[REMOVE ADS]

Hard-to-find / very overpriced CDs!

Hi guys,

I've been trying to get a copy of the Eugene Record twofer CD The Eugene Record / Trying To Get To You: https://www.discogs.com/release/6481...-To-Get-To-You

For some reason, it is out of stock everywhere except Amazon, which has one copy for over £100.

It's a shame that these tracks aren't available to purchase as an online download, as the price of MP3s are not subject to the same supply and demand. I've had this problem with several other recently remastered CDs [Motown and otherwise] that are not available as a download.

I don't suppose anyone has managed to get this particular CD, before it became incredibly overpriced?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-28-2022 at 07:34 PM.

I have the Eugene Album I can convert to mp3 , amazing Amazon want £4 to £6 a track, what a rip off . Just need to know how I can send it to you. I dont have "Trying To Get To You"
    More than happy to do it.
    My friend Nick over in Detroit I send him mp3's all the time just need an email address.
    The Cd's are crazy money as they are no longer available. I prefer Vinyl.

The playlist for The Eugene Record is on YouTube. Don't know if you are aware:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hZJEiFKgpFJIek

Amazon USA has is for a lot less. $ 56 on CD Used,

Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Eugene-Record.../dp/B00P6R2Q86

I'd check ebay and discogs from time to time too

I've also bought many used CDs from Dusty Groove that were crazy expensive on Amazon, or even unavailable

The one I'd really like, but can't get, is the Love Man 2CD Hip-o select edition of In Our Lifetime by Marvin Gaye. Goes for over £100 on eBay U.K. Having bought the original version, I'm not paying that for a second version so... I resorted to a download. I keep my eyes open though in case it ever turns up cheaper [[but I doubt it will, unless it's reissued somehow).

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    I have the Eugene Album I can convert to mp3 , amazing Amazon want £4 to £6 a track, what a rip off . Just need to know how I can send it to you. I dont have "Trying To Get To You"
    More than happy to do it.
    My friend Nick over in Detroit I send him mp3's all the time just need an email address.
    The Cd's are crazy money as they are no longer available. I prefer Vinyl.
    Thanks Graham, that’s much appreciated. I can private message you my email.

I just find it bizarre that The Eugene Record is available for download [as you rightly say lockhartgary] but Trying To Get To You is not. Why is this!!!?? It essentially means that the remastered version of Trying To Get To You has been forever lost to the black hole of overpriced CDs… :[

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Amazon USA has is for a lot less. $ 56 on CD Used,

Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Eugene-Record.../dp/B00P6R2Q86
    Thanks milven. Even with that lower price, it's still £50 for one CD! Crazy!!

And I’m not sure I can actually order from Amazon US… last time I tried it didn’t work with my UK address.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    I'd check ebay and discogs from time to time too

I've also bought many used CDs from Dusty Groove that were crazy expensive on Amazon, or even unavailable
    Thanks Optimal Saint, I’ll keep looking

Quote Originally Posted by stupidactingsmart View Post
    The one I'd really like, but can't get, is the Love Man 2CD Hip-o select edition of In Our Lifetime by Marvin Gaye. Goes for over £100 on eBay U.K. Having bought the original version, I'm not paying that for a second version so... I resorted to a download. I keep my eyes open though in case it ever turns up cheaper [[but I doubt it will, unless it's reissued somehow).
    Good luck, sas!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-28-2022 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidactingsmart View Post
    It's amazing to me, but I never even knew about the "In Our Lifetime" Expanded Edition. I thought I had all the Hip-O Motown Select releases from back in the day, but apparently this one flew under my radar.

I was somewhat underwhelmed by a few of the Gaye EEs, such as "You're the Man" [[though not an EE exactly, more of a "lost album" I guess), so I probably wouldn't want to pay $50 for "In Our Lifetime," which is an album I'm not all that familiar with anyway, but I definitely regret not buying it when it was first available.

Glad you brought it up so at least I can watch for it and hopefully find it at a decent price. Thanks.

The Love Man Edition is expensive to buy but is also available on download from Amazon at least. I got the download a long time ago but eventually found the physical product at a very reasonable price from Music Magpie.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The Love Man Edition is expensive to buy but is also available on download from Amazon at least. I got the download a long time ago but eventually found the physical product at a very reasonable price from Music Magpie.
    That's an idea. I might start checking on there myself.

In the UK, CDs are generally much more expensive than the US but with postage of $20+ makes it too expensive overall although a couple of times was cheaper to do this even including postage [[also from EU countries now have additional 20% VAT added - Thank you Brexit!).

I missed out on David Ruffin`s "David" CD when it was first released and ended up paying nearly NZ $200. before more copies were found! After that, anything that`s new is released I buy it instantly, and generally from the originator. Fortunately I`m right up to date with releases and very hungry for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I missed out on David Ruffin`s "David" CD when it was first released and ended up paying nearly NZ $200. before more copies were found! After that, anything that`s new is released I buy it instantly, and generally from the originator. Fortunately I`m right up to date with releases and very hungry for more.
    This is what turns collectors into obsessives!

I too have the same back story. I didn't buy the Supremes box set "This is the Story" when it came out as it only had a handful of unreleased tracks from the "Promises Kept" section. Later of course I regretted it, but fortunately one of our fellow SDF members sold me one of his copies, even at the original price not the exorbitant sum the box was then going for [[and still is I think). Love my SDF brethren!

After that I [[thought I) bought everything. I even bought the DeBarge set which I still don't think I've ever played!

Once bitten, twice shy? Or just obsessive-compulsive collecting? You be the Judge, as they say...