[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes and/or Diana Ross #1 Songs?

Which song was the fastest to go from the original date of production to #1 Pop Song status?
    Of all the Number #1 songs, "Stop in the Name Love" seems most groundbreaking, along with "I Hear A Symphony".

Didn't "Symphony" hit #1 the fastest? I think I recall reading that somewhere.

both Symphony and You Keep Me hangin On hit #1 4 weeks after entering the Billboard charts. But YKMHO moved into the charts the fastest

Symphony
    released 10/6/65
    entered Billboard on 10/30/65
    hit #1 on 11/20/65

YKMHO
    released 10/12/66
    entered Billboard on 10/29/66
    hit #1 on 11/19/66

Someday took the longest after it entered the charts - 8 weeks to finally hit #1

In the UK, I remember I'm Still Waiting flying up the chart. Something like entering at no 16, then no 4, then no1.

I think Chain Reaction moved very quickly too.

in the US for DR, Mountain went to #1 fastest. it peaked 7 weeks after entering the charts

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    In the UK, I remember I'm Still Waiting flying up the chart. Something like entering at no 16, then no 4, then no1.

I think Chain Reaction moved very quickly too.
    In UK

I'm Still Waiting 16-8-3-1

Once it hit the top 40 and got vital chart plays on Radio One Chain Reaction stormed up the chart but it took a month to make the top 40 - the record company didn't do much for it and it broke through the clubs and discos and rotation on music video channels.

91-69-44-31-14-4-2-1

It almost made #1 a week earlier - by the end of the week it was outselling Billy Ocean and just lost out by 82k to 84k.

Upside Down was incredibly unlucky - it shot up the chart

31-8-3-2-2

In it's fourth week it looked a #1 all the way, leading from the gun [[in fact all the other main charts which compiled up to Thursday had it as the #1) but Abba's Winner Takes It All was on TOTP on the Thursday night and started accelerating.

Even on the Saturday morning Upside looked as if it might just hold on but the big weekend buying family crowd splurged on Abba and it overtook Diana Saturday afternoon to finish ahead by 111k to 108k.

In its second week at #2 sales increased to 124k but Abba was way ahead on 147k.

Even so Upside Down's second week at #2 sale was the biggest weekly sale ever for Diana - Chain Reaction did 115k in it's first week at #1 and 107k in the second week.
    Last edited by florence; 08-06-2022 at 03:50 AM.