea.

i'd assume that once jean was signed, she would have been spending much of her time in LA. i'd guess that while she was recording all of those tracks that summer and fall, it would have been in the LA studios. my reasoning for that is M and C both lived in LA at the time and so when they weren't on the road with DRATS they would have been there and so the 3 of them could have begun rehearsing the act, working together, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Given some of the irregularities in mary's book about super specific facts, it's possible that the phone didn't happen 100% as she wrote it. of course it could have happened as stated. or maybe it was a couple night before the 14th. maybe he was trying to get her out BEFORE the big final farewell. also she doesn't make any reference to any problems or discussions or strained relationship prior. were the other producers getting a bit annoyed with jean and her apparent attitude? were berry and jean arguing in the studio? who knows. was berry making hints to M and C that he's starting to change his mind?

It is interesting that Mary didn't give any specifics about the problem [s] that Berry had with Jean other than she noticed that Jean didn't follow his instructions as easily as Diana did. Mary also wrote that Berry could have just replaced Jean if he wanted to but he seemed to know that it given enough rope, they would hang themselves. She concluded by saying that Jean ran with the rope and so did she.

I also find it interesting when Cindy said she and Mary didn't get along with Syreeta at that time. That makes it sound as if there was some concerted effort to at least have them be around each other and gel. But again, no detail is ever given on this.

The story would make a bit more sense If choosing one over the other had been an ongoing neck to neck decision all along.

And what could Jean do that first night that could be so egregious ? Did she push Diana , did she call Berry up on stage ? Did she stick her stomach out ??
    Did Jean just appear on stage at the end and take a bow ? If so, How badly can that go ? Did she perform some as well??
    I’m thinking if Berry didn’t want bad press surrounding Diana’s new solo career, he Couldn’t just do whatever and let the chips fall where they may. If the transition turns into a fiasco both entities are tainted. He needed Mary’s blessing, she was the kingpin. Perhaps he called that night hoping to hear her embrace his new decision, looking for support, and instead when it looked like doing so could get out and become headlining trouble , he became angry about it.

Does anyone know 'specifically' why Cindy and Mary did not like Syreeta, other than
    she'd leave like Diana for a solo career. Why wouldn't Jean? Lots of things with this
    situation just don't pass the smell test.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Does anyone know 'specifically' why Cindy and Mary did not like Syreeta, other than
    she'd leave like Diana for a solo career. Why wouldn't Jean? Lots of things with this
    situation just don't pass the smell test.
    I don’t know specifics or know if there are any specifics but if the ladies were around each other Hitsville, it is possible Mary and Cindy didn’t like her working style or there were personality clashes. There are colleagues at my job that I don’t work with as they aren’t in my department but I’m not fond of them based on how they carry themselves, attitude, and the brief interactions in the office. This could be a similar situation.

As for Jean, I’m not sure how true the story is but there are those who have heard Berry made a pass on Jean the night of the Farewell show. Jean wasn’t having it and rejected him. He wasn’t happy and that’s when he called Mary to tell her he wanted Jean out and replace her with Syreeta.

It was a bluff, but not out of fear. Gordy knew what he had in Diana. The Supremes' continued success without her couldn't shake that. Instead the bluff was because of your reasoning #2: he knew Mary wouldn't go for it, providing him the out he needed so that when Mary accused him of abandoning them [[which Gordy knew he would do as soon as Diana left) he could point to this moment and say "If you had gone along with my new plan...".

Berry Gordy was no idiot. While I question some of his ideas, and I definitely think he had tunnel vision, he wasn't stupid. This man had put a lot of work and hours in training Jean prior to January 1970. He had announced her as Diana's replacement in the press and allowed her to be publicly introduced onstage with the group during the finale. Anything about Jean that would have caused him concern- her attitude, her work ethic, her voice, her look- Gordy would have long before noticed it and made the change. The night following the finale? That's the night he suddenly decided "Nah, the group needs someone else"? I don't buy it..
    Me neither. It’s also significant that Syreeta herself has never mentioned anything publicly about her being BG’s choice to lead the Supremes?. It was bluff with means to an end.