[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Christmas Question

I know "Twinkle" and I believe "Christmas Tree" are different vocals on the stereo and mono albums, but I seem to recall there were one or two more. Is this correct, and if so, which ones? Thanks in advance.

CHILDREN'S CHRISTMAS SONG is slightly different from mono to stereo. But not in the vocals, as I recall. Somewhere near the end of the recording, it seems that the remarks of kids, "Merry Xmas everybody!" is in a different place.

In the mono version of Santa Claus you can hear studio chatter from Diana during the bridge.

Also there are no background vocals for White Christmas or Silver Bells.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    CHILDREN'S CHRISTMAS SONG is slightly different from mono to stereo. But not in the vocals, as I recall. Somewhere near the end of the recording, it seems that the remarks of kids, "Merry Xmas everybody!" is in a different place.
    I'll have to listen out for that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    In the mono version of Santa Claus you can hear studio chatter from Diana during the bridge.

Ah, "White" and "Silver" must be what I was thinking about as the extra song or two. Thanks John. I'll have to listen to the mono "Santa" and listen for the chatter. I think the mono "Children's Christmas Song" also has some brief chatter at the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

Amazing how you remember that kind of detail from over 50 years ago but you can't remember what you did last week! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Amazing how you remember that kind of detail from over 50 years ago but you can't remember what you did last week! :-)
    Yes, John, you are right. Even yesterday what's-his-name and I were trying to remember what we had for dinner the night before. We had gone out to eat with friends, Ooops! I have my age as an excuse not sure what his was. Oh yeah, 3 drinks!

As for the mono Christmas album. When I got it when I was 16 [1995 ] I remember thinking when I heard the first two songs that it sounded like a Diana solo album. It wasn't until the Merry Christmas From Motown album came out in 1968 that I heard the stereo mixes with the extra vocals. I thought these were vocals added after Cindy joined the group. It wasn't until years later when I bought a stereo cutout of the album that I realized they were the original stereo mixes.

An interesting bit that I just remembered is that when the album was released the radio stations were playing it. They must have been playing the mono album since I didn't notice any differences. Of course the single was mono and they were playing both sides.

I prefer the mono Merry Christmas album to the stereo.