[REMOVE ADS]

Big Bird by Eddie Floyd

This is one of my favorite Stax songs/records. So intense. Anyone else a fan of this song?

I had never heard this one before, but I like it!! It defo has a rock swagger about it, like something The Spencer Davis Group might have recorded. I actually think it sounds quite ahead of its time as well. Nice one, Spreadinglove!

According to the notes from The Complete Stax/Volt Singles 1959-1968 collection, Eddie was on a flight trying to get to Otis Redding's funeral. The plane he was on couldn't get off the runway due on mechanical problems and he had to wait six hours for the next plane. Eddie came up with the phrase 'get on up big bird' while he was waiting. "Big Bird" is one of my Favorite songs from the Stax era.

Yep, bought this back in 1968. A very muscular, storming delivery. Powerful. I am about to list this on disc
    ogs, where there is some demand for this 7 inch

Everything about this record--vocals, the guitar, horns, beat--are so intense and driving. I really lose myself while listening to this.

I had no idea about this song! Eddie Floyd is one of my favorite Stax artists.
    Gotta add this to my playlist. Thanks for posting & the story about it!

https://rockremnants.com/2015/08/08/...d-eddie-floyd/

Big Bird was not an R&B success. It didn't chart at all on the R&B charts. I thought at the time of release it was a bit more rock oriented than the usual Stax productions. I also thought the same about William Bell's recording of Born Under A Bad Sign, a song which has had massive success, crossover appeal and numerous covers.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

love it

I remember when I heard this for the first time

It was disc 5 or 6 of the Beg Scream & Shout box set

10 seconds in I was completely hooked

What is THIS!!?? WHO Is this??!!

Great song that should have been [[and still) played on oldies station as often as Knock on Wood

Shame that it isn't

I think I've only heard in on SirusXM Soul Town a handful of times in years I've been listening to that station

I also bought it when it first came out. Great record.

Great track - didn't get much of an airing in the UK when first released. In the UK, 6345678 and Raise your hand were the most popular tracks amongst 60s Mods althought they too were not played much outside the clubs.

If any of you have a supscription to Apple Music, check out this playlist of Eddie Floyd's Best of Stax.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/sta...oyd/1443233048

Big Bird is one of my favourite's "Raise Your Hand" another great record. Don't miss out on his recent Bio ! issued in 2020 a must, Eddie originally from Detroit & most of his records from Memphis & Stax!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxnZk0BxyA

He also wrote songs for other artists, one other of Eddie's I would recommend is by Groover Mitchel & St. John & The Cardinals " Take Your Time & Love Me"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz2O2yAi9nA

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 08-03-2022 at 04:08 PM.

I remember that this track seemed to have one of the best intros ever and people would rush to the dance floor but for some reason, radio [[ie BBC Radio 1) just didn't act on it in the same way. We sadly didn't have the pirate stations any more. Great track though and not heard it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Everything about this record--vocals, the guitar, horns, beat--are so intense and driving. I really lose myself while listening to this.
    Remember hearing this in the UK on the radio when it first came out [[think it was Emperor Rosko show but may be wrong) and absolutely loved it. This was a few years before I knew about the Stax label.
    I read somewhere that all the instruments on this track were played by Booker T himself and not Cropper, Dunn, Jackson - can anyone confirm?

More or less a straight lift from Eddies Bio, encourage all to get a copy, it's a great read.

"Big Bird" became a song after Otis Reddings plane crash and funeral, but more so it was Eddie Floyd catching a flight to get to Otis's funeral, the plane he was on was taxiing down the runway & came to a halt. Eddie was nervous about missing the funeral but also the plane having been repaired and back on the runway, & that was were "Get On Up Big Bird, Cause I Got to Make It" came from.
    After Otis funeral Eddie got together with "Booker 'T' . Al Jackson was then brought in as the drummer & Booker T played the other instruments, No Steve Cropper or any of the others.
    Hence "Big Bird" Eddie, Booker & Al.

Attachment 19813
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 08-08-2022 at 05:00 AM.

Eddie also did some great tracks before Stax in Detroit for Lupine and Safice labels, my favourite being "Set my soul on fire", much simpler but "raw" sound to Stax recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    More or less a straight lift from Eddies Bio, encourage all to get a copy, it's a great read.

"Big Bird" became a song after Otis Reddings plane crash and funeral, but more so it was Eddie Floyd catching a flight to get to Otis's funeral, the plane he was on was taxiing down the runway & came to a halt. Eddie was nervous about missing the funeral but also the plane having been repaired and back on the runway, & that was were "Get On Up Big Bird, Cause I Got to Make It" came from.
    After Otis funeral Eddie got together with "Booker 'T' . Al Jackson was then brought in as the drummer & Booker T played the other instruments, No Steve Cropper or any of the others.
    Hence "Big Bird" Eddie, Booker & Al.

Attachment 19813
    Had my eye on this book for a while now but keep buying CDs instead. Must pause for a while and buy it.

Hi!

Please find my review of the book below:

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep5_2020.htm#eddiefloyd

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I had never heard this one before, but I like it!! It defo has a rock swagger about it, like something The Spencer Davis Group might have recorded. I actually think it sounds quite ahead of its time as well. Nice one, Spreadinglove!
    You are right about it sounding like a Spencer Davis jam...you can almost hear Stevie Winwood singing this one.

I think Eddie Floyd is so underrated, including by me. I never listened to him as much as some of the other Stax/Volt artists.

The amount of talent that was around at the time is simply staggering, all things considered.

Thanks for the find, SpreadingLove!

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Please find my review of the book below:

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep5_2020.htm#eddiefloyd

Best regards
    Heikki

Nice review, Heikki! I forgot Floyd was also with the Falcons. Like the Dominoes, that group had so many stars.

Eddie Floyd was touring the UK when Otis died. He had to get back for the funeral & so headed off to Heathrow airport for his flight home. The rest of the story is detailed above ...Attachment 19814