[REMOVE ADS]

The O'Jay's "The Last Stop on the Love Train" Tour

So I know this contemporary news can't possibly compete with posts about which other group member coulda-woulda-shoulda been a new Supreme, or which single should have been released 3rd from a forgotten lp 50-60 years ago, but ... There's this little-known group named The O'Jay's. They had a hit or two a while back, not to mention about, oh, about 20 chart lps. They had a last-lp out about a year ago which is excellent and which I tried to stir up some interest in here. Whatevs. So this little, unknown trio is on their last tour, which is a bit of "a thing" since the trio was formed 65 years ago. Whatevs. But, if anyone other than me shivs a git, here are the tour dates. I'll be at the NYC show on August 12 and will be in a joyous state of mind to be there.
    https://www.mightyojays.com/

Gladys Knight is also on the bill with the O'Jays in NYC. Enjoy the show

Yes, they [& Gladys] will be in their home town of Canton, Ohio at the Pro Football Hall of Fame/ Tom Benson Stadium, too. I expect there will be a sellout.

A nice long run for one of the alltime greats, they started as a five man group but over the years after the sixties were a trio with a boatload of hits and great live shows, even the mighty temps couldn't out dance the o'jays and i've seen em both in thier primes, most fans know the hits from the[70's-80's] but these guys were crankin back in the [60's]with gems like- stand in for love.. Oh how you hurt me.. It won't hurt.. Lonely drifter.. Lipstick traces.. I'll be sweeter tommorow.. I dig your act, my hat's off to the mighty o'jays!!!

Eddie has been MIA due to covid and the NYC show was far less than half-full. And on forums such as this the excellent last lp, 'The Last Word', produced by Betty Wright, et al, was utterly and completely ignored. An unfortunate end to a great legacy.

I really like The Last Word PNH!!! My favourites are "68 Summer Nights" and "Start Stoppin".

I would have loved to see the guys live if they came to the UK. But it seems, with this being their final tour, it’s too late for me now… :[
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-23-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I really like The Last Word PNH!!! My favourites are "68 Summer Nights" and "Start Stoppin".

I would have loved to see the guys live if they came to the UK. But it seems, with this being their final tour, it’s too late for me now… :[
    I'm glad to have a supporter of this wonderful lp, Tom! Those are indeed 2 of the standout cuts, but ... I find the entire lp just great. I can't help but wonder had covid not occurred the O'Jay's would have had a greater send-off. They certainly deserve it.

It's a real pity that Kevin Kiley has been thrown off SD, he'd have contributed to many threads in the thoughtful & knowledgeable way he always did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    It's a real pity that Kevin Kiley has been thrown off SD, he'd have contributed to many threads in the thoughtful & knowledgeable way he always did in the past.
    Hey jsmith, where did you hear that Kevin got thrown off of SDF? You mean he was banned? I was able to search for his username 'imnokid' and was able to access his profile. I think maybe he's just taking a voluntary break [either a temporary or permanent one]? I agree that he is a valued contributor.

In response your comment Peace, on the general lack of interest in the O'Jays on this forum, your general feelings have been shared by many other SDF members over the years. Unfortunately this forum lost a lot of soul music loving members to Facebook Groups. Some were also turned off by the Supremes threads that overran this forum for many years, before there were separate Motown and Supremes sub-forums. Sadly, others have passed away. I always say the best way to generate interest and discussion in a particular artist is to take it upon oneself to start the discussion thread.

That being said, I have only ever been a casual fan of the O'Jays, but this discussion has inspired me to try digging a bit deeper into their catalogue, later this week. I went and gave a listen to a handful of songs from their last LP that you mentioned and I liked the production. Based on their vocals, they do indeed sound their age, but I gotta hand it to them, for being in the game for as many years as they have. They do indeed deserve a proper send-off and attention from the public and industry at large. I am getting the sense that a lot of concerts are struggling to sell tickets at the moment, perhaps partially due some covid-adverse/avoidant audiences [can't blame them] and partially due to the recession.

Sad to read that the show you attended was less than half sold. How was the show? Hope it was a good time?