[REMOVE ADS]

The Allens Motown 1340 March 1975 "A Bird In The Hand"

Released on 27 March 1975, "A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush)" by the Allens credited writers E Holland and N Whitfield and shows published by Jobete in 1965 and Stone Agate in 1975.

Everything points to this being the same song as released by The Velvelettes - except it isn't. It's a piece of pop in The Osmonds style [[as is the "B" side "California Music").

It was produced and arranged by Michael Lloyd for Mike Curb Productions.

But I'm puzzled by the writing and publishing credits - all seems a bit weird.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2179...wo-In-The-Bush

I had an MP3 of this song years back, but it became a casualty of a hard drive crash. I've never been able to find it anywhere in the years since. Very frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I had an MP3 of this song years back, but it became a casualty of a hard drive crash. I've never been able to find it anywhere in the years since. Very frustrating!
    There's a promo 45 listed on Ebay.

Here's a Stock copy for you, not my cup of tea though. It is the same song as the Velvelettes record from 1965, note the date on the record. Here is the link to the Velevettes original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO39y9C2450

Not even on Youtube its so bad, I could record it for you as MP3 but not sure how I would get it to you & it would be the first time I have ever played it.

Attachment 19791
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-27-2022 at 03:59 AM.

I have it on 45 and it definitely is not the same song as recorded by The Velvelettes.

And to prove it- direct from the 45 and on YouTube for the first time [[lol)

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And to prove it- direct from the 45 and on YouTube for the first time [[lol)

This is such an obvious knock-off of the Osmonds One Bad Apple.

Thank you, Mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is such an obvious knock-off of the Osmonds One Bad Apple.
    Sounds like The Dooleys

Funnily enough a mate of mine was a drummer with The Dooleys.

The Osmond connection is obvious and indeed Allen [[Alan) Osmond wrote the song "High Tide" which was recorded by The Allens.

The Canadian issue of "A Bird In The Hand" is revealing, however, as it credits Irwin Levine and L Russell Brown [[the guys who wrote the big hits for Dawn [[Tony Orlando)) as writers and the publisher as Pocketful Of Tunes. So there's the truth.

https://www.45cat.com/record/m1340fca
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-27-2022 at 06:14 PM.